SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New to foaling and need advice on my mares milk

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » New to foaling and need advice on my mares milk « Previous Next »

natalie tucker
Neonate
Username: Boondockfarm

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare is not a maiden i on the other hand have never been thru this so i am lost i live 3 miles from my barn and want to be there if she needs help or the vet.her milk is cloudy white but you can still see thru it. her calcium is 150 but her ph is not showing. am i doing something wrong. i bought the test strips that you use to check for hard water. i know they work couse i use them with my aquarium. anybody got any advice i'm lost. i can put pics of her on here if it would help. thank you for any help you can give me i am at my wits end i hac read everything that you can imagine.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3161
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Natalie!
First of all, it's important to know that you're doing the test properly. It takes 1cc of mares milk and 6ccs DISTILLED water mixed together to do the test. it must be measured accurately. If you're doing that, I have no idea why the ph doeesn't show up. But, if your mare is at 150 you still have a wait to go. I have seen them go 2 wks on 150, adn i have a mare who foals about 4 days after 150.....so i guess it depends on how fast the mare progresses. Also, you will notice a change in your mares milk. It will be thicker,and much stickier while wet. Yucky as it sounds to some....put a drop on your tongue. You will notice it is very salty. The night she foals it will either have no taste or be really sweet.

natalie tucker
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the way i'm measuring is 1ml milk to 6ml water i found the do it yourself way off of a website and tha was the way they said do it. but they said wait 2 seconds and read immediatly. should i let it stay in the mixture longer i see several different times and i am not sure how long to leave it how long do you leave yours in.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3162
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it MUst be distilled water.....mix it up, dip the stick in for about 2 seconds, and read after one minute. Usually , i make note of the amount of time it takes each square to change. if the first changes immediately, and the second square takes 30 seconds, and the third takes the entire minute you can get an idea of how close they are. The faster the change, the closer they are to foaling. When she's reading 300 calcium in less than 10 seconds, usually that mare will foal within the next few hours. I dont' know how high your strips measure....but mine have 5 pads and measure to 450. usually when the mares are testing 360 they foal that night.

natalie tucker
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok gonna go and recheck her and see what it says. it's with distilled water. ok maybe i will get it right this time.

natalie tucker
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKYOU THANKYOU ok i rechecked her and her calcium is 150 and her ph is 8.4 i couldn't see how fast it changed becouse she was hitting me to get me to scratch her butt. which she has always liked but lately she can't get enough of!! so i guess i have time to finish my other pasture and plant my garden now. hopefully how often should i check her milk 1 or twice a day. i don't want to keep bothering her more than i need to i know she as to uncomfortable. thankyou so much for your help.

natalie tucker
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have another question is it normal for my mares blood veins to look like they are fixing to explode all her veins are sticking out like she has run a marathon on steriods. and the most activity she gets in walking in and out of the barn in her little lot.i am ot trying to seem like a worry wort but holy cow. anyway no changes in the milk test now that i am doing them right. it is the same as yesterday. i can't wait to see what this foal looks like she is a bay tennesee walking cross and the daddy is a bay tobiano spotted saddle horse/quarter horse cross. that sounds like a fun combination to think of it. well thankyou for all your help and i will put pics up when the baby is born

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, it's normal. Can't wait to see pics! Can you post pics of your mare as well?

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ttp://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad302/boondockfarm/

ok if this works ths is the mom and the dad. they did this breeding all on their on he broke the electric fence and got into her pasture. he has figured out that his thick mane can be used to break the wire without him getting shocked.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awww, great pics thanks!

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i was unable to see thru the milk it was still tinted yellow but getting whiter. her calcium is stil at 150 and ph around 8.4 my strips go from 150 to 300 on the calcium with no in between. but the ph ain't wavering yet. so i guess i'm still ok. do you think that i should let her choose whether shewanted to foal inside her stall or out in her lot. it is only about 1/4 of an acre at best i don't want to lock her up unless i have to for her to foal and really prefer to that the day of so she can wlk and get her exercise she likes to walk the fence lately what do you think would be best i want to ensure both are healthy and stay that way.
thankyou again for your help really appreciate it.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i couldn't own strips with that range....i have one mare who foals at 270 LOL I usually let them out all day, and put them up at night with their halter on. Nothing like having a mare with a dystocia who is in an area too big to catch her in! Or a mare who is overly protective of her foal and no handle!!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many strips out there. Now that spring is here, they are getting easier to find. I agree with Diana. 150-300 is way too much of a spread. I bought my last ones at Wal-Mart. I had to buy a big pkg. of them, as they didn't have a smaller container. It was about $13.00. Well worth it. Heck, even the $40.00 kits are worth it! I love my sleep! LOL.

