SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Somethings not right or I'm just worried for nothing.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Somethings not right or I'm just worried for nothing. « Previous Next »

Susan
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres a lady on here that just posted about the hypoxemic foal and I think I have the same problem.
when my filly was born on May 30th she did the same exact thing, went limp eyes rolled back and had no response what so ever and then woke up, got up and nursed like nothing happened.
Now she has not done that that I know of since and just lastnight my son had went out to check on her and she was laying flat out with her eyes looking toward the ground and would not respond to his calls or anything and he came in and told me and I knew what it was, she did that when she was born.
When I went out there she was fine. Just sitting up and looking around. She got up and nursed alot and starting playing with me.

I called the vet today and he said it did not sound like a seizure but maybe she's just in a deep sleep. I mean she acts totally normal otherwise.
Has anyone else had this wierd thing happen.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, I wish I could offer some help, but I can't. Hopefully someone who can will respond.

Are there any tests the vet can run to try and figure this out?

If you can catch it on video somehow, it would probably help, but I understand how hard that is, since she seems to do it so infrequently. Anyway, I hope she is okay. It would freak me out too.

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well so far she's doing just fine. I haven't seen her do it again. The vet thinks I'm nuts anyway.. He didn't think it was anything to worry about anyway since a siezure makes them twitch and move so he thinks she's just sleeping deep.
I do know that she is soooo sweet and loves people.
I'll keep everyone updated and if anything changes I'll let you know.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as human seizures go, one does not necessarily jump or twitch. There are several kinds, including the ones where a person stares off into space and does not respond to anything around them.

So I think I would ask for a second opinion. But I'm very glad she is doing well and is a people lover. They are so much more fun then!

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip, I dont know what it was when she was born but I didnt see it when my son said she did it, He is only 10 years old. I went out as soon as he came and told me and she was sleeping in the normal position. She acts completely normal and I have not seen anything out of the ordinary at all. So I'll just keep a close eye on her.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3495
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, at one time I had a foal who used to come running....Went out to pasture one day called and whistled, and couldn't find her anywhere...the other horses came to the barn,and she never did. Finally decided she must be on the wrong side of a fence...stepped up on the ridge of the pond and saw her laying about 75 yards away. I called again, and whistled....nothing. Oh crap, she's dead i thought. So i went over there, still calling her name the whole way, and it wasn't until i stood next to her head and put my foot on her face that she JUMPED up...it scared the S**% out of her and out of me too!!!! She was sleeping so hard. It was a riot, but i seriously thought she was dead. After that , i wanted to kill her !! LOL

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, you are hysterical!!! I needed a laugh today, so thanks!

Susan, I hope you are worrying for nothing too. Please let us know if it happens again. i do know foals can really go into a deep sleep. What do they have to worry about, right? Mom stands over them and keeps all the bad things away!

What do you suppose horses dream about? Hummnn. Too much time on my hands again.

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 432
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys crack me up!!! lol Diana, I Bet that just made you sick to, thinking she was dead. I'm glad she was just sleeping because when I first started reading your post I was worried, then turned out funny!!!
I dont know what it was that my son seen but, she seems perfectly fine to me.
I do have to say though she is the sweetest most outgoing foal I've ever had. She no longer kicks at me but loves all over me. We run and play together in her pen and she runs along side me or behind me and if I turn to chase her, she stops and tucks her butt under. Its sooo funny!!!

I seriously can not find one thing wrong with her. I spend sooo much time with her that I should of seen something by now. I was also thinking that maybe back when she was born that it could of been like some kind of episode of low blood sugar because it was before she had even nursed. Who knows. I know it wasn't from lack of oxygen because she was born fast!!! My son was taking pics and from the time he took the pic of her front feet coming out and the time she was alreay born and was in the upright position, it was 22 seconds!! I mean her water broke, I walked in and already saw feet. It was so fast I barely remember anything.. lol Thank god I have pics.....

Anyway if anything strikes me as odd I will surely let you guys know...

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad to hear she sounds normal and sounds like you are having a ball with her! Bet that is cute on video.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US