SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HELP 4 WEEK OLD FOAL WITH DIARRHEA

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » HELP 4 WEEK OLD FOAL WITH DIARRHEA « Previous Next »

natalie tucker
Weanling
Username: Boondockfarm

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI, AGIAN MY FOAL HAS BEEN DOING AWESOME AND THEN ABOUT 3 DAYS AGO SHE STARTED GETTING DIARREHEA. I HAD TO GET A DIFF. TYPE OF MARE AND FOAL I TYPICALLY FEED LEGENDS BUT THE FEED STORE WAS OUT OF IT SO I HAS TO GO TO OMILINE 300 MARE AND FOAL. I ALSO STARTED USING SAW DUST IN HER STALL ABOUT 1 WEEK PRIOR. SHE EATS EVERYTHING IN SITE!!! I TOOK HER OFF THE OMILINE AND GOT LEGENDS I THOUGHT THAT WOULD HELP ONLY IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE HER BOWL MOVEMENTS HAVE BECOME PURE LIQUID W/ ONLY A LITTLE BIT OF POO.(MAINLY WATER) I CALLED THE VET AND THEY SAID TO GIVE HER PROBIOS 3X DAILY FOR A COUPLR OF DAYS SINCE SHE DOESN'T HAVE A FEVER AND NOT ACTING MELLOW AT ALL. SHE IS VERY FULL OF ENERGY BUT I KNOW YALL SAY THEY CAN GO DOWN HILL FAST ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS? THANKYOU. CAN I GIVE HER PEDIALITE OR SOMETHING IN THAT CATAGORY TO KEEP HER FROM ETTING DEHYDRATED.

THANKYOU AGIAN
NATALIE

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can also give her some Pepto-Bismol to help with the diarrhea, it will help! Hope she gets better soon!

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i started her on pepto last night. she got her second dose this morning i am going to give itto her every six hours. the vet also told me to give her zantac that she might have ulcers and thats why she is eating everything in site and alot of wood. is that possible for her to have ulcers at this age. i mean she is awful young to have ulcers. she isn't stressed or nothing she pretty much runs the barn at the moment. and i don't let her with the bigger horses only her mom. she gets to communicate with the other horses thru the fence. have any of you had problems with foals having ulcers and if she has them at this age does that mean that she will always have them and require medication.

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thankyou for the advice and the hopes. she has just water coming out ths morning not even anything solid now. i have no idea what to do. i guess i have to give the medication time to work but i wish that it would hurry

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2882
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try and get some stuff called "BioSponge". It's excellent for clearing up loose foals.

Do make absolutely sure though that you're not dealing with a septicaemia situation... That would be critical.

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos how do i do that?
i have been giving her all the meds per vet and she seems to be getting better. she was more loose stool than water still not where it needed to be but getting there. it was very mushy kinds like what you find in a baby diaper. and she is nt going every few minutes. but she has alot of med going into her. i will call the vet about the septicaemia and i will also get the biosponge. thankyou for your help. although it has not bothered her attitude or energy level she reared and planted both feet and my boyfriends shoulders today and since he stands 6ft4 i told him we had to stop that now. she also ate all of her food tonight. i guess the fact that she has been sick for a few days hasn't bothered her just my nerves.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2883
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monitoring temperature, bloods and disposition. It does sound as though you are headed in the right direction, but still keep on top of it.

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well today we had a set back it has turned back to pure liquid. she still has her appetite and her temp was 101.0 she still has her attitude just now were back to water and she is peeing constantly i guess from all the water she is drinking but she peed 3 times in 10min. is that normal. i mean like alot each time. it is the holidays and all the vets say that as long she does not have a temp or acting mellow then she is fine and it probally will work itself out. but when do i say enough give me meds.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3430
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GET THE VET, and get biosponge.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Natalie, I'm so sorry that all this is happening. When I raised calves, many years ago, it was a real challenge when they got scours. I bought a product that replaces electrolites, as that was the big threat.

She needs to quiet her bowel. Possibly prevent nursing for a couple of hours? Of course that might add more stress and make things worse. just a thought.

Please let us know how it turns out. Could happen to any of us, so I'm certainly interested (as I'm sure others are) in what the vet has to say, what you do and how it all turns out.

I'm sure you will keep on top of it.

Sending good thoughts your way.

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks i just got back from the barn. seh still does not have a temp. and very full of energy i'm going to call the vet in a bit but her poo is trying to firm up again i'm getting mushy poo again. i'll let yall know if anything changes. oh and on a side note i think i know whats cousing it. i have my mares all in the barn due to weather and now the are getting mushy poo. the only thing that is different is the fact that i have been saw dust in all the stalls and the horses that like to eat everything are the ones with mushy poo. but the baby has been off of it for a few days nows i think i should be getting better progress. but thanks for the advice and good thoughts.

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i talked with 3 vets adn they are all saying the same thing. they thinkthat as long as s is not running a fever and acting sick then i should just continue on the path that i am on if she does not get better in the next few days say 2 or 3 we are going to take a stool sample and let them look at it. they said it would help to give her yogurt with the live cultures in it with the pepto,zantac, and the probios. heres hoping i have to recheck her temp it was crazy hot today and muggy her and mom both were sweating so i think that the temp i got earlier was off becouse of the weather. i hope that everything is going great with all of yalls babies.

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well she was not running a fever it was the weather. i'm off to the store to buy lots of yogurt and more pepto. i read somewhere that foals go into a foal heat diarreha. is she to old for that to be what this is? i wormed mom about 3 weeks before she foaled with zimectrin. but didn't know that i could worm when she foaled out.is it to late with thebaby at 4 weeks old to worm mom. my vet said that i could worm the baby at 2 months old and then 1 a month becouse they get roundworms easy. and since the baby has scours if i could worm the mom now would it make things worse for the baby. i haveread every where about worming mom even when the baby is about a week old but nothing with the baby being this old. does it matter. well thankyou guys for yalls help.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 458
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Mom in her first heat after the baby. My colt gots scours while mom was in.

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is when it started but mo has been out of heat for a couple of weeks now. she is better during the day when i give her pepto, yogurt, and the probios,and the zantac twice a day. but i don't go over at night every six hours. by morning she is back to having the runny poop almost water. so i am going to take a stool sample to the vet. i am going to give her the meds eery six hours and try to get some mushy poop. my question is that shouldn't she be getting better? i mean i shouldn't have to give her this much medicine all the time to keep her from having the runs. i mean no temp, very active, great appitite. and i have put everything back the way it was before she got the runs. i hae had it back to the way it was for a week now. and still no success without having her on meds constantly. anybody ever have this problem or know soemthing to try i can't find the biosponge anywhere. but the yogurt with the cultures in it has basically the same out come add the good bacteria to help boost the system to get rid of the bad. i amsoo lost right now.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is she now? And what did you do? Did you figure out what caused it?

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey guys sorry sheis finally better her poop made it to where it needed to be a fews ago. i gave her probios,pepto,and yogurt with the live cultures in it. also i gave her zantac twice a day. i went thru 5 bottles of pepto. i guess it was foal heat with a little to much eating of the of wood in the barn. she is doing great now. and at almost 2months stands around 10 1/2 hands high. the vet never came out all three of them said as long as she wasn't lethargic,running a temp, and eating then it should play it self out. i had the vet scheduled to come out and the day before she cleared up. so there was no need to get them out.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad she is okay now. I would have been worried sick. Sounds like your medicine/treatment did the trick. I'll sure keep this in mind if it ever happens to one of mine.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US