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well the money isn't the problem i live in BOONDOCKS and it is hard to find anything at the wal-mart where i live and i rarely have time to drive and hour to get to a store that has what i need. but today i'm gonna have to take time. gets me out of builing more pastures for the day anyway:-) i agree i like my sleep to and last night i didn't do my midnight check on her and all i did was dream i delivered that foal all night long!!! i guess yall are on foal watch also
thankyou agian sorry for being so uneducated on foaling. it is great that this site is out there tohelp people.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

getting educated is the reason we're all here....at one point all of us found this website because we had questions we needed answers for. We're all the same, don't worry about a thing! There's also a place online you can order 100 test strips for $50. They don't do ph....but neither do I so it works out. LOL One bottle has lasted me an entire year and 9 mares foaling. I guess if you had a need for that many.....the strips have 5 pads, and it goes from 90,180,270,360,450...very helpful! http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9957211

Paige D
Weanling
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Natalie,about your mare foaling inside or out... keep in mind the size of your stall. If it's only 12X12, it may be too small for her to foal in. You don't want the baby to be wedged up against the wall when it's trying to be born, that could spell disaster. The minimum recommended is usually 12X16.
My barn does not have a foaling stall, and it was constructed in such a way that I cannot remove the wall inbetween 2 stalls to make one big stall. I have a small dry lot and part of the barn aisle that she can move around in, so when I know the time is getting close, I'm going to have to close her out of the stall, unfortunately. Also, keep in mind that (weather permitting) if you can get her to foal out in her paddock, it's always preferable and far more sanitary. Any place that the sun shines on is best, as that will help kill any bacteria, etc, from the birth. Not to mention less mess to clean up! It's what horses have been doing for thousands of years and is the most natural for them. Just make sure you have a light source to see by if you want to leave her outside. Good luck with everything!

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well today i was unable to check the milk she did not want to be bothered. of course i don't blame her with the way that foal has been kicking for the last 2 days i wouldn't want to be messed with it either. she just clamps her mouth shut and looks at me like really get this out of me!!lol all she wanted from me is her massage other than that she was kicking so i let her have the morning i'll try again after while maybe the foal will chill out he kicks her and she kicks her belly its rather funny to watch. reminds me of when i was pregnant with twins and it seemed like they were fighting over space.
as for the strips i'm going to look in anderson today no where around where i live even knows what i'm talking about big city gotta have it. well good luck to everyone waiting on foals big healthy babies and mommies to ya.

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

finally found some strips and she wont let me touch her now go figure!!! i'm gonna get my boyfriend to go with me that way if something goes wrong someone will be there to pick me up couse she is very moody lately. very relaxed around tail head but we will see i am so ready for this foal to be born. i wish i knew how far along she was. vet says that there is no way to find out even if she palpated her. rats it works with cows oh-well i am determined that i am gonna be there for it. at least she let me finish my other pasture adn get my horses over to it. so that isn't a worry now its all about her.

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why and how do you give a foal an enima i see that all ovr the threads and well ok what do i need to do after the foal is born i hav stuff to dip the navel, and tie it off should i need to. also i have colostrum and a bottle should i need it praying i won't also i have towels to dry it. but until this website all my research has said nothing about giving a foal enima<<< think i'm spelling wrong. anyway please can you tell me what i need to do or can i just borrow one of yall:-) thankyou again for your help

Jamie Mix
Weanling
Username: Jmstar74

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is to make the passing of the first poop easier. Check this site out as it tell what each item is for. Hope this helps!
http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/foalingkit.html

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks alot that had alot more onit than the other sites that i have seen. but i do apprecitate it i will get what i don't have. hopefully after this i will know alittle more about this but would feel so much better with somene who has done this before there to go it'll be ok i feel like an over protective mom sending her kid to the mall the first time.

Jamie Mix
Weanling
Username: Jmstar74

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds normal to me!!! LOL and probally most on here do or have felt the same! Don't sweat to.

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i finally won the battle it took two people but i won. her calcium is around 250 but the ph has not dropped enough to worry yet. gonna check again in the morning hope i can get to the store and back tomarrow before she has it. thanks so much for all the help. give yall more updates soon. maybe this week we will have a foal.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Natalie, I could be wrong, but I'd be doing foal watch tonight! At 250, anything can happen.

Welcome to the board. Glad you are getting information. That is exactly what I did three years ago when I was brand new to this. You've come to the right place.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3215
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who foals consistently at 270...I'd keep my eyes open!

natalie tucker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well still no baby. milk is still testing the same. i compared pics today to the last ones i took of her about a week ago and her belly is lower. she can't possibly get any looser around her tail head it is really sloped in that area yesterday she had tiny white dots around not on but around her nipples on her udders. i think she likes making me cancel my plans and just come and scratch her all night. thanks agian fo ryour help. maybe a pic of baby this week. heres hoping healthy babies and moms to you!!!

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well last night her milk tested 300 and she was very restless. she was walking the lot,kicking her belly and swishing her tail. at one point she went down and layed very still then she started rolling and gotup and paced some more this whole sequence was replayed several times until about 2am then she acted like nah not tonight. i hope she does not have it till i get back from running errands

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3230
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like she's getting very close!! They always roll a bit before, i assume positioning the foal! Wahoo!! Can't wait to see it!

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate
Username: Texas_paints

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys,

I am new at this and I have a mare that is 42" she is at day 348 today, and we are doing milk test strips. She has been showing signs of labor for the past 3 weeks. It looks like baby has moved into possition, and her vilva looks very swollen and she started "winking" after she urinates. Yesterday she was curling her lip and pacing the stall. When I test her only 2 turn very fast and the third one turn 7 sec. later. The 4th is only pink on the outsides. I am starting to get nervious, bc we lost her baby last year on Friday the 13th (march) Any pointers to ease my mind.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3232
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she'll foal either tonight or tomorrow! The best advice I can give is to be PREPARED & be PRESENT!!! Both very important things!! Have your cell phone charged, not only your vet, but any other vets in the area on call.....numbers already programmed, etc. Know where you'll need to go in advance and how to get there if you have a dystocia and have to haul her in. Also, don't be afraid to get in there and help out! If her water breaks, and you don't see the little white bubble in the first few contractions, be on the phone with the vet....don't waste any time. Better to pay a trip charge for nothing, than wait too long and miss an opportunity to save it.
I had a mare who lost 2 foals in a row, and it was very difficult to deal with. Of course, it's also difficult to be faced with the situation where it might happen again, but just know that it's very likely to go much better this time. All you really need to do is be there to make sure it goes smoothly, and make appropriate calls if necessary...don't waste time...just DO IT. LOL
Hope all goes smoothly, can't wait to see your pictures in the morning!!
~Diana

I have a bunch of foaling videos posted on youtube so you can see what a normal foaling looks like....just search kdgilger or mystic rock miniatures!

