SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is it time to call the vet or am I overreacting??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Is it time to call the vet or am I overreacting?? « Previous Next »

Megan C
Neonate
Username: Drumdoch23

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, we are at day 344. I have no idea if this is a sign of impending foaling, or if I should call the vet (this is the mare AND my first baby... haha)

for a few days there has been a dark brownish fluid leaking from her vulva. not a lot, just a drop or two hanging on to the end there... but something for sure. Today, when I checked, there was slightly more of this fluid, some of it had dried around the area. Also, when I took a peek at what the membranes looked like on the inside, the were bright purple? like, I mean violet in color. further inside (not that I went far in there, maybe 1/2 inch further) is dark pink.

any advice??? am I going to have a baby soon or is there something wrong??

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2788
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of those are specific indications of impending foaling, nor of problems. Or they could be. Bottom line is that one can't really tell by a description such as that over the Internet (with the exception of the bright purple colour, which really doesn't indicate anything).

Remember that simply because the mare is at 344 days doesn't mean she is about to foal any time soon (read the article about gestational duration for more details and be sure to look at the statistics at the foot of the page! She may foal soon, or she may not!

As ever though, if you have any concerns, have your vet evaluate the mare. Better safe than sorry!

And welcome to the world of awaiting a foal! :-)

Megan C
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alrighty, so I did some extra research... I think we're probably OK. I swear she just likes to get me going haha..

I do have one more question though, She has been starting to bag up since the 1st of march (nothing major, just slowly building since then.) the past week though, her udder has gone down in size? still fairly large, maybe small grapefruit size? teats are pointed inwards, can't seem to express any milk or fluid out of there though (not that she is a huge fan of me poking around, so maybe I can't get it right... not for lack of trying though!) It does feel more firm that it did before though (before it was more jello-y... now its fairly solid... just smaller.) She also has a bit of edema infront of her udder and along the midline of her belly (she is HUGE, so this doesn't really surprise me.)

is this common in pregnant mares for the udder to shrink? this close to the big day? (assuming of course, we are anywhere near a foaling date... day 345!)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3119
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, it's common...it will come and go until it's time!

Megan C
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha, figures.

I can't WAIT to see this little foal! mom is a CanadianXPaint (black and white tobiano) and dad is a dutch warmblood (bay and white tobiano)

we've all been joking that the extra time is taken to put the color on at the end :P

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is funny Megan! Maybe you're right! I can't wait to see pictures of your little four legged bundle.

Megan C
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arg... day 351 today I think!? no baby, no change... she is being awfully sneaky about all of this.

Megan C
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I have to ask yet another question.

This morning she has thick, mucous type substance under her tail? there is a tiny bit of blood tinging the outside of his, but wondering again if this is normal. Called the vet yesterday to check in and she told me unless there is something completely foul going on under her tail, I'll just have to wait and see until baby makes its big appearance.

any thoughts? not buckets and buckets of anything leaking back there, cleaned her up with a damp cloth... also she is CRANKY this morning. her udder is very hard and appears to be uncomfortable to touch. one teat also appeared wet. I hope we are simply getting close to the big moment... instead of careening off course...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3195
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds to me like shes losing her mucous plug. My vet swears she has never seen a mare go longer than 4 days after this happens, but i had one mare go a week. Some people say it can happen off and on for 2 wks before delivery, but i have never known that to be the case. I think it depends on where you're reading. LOL Sounds to me that she's getting close!! CRANKY is good!! Just wear a helmet when you go to check her LOL

Megan C
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahah! yes, helmet... check. I get someone to distract the other end of her with candies and treats too :P

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like she is getting closer! Yeah!

Megan C
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this morning, still no baby. udder was pretty big, but it usually is in the morning. The shape of her belly has changed quite a bit again,she had filled in through the flanks and looked like a chubby little sausage for a while, but now gravity seems to have taken its toll... she's pretty droopy. I can actually see her hips again...
I am hoping this means she is getting closer... poor thing must be uncomfortable.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megan, I feel for you. I had my first baby colt 2 years ago and know your anxiety. Hang in there , its all worth it. Will be anxious to hear when it happens. Let us know on this posting, please. Then you'll have lots more questions, I'm sure. Don't be afraid to ask ANYTHING!!!!

Megan C
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

foaled a big colt this morning, black and white and beautiful. Having a bit of a rocky start, took a few hours to get up and around but seeming to get the hang of it now. Having the same problem as another poster, some milk coming out his nose after he nurses (not during, but after he is finished)

hopefully more good news later.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I bet you are excited!!!! Let me be the first to congratulate you. Good news!!! Can't wait for pictures.

sally
Breeding Stock
Username: Sally_c

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on a big healthy colt. Post some pics when you can

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2649
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations on your brand new colt!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2691
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on the colt and color too! Can't wait to see pics!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats

Megan C
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone. Working on getting some pictures up on photobucket. He is stronger every time I check on him! he even had a little run around the stall tonight!!! a little rascal for sure.

Now... I have another question.

When is ideal to deworm mom after foaling?

Megan C
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe this will work? picture doesn't do much justice... but its an idea of mom and baby! just a couple of hours on the ground... was scary he took so long to get up... but all looks well tonight!

http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/drumdoch23/

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Megan,
I deworm right after they deliver. He is a dandy colt! Nice loud coloring congratulations...sometimes they just take a little more time than others. I did not see but I am guessing you had the to check all his levels? Very cute!

Megan C
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PEE-YEEEEEW! dewormed mom and did that ever make for some stinky foal poop. Must have upset his little tummy.... yuck. Apparently everything is normal though... I suppose it makes sense, anything you give the mare will probably affect little baby's tummy.

there are new pics up on the photobucket page. :-) enjoy. :-)

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megan, can't believe I'm just seeing this now.

Big Congratulations on your colt. A big boy, huh?

Hope the problem with is the milk spewing out of his nose is over?

Love his color. Nice!

Megan C
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, he is definitely a BIG boy! His mom is 15.3 but built SOLID... like a mack truck... haha. Her first foal too!

Yes, the problem with the milk coming out his nose has been solved. No cleft palate (thank goodness) Apparently after a stressful birth (which I have no idea if it was or not since I MISSED it... :-( haha) They can have a swollen palate? also, since he did not get up for so long, the vet thinks he was probably "chugging" his food and not bothering to swallow the last little bit weather due to swelling or laziness or not knowing any better... basically. Either way, by that night the milk all went where it was supposed to (and boy was he happy he'd figure out how to turn on the faucet! haha)
its going to be an adventure for sure

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad Megan. Whew! Yes, you definitely have an adventure ahead of you. He will teach you something new everyday. But with that size, I bet you are looking at halter breaking him like, yesterday! LOl.

Glad mine are smaller. I can still hang onto my 2 week old as we put the halter on. She is getting better, but didn't work with her enough those first few days. And she is stubborn! The colt was easier.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US