SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help!! foal getting meaner and meaner

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Help!! foal getting meaner and meaner « Previous Next »

Susan
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay guys I'm starting have a major problem and its only getting worse. At first it was funny and cute and now, Not so much!!
I had a mini filly born Sunday May 30th and she wont stop kicking and bucking at us. She is a very curious foal and absolutely loves people. Not shy at all!!! If your in with her and you ignore her she will turn and kick and turn right back around to be touched. She never runs away she stays with you. She never kicks out of fear, I think its just out of aggrivation or just wanting to play. She also is very mean to her mom and she is constantly kicking her.
How do I disipline her or do I at her age? My daughter and I got in her stall lastnight and now my daughter is scared of her because all she wants to do is play and kick and did kick her several times and those tiny feet do hurt. I know from experience when they come in contact with your shin.
I think I picked the wrong name for her. I'm thining more of piss and vinegar!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan,
I had a mini mule do this very early on too. Here is what I did. I kicked her back. I let her know it was NOT acceptable to kick. Another horse would kick her back. I planted it right on her hind end. I dint have to kick hard just enough to let her know I wasnt going to tolerate it at all. As I kicked I yelled NO LOUD, and I chased her after.
It took her a while to come back to me, maybe 15 minutes. But when she did she came back with a new respect. Any time she even thought about kicking me after that I would yell NO and step towards her.
I am sure some will think I am mean, but having a mule, horse, donkey that kicks is not funny. Especially as they get bigger.
She turned out to be a real sweetheart. Never kicked at anyone. Loved Human attention too.

Paige D
Breeding Stock
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Holly. I did the same with my colt. Best to do it now, while they're still relatively small and "harmless". You don't want to try this when they're bigger and stronger. She's trying to tell you she's the boss, and you have to let her know in return that you're in charge. You can also try turning your butt toward her and cocking your leg like you're threatening to kick.

Also, another communication trick horses do is stamping. By stamping your foot, you're also conveying that you're in charge. If they stomp back, they're challenging you. Just make sure you get the last stomp in, or else they win. Seriously, try it with your other horses. I bet in the least they'll prick their ears or focus their attention on you.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3457
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Susan, do just like mom would!!! She will not tolerate bad behavior , and neither should you. Strike fast and loud with great fury and vengance!! Yell, kick and stomp...basically, scare the bejezzus out of her when she does that to you. She has to know that you are alpha.

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay This morning I did have to kick her butt but I cant believe she stood there and backed up till she got close and tried to kick again and so I had to do it a little harder and she actually ran off and then walked up real slow and calm. lol
Mom for some reason is letting her do this to her to. She keeps kicking mom in the face and Bryon does nothing about it.
If mom moves while baby is nursing, Precious turns and kicks like crazy till mom stops.
She is very demanding. Like I said at first it was cute but not now... I think 6 days old is at least not to late to teach her its not going to fly around here. lol

Paige, you know the turn your butt thing and lift your foot, well I know that works. Works very well with Bryon and Junior. Although they have never and I mean never even challenged me or tried to kick its just that it seems when I'm working on something in there pen they wont leave me alone and want to be petted and actually keep bumping you and I use that trick and it works awesome.

Okay I'm going to keep working on this and not let her get away with it no more.

Also should I just let mom handle it when she does this to her or should I step in? Its sooo pitifull...

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom will get sick of it and take care of it. My mini mule tore her Mom up for a while. Sandy finally got tired of it and disciplined her :-)

Glad she is coming back calm. It may take a few times but it will work.:-)

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I dont expect it to happen overnight but I wont let her get away with it anymore...

natalie tucker
Yearling
Username: Boondockfarm

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm having the same problem with my filly she like sto rear on you when you turn your back and she beats the crap out of her mom and moma don't care. she reared on me and all but landed on me i chased her thru the whole barn. i have kicked her and body twitched her. i'm scared of her not getting it thru her head and she is going to mature about 16hands. already at 1 month old she is over 10 hands. i am going to try a few of the methods yall have said.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My advice. Get the babies halter broke. They should lead pretty well by two-three weeks. They learn that you are dominate from the get go, even if you get in some battles with them. When haltered, they can't strike, then run away. They are just acting like baby horses. So as soon as you correct them, act like nothing ever happened. But do correct them.

I remember getting help on this board when I had issues with my first foal. People told me to get them halter broke from the get go, but I had no experience and no one to help me who did. So having a new foal was bitter-sweet.

So I went into this year, knowing a little more (took a couple of hands on horse classes) reading and seeing videos. But most of all, I hired a trainer. Has made all the difference.

But even if you can't hire a trainer, you can get your babies to respect you. If you are unable to get a halter on, or get a trainer, then I suggest you carry a crop. When they rear, let their legs come into the crop. That way, it is almost as though they did it themselves. Same thing if they strike out at you. You can also knock them down and lay on them until they quit struggling, if they rear up on you.

With the butt, it can be more difficult. I had to use the crop on my first foal pretty often. He could run away, so it did not have the same impact (his behavior continued).

Still, my foals love their butt scratched and it is a great way to reward them, BUT it also means they are allowed to turn their butt to me. So I'm not sure this is a good thing to do. I have started making them stand beside me and I scratch away, but not if they turn their butt to me. This is something I'm going to ask my trainer about.

Almost everything I have said here, has come from members on this board, at one time or another. I've followed the suggestions and they work. I still consider myself to be a bit of a novice, except for one thing. I know how important it is to halter break these babies early. So I wish us all good luck with these big horses in little packages.

natalie tucker
Yearling
Username: Boondockfarm

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ferrier is also a natural horsemanship trainer i kinda got a bonus a deal. she helps out alot. when i tell her what they are doind she always tells me to stop arguing with them and make them listen. i have all mares and studs. you can imagine my daily routine.everytime my baby rears on me i somp very hard and yell then chase her thru the barn. seh has not reared on me i a few days. but i think she is bidding her time. she is halter broke and leads very well but when she thinks that you are not paying her enough attention she will rear on you. it is hard becouse we don't have eyes in the back of our head.ahh a spoiled baby is worse than one that has never touched i do believe.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The littler they are, the harder it is to see them as big horses in disguise, I think. I don't think the baby is mean. She is just being a horse and getting away with her behavior. LOL.

They are so quick! My filly nipped me the other day when my back was turned and ran before I could get her. Opportunity lost to "make her listen." Thanks for sharing it.

That's a great phrase. "Stop arguing and make them listen!"

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US