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana for the helpful information. I did milk strip testing last night and the first one only 2 squres changed and the other 2 had pink on the outside rim. I then waited 2 more min and tested the same milk again. That time after a min they all four had change, but the last one still had green in the middle. The only other thing that I worry about is 2 weeks after she bred to our 31" stallion my 2 yr old POA Appaloossa stud tried to breed her. He has never bred or mounted so I don't know if he knew what he was doing LoL! She is 10 hands and he is 12 or 13 hands I cant remember.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok guys i just came back from the barn and her milk is testing 300calcium and her ph is at 7.2 so i guess i'll be camping out for a few days the next time on here i will have pics of new baby.

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning I went to the barn to check Spirit, and over night her bags got bigger, and her teats were about an inch long and now they are bearly 1/2 inch long. I tried to milk her, but I just could not get a good grip on the teat. Is that at lastnights testing she was still turning 2 squares before 20 sec and the other two are starting to turn at a min. There is still green in the middle. I think I am going to go get the PH test strips tonight and use those too.
She has been staying in the stall with lots of water and hay all day, bc you know how TX weather can be!

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAY 350
This morning I went to the barn to check Spirit, and over night her bags got bigger, and her teats were about an inch long and now they are bearly 1/2 inch long. I tried to milk her, but I just could not get a good grip on the teat. At lastnights testing she was still turning 2 squares before 20 sec and the other two are starting to turn at a min. There is still green in the middle. I think I am going to go get the PH test strips tonight and use those too.
She has been staying in the stall with lots of water and hay all day, bc you know how TX weather can be! I don't want her foaling in the rain.

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing that I forget to ask is I have not felt the baby really move a lot in the past 2 days. Is that something I should be concerned about. I called the vet and he said that I should check her more often in the day, and I still do not feel baby that much.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not feeling the baby move in the last few days is perfectly normal....they get into that "superman" position, and don't really have much room anymore!
i'd think that if he tests are still changing from 3 pads to 2 pads, I'd only test her at night. Milk tends to be lower in the morning anyway...sounds as if you're getting an incorrect reading from testing too often.

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I have heard that before. I tested her lastnight, and her bags went down from yesterday morning. I guess they will do that? When I tested her milk lastnight it was the same as the night before, so I guess I am getting the mixture right now! When I was milking her I was talking to my daughter, and the baby started moving around like it was fighting itself. That was a huge relief, so I guess all is well for now.

I will let yall know how tonight goes.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELL MY MARE IS STILL HOLDING STRONG HER CALCIUM IS AROUND 400 AND HER PH IS AROUND 6.5-6.2 BUT WE ADDED A MARE AND THINK THAT SHE IS HOLDING ON BECOUSE SHES MAD ABOUT THE NEW HORSE BUT SHE IS ONT HE OTHER SIDE OF BARN. WE WILL SEE HER PH DROPPD BELOW 7 TODAY SO WE WILL SEE. SHOULD I BLOCK HER VEIW OF THE OTHER MARE WOULD THAT HELP HER TO RELAX AND HAVE THAT BABY.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOD LUCK LISA I CAN'T WIT TO SEE PICS OF YOUR BABY. MAYBE OUR MARES WILL BOTH FOAL OUT TONIGHT AND WE WILL BE ABLE TO SLEEP AGAIN. BY THE WAY HOW LONG CAN THEY HOLD OFF TILL FOALING AFTER THEIR PH DROPS TO BETWEEN 6.2 AND 6.5

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she can't hold on endlessly natalie. With that calcium and ph, foaling is imminent at this point, i wouldn't take my eyes off her

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to the vet this morning and everything looks good. Baby Is in position. Her milk is not as salty today and her bags are hard. We had three sqaures turn in 35 sec. We will be on mare stare tonight. I will let y'all know

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just came back from the barn and still no baby. her milk is looks like the skim milk that everyone says that they get before they foal.of course tonightwe had bad storms and hail. i have come to the conclusion i am going to name this baby stormy. it has had me i 3storms alrady and it ain't even here yet!!!!! maybe tomarrow crossing fingers and saying a prayer

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lisa ihope everything goes well. maybe she won't be as stuborn as my mare.healthy sound moma and baby to you!!!

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry cat is helpin me type. well still no baby i have no idea what she is waiting on.her milk is there and her milk readings say she should have that baby.this is so stressful the not knowing of when sheis going to have that baby.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well still no baby her milk is going back and forth between white skim milk to yellowand thick but her readings are stying with calcium over 300 and ph around 6.5-6.2 so i'll check her in a couple of hours and mayb just aybe she will be in labor.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you test too often, it makes your calcium readings go way higher than what they actually are....this has been my experience this year.

