SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Huge Belly on Pregnant Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Huge Belly on Pregnant Mare « Previous Next »

JoAnn Jones
Neonate
Username: Ldyfthsky

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to this board but have been looking up info on mares that are as big as mine is.
Orchid is about 17 years old and is a rescue. I have owned her since late May of 2009 so about 9 months. This mare came to me just skin and bones. I had her vetted and checked for pregnancy right away as I have no history on her. The first check showed she was open but I just had a feeling this mare was pregnant so had her checked again a month later and yep she is pregnant and between 4 and 7 months along. Baby had dropped below the pelvic bone and could not be felt and us was even difficult to see what was in there. Vet only saw fetal membranes but did not see a baby.
Now I had the vet out the middle of Jan 2010 to check her as she was baggin up and he said from the looks of her she would foal in 3-4 weeks. That was 6 weeks ago.
Her udder is full and hard and her stomache is huge. I have never seen a mare with such a huge pregnant belly before.
The mare has trouble getting up from laying down and has trouble walking on her back legs once she is up.
Called the vet yesterday and he said we just have to wait and there is nothing we can do right now.

I am worried that she is so big and may have a big baby or twins.
Here is a pic of her from 2 days ago.
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Orchid/kitchenremodel075.jpg[/IMG]

This is what she looked like when I got her. This is actually after putting some weight on.
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Orchid/Orchid041-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Orchid/Orchid048.jpg[/IMG]

Is there anything I should be concerned about because of her condition at the beginning of her pregnancy?

Rusti
Breeding Stock
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 540
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow she's huge! She even looked pregnant in the skinny pics, you could see her little baby pooch starting...she's a beautiful gal and good for you for rescuing her. Can you see the foal moving? If there's movement I'd say her poor condition wasn't an issue! I have a Spanish Mustang mare that was very skinny when I bought her (could count 4 ribs), and was also 3-4 months pregnant, and she did just fine. What are you feeding your mare (some of that could be fat)? Is there any wax on her teats? I bet some folks on here could give you a good ballpark of how close she is if you can get a pic of her udder and good pics of each side of her. When the foal's in position to be born her flanks will fill out. Wishing you the best of luck on a safe, healthy foaling.

JoAnn Jones
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is a very easy keeper and right now is on Timothy hay and oats. The vet when he was out 6 weeks ago said he would like to see a little more covering on her ribs believe it or not so that is why she is now getting oats. I could see and feel very vigorous foal movement but have not been able to feel anything for the last few days. I will take some pics of her udder later and post them. She has not waxed yet and the few times she let me check there was clear fluid but not milk yet but that was at least a week ago. She does not want me to touch her udder at all so not sure if she has milk yet.

JoAnn
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pics I took tonight.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Orchid/Orchid008.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Orchid/Orchid002.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Orchid/Orchid005.jpg

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't blame you for being concerned... I would be worried about hydrops, there was someone on this board who had a mare with hydrops last year. Has she gradually gotten big, or was it all of a sudden?

Of course there is the possibility of twins. So you got her in May, which means the latest she would be due is April. Are you able to express anything from her udder?

JoAnn
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been gradual but she just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I tried tonight to express something from her udder but she won't let me do it and will almost lay down on her side to keep me from touching her which actually also concerns me for when the foal is born. I hope she will let it nurse ok. I have no history on this mare so don't know what she is bred to or if she has ever had a baby before.

Rusti
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For being expected to foal in the next 4 weeks or so I think she looks just fine. Udder doesn't quite look ready yet. Things seem to be right on track. Her udder might be sore as it's getting bigger, but once that foal is born she'll know what to do and how to be momma, and she'll also realize that when the foal nurses it'll ease the tightness of her udder.

(Message edited by rusti on February 24, 2010)

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looks like a big mare is she? I had a mare that I got pregnant (it was November) took her in and had her ultrasound was told she would deliver in Jan-Feb..... she did not foal until June and the baby was over 150 pounds!!!
She was big as an elephant by the time she foaled but all went fine
good luck--the mares lucky to have foundyou

JoAnn
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is an arab mare about 14.2h so not very big at all.
The other reason I am worried about a big baby with her is that she was injured in August when she was kicked by another mare. The other mare kicked her and tore up the external vaginal area and the hoof actually went into the vagina and it was torn inside. She was all stitched up and put back together but it left scar tissue which does not stretch. The vet said the scar tissue is a potential issue and with a bigger baby that worries me.
I am just a worrier anyhow over mare's foaling out. I had not planned on raising babies and having foals born here lol but have for the last 3 years and have an 18 month old a 10 month old and now a new one on the way.

The first mare had problems and the foal was upside down and had hypothyroidism so contracted tendons making the birth very difficult. The mare coliced after the birth and even after surgery still died so I guess that makes me worry a little more about everything.

luckily last years foal was born without any problems at all from a big QH mare who was also skin and bones when I got her and we did not know she was pregnant either.

Rusti
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 545
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor girl, that's horrible! Bet that was quite painful. How much scar tissue are we talking about? I would imagine if it was a tear that was just stitched back together that it's just a thin line of scar tissue. Or am I way off?

JoAnn
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet actually had to bring pieces together and try to sew them up correctly. Kinda like plastic surgery. He couldn't sew the inside as it was too deep and long of a cut and he couldn't get up in there enough.

