SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Prefoaling at 305 days with no waxing

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Prefoaling at 305 days with no waxing « Previous Next »

Theresa Baker
Neonate
Username: Bakeracres

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi I have a miniature maiden mare. a week ago she started a discharge. Called vet and said just to keep on eye on her. two days later she started discharging again, had vet out to look at her, everything said to be OK. but that she well most likely foal early. as of 4 days ago she pasted her mucus plug and has been trucking right along. for 2 days she had me up with the signs of labor. (the bagging up and testing a fast 4-5 etc...) then just as fast as she started she STOPPED. she isnt getting bagged up anymore and NO milk at all. but she has been haven the false labor (lying down and side and pushing) she has done this for the last two night. the vet said that she may do this for 3 or 4 night til she has the foal. Im just worried that all this pushing isnt hurting her and the baby... I mean stressing them out. today she is kicking her belly, rolling and pushing a couple of times today. but still no milk in udders. and they arent getting any bigger either,,, should I be worried about all of this.. she has been sleeping alot today though.. I think maybe she may foal tonight at 305 days along...
ANY IDEAS....

Renee Clover
Neonate
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theresa,
Well was it time? Do you have a new addition to your family??
I had a mini maiden mare foaled for me last year, and she did a very similar thing. She had me sleeping in the barn several times for about a month before she foaled. She would have false labour episodes, then sweat just standing still even though it was cold. She would nest and paw at the ground and so many times i thought "this was it", and all the whole time, she never had any milk at all. So i kept a milk supplement on hand and had milked some coloustrum from one of my other mares. Well, when she finally did go, it was unmistakable, and so very quick! I went to the barn a 7.30am to feed and clean out stables, and she had produced a rock hard udder overnight, i kept a close eye on her, and she pased her stall heaps, then ate, then pased. By midday she was sweating, by 1pm she was contracting and by 1.15pm we had a brand new baby colt! I was lucky, as she had him in the daylight hours for me (even after all those sleepless nights in the barn).
My suggestion is to keep a bottle, several different teats (as the foal will let you know if he isnt happy with one) and colustrum on hand just in case. but with maiden mares, having no udder, and false labours is fairly typical, and she just needs to be watched.
Let me know how you go...

Theresa Baker
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the information.. No she hasn't had the foal yet and today she is at 306 days. I did get a few drops of milk out of her today and was able to test, she tested a fast 4. I know where I can get milk supplement but I don't know how to handle the coloustrum problem...but Yes I am keeping a very close eye on her. I am watching her 24/7 my son and I have been swinging the watch..well thanks for the post and Ill keep you guys informed...

Theresa Baker
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE:

no foal yet...313 days now..she is testing a 5 though and has been for two days. been up and down and no baby yet

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang in there Theresa Im sorry yall are having such a rough go of it.Hopefully soon your new baby will be here I hope all goes well for mom and baby.keep us posted.Deena

Theresa Baker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well MISTY is now OVER DUE... she is 347 days as of today... she isnt showing any signs of foaling at all really... just thought that I would drop a line to let you guys know... Oh I also have her on a web cam if you guys would like to see her live

I have her on yahoo messenger... look up contact thebakeracres and you can view her cam.... see ya later... thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10296
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at the article on this site that asks is my mare overdue? It may prove of interest to you... :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US