SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Urine from Umbilical Stump

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Urine from Umbilical Stump « Previous Next »

Pam Romjue
Yearling
Username: Pammysue

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone

I just noticed Maxim urinating and he drops and pees, but some urine drips out from his umbilical stump. What do I need to do?

Thanks so much!
Pam

hedgerow farm
Weanling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get the vet out first thing tomorrow morning. He will probably cordarize(?) it and put the foal on antibiotics. It could lead to joint ill. It is usually caused by a colt not dropping his penis fully when he urinates, it is like having a kink in a hose, it will leak out the weakest point, the navel.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call your vet. It is a condition called patent urachus and is self-fulfilling until intervention stops it - as long as it remains wet it wil not seal, and as long as it doesn't seal it will keep dripping and remain wet.

The risk - and it is significant - is that you have an open access point for pathogens right into the core of the foal's body which is going to present a major chance of neonatal septicaemia.

Your vet will probably use a cauterizing agent such a silver nitrate to start with to see if it will close up with just that. More resistant cases may require surgery. Antibiotics are a good precaution.

Pam Romjue
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, thank you so much!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, it's not caused by the foal not dropping, but by the umbilical stump not sealing correctly. Some colts drop, some don't. There's not a correlation to those that don't and patent urachus :-)

Paige D
Breeding Stock
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pam, my colt had the exact same problem. My vet cauterized the stump with silver nitrate, and then had me giving him shots of Naxcel twice a day to prevent infection. Everything went fine for a few days, then he "sprang a leak" again. She came back out and cauterized it again, and after that I never had any more problems. She also had me dip the stump in diluted betadine just in case he had picked up any bacteria while it was open.

But DEFINITELY call your vet! This is important!

Pam Romjue
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys! Called the vet, had to leave a message so I'm just waiting for him to return my call. Now, he's being a pill today and won't let me catch him - any suggestions????

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably chlorhexidine as a dip is better than an iodine based one, as the iodine based dip tends to retard healing.

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True that, Jos, but I didn't have any nolvason on hand, so vet said it was Ok to use the super diluted betadine.

Pam, is there any way you can get them in a stall? At least then you'd have a smaller area to try and play "catch me if you can" in. Playing hide and seek in circles around mom is soooo much fun, don'tcha know. Let us know how things go!

Pam Romjue
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Paige, they are in a 22'x44' pen. And, yes he LOVES hide and seek!!!! He just looks at me with that halter and rruuuunnnnsssss around and around mom!

Ad TB
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pam, had a colt with a similar problem this year. It was a patent urachus, it developed about 4 days after birth. We put him on antibiotics and sprayed navel daily with chlorhexidine. It's important to try and get the vet and get the navel as dry as possible because the last thing you want to be dealing with is a joint ill or navel ill

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps it would be good to keep the bedding as clean and dry as possible? Just a thought. Hope the vet gets him fixed up soon.

Pam Romjue
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Everyone

Just had the vet out. He checked him out and said it didn't look bad at all and he cleaned it out and gave him a shot of penicillin. Said to clean it out once a day for 3 days and give shot once a day for 3 days. Thinks since it was starting to heal that this is all he'll need! I'm so relieved!

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear it, Pam. But like Jos warned me, so I'll pass his advice on... Keep an eye on it. I'm glad I did because I caught my guy's re-occurance early. The patent urachus are tricky little devils, and can easily cause big problems.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might also check with the vet to see if there should be some additional antibiotic given, as although good against many gram-positive bacteria, there are quite a number of gram-negative bacteria which may not be sensitive to it, and which are present environmentally and are common problem-causers - e. coli and Pseudomonas to name but two...

Pam Romjue
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the heads up Jos. I will call the vet now.

And, I watched Maxim pee this morning and NO drips!!!!!!!! I will continue to keep a very close eye on him and like you said Jos I will call the vet about additional meds.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice! You all are awesome!!!!
Pam

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us know what happens, okay? I agree with you. Our members and host are awesome!

Pam Romjue
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Guys!

Maxim seems to be doing really well. I was gone this weekend, but husband was home and said he didn't drip all weekend! So, fingers crossed we are done with that!

Thanks again everyone for all your help!!!!
Pam

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 03:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray! I love happy endings!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US