SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is my colt having "male issues"?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Is my colt having "male issues"? « Previous Next »

Paige D
Weanling
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, my colt was born last Wed. It took until the second day for me to realize he wasn't fully urinating from his penis, that some was coming out the umbilical stump. Got that rectified. A next door neighbor had a mare foal out a colt last Fri, so I popped over to see him yesterday. While we were standing there and exchanging stories and loving all over the baby, he decided to have a pee. I noticed he dropped his penis to do it, and that's when it dawned on me that I have not once seen my colt drop his. I thought I read somewhere that they're supposed to drop it to urinate. Is this accurate? Or is it okay that mine never drops his? Could it be a sign of something else going on?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2823
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some colts drop and some do not. If you have concerns though, you should have him evaluated by a veterinarian experienced in equine neonatal medicine.

Keep an eye on the patent urachus too. That can cause big problems.

Paige D
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again, Jos. My vet ended up cauterizing the stump with silver nitrate, and I've been giving him 4cc of Naxcel 2X day until the end of this week. I also dipped the stump in Betadine for a few more days. The very next day it looked much drier and smaller, and he was actually urinating from his penis, so hopefully everything is going to be OK. Will definitely keep an eye on it, though. Thanks again!

Megan C
Nursing Foal
Username: Drumdoch23

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just from personal experience (I actually had a fit and thought my colt didn't HAVE a penis... haha... first time mom...)

Mine was born on April 19th, not too far off yours.

he took a few days before he "figured out" how to drop it. now he hangs it out to show it off... it'll come. :-)

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megan, that is so funny! I wondered the same thing about my first and even my new colt, as the penis sheath is just different somehow, when they are newborns. I trusted that it was okay, and it was. But I do think it is best to have a vet check (or someone experienced at least). Better safe than sorry.

Glad things are working out Paige.

Paige D
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, guys. (I love the support everyone gives/gets on this board!) After he was born, during one of his first attempts at getting up, I was helping him because we had rain the day before so it was a little muddy and he was having trouble. I had 2 neighbors that also came to watch, and the little guy was right in the middle of making an effort to get up when one of them asked if I was planning on gelding him. I answered yes, and I swear to God, the moment the words left my mouth, he sunk back down to the ground as if to say "Well, the hell with it then! There's no point in getting up!" Maybe he's afraid to show his penis because he's afraid I'll cut that off too!

The vet has to come back out today anyway, so I'll ask her to check him while she's there.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paige..once the learn to drop my experience is the darn ding a ling is out all the time!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3268
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ditto.....don't wish it away paige...LOL Before you know it you'll be posting "why won't my boy put it AWAY???"

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2693
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a colt that showed off any time he could. He'd be walking around just a hanging around, hoping to impress the girls, I guess... or else it was just comfortable, who knows. lol

Anyway, when I'd show my non-horsey friends my new colt, it made my friends very uncomfortable. lol Boys will be boys... lol

sally
Breeding Stock
Username: Sally_c

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 3 week old colt and it took him about a week before he dropped his boy bits now he's happy to let it all hang out lol

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup! Same here Sally. He loves to show it off. When I'm looking out my window, it makes it real easy to tell him and my filly apart. LOL.

In my earlier post to you Megan, I meant to add, "if still in doubt," have a vet check, but I left that part out. It is always a good qualifier though.

Glad he is normal though and I'm sure that after the initial shock of hearing about being gelded, he will be able to stand up and relax, ding-dong-a- dangling, along with the rest of the little stallion boys everywhere.

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too funny - - must be a proud male thing!!! Our 3 yo STILL is proud to show EVERYONE - - including when we were in a halter class (and I didn't realize it :-):-) How embarassing

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US