SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

High Strung mare at 362 days, Can stress cause her to hold???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » High Strung mare at 362 days, Can stress cause her to hold??? « Previous Next »

Jamie Mix
Nursing Foal
Username: Jmstar74

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

362 today. She sweated up last night, and then nothing.... I board at a barn that does a lot of roping, and they come in at all hours form the events, I am wondering if they are stressing her out and causing her to hold???? Has anyone else had a stress problem with there mares and foaling??? She is a high strung, one person only kind of mare (Cutting bred mare) I should also say she usually foals between 345-350 days in the past.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie

She may be holding off for a quiet moment, but she will go.

Just out of past experience watch her tonight at about the same time she sweated up. Most mares we foal that show a strong signs and don't foal usually foal at about the same time in the next 2 nights. Not always, but most of the time.

(Message edited by kynwatch on March 25, 2010)

Jamie Mix
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still no baby. Ugh! Keeping an eye on her and hopeful for tonight.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie, sorry about your situation. It is harder when you can't control the environment. I don't suppose there is a way for you to persuade the stable owner to put up a "Shhhh! Foaling soon," or some such sign, could you? Just a thought. I understand those sleepless nights. Can't imagine it going on as long as your's though.

Another thought. Do you use foaling predictor kits or in some other way, test the calcium in the milk? I ask, because I'm using it this year and it is great! Although I haven't learned to trust it fully, my vet swears by them.

Jamie Mix
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not used the predictor kits before, but this year I have not been able to express milk for some reason, heck i may be so tired I have forgotten how, lol. Her bag is down some again today, but it was nice out and she was moving around more. Still have fetal movement so I am not too worried about it. I wish i could put up a shhh sign but they won't go for that. I just keep reminding myself this is the last time I have to foal out at someone's place. We close on 10 acres Monday afternoon. We should have the fence done by next weekend if the weather holds out. Then we will just have to put up a lean too/pole barn for now to get them moved... I would really like it if she foaled before the move even if it is only 2 miles down the road....

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yippeee on that 10 acre place, Jamie. Hopefully she will foal before you move.

If you cannot get any milk out of her I would question one of two things, are you sure of the breeding date and is there a chance she could have gotten into infected fescue grass?

My mare is 344 days today. Last time she went to 347 days, so I expect the same this year. I can extract milk, but it takes quite a while to get some started. In addition, her calcium is still in the 50-65 range. So I get to sleep tonight for the first time in about two weeks!

Anyway, I wonder if your mare is ready yet? I don't know if one can forget how to milk! LOL! But then I'm pretty low functioning lately due to sleep depravation myself.

I know your original question was about can stress prolong pregnancy. I hope someone has better answers for you!

Jamie Mix
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure of the the breeding date, as we AI all of our mares. She was bred 3/28/2009. I have had all the mares on Bermuda round bales all winter and i brought her up to the barn middle of last month and she has been on bermuda big squares there, so fescue tox is not a worry.

I have been over the fescue worry myself, but the vet assured me there would be no bag if that was an issue and he has told me several times (as I have asked him several times, lol!!!) I have followed the book on keeping that fear down.

I have to go check her this morning, as I slept through my alarms last night, but she sure wasn't looking ready last night so my chances of getting there and having a baby are slim, not that I would mind... But if something went wrong Not sure I could forgive myself....

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You poor thing-to have slept through your alarms, you must have been absolutely exhausted!

Yeah, I was thinking that you were experienced at all this. Glad you could rule out my questions. Boy, she just wants to hang onto this one; maybe to see how long you can run on no sleep.

I have to go out today, but I am eager to find out if all is well.

Jamie Mix
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her bag is down again today. Looks like it does when the bag starts filling several weeks before foaling.... AQHA shows her first foal being foaled at almost 380 days and it was a colt, her last 2 have been fillies. Wondering if the dates were correct from AQHA and she is just not ready.?.?. She is not in distress, still have foal movement. Vet is coming tomorrow to check her, I have my fingers crossed....

Laura Elliott
Neonate
Username: Laura_elliott

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie. Hi. I know it is frustrating. We are expecting a total of five folas this year. The first was born in January right on schedule. The next three are bred to a stallion that has a sort of history of foals with prolonged gestation. The first of these three was a 14 yo maiden mare. She finally foaled Wednesday at 375 days. The birth was uneventful and the filly was completely normal. We are now waiting on the next one who is at 379 days today. She is waxed. We had both mares checked by the vet at 370 and 374 days just to be sure the foals were not distressed and properly positioned. The next one is at about 355 days and we are not expecting her to foal anytime soon.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 02:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to quit complaining that my mare is 343 days right now!

I thought she was further along, but checked the date again today and was a few days off.

I feel for you both.

Laura, so glad your girl finally went. I remember you having some concern about her.

Keep us posted and nap when you can! Those foal predictor kits are awesome. I'm starting to trust them.

Jamie Mix
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is still holding out, 370 days today. Bag is still small but firm. Vag is not as relaxed as 2 weeks ago, she is soft at the tail head. She is relaxed and happy. Vet told me to get some sleep Monday when he checked her, so I guess we still have a bit.....

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Jamie! You poor girl.

When my daughter had her maiden mare checked, after we were waiting forever and no sleep, the vet said she would not foal for at least a few more days.

So we slept, and woke up to a beautiful little colt in the morning. I don't remember if you said anywhere if she is a maiden or not?

Jamie Mix
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

373 today, and off her feed. Did not finish her hay or grain Sat night or Sun morning. Finished her hay last night but did not touch her grain. Kind of listless yesterday and today. Called the vet and left a message this morning. Starting to get a little worried....

Jamie Mix
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foaled and beautiful Blue roan filly Sat at noon!

Linda Botterill
Weanling
Username: Linda_botterill

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About time too !! Congratulations, we need pics.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEA!!! Lucky you at noon!!!! I hope you can show us some pictures, I'd love to see em!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congratulations!!! Cant wait for pics!

Jamie Mix
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not know how to post pics on here...???...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey jamie. Open a free photobucket account and upload your photos there....then post the links here! www.photobucket.com

Jamie Mix
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do tonight and get some better pics of Eve! The only ones I have of her are when she is still wet! lol

Jamie Mix
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok lets see if this works!!! LOL
http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/jmstar74/?action=view&current=100_2701. jpg

http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/jmstar74/?action=view&current=100_2696. jpg

http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/jmstar74/?action=view&current=100_2698. jpg

http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/jmstar74/?action=view&current=100_2691. jpg

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on such a beautiful filly, love the white snip on her nose!!

sally
Breeding Stock
Username: Sally_c

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats Jamie she's a cutie!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your filly is so pretty! I love the snip on her nose and such a beautiful face! You take nice pictures. How about coming over to my place and taking pictures? I am the worst photographer. lol

Jamie Mix
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Thank you but I am really not that good! lots of pics and the magic of the delete button on most of them! Kurt usually does most of our pics but he is never off work here lately...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She has the BEST tippy curvy ears EVER. I love her! She's gorgeous, Congrats!!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie, I just saw your post! Congratulations!!!! You must be so happy she finally gave in and gave it up.

So much for the old belief that a colt is held longer in utero than for a filly!!!

Jamie Mix
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ, I know!!! Kurt was at work when she foaled and was shocked when I said it was a filly! lol This is our 3rd filly from this cross. The first looked just like this little girl and was a blue roan. We are really excited with her and are not planning on selling her any time soon!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US