SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Should I Worry or Not?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Should I Worry or Not? « Previous Next »

alicia hutson
Neonate
Username: Akhut81

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to all Im new to the board. I have a 6 yr big appendix mare that is in foal for the first time. Her "due" date of 340 days was on 2-25-2011. Now my worry is that she has not bagged up at all, no signs what so ever that she plans on foaling any time soon. She was vet checked in foal at 45, 90 and 120 days, no fescue hay as she is on alfafa. So should I call the vet or ride it out till 360 days? Thanks

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3811
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't worry about the fact that she hasn't foaled yet...i'd let that go. What i would worry about is the fact that she has no udder. Some maidens get an udder after foaling, but I wonder if you're prepared just in case she doesn't? Do you have colostrum and domperidone on hand?
Have you seen foal movement? and are you absolutely positive she's still in foal? Ordinarily, you'd have signs of some sort by now.

akhut81
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes ive seen/felt the foal moving, I do not have any colostrum or domperidone, do you think I should?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, keeping in mind that Seramune takes a couple of days to get (unless your vet just happens to have some on hand, which is unlikely) and the foal needs colostrum the first 12 hrs of life.....I'd probably have that, just in case the mare doesn't come into any good colostrum. It's relatively easy to come across domperidone...many horse vets are likely to have it during foaling season. The good thing about Seramune colostrum replacer is that it is packaged sterile, and it has a 3 yr shelf life. So even if you don't use it this year, you have 'insurance' for the next 3!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3146
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Diana says, it's not uncommon for maiden mares to not develop an udder prior to foaling. Additionally, as she points out, there is no reason for concern about the gestational duration (see this article for more details (follow the link).

Be cautious about possible use of Domperidone given the above. Domperidone will have a negative impact on colostrum production and you will almost certainly have to supplement if you use it.

All in all, I would not see anything that you have written describing your situation that would cause me alarm. Just be patient.

akhut81
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok thank you for the help, this being my first maiden mare its a little nerve racking. The vet said not to start worrying till 360 days and he does have the domperidone but said not to use it unless its an absolutly necessary. Jazz is currently 348 days today and still nothing so guess we will see.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 542
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a mare that was not a maiden not get any udder until 3 days prior to foaling. She went from no udder to completely filled so....

akhut81
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of today Jazz is 350 days and still no udder.She is eating well turned out daily and in her paddock at night. I just dont understand why she wouldnt have some sort udder now? I plan on putting up some pics later of her.

akhut81
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazz still no udder at 356 days vet says not to worry and i posted some pics under 2011 foal watch, still worried that she has no udder,

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Akhut81, do you have other pics of this mare? She doesn't really look like she's bred and at 356 days....are you positive she's not open?

Cheryl Johnson
Neonate
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious. Any foal?

akhut81
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL nope nothing, have a repro vet coming tomorrow at 2 pm hopefully she will tell me something....heres hoping....

Cheryl Johnson
Neonate
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us know, okay? I can imagine how hard it is to wait like that, thinking she is in foal...

akhut81
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The repro vet came out and confirmed that she lost baby. Vet said she couldnt tell why or when she lost it. Havent yet received the results of cultures she took.I have taken Jazz back to the stud farm so hoping for better news this year.

Sara
Weanling
Username: Sznanners

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Your mare lost her foal. Hoping you do get better news this year!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US