SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal Colic or Constipation?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foal Colic or Constipation? « Previous Next »

Susan
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a 1 month old foal that coliced twice now, at least thats what the vet says it is he thinks. He constantly rolls and goes nuts and when I give him and enema he poops and then is fine. Is colicing and contipation the same thing? The vet wanted me to start him on mineral oil to keep his poops nice and soft. Has anyone ever had this happen? He did this Sunday and then today.
After I give the enema and he poops its like nothing ever happened. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening or what I can do to prevent this from happening again?

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the enema works, I don't believe it is colic. The constipation is probably causing stomach discomfort and in turn the colic like symptoms. Mineral oil is never a bad treatment and will keep their system clean and the coat shinny - I don't know about long term. I with you, I would want to know what is causing the problem while treating the symptons.

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Kathee, I was shocked and paniced when I seen him rolling like crazy. I thought to myself I'll try the enema and see if that works and it does instantly!! When he did it again yesterday I went straight for the enema and again worked like magic. I just wish I knew why? I haven't changed anything. The vet told me to give him 90cc's at a time 2 to 3 times a day. I thought that was an awfull lot, plus its a lot of work when you do this by yourself. I dont think the vet remembered he's a mini baby, so I'm only giving him 35cc's 2 to 3 times a day. 9 ounces just seems like a lot!!!
Either way I'm worried about him and hope all this just goes away as he gets older.
If anyone else has some suggestions please fill me in.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like good advice as long as it corrects the problem. What I mean is that if he has hard stools that just need to pass, it is a great remedy. BTW, it is not hard to tell when the mineral oil has worked itself through! Aside from very loose stools, they are sometimes shiny...it is a little weird.

Their digestive systems are so complex the occasional issue is expected. If he keeps producing hard stools, then I would look for more answers.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Coloredpony

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan hi,is he able to poo on his own??and when he does what do they look like??I ask this because my colt (full size) got constipated when he was 8 months old,i did the enema thing for 3 days and it did help but it did not fix his problem,i had to send him to the vet hospital,but when he came home they said he was doing fine, BUT 2-3 days after he came home he started straining to poo again so i started soaking his hay in water(2nd cutting timithy) or Orchard grass , that realy helped him to pass everything and get back to normal poos,Iam not sure if your little guy is eating hay yet but maybe you can try that if he is straining.Hope this helps,Also my vet said his constipation was a form of colic.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan,
another thing to try would be some probios paste. If he doesnt have adequate bacteria in his gut he will not digest properly therefore making his manure harder, or drier.... The mineral oil is a good idea, helps "lube" things up and keeps things moving. I was told 60 cc for mine(QH at 1 day old) and repeat in 2 hours and do that daily. If this continues I guess I would have him checked out for ulcers, or if he old enough consider wormin him, if he is full of worms it can cause constipation, it fills the tiny bowels and doenst leave room for the poo.
best of luck to you , i know how scary it can be!!!

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know he likes to poo when no one is around. I seen him poo this morning from my kitchen window and he did okay but then again I started him on the mineral oil yesterday. He does eat hay and grain. Lastnight when I fed him his mare and foal food I put his mineral oil on that and he ate it. I feed pure brome hay.
I guess I've never really noticed it bieng hard or anything, just that it looks like an adult horses poo. Its big to and he probably only wieghs around 40 pounds.
I'm just keeping a really close eye on him.
Another question, how old are they suppose to be when you can worm them? I wormed mom this pass sunday. I know it will be hard to worm him, with him being sooo small and the wormer only starting at 250 and then 500 and so on.
Does anyone know a good trick to worm only a 40 pound mini?

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh one more thing. I never seen him strain to poo. He just swishes that tail like crazy and lays down and rolls and gets up real fast and then goes back down. After I give the enema he poops a lot and then its like nothing ever happened.
I know I said I didnt change anything but I did change hay over two weeks ago from clover and timothy to straight brome. Could the Brome hay be to much for him?

