SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Potential aborting mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Potential aborting mare? « Previous Next »

Amanda Mitchell
Weanling
Username: Mckulley1

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've hesitated to post but today has prompted me to.

I have a 15yo experienced broodmare. This is her fourth pregnancy. No issues with previous ones.

She is 291 - ish days. Estimated due range of April 22nd. But she usually foals in the 325-330 range.

Starting three days ago I noticed her off in the pasture herself. She came up, ate, drank, etc but just wasn't herself. Two days ago I noticed the same behavior but she started lifting her lip once or twice.

Yesterday she was lifting her lip more and ate, but not as well as she usually does. I gave her IV Banimine and she went back to eating. While I was giving it I saw a big kick from the foal. I thought perhaps she was just being harassed by the foal in-utero...I know how that is!

Today I moved both her and her pasturemate to the center paddock. She didn't eat well at all, but went straight to her hay.

I looked out about 45min ago and there she is on the ground, so I watched. She's lifting her lip. She laid out flat and I decided to go outside. As I'm walking out I see her get up, tail flagging, pawing, raised lip, and go down again. I get there and she's making small pushing grunts. She's NOT sweating though. She has no bag (and she hasn't this whole time), I reach under and feel and she starts talking like she's talking to a new foal. I lift her tail, no discharge/fluid, nothing protruding, no bulging. Again, she's talking to "a foal" as I'm doing this. I force her up, strip her blanket off, she trots to the back of the paddock and lays down again.

Every sign that she's getting ready to foal.

So I ran to the house, halter, lead, gloves, lube, banamine.

Come back, get her up. Give her IV Banamine. I gloved and lubed up and went in vaginally to see if I could feel the presence of a foal in the vaginal cavity. I couldn't feel anything.

Her gums were dry and tacky. Again, no sweat.

She looks more calm so I let her go and observe. She goes over, starts eating hay. As of right now, she's cleaning up her breakfast and eating hay. Acting like nothing happened.

The only thing I want to add is that it has been around the same time of day, both days.

ANYONE HAVE ANY INSIGHT? SUGGESTIONS? HELP?

Rusti
Breeding Stock
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't sound strange to me, I've only had one foal and my mare was a maiden, and 5 weeks before she foaled she was doing the laying out flat and soft nickering sounds, and lots of grunting now and then like she was pushing. Heck I even called the vet, told them exactly what she was doing, and they said she was definitely in labor. Well she wasn't lol. And 8 weeks before she foaled she started with all the tail flagging and pawing/belly kicking. But if this is all odd behavior for her I'd get a vet out, ASAP.

Amanda Mitchell
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is odd behavior for her. Typically you know she's going to foal because she'll build a bag on day 1 and on day 2 or 3 if she's dripping/streaming milk you don't leave her because she'll foal any moment.

I guess I'm perplexed as to why all the issues and then a shot of Banimine and she's all set. As of right now she is resting and eating hay. No further weird behavior. I went back out a few minutes ago and I was able to feel the foal moving.

Amanda Mitchell
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should add that I've foal out numerous foals and taken Joss's 3 day class....I've just never seen THIS before unless associated with colic or abortion. And certainly not that it requires only one shot of banamine to make things better.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never had one act like that... maybe the foal is just big and really squishing her in there. Maybe the laying down is trying to reposition the little brat
She is drinking well??? Myabe slight colic symptoms
good luck I hope she goes to term for you

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US