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well still no baby, but she is slowly changes. This morningnher bags were hard and more milk than yesterday. I am not testing tonight bc I am not able to. I will keep y'all updated tomorrow.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Natalie and Lisa-sounds like you are going to have babies any minute! Just hang in there and keep camping out in the barn or get a barn camera. Just when you think they won't foal, they will.

Check milk in the evening, like Diana said. Once the numbers are high, you know she is almost there, so testing in the morning might not be necessary. I would suggest keeping a log too, so next time you can look back at how she progressed. It'll help for next time.

Good luck and give us pictures!! Bet you have babies tonight!

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

still no baby but her vulva has loosene up again her udders are huge. she is very gouchy this morning she has been rolling alot and pawing in her stall she has rearranged all her bedding i guess sheis going to lay on top the pile she has made in the middle..lol gues it's softer well let yall know more soon. lisa how is your mare doing do you have a baby yet?

Paige D
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Natalie, is there any way you can take your mare's temp? My mare foaled last Wed. For several days leading up, her temp steadily dropped from 100.8 down to 100.2 on Mon evening. Tues evening, it had gone back up to 100.8, but her calcium was over 400 and the pH was so low, it didn't even register. (the lowest the chart went was 6.8). Wed morning at 5:30 I took her temp again and it had plummeted to 99.6. Her water broke just over 3 hours later. Their body temp will drop a degree or 2 when they're really close, so if you can check that, it might help give you a better idea.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i do this too as they get close!
just started it this year, but it's been accurate so far!
I had one mare with normal temps at 100.4, foaled at 99.2
and another who foaled at 99.5

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i can get a thermometer tomarrow and check her temp so far no baby i only check her milk everyother day becouse she is getting so grouchy. the closer she gets the longer it taks her to eat her food. i'm gonna take a nap and go back in a few hours and hang out at the barn see what she has on her mind. but i will take her temp. tomarrow and let you know what she has going on. thanks for the advice yall have been so great.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok here is great news i am counting on a baby tonight. she had wax this morning at 7am se has sence been dripping milk and she has not eat any of her grain just nibbling on her hay. she won't leave her stall or the fan. so here is the hope of a baby tonight i think i am going to milk her and put the colostrum up becouse she is leaking pretty bad.

Lisa Jenkins
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Day 355

Hey everyone. Sorry I have not been on in a few days. My son was admitted to the hospital over the weekend so I could not check my mare.

She has full bags now and when I tested her lastnight at 7 o'clock three of the squares turn instantly. The 4th one was at 22 sec. I checked on her at 3 this morning and she was just walking around in the stall. At 9 this morning she still did not have a baby. I know it is going to be today, so I am on watch for the next few hours.
When I looked in her vulva this morning it was light red, and the outside was red too.
When you look inside her vulva it also has little clumps of skin at the top. The bottom of it is all seperated when you open it. Is that normal?

Natalie good luck maybe you are right our babies will be born on the same day. That would be awsome good luck.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3273
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yay for both of you!!! Lisa, if she's got 4 changing , and you haven't tested over the weekend, i'd just bet it's baby time!! Certainly hope your son is ok!!??
BRING ON THE BABIES!!! WHOOT!!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa, is your son okay???? Sure hope so.

Okay-this is it! Babies tonight. Have that talk with those mares! Sending foaling vibes your way. You've both been so patient and on top of things. I just know you will be rewarded any minute!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man Lisa, I couldn't imagine being at the hospital worrying about your son and worrying about the mare too! I hope everything is alright with your son.

Good luck ladies!!! Hope we hear of new foals on the ground soon!

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys Landon is doing great he is 3yrs old and he had Croup. (Viral infection)

No baby as of now. Just checked her and she is grazing in the outside area. I put her by herself but the other horses can see her next to the fence. I just did not want my other mare to steal the baby or my yearling to step on the baby.

Thanks for the foaling vibes. I am going to test her again at 6:30 or seven and I will put my results on here after that. I will let yall know
Good luck Natalie!

Ad TB
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to both of you, hoping for an easy folling, and healthy babies

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Husband is there right now, and spirit is showing signs of labor. Her vulva is RED, she is laying down and getting up walking around, and walking to her stall and standing there. She is pawing at the ground a little and swishing her tail back and forth with ears pinned back. Her bags are dripping and she keeps curling her upper lip. It should not be long hopefully! pray for a safe and healthy baby. The baby was moving around. lets cross our fingers! I think we are in Labor!!!

(Message edited by Texas_Paints on April 27, 2010)

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2703
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That fantastic!!! Yippee Skippee!!! I'm glad you have help. Good luck Lisa!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3277
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's hilarious that marilyn said "yippee Skippee"....as that's what I was going to say LOL
Prayers for an easy delivery and healthy foal!

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are at all 4 squares in 8 sec. I am heading to the barn now to see what is going on. She had a ton of wax on her teats an she is in that state of mind were she stares off into space a lot. Talk to y'all soon. It is a full moon!!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yay! BAby comin!

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have success!!! 11:05pm pintaloosa colt. He is so pretty. I don't know how to upload pics so I will have to e mail u the pics if you want to see him.

Thank you guys for everything! I have a big mare due in July on the 5th so I will Benin here again.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Lisa, that's fantastic news!

Paige D
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats, Lisa!

Natalie, any luck with your mare?

