SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Am I doing too much?!/foaling out/lost confidence

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Am I doing too much?!/foaling out/lost confidence « Previous Next »

Gwen Boles
Neonate
Username: Gwen

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'm very new here but appreciate the responses i got to my questions on my sad thread about the perfect baby that i lost at 3 days old.. i've never lost one before in the 10 years we've had horses, 5 years foaling out..
My question/issue is that i just got done talking to a breeder friend of mine in Mississippi..
She spent several months last year GONE because of a friend in need and had 3 foals born, outside , in the pasture, no navel dips, no enema, no shelter and they were all healthy and made it just great!!!
Here, foaling in the pastue is not an option since we have fescue, unless I kicked the mare out upon foaling at the last minute and i don't think that would be good since she wouldn't be familiar with the surroundings and would not have antibodies against anything in the adacent acre lot that we have...
Any way, my question is How can i foal one out in straw bedding, be present at birth dip the navel several times, give the foal an enema, tie up the mares placenta, get a foal check the next day and I lose my baby and the people that do nothing dont!???
It's so unfair.. Am i doing TOO much? I keep the stalls unscrupulously clean and i scrub the walls and spay with bleach water before the mare gets put up?? For those who didn't see my earier thread.. I was shocked to suddenly lose a 3 day old to septicemia when she got the 'all clear' from 2 vets on her IgG and foal check?? How do I know what caused the septicemia? What can i do better..
I'm now washing the mares udder several times and bought chlorahexadine ( novalson) instead of Iodine since i heard it was better ?......
I've lost my confidence becuase i don't know why my filly was fine one day, then somewhere quit pooping and didn't show any real signs of distess till it was too late :-((
HELP!! I've got anothe mare ready to foal between now and wed!!!
thanks

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gwen, girl, just get back on that horse!

I just responded to your other post and then saw this one.

First, I'm so sorry about your loss.

Are you doing too much cleaning? Honestly, I can't answer that, but would be interested in what people have to say. Is there a right answer?

It is obvious you do your best and it is obvious you are trying to learn all you can. Just from your responses to the posts is evidence of that.

Those people who have gotten off scott free, with no care beyond the minimal, or even less, will eventually have a tragedy.

I don't know if you could have prevented this tragedy. It is so hard when the vet tells us all is well. We trust that, even of our gut sometimes tells us no, all is not well.

But you've delivered how many healthy foals?

Like I said, you just get back on that horse and keep going. I think more people who breed horses ought to be more like you.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2971
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gwen, unfortunately, no matter how hard we try, things like this can and will happen. It's tough to break your perfect record of never having lost a foal. Sometimes these things just happen and there's no logical explanation as to why. I have been breeding many years, and unfortunately for the first 3 years, I lost my first foal of the year every year. And always to something different. I have not changed my procedures, my cleaning, my iodine, nothing....and have not lost a foal since that 3rd year. (knocking on wood) But that's not to say it can't or won't happen again. I am hoping of course, that that was it for bad luck around my place....but you just never know. Some foals are weaker than others, and no matter what you do and how much money you pour into vets, it doesnt' work out. Others can run thru wire, get SHOT, survive aspiration pneumonitis at 11 days old without so much as a 2nd thought about it. Unfortunately, in breeding, loss is just part of it. You cannot continue to blame yourself, or wonder what you could have done to make it turn out differently. Because quite honestly, there is nothing. It's hard to take, and even harder to feel as if you could have saved it. But you can't drown in that pool of sorrow. CJ's right, for your own sanity, and the sake of your mare and foal who are next in line, you've just got to swallow the bitter pill, put it behind you, and like me, hope it is the end of bad luck for your farm. Things like this happen in breeding......it's tragically sad for those of us who take care of them....but it is an inevitable part of the breeding game if you play it long enough. I hope your heart heals soon....I know your pain, and it's tough. But it was not your fault. Now go confidently, as you have always done, and deliver your new foal into this world.....don't forget the pics! We're on your side.

Gwen Boles
Neonate
Username: Gwen

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cj, Thanks for your vote on confidence.. This was only my 10th baby foaled out here and it seems i failed her :-( My faith in myself and my vet has been shaken. Something didn't seem right but i was too ignorant/nieve to act on my gut and i listened to people that had more experience than me. Diana, Thank you for sharing you experiences.. i guess i've been fortunate to not have a tragic loss till my 5th year raising foals. Thanks as well for the pep -talk. it will take awhile to not feel like a failure but I've got 4 more to foal out this year.... one very soon. I'd love to share pictures here if I can figure how to. Thanks for being there :-)

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gwen...I can only second everything Diana has said. I have bred horses for many years usually one one a year until the last few years...I have lost babies over time for several reasons...sometimes I knew why sometimes not. But beyond careful preparation and diligence there is nothing else to do...Mother nature is in charge...I know the next baby will thrill you and you will continue to be a great caregiver for new babies...thank goodness there are such caring people out there for our horses.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US