SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New foal, nursing issues

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » New foal, nursing issues « Previous Next »

Cindy
Weanling
Username: Cweber

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a new foal last night at 10:30pm. Mom is a maiden and though protective did not want foal to nurse. I tried most the night (holding grain etc) but I could not even get a halter on her as she was being aggressive towards me (not her normal behavior at all!). I could hear the foal sucking under there when I held the grain but not sure if she was on the nipple or not as I could not see (bit too dark)and trying to watch out for the mare. I called the vet at 4am and they said to give it until 8am and if she still wasn't nursing to let them know and they would get some colostrum for her. Well I finally had a helping hand at 6am (first light) and with panels we managed to trap her in the corner with her foal. As soon as she was trapped her whole attitude changed, she let the foal nurse (first good nurse that I know of) and I put a halter on her.
I have since kept her today in a small area (4 panels to make a really small stall) and they are doing pretty good. However, as soon as the foal wants to nurse she starts spinning circles and not letting her. Yet if I go out and lightly grab her halter she stands fine and lets her eat. I have been going out every 1/2hr-45 min but not sure I can keep this up all night. Any suggestions or do I have to just keep doing what I am doing. Would love some thoughts...Mom is a good mom otherwise.

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden was the same. It is just sore at first. You have to hold her still and let the foal nurse every two hours. At night, I got up twice to do this... then back to every two hours the rest of the time. Check the foal's IgG soon to make sure your foal is on track. The mare should start letting her nurse on her own... and it might be that you are trying too often (wait 2 hrs. before trying again). I even had to twitch my mare the first few times to make her stand there and do it. Look for your mares milk to be running, that is a sign the foal isn't nursing or getting anything. Also, you can mistake edema for a big bag of milk... which was the case with my mare. The second day.. late in the day, the foal was nursing on its own.. mare willing. It's only a few days of misery, hang in there and all should be okay! Good Luck! Maidens, ugh!!

Cindy
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Just got in and foal is nursing on her own. It really helped that I milked out one side a bit since the foal was only nursing from one side and the other was tight and hard. I don't think that was helping matters. They seem to be figuring things out.
Murphy's Law that when you are concerned about it they figure it out!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad things are going better for mare and filly. Congratulations, by the way!

I hope her IgG is okay. Please let us know how things turn out.

Ad TB
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get her IgG checked, it's really important if she did not suck properly for the first few hours, even if she's sucking now still get it checked. Things that are helpful for the mare are to give her some pain relief, banamine to make sure she's comfortable, if she's very full milk her a little, sometimes a shot of oxytocin will help the mare drop down her milk. Good luck, hope all goes well

Cindy
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I haven't been on for a few days. Yes, I had her IgG checked,all looks great and she is doing wonderful now. Mom and her have worked all the kinks out and nursing is no longer an issue. Here is a picture of her at 3 days old... http://www.cindyswarmbloods.com/Fawn.html

Paige D
Yearling
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looks great, Cindy! Glad things worked out well.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoorah! So glad all is well. She is beautiful. Would love to see her color as it develops.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US