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we have a healthy filly at the barn. she was born this morning at 1:30am my amre got her self hung in the fence and the baby was coming out of her while she was standing int he fence by the time we got her out of the fence seh laid down pushed about 3 times and there she was.ALWAYS LOCK THEM UP!!!!! why on earth she was pawing the fence i will never know. but anyway i have to call the vet sence she she streamed milk yesterday allday i'm scared that the baby didn't get enough colostrum although she has pooped up a storm. she was running around the stall this morning. she is soo cutei will put pics on here today after my nap. i need help with the color as i am getting different veiws. thankyou all for all of your help yall ae really wonderfull!!! oh yeah and after all that work my boyfriend was like a first time dad. now i have to sty on foal watch to make sure the baby is ok. and that moma don't accidently lay on her baby. but hey he handled all that blood and after birth like a champ. pics in a few hours.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't mean to seem ehind but i have to post my message then i can read the latest post. lisa sorry to hear about your son i'm glad he is feeling better. and congrats on your baby!!! speaking of how they act befor e delivery my mare ran laps around her lot last night running bucking swinging her head she was acting all kinds of crazy. but anyway CONGRATS AGIN LISA AND THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. I'L LET YOU KNOW WHAT THE VET SAYS ADN GIVE LOTS OF PICS.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3283
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome!! Very happy for both of you!! Lisa, I wanna see pics!!! kdgilger@att.net PLEASE

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2710
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations on your new filly! Thank goodness all is well with the mare and foal after getting caught up in the fence, silly girl! I hope the mare saved some colostrum for the little one.

Hope to see pictures soon!

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad302/boondockfarm/

here is new pics of the baby tell me what ya think

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah lisa i wanna see pics also tucker.nd@gmail.com

Paige D
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she's cute, Natalie! congrats! glad everything went well, finally.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LISAS GORGEOUS FOAL!!
I uploaded the pics for you...
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo2.jpg

Congratulations!!! he's a beauty!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3288
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have to say though.....that i do find it rather uncanny (and a bit unnerving LOL) that you guys keep getting appies by accident...and i have to TRY AND TRY to get mine LOL

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful colt Lisa! Diana, maybe you should try bottled water for your mares. lol

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on a beautiful pintaloosa!

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very pretty baby lisa very flashy!!!!

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh thank you Diana for putting his pics up for me.
Thanks guys I love him! We have a problem though. His blood work came back and they said he has to have a tranfusion. his blood work in at 400, and it should be at 800.

The vet said we dont have to do it, but if he gets sick it could cause more problems in the long run and lots more money.

I really just want to take a chance and not do it, but at the same time I want him to be okay. I really don't know what to do??????????

Does anyone know if there is anything else I can do for him? They said this proceedure can cost up to $500.00.
He acts normal, but he is not getting enough antibodies. He eats all the time, and acts just like a healthy colt.

Natalie your baby is so cute! I am so happy that you got a filly. Isn't it crazy that our babies were born on the same night. It was that full moon!

(Message edited by Texas_Paints on April 29, 2010)

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the same thing happen to my colt. I had to do Plasma procedure and it did cost about that amount. He acted healthy and ate all the time, but I was told that if I didn't have this procedure done, he would not make it.

You really have to do this. They act normal and healthy and then crash and burn. I know it's expensive, but I don't know of any other alternative. The sooner you do it, the better.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thankyou lisa i am sorry to hear that your baby has to have a transfusion. i wish you the best of luck with it.the vet is coming out today to give mine her igg test to see what is going with her she to is acting fine and healthy. yeah i think the full moom is what doneit.i hope everything is ok with your baby. well time to go to the barn and clean the stall ithink her stall is cleanerthan my house.lol well see yall i'll let yall what the vet says oh yeah i have better pcs to put up of the baby in a bit.

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa, we had a filly a few years ago that had an IgG of 480. The vet thought she would be okay without a transfusion. She did get sick at about 2 months of age and the vet get her a series of three "EqStim" shots IV (not expensive)it boosts the immune system. She got over her respiratory illness without any problems and in the 9 years we owned her, she never got another illness. I know a plasma transfer is Definately the prefered option but you may discuss the EqStim shots with your vet if it is a financial situation. Good luck!!

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I was just wondering if minis test lower than regular size horses. Probably not though. Wishful thinkins

He said if we dont do it he could die any kinda infection, so at 4pm today we are going to get a plasma transfusion.

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to ask him about the EqStim shots when I get there.

Ad TB
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had to give plasma a few times it works out at about 150 euro to buy the plasma then you've got the vet call out, plasma giving set, sedation for the foal etc so it'd probably work out at 250 euro.
At 400 you're at the border line level, under 400 definitely give, between 400-800 you have to weigh up the cost of it versus the value of the foal. The other option is to start the foal on prophylactic antibiotics, check temperature twice daily, treat the navel twice a day and look for any signs of illness or dullness, make sure the foal is sucking well, his navel is dry and he's got no swell in his joints or nameness and he's not scouring. Still not guaranteed that it won't get an infection but it is an option.
The call is really yours to make, bear in mind that treating a sick foal can also work out very expensive with antibiotics, fluids, vet call out fees etc! Good luck

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just don't want to chance it now since we lost last years foal do to the weather and i dont think he was healthy.

I am going to just go ahead and give the transplant, bc this is my 3yr old and 6 yr old's baby. They loved on him and mamma all afternoon yesterday.

I will keep yall informed on what is going on with him.

