SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare raising two foals~ may need to wean early?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mare raising two foals~ may need to wean early? « Previous Next »

Darkhorse 2572
Neonate
Username: Darkhorse2572

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of our mares (who is a saint by the way!!) has raised many orphan foals in her broodmare career, both along side her own, as well as after weaning her own foals. This year, an orphan came to her when her own filly was 24 hours old, of course she took on the other newborn (as usual) and has been raising both as she happily does. Usually we don't wean our foals until 4 1/2-5 months or so, however this year she seems to be having a hard time holding her weight with two growing babies~ She is 19 and usually a VERY easy keeper and a milk machine (in fact, we have had numerous issues in the past when she produced too much milk)
She is under the close supervision of our vet, and is on a fabulous high cal diet, however is still showing ribs and starting to show backbone... The foals are almost 14 weeks old, and look great! Our vet is strongly recommending weaning the foals now... I am just curious about anyone else's experience with 3-31/2 month weaning? Too early?

Heather
Breeding Stock
Username: Lilredbuck

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to wean my colt last year early. He was weaned right around 3 months because we almost lost the mom to colic and he did fine. he was eating good before hand and we just moved him into the pen next to her. We also have a mare that is a pretty hard keeper and when she foaled last, the baby was really pulling her down, so she was weaned early as well, around 3 1/2 to 4 months. they did fine.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to pull a colt at about 7 weeks from the dam, I substituted with fresh raw goats milk, and zantac for ulcers, we also used probios.
Weaned the foal at about 4-5 months from the goats milk.
He is doing great!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ulcers in a foal? I had no idea! How did you know he had ulcers? I mean, why was it investigated in the first place? I will look up information on this, of course, but just wondered what you personal experience was, if you don't mind.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I was advised to use the zantac to prevent ulcers, because we were pulling him from the dam so young.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 979
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see. Interesting. Always something new to learn about with these beautiful creatures.

Good luck to you Holly. I hope it all turns out well with minimal stress on all.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, My colt is 8 months old now and he is doing great!
I am so pleased with him:-)

Carol
Yearling
Username: Rodawn

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darkhorse, I would be interested to know what you ended up feeding this mare? I have an older warmblood mare who is usually an extremely easy keeper - until foal hits the ground and then all bets are off despite eating nonstop with good pasture, lovely alfalfa-timothy-brome hay, broodmare kibble plus grain, and fortified/balanced rice bran. She's a dairy cow for milk production and it shows as her weight disappears.

(Message edited by rodawn on December 12, 2009)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US