SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare is not very nice to her foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mare is not very nice to her foal « Previous Next »

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 463
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is her first foal and although she does seem to watch out for her she is just not very nice to her............ if the foal brushes against her, like trying to be close to mom, she will squeal and put her ears back....nip her in the butt and will also kick out. Not really at the foal but just like she wants her away from her. She does let her nurse but not for long.... at least twice a day I tie her and stand there so the foal can nurse as long as she wants. But the other times she only can nurse for a short period of time.
Also she is in heat right now and I am wondering if that could be making her grumpier??
I am just wondering with a mother that is not nice how will this affect the foal? I am worried the foal is going to get a bad disposition from her. And this mare is usually the nicest Sweetest horse(hence the barn name Sweetie)just not being very motherly....
and if bred again will she be the same with the next baby???/

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3340
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a mare who does this too, it's only for the first few days though. She does eventually settle down and act right. I actually have my mares on cam when they foal, and many people say, "i can't watch that, she's so mean!" LOL She had her 3rd foal this year, and diddn't do it this year....thank goodness
we worryfor the babies, but mom is the one who has to discipline them....i try to leave these situations alone, as long as they're not actually being violent.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I am just keeping an eye on it.... other than I do tie her twice a day so baby can nurse for as long as she wants(per vet suggestion) he also said at about 2 weeks I can start giving her a milk pellet???
I am glad she disciplines her cause I have had other mares and did not do ANY disciplining and the foals could be so............naughty to horses and people!!
But yes its hard to watch when it doesn't look like mom likes her baby

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy, sounds like you have your hands full. Of course I have no experience with this but I hope everything turns out alright. Let us know. please. I am curious if the mare accepts her more after a few days.

hedgerow farm
Weanling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try giving an injection of Reserpine, it is a tranqs that last about a month, it is given in the muscle. Doesn't work with all mares but worked wonders for my mare. I can't believe your vet did not offer it to you, call your vet and insist on it. I think it cost $30, you can give it yourself. The mare will probably break into a sweat for about 20 minutes.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather not give her a tranq if it can work itself out.............. she is not physically harming baby at all...

hedgerow farm
Weanling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do realize that a baby should be eating every 2 to 3 hour not every 12 hours, that is what helps the mare produce more milk. The baby will need more milk as it get older, your mare might start drying up. Are you milking the mare to make up for the foal not nursing?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US