SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Milk coming out of foals nose while nursing...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Milk coming out of foals nose while nursing... « Previous Next »

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock
Username: Amanda

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare Areselle foaled out on 4/14. Vet came out and gave the colt a clean bill of health. At that time it was noted that every time he nursed that milk would stream out his nose. Vet check and said that he did not have any fluid in his lungs nor any reason that she could see for it to be happening at the time. Said that if it was still happening after 3 days to call and have them come back out. So we are now on day 3 and its not changed at all... any thoughts....

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3205
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have only had one do this, and she did it all the way till weaning. No idea why...but it didn't affect her. She was a very voracious nurser, i always just assumed she was eating too fast LOL

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have the foal checked for the presence of a cleft palate. These may be so far back in the mouth that it is impossible to identify it digitally with the foal standing, and it may be necessary to anaesthetize the foal in order to get a good evaluation.

Megan C
Nursing Foal
Username: Drumdoch23

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that a cleft palate should be ruled out,
but I thought that I would mention that I had a pony that would spurt water out his nose if he ever "chugged" at the trough. he was completely healthy... just greedy at the water trough.

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet will be out shortly. She said that they had ruled out a cleft palate. They are going to give him a vitamin E and Selenuim shot, to see if that helps. They said that if it is still an issue in a week they will scope him. His lungs and every thing sound good still.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did they rule out the cleft palate?

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They opened his mouth and looked at it and put their hands in and felt the roof of his mouth way back, it looked like.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please review my original post on the topic. Hopefully it is not a cleft palate, but as I noted a digital examination standing may be inadequate to rule it out and anaesthetizing may be required (possibly with a videoendoscope).

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, sure hope it doesn't have a cleft palate. Keep us posted. I, for one, will interested in the outcome. I am hoping for the best for you and the foal.

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vet came out today and scoped baby he has a soft cleft palate. We put him down this moring.
Thanks for all the info and support.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3234
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

sally
Breeding Stock
Username: Sally_c

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry for your loss Amanda, my thoughts are with you.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. That is horrible news!!! I never knew horses could have a cleft palate, but then again, it never even entered my mind before this post. It's such a shame...

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw i am so sorry

Cindy Holland
Breeding Stock
Username: Iagrl

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know my sister had a foal a few years back that also had a cleft palate. The foal was leaking milk out his nose when he nursed and the milk went into his lungs. They had to put the foal down since he was getting sick. I feel for you!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2694
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am heartbroken for you...sending warm hugs.

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for all the kind words and thoughts everyone. Mom is taking the loss of her foal hard.. We are thinking we will rebred her on her 30 day heat, maybe that will help her some along with time....

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sad for you and momma. Thinking of you both.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2695
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know when my mare lost her foal we had to sedate her the first 24 hours..it is hearbreaking to hear them calling and searching and frantic. I also had to do lots of hand walking to help her milk dry up because it was just streaming....I am so sorry. This really sucks big time.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a shame...so sorry...hope your mare recovers soon and your heart heals...

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, Areselle is doing better she is turned out with a friend and is calling and searching less each day for her baby. It was a hard thing to go threw but its all part of breeding these great animals..

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, I have been offline for a few days and just saw this.
I am so, so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your mare.

Every year we hear stories of lost foals from one cause or another. It is always very sad. I can't imagine losing one. Hugs.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2679
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How are you holding up Amanda? It's so hard to lose a foal and especially hard to watch a greaving mare.

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are doing ok. Areselle seems to be doing better. :-) we are looking at few different studs for her. I hope that it goes well next time...

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet it will Amanda. Hope you find a wonderful stallion for your mare.

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be taking Areselle to meet a foal that lost its mom today. Any advice on the best way to go about interducing them would be great.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US