We still dont have a name for him. I was thinking Spirit's little thunder Cloud and calling him Blue or Apollo? I don't know yet????
Sire: Little Chief White Cloud
Dam: Spirit

Ad TB
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did her foal last year die soon after birth? Maybe she's a mare that doesn't produce good cholosrtum. I'd agree with you to give the plasma, if the foal is a keeper you'll have years worth of fun for the $500.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you decide to do the plasma Lisa. I know it's expensive, but this way you can sleep soundly at night, knowing the foal is protected. It's kinda like insurance, you don't need it until you need it.

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year we walked into the barn at 7 am and he was dead. I dont know what time she had him that night, but i am guessing her had been for only a little bit, bc he was not stiff. I think it was the sand she had him on, bc it was super cold and we had not layed the straw down for her yet. It was all a bad deal all the way around. We rescued her pregnant last year. so we really didnt know anything about her.

Marilyn I know what you mean. I know we are going to keep him now though bc he is a special baby!!!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, let me congratulate both of you for having foals the same day! My goodness, I felt like I was at a race, reading these posts!

And they are cute little things!

Lisa, glad you are getting the transfusion. It is a tough choice, when money is an issue.

I had a colt in 2008 whose mother was streaming milk days before he was born. He had an IgG of 400. My vet said we could do a transfusion, but that since there were not horses coming and going on the place, if I watched him closely and called her if there was so much as a sneeze, he might be okay. Well, for the next four months I held my breath. I half expected to wake up one morning and find him near death. Fortunately, he remained healthy and built his own antibodies, but it could have just as easily gone the other way.

My point is, it isn't worth the risk and the worry. Now that I have been on this board for two years now, and have read heartbreaking stories of babies born healthy and then just crashing, I would never take the chance again. So I think you made the right choice. Peace of mind is worth a lot and a healthy foal is priceless!

Again, I celebrate the birth of your foals. Wonderful!

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the vet cam and said everything was fine the igg test came back around 800. she was amazed at how big the baby was and that moma didn't tear. i put better pics of her up could any of you give some insight as to the color of her my vet was kind like umm maybe a palomino?
lisa i wish you all the luck for your baby ihope that everyhting goes well. i will say a prayer for your baby. let me know how it goes.
thanks cj.

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad302/boondockfarm/

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3295
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

natalie, she looks sorrel to me

Lisa Jenkins
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tranfusion went well, baby is doing great! The vet cut us a deal and said he was only going to charge us 225.00 so I was so happy for that.
Natalie how is your filly doing?

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2731
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, are you a lucky duck!!! He must have done it at cost, because the plasma is that much, I'm told. I'm so happy for you! I'm glad the baby is doing well!

Natalie, do you think she could shed out dark like her mom? Sometimes it's really hard to tell. But no matter what the color, she is healthy now and she is very very pretty!!!

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i learned that i can only let my wild child filly out for a little at a time. i got a scare and was up a goodbit last night. she got over heated last night and i called the vet becouse her breathing was so fast. the vet said that they can't regulate their body temp. for me not to let her out except in the morning and at night for a short amount of time. but i can only let her out for about 30minutes becouse al she does is run and it has been hot and muggy all day. doe sanyone know of any good books that would help with how to care for a foal and the proper care and managment of one. i am going to go the store tomarrow ahunt for one but if you guys could tell me one to look for it would be great. i think i need soem knowlede on this. but other than that she is doing great she has the whole turn nd kick at you thing down already!!!!lol. i think i have met my match in training. i'm really gonna have to wear my big girl pants with her.
lisa how is your baby doing?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3306
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blessed Are the Foals

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bringing Up Baby by Lyons.

Here are other suggestions if you plan to continue breeding:

Equine Color Genetics by Philip Sponenberg, D.V.M, PhD.
The Complete Book of Foaling: An Illustrated Guide for the Foaling Attendant, by Karen Hayes, D.V.M., M.S.

And a book that is more complex, but so informative: The Horse, by J. Warren Evans, Anthony Borton, Harold Hintz, and L. Dale Van Vleck.

You can check out the video by Dennis Miller, D.V.M. too. He begins at birth, but it is still a very good DVD on how he teaches his babies to lead and then tie and so on. Most important, probably, is to teach a foal to release to pressure. Once you get that done, the rest follows.

This is more information than you asked for. Sorry if I sound preachy. I didn't have a very good experience with my first foal, but am doing great with my two babies now. I also hired a little help when I need it. Best money I ever spent!

Anyway, I'm excited for you both and so glad your colt is well, Lisa.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks guys i preciate it!!:-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3311
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa!! Email me more photos!!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3312
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa!! Email me more photos!!!!

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey guys sorry I had a busy weekend playing with the baby.

We have come up with a name!!

Bentley is his name, bc he is either going to cost as much as a bentley when we are done with him, or he will bring us good luck as much as a Bentley! LOL!

I wish I could of gotten him papered, but all I have is pinto papers for mom, and dads papers are M.I.A! The past owner had them and he is a nut case. We wont be getting any papers from him.

He is doing great still. We let him meet the other horses on Saturday, and he loves my old barrel horse, and my yearlying loves him.

I am having problems with my 9month pregnant mare. She tried to run him over and stomp him into the ground. I can not let her get near him at all. I think she will kill him. Does anyone know what I can do to get her to calm down?
Diana I will upload more pics tonight. I have not taken a whole lot lately, bc I am playing with him. I be better at taking pics.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa is is great tohear that your baby is doing good. it's hard not to spoil them i'm sorry i can't give ya any advice on your mare and him. but it is good to hear that he is doing good. i like the way that you came up with a name for him that is soo funny!!!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bently! "Bentley is his name, bc he is either going to cost as much as a bentley when we are done with him, or he will bring us good luck as much as a Bentley! LOL!" Too Funny!