(Message edited by luv4mastiffs567 on June 10, 2009)

Barbara Ritz
Weanling
Username: Spring

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was interested in this discussion because I have a warmblood foal [now 18 days old ] who had diarrhea from day one. On his 4th day of life he took a turn for the worse and developed a fever and projectile diarrhea. We got him on IV fluids and antibiotics for the week. Once off the fluids he started nursing regularly and gained weight but still had some diarrhea. I had him on yougurt, gastro gard, bio-sponge and Pepto. Now a week later I am worried that he is binding up! I look each day for some manure from him. Only found one small semi solid pile last night. I am afraid to fool around with enemas and go back to another problem. He is starting to eat grass and even some hay [as well of some of his mom's manure] I thought that with all the milk he would not get constipated. He seems fine; no rolling, just a lot of tail flipping. Am I worrying too soon? He is the sweetest foal we have ever had and is very well bred. I could not take it if anything happened to him. The week on round the clock IVs was awful.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, I want to suggest a couple of things, but not sure if they would be appropriate, so please ask your vet before you try it. And obviously, try only one at a time!

One: Feed him some pellet like grain soaked in warm water.

Two: Put some molasses on his grain.

Three: See if you can get him to drink some warm water somehow. Perhaps sweeten it? About 4-6-oz. might work, twice a day, especially if it is hot where you live.

Four: Perhaps getting some of the product that is sold to prevent sand colic, which is a non-ingestible fiber, might help.

My little guy had constipation a few times and I gave enemas and it cleared it up. I also tried to give him molasses, but had trouble getting him to take it. I also gave him and his mama the sand colic treatment. Not sure if that helped or not. He might have just grown out of his constipation problem.

As far as colic goes, I think it is a term that pretty much just means that they have certain symptoms, caused by some obstruction in the intestinal tract. There isn't just one cause of colic, in other words, but it always needs to be taken seriously, of course.

I think one reason he doesn't like to poop with people around is that he needs to be relaxed in order to do it.

Anyway, I am no expert by any means and have no experience with mini's at all, so do pass my suggestions to your vet first, please. Good luck. Let us know how it all turns out!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

psyllium (the sand colic stuff CJskip referred to)has helped my horses as well, and being a mini breeder, this happens more frequently than I'd like. Unfortunately, It seems that the mini foals tend to have a harder time with digestive issues than the biggies. Foals seem to colic mostly when it's HOT long bouts of above 90F makes them MISERABLE. Eating more grasses, weeds, etc. (they eat everything)and not relying on mom for 100% of their nutrition doesn't help. It's probably either the heat or change in diet....and it's usually just a transitional thing. IF you can make sure he's getting enough water, and keep adding the oil (I use corn oil), it will probably just pass. (no pun intended)LOL
Typically, it's not a huge issues with these guys to have minor tummy aches....if he's down and rolling like mad, and can't seem to stay on his feet, I'd definitely ask the vet to look into it further. Usually just a touch of banamine can keep them from rolling around long enough for the problem to pass, but in a foal it would be such a tiny amount, I don't know that I'd even try to dose one......I hope it turns out ok, and he gets better quick! My vet always says, "If the front end is working ok, not to worry too much about the back end...." LOL All she means by that is, if he seems to be eating and drinking normally, then the issue back 'there' probably isn't as big as we tend to make it.

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update!! Man I have not been on here in a while but I'm catching up now.
Just wanted to let everyone know that JD's last episode with the constipation or belly ache was June 9th and since then he's been a healthy colt. I was using for the longest time mineral oil and corn oil. It worked I'm guessing. Long enough to get his digistive system working properly. My vet seemed to think that it could of been because my mare was in heat. I'm not sure about that. He just said some mares foals will do that while the mother is in heat and it does kinda make sence as it happened when he was 3 weeks and then 3 weeks later and then I bred her and He's never done it again.
Well JD is getting big. He did turn out to be just like daddy a silver dapple. I will post pics as soon as I can.
Cant wait for the foaling season to start again. Good luck everyone on your upcoming foals.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US