I take pictures alot lol. I like to document things and have info for the future so I have a pic of the vet sewing her up. These pics are kinda gross though so if blood bothers you don't look at them.
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Ladybug1/zz2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Ladybug1/zzz.jpg[/IMG]

Rusti
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 546
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah didn't bother me a bit, it's great you take lots of pictures, usually comes in handy. I'm the same way. Only advice I can give is try to find a reproductive vet and give them a call and tell them about her scar tissue and see what they think.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. That is a huge belly! Looks like a very big baby? Perhaps her slight build (at least I think of Arabs as being more slight of build than say a QH) might be making her look bigger? I don't know-just typing out loud here.

Her bag does not look ready. Is she getting to fescue grass at all?

The trouble walking would worry me. I guess the fact the vet is okay with things, brings some consolation, but yeah, if it was me, I'd be worried.

However, I only have one foal under my belt (two more expected within a month). Good luck. Love the pictures! Keep us posted, okay?

JoAnn
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Orchid has not foaled yet and since it has been almost two months since she started bagging up and was vaccinated the vet is back out tomorrow to vaccinate again so the foal will get the immunity from the mare.
She is still having trouble walking after laying down and fell down again yesterday while trying to get up. At least I know this mare will not be bred again!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh JoAnn, sounds awful! Was she having as much trouble getting up and down when you got her? Could she be arthritic? What does the vet say about it?

I do know of a mare that would have trouble getting up during her last months of pregnancy. She was an older mare too. The rest of the time she was fine, but after a year or two of seeing her that way, the owners decided not to breed her anymore.

I don't know of any horses bagging up two months before they foal. Has anyone else?

Have you tried desensitizing her so you can touch her utter?

JoAnn
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been working on touching her udder and she is a tiny bit better sometimes but still really hates me doing that.

When I first got her she had some trouble with tripping and did fall down a few times but the vet said it was because of weakness and loss of muscle tone from starvation. He did a lameness exam and didn't find anything wrong with her and she improved with food and exercise.

JoAnn
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Orchid has now had her second round of vaccinations so now I hope we have a baby before we have to do it again.

Since we have no history on this mare just the date we got her our vet said if she was bred just before then her due date would be around April 10th.
He did say she is not doing things the way most mares do so he can't tell me more of a date to expect the foal.
He said she is big but he thinks it is just the way she is built and his only concern right now is the scar tissue where he had to sew her up so we need to watch her and help if she is having trouble.
He is a repro vet and has lots of experience so I'm sure he knows what he is talking about and I need to quit being such a worry wart.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 02:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear your vet is a repro vet.

One thing I do to get them to accept touching their utter is if I can get in between their teats, and scratch them/clean them out a bit-they love it! I suppose this is not true of all horses, but my girls love it.

Hope you have a really healthy baby and your mare gets her strength (and feet) under her a little better.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he ultra sound her? You would think he could give you some idea if he had ultrasound her
Glad all is ok

JoAnn
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She had an ultrasound in September and all that could be seen in that one was fetal membranes and the foal had dropped below the pelvic brim at that point.

He did not do an ultrasound yesterday but checked her out and said we just have to be patient and wait and be available to help if needed.

I have a wireless cctv camera in her stall hooked to a tv in my room so I can check on her all hours of the night without disturbing her so she is being watched closely.

JoAnn
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I would share a few pics of out two babies we have now.
The first is now 19 months old and was the first foal I have ever had. Her dam died when she was 6 days old from colic and complications from colic surgery. We had a nurse mare that we adopted from a rescue who turned out to be pregnant also and so we also have a 10 month old colt.

The first pic is of Lola our first foal.
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Daisy1/Lola022.jpg[/IMG]

The second is of our colt.
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Ladybug1/parts019.jpg[/IMG]

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAnn, OMG OMG OMG, I love that Lola!!!! She's exactly what I wish for from my breedings this year!!! BEAUTIFUL! Sorry to hear about your mare though. How about some recent pics of Lola? How'd she turn out? Did she stay that black?

JoAnn
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Lola too :-) She has not stayed black and I think she is turning out to be a blue roan like her dam. Her are a few more pics.

Last Winter [IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Daisy1/Picture427.jpg[/IMG]

Last Summer
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Ladybug1/GEDC2459.jpg[/IMG]

This Winter
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/ldyfthsky/Daisy1/Picture195.jpg[/IMG]

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 974
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lucky you..what a beauty....

Allison
Weanling
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The maiden year of my WB mare, she looked that huge (it was a colt). She looked huge this past year too, but not quite out to the sides so much like the first year (it was a filly). She had two healthy foals and I swear she looked like she had way more than one in there the first year. She actually had an average to small foal. She is 16.3 and the stallion was 16.1...her gelding now turning 3 is just approaching 16 hands. The filly is actually looking like she will be big like mama. So your mare does look pretty big, but no worries yet...they really can get that big and there be no problems! Good luck!!

JoAnn
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Allison that is what the vet is saying too. We also don't know if this mare has ever foaled before so it is all a mystery.
It is difficult not having any history on a horse like this.
As I don't breed horses this mare won't be having any more foals so we just need to make it through this one without incident :-)

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAnn, how are things going? Was just wondering about you and your mare with the huge belly.

JoAnn
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures in foal watch under Orchid :-)
Mare is fine, no problem with the birth and aside from some crooked legs on the foal both are healthy. We will be watching the legs and both mare and foal are being confined for the next 30 days and will be re-evaluated at that time.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great JoAnn! So glad it all worked out. I'm going to check that thread. Sometimes I have trouble keeping up with everyone and who is who.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US