SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Birth deformaties

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Birth deformaties « Previous Next »

Stephanie Detmer
Nursing Foal
Username: Aliskeeper

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How comman are birth deformaties
I have never seen one in 30 years of breeding
untill today..:-(

Pam Romjue
Weanling
Username: Pammysue

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Stephanie. I don't know how common they are, but I'm sure sorry you had to see one today.

If you need to talk about it we're here to listen!

Pam

Stephanie Detmer
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahh.. I'm no stranger to "Life".. but thanks
it was pretty sad...after 7 years of breeding and trying for a filly...and finally getting one and getting this heartbreak.. just seems so defeating....Thanks again

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sad to read your post. What kind of deformity are we talking? One that changes the use of what you had hoped and dreamed for or one that was unrecoverable? The only one I have seen was from a mare that turned out to have an undetected terrible uterine infection...the mare was cleaned out and rebred and since has had two perfect foals. I think it would be really important to do your best to see if it was a genetic problem,a oops in nature, or something like an infection. Anyway you say it that sucks and I am so sorry.

Cyndi
Breeding Stock
Username: Jusblve

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend's mare had a lethal white filly in April, so beautiful but in the end so much heartbreak. I'm so sorry to hear and hope when you feel like talking you'll tell us what's happened.

Ad TB
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry about your foal Stephanie. I don't know the frequency of birth deformities. In the last six years we've had two foals that had to be cut out of the mares limb by limb because they had severly contracted tendons. My fiance also had a mare a few years ago that had to have a cesarean section because she had a deformed foal that she could not deliver. A friend of mine has a large thoroughbred stud farm and they'd foal 100+ mares a year, his mother has photos of a good few deformed foals that they've had over the last 30 years. I'd be interested to learn the type of deformity your foal had.

Stephanie Detmer
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well All..we sent the little filly to Greener Pasture this morning..it was the best thing to do for her..and untill all the verdicts are in after an autopsy...we are told this was probabaly due to a fall the mare took out in the pasture about 2 month before deliver..I'm still in shock...but rememeber the fall very well. ..I will post as soon as the autopsy is back and see what he found.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deformities are rare in the equine as most are identified by nature and the pregnancy lost early on. From that fact (and other research) one can see that the majority of deformities occur during the period of organogenesis which is completed by about day 45. Depending upon just what deformity you have seen (and you do not identify it above) it therefore seems unlikely that the issue was as a result of a fall in the pasture within 2 months of foaling, but more likely longer-standing than that.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry about the loss of your long waited for filly. I send my sincere condolences.

Stephanie Detmer
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your right again Jos
Tt was simple a "birth defect" ..the spine had dupicated it self..it appeared as a hunch back and groesly deformed along the top line
we did the autopsy to make sure it was just that..a freak of nature.. which usually is taken care of by the mares body..... I wish it had been taken care of in the same timely fashion for this little filly.........Thank you for the reassurance that these things just HAPPEN.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US