Glad he is doing so well. As for the pregnant mare, is she a maiden? Just curious. When is she at 340 days? I don't know if that has anything to do with her behavior though. You might try letting them be separated just by a fence and let her get used to him that way? Just a suggestion.

Isn't it fun to play with these little ones? They grow up so fast!

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, She is not a maiden mare as far as I know. This is her first baby with me. I bought her 2 years ago, and she was sold as rideable, but she has not been ridden bc she likes to buck. I was told she has foaled before, and her bags tell signs of having a foal.

She is just really unpredictable when it comes to her attitude. bentley and Spirit are in an area by themselves, and Vanity is in the pasture next to them. She tries to charge the fence and bite Bentley if he gets close enough to the fence. Spirit puts her in her place very quickly, but Spirit is half the size of Vanity.
The only good think about Vanity's pregnancy is that it is a paint baby, and that is what I want.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3353
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BENTLEY!! Here are the new pics Lisa emailed me and asked me to share! Here is Bentley at a week old! He's too cute!!
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo8.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo6.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo5.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo4.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo3.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo2-1.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/photo-1.jpg

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lisa he is a doll!!! way to cute i read on the other post about him getting into the fence i hope that he is ok.

i have another question i am still looking for the books so i hope that someone on here can help. my filly is a little bit over a week old granted she came out thinking she was grown and wanting to eat hay and grain at a day old. my question is this i have read other other post onhere and they say you should wait till they are 3 weeks old to start them on grain and they should not get water till around that time. when i feed my mare teh filly wants to eat some of the grain but my mare is really mean to her she bites and kicks her so i bought a small 5qt. feeder that hangs on the stall and a biger one that hangs for the mare the only way i can get the baby to stay away from mom is to give a small handful of grain to her in her feed bucket. then stand watch to keep my mare from nailing her.she was just pushing her out of the way now she is kicking her hard enough i can hear the contact being made. i'm scared she is going to break the babies leg. of the filly goes and pouts in teh corner but one well placed kick and her leg is gone. any ideas i cna't seperate them or the mare won't eat tried that already the baby has to be in the stall but away from moma. is it going to hurt that i have already started feeding her grain? oh yeah and she drinks water alot thru out the day it is really hot where i live. thanks agian for the help.

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH Thanks Diana for putting these pics up! Natalie he is doing good. I think he ran into the barb wire fence before he could stop in time. He loves to run circles around his momma! I am so glad that it is Friday, bc I can leave work and go play with him all week-end long!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwwww. So very cute! He'll be a handsome boy.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lisa i find excuses all day to go to the barn and play with her. she is soo rotten she will come up to you if you snap your fingers and follow you al over the pasture. i like to get my horses to come to you by sound not food and so i don't have to walk across the pasture and she is already doing it so nicely. she has found that she can rear and buck and thats is about all she does. the are soo funny and full of energy. enjoy your weekend of spoiling the Bently

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Natalie, the grain won't hurt the filly. All my foals start eating grain with their moms within the first few days after birth and never had any problems. We had a mare just like yours, only nasty to the foal when she ate her grain. We place a board at an angle in the opposite corner away from the mares feed tub. We put the board up high enough that the foals back can clear the board without scraping her back, and put a foal feeder in the back. I works great, we normally help the foal under the board the 1st time to teach them how to get under the board, most of them can't figure out to duck their head under the board. Once our foals figure it out they will head straight to their own feeder and never bother with moms feed and if mom eats hers first she can't get to the foal or her feed to steal it. It also teaches the foals not to be afraid of going under things or things above their head. Hope all goes well. I can take a pic of my set-up if you would like to see it. Also, when we do this we start our foals on a "Buckeye" foal feed that is specially designed for foals from birth to 3 months old. It has a milk supplement in it and is designed to allow them to digest the feed. Hope things work out well!!

(Message edited by bbhorses on May 08, 2010)

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth,

I would like to see your set up in your stall. Bentley wants to eat with his momma, and I did not know if that was safe or not. I might try that with mine too.
Momma can be nasty to him if he gets near her food.

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa, I will take a few photos tomorrow and post them on here for you, it really works great and as the foal grows taller we just raise up one end of the board. If you raise both ends some mares will try to get under it to steal the foals food.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKYOU SO MUCH i would love to see your set up also. i am going to get my feed store to order that feed. she is eating everything in site. she is cutting in her milk teeth and she is chewing on everything especially wood. i'm so glad nothing is treated at my barn.

lisa how is bently doing? he is so cute i think i could bring him the house and hold him. how big was he when he was born?

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa and Natalie, I took photos of my stall set-up and then left my camera in the barn. I will get the photos posted tomorrow!!

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bentley is doing great. He is such a bundle of energy. He never takes time to look around. He runs around and jumps all the time. The only time you can sit down with him and play with him is when he is in the stall. He started chewing on our pants and he loves my kids butts! LOL! They think it is so funny.
I think he is going to be a POA size, bc he is all legs. I have not measured him yet, because he is so spunky. I am going to go out there today and maybe see about getting a measurement on him.
Thanks Beth that will work. I might not be on here tomorrow, bc it is my birthday and we are going to celebrate! I don't know why bc every year keeps getting harder and harder LOL! But I still would like to see your set up, bc bentely is fighting with mom to get grain now.

natalie tucker
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

happy birthday lisa. i got a measurement of stormy and she was 38inches at 2 days old. i'm n ot familar with minnies what does poa mean?

beth sounds like you have my crs moments. i can't wiat to see your set up. when i feed my filly grain she eats and then mom takes it away from her when she gets thru with hers. so i'm excited about being able to fixit so she can't do that.

