SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Best age to wean?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Best age to wean? « Previous Next »

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When do you prefer (under ideal conditions) to wean your foals? Our mare is very laminitic and we have made the "magic" 3 month time frame. She has good days and bad days. I prefer to wean much later.......but may not have an option (bad days starting to outway good days).

Reba (the filly) is eating creep feed well, and is acclumated into the herd. She is Definitely a Strong willed horse and can carry her own.......:-). she is halter broke and "relatively" respectful - - (for an opinionated filly :-):-)

Any input is greatly appreciated. I have had a number of threads with this unfortunate situation. Not a happy situation, but, weaning will be a "cold turkey" situation at our place..... and no more foals.....she was "the mare" we were breeding.

All happens for a reason and I believe the two foals she gave us will be our life long partners.

Thank you for all that have supported us and encouraged this gallant effort. I sincerely can not say thank you enough as this has been a VERY stressful and trying year for us......we recently had to put our beloved dog to sleep (completely unexptected) of 11 years, we already know we have to put down Reba's mother and my mare of 21 years (longer than the time I have been married) will also have to be humanely put down before winter. Yikes - Guess bad things do come in 3's........

I hope you do not think I am being dramatic.....all this is real. We do have good things in our life too.

Bob - my prized two year old is in training and doing well (althoug a bit lazy (his personality :-)) and we did a MAJOR remodeling to our home that is moving along well. All in perspective......Life is ok.

Take care!!

Deb

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have weaned anywhere from 3 1/2 months to 5 months with success. The key seems to be a balanced, confident personality and happily eating separately from mom. Then with a little extra attention from their people they do fine. Be prepared for a little crying and searching for Mom...maybe two days or less....

Randi Taylor
Yearling
Username: Miss_daisy

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I weaned my baby this year at 3 months and he did great. I had to because mom was losing a lot of weight. He was eating good and butting on weight so I know it was time.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2562
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i always wean mine at 4 months (they are minis, don't know if this matters)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 964
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you wean, do you keep them out of sight/hearing of each other?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I wean, my foals are usually sold by then. I sell them within a few days or weeks of birth, then at 4 months arrange for pickup. So they leave mom's side and are weaned all in one day. It is SOOO much easier than trying to do it with both of them on the same property! The mare cries for a day and then is over it.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually still have the mares and foals on the same property. It is interesting who is upset and who is not....sometimes it is the mare and sometimes the baby. Since my horses live in a herd it helps the foal feel like things are still the same. I separate in pairs usually if I can....I put the mares across the driveway in another pen. Often the foals will stay near the fence of their field for a few days watching their dam. When I actually remove the mare from sight, the foals usually do some calling. Most of my mares are unconcerned. The mares and foals end up living in two pastures separated by a fence with hot wire on both sides. I have never had anyone try to get through the fence. I think it really helps that each group has their own herd....the mares together and the foals together with some retired adults.

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone wean by the Farmers Almanac? For Sept,. it is suggesting 8, 12, or 17th.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never have, Deb, but have heard of those that do, and they swear by it! We had a discussion on here recently about weaning by "the Signs"....I wonder if it's at all the same?

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb: As a "farmer" I use the almanac all the time. Who knows if it works or not...but I've had pretty good luck. Wean when its in the knees.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 971
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, thanks for the info. on weaning. I will have two foals (if all goes well) next spring, and plan to wean them together. It is not likely that I will be selling them for awhile.

Diana, my hats off to you for selling your babies so fast! You must be quite a business woman and have quality horses, in order to accomplish it. I need to look at your web site.

I must apologize while I am at it. I had posted that I was interested in getting into mini's and then dropped the ball. Some major changes happened in my life at that time and I was very inactive on the board, for awhile. I am still interested, but cannot invest in them now. They are adorable and I would love to have a few, for a number of reasons. But again, I'm sorry I just dropped the subject like I did, after you (and someone els as well-but I cannot remember who) responded to my post.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Cjskip! It's easy for things to change direction. Feel free to have a look at my website! www.mysticrockminis.com I also have a new site where I will be hosting foaling cameras with chat rooms, if you'd like to have a look. Lots of great information on minis there, and adding more all the time www.themysticalmini.com Glad to see ya back on the board and active again!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US