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lisa and Natalie, Here is a pic of my stall set-up. Hope this helps, we have set-up all of our foaling stalls for about 10 years. All the foals love it once they learn mom can't get to their food and they learn to go straight to their own little area.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/bbhorsespaint/foalboard.jpg

Hope I put the photo on here correctley, and hope you had a Happy Birthday Lisa!

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks natalie and Beth.

natalie I did not get to measure him yesterday, because I got stuck at work later than normal. and he was really jumpy bc of the wind and the storms rolling in. I will try again tonight.
A POA is Ponies Of America. They are around 12-14 hands tall. That is why this baby is such a suprise to us, bc the sire was 13 hands tall and Spirit is 42" That is 10 hands. But like they say were there's a will there's a way!!! I think he is going to take after Chief not Sprirt.

Beth thanks for the photo I am going to do something like that in my stall so Bentely can eat safely.

What type of grain are yall using? I am using the Omolene 200 by purina. I thought about putting them on the 300????

natalie tucker
Weanling

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm using legends mare and foal right now, but beth said she uses "buckeye" foal feed. i'm gonna have to get feed tomarrow so i'm gonna try it if i can get it. it's hard for me to be picky becouse only 1 feed store has mare adn foal. due to no breeders around. si i have to always tell them what i want. but my mare is looking awesome on legends. she never even looked like she had a baby and the baby loves it. thanks for the info on the poa. i'm lettign them stay out tonight i hope that she is fine when i get back in the am. well its time for bed so good luck with all
thankyou beth for teh pics.

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay guys I told you I would be back on here.

My big mare just started getting her milk in this week-end, and instead of her bags filling up all around they are fillinf up towards the back. If you didn't know any better you would think she is a stud horse. It is only filling up on her right side. I looked at her bags under her, and you can not really see her teats because she is filling up. I just did not know if that was normal to see the bag that big on the backside. She is due July 5th, and this is her first foal with me. The vet said she looks like she has had a foal in the past. everything else looks normal on her.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3466
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heck yeah! they fill right to left, front to back, up and down and sideways....i wouldn't worry about it. Some mares just fill funny....

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try to take some pics tonight and I will show you how funny it looks. We go to the vet on Sat. and I just wanted to make sure I did not need to go in earlier if I did not have to. This mare is my problem mare, bc she tends to sometimes be aggressive. She is the mare that wanted to stomp a mud whole in Bentley. They still can't be together.

Lisa Jenkins
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is what Vanity's bag looks like. It is just large on the right side, and when she runs it sways from side to side. It does not have fever on it, but it is a little hard. I still cant figure her out. She is not tame enough for you to try messing with it. She can be a little jumpy!

Sorry this is not a really good pic. This is from lastnight.

By the way she finally excepted Bentley!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/jondeere01/Horses/vanity.jpg

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3472
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothin wrong with that Lisa...>I've seen it a million times. The udders are 2 separate tanks LOL

Lisa Jenkins
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana you were right!!!! I went and looked at her bags lastnight, and they have filled in equally. They are so big though. She still has 3 weeks, and my last mare did not fill in until 2 days before she foaled. i am hoping that she does not start leaking early. She is really full and her bags are hard.

Cyndi
Breeding Stock
Username: Jusblve

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was so lucky Lisa, Sugar's bags got fairly big right at the end and she foaled about 4 hours later. You can see her pictures under her thread Sugar - 21 yr old rescue mare Good luck that she doesn't make you wait a long time.

natalie tucker
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa i wish you luck with your mare. princess had huge udders the last month month and half she was pregnant. and hers was rock hard she always wanted me to rub them. princess didn't start leaking till the day she foaled and her udders if it was possible doubled in size she looked she had a cows udders. wish you another very healthy and beautiful foal.

Lisa Jenkins
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Natalie. I took some pictures of Bentley and Vanity last night, so when I get home I will put them on here. She let me do a milk test last night, and three squares turned right away, and the 4th square turned 15 seconds later. I dont know if my strips work the same way with every horse. They were right on with my miniature. I knew in 14 hours I was going to have a foal, and sure enough that is when Bentley came.

She has dropped a little in the stomache.

My concern now is she started leaking a little in the vulva. She has a small drip. About two drips a min. i dont know if that is normal in a large mare, bc my mini did not do that.

Her vulva has changed. It is lengthening, and her attitude is more relaxed. She is a little skittish of thngs, and she is letting me even milk her. No change this morning though. We will see when we get home.

Lisa Jenkins
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are the pics of Vanity today. I guess I did not do the milk testing right lastnight, bc today only 2 1/2 changed instantly, and the last one 25 sec. later. Lots of milk when milked.
Her belly has dropped and she is not really wide anymore. I guess baby is getting into position.

Let me know what yall think!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/jondeere01/Horses/IPhonepics348.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/jondeere01/Horses/IPhonepics349.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/jondeere01/Horses/IPhonepics352.jpg

Bentley at 2 months old

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/jondeere01/Horses/IPhonepics342.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/jondeere01/Horses/IPhonepics345.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US