SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Attitudes - colts or fillys??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Attitudes - colts or fillys?? « Previous Next »

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok - which do you find easier? Colts or fillies? Our full sibling filly is a PAIN in the rear compared to her brother.!!!

Very independant, not friendly, wants to "buck at you" when you put a hand on her rear.......I LOVED my colt Bob!!!

My hubby and my agreement is: colt = his; filly = mine, YIKES!!!!!! This will be a case of wills.......

Ruby Halter
Nursing Foal
Username: Rhalter

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I've been wondering the same thing - we have a filly who is 4 weeks old and she has a split personality - she is either very loving or she wants to bite you! My daughter and I have come to the conclusion that because she has 2 different colored eyes - each one matches a different personality(ha ha not really - but it sure seems like it). You definitely have to be on guard with her.

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we are in for big trouble/challenges with "Reba". The past few days her new thing is to back into mom and kick at her!! Today she is 1 week old. 3 days ago she tried to take on a tree with her head (head butted it), found out the tree doesn't give - then bit it......Heaven help us :-):-)

good luck with your filly

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever notice silly and filly rhyme? On the other hand when the colts feel their oats they become the pain.

Ann
Yearling
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a "silly" filly right now! They seem to love to play and they are nose-y little things! LOL!

Heather
Yearling
Username: Lilredbuck

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they both can be little brats! loving one min and a complete pain the next

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Heather...I have both colts and fillies this year and last year...seems that brattiness is not gender specific....it just happens with some babies....even the same mare and sire can produce a sweetie one year and a brat the next...LOL

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer fillies, they tend to be very sweet, and overall much easier to train (as far as basics go, trailering, bathing clipping, etc..). I've had one colt so far this year, and though he is much more friendly and independant than his two half sisters, I don't think he will be as easy to train.

On the other hand, I bought a stud colt in '06 (knew him since he was born, bought him at 4 months) who was a pretty bad dummy foal(maybe that has something to do with it?). I've NEVER met an easier horse to train, ever. Takes everything in stride. However, he was also a little bit shy as a foal, much like my fillies this year are, but came around to be a super sweet horse. I rode his sire though, and know that part of that is good genetics, his sire is the exact same way. I had him intact until Dec. 08, and he continued to be an easy going boy. Nice horse no doubt, but didn't need to be a stallion. I'm starting him myself now, and have had no issues what-so-ever. I've never started a filly myself, so I can't attest to that. I did start a mare who was 4 when I got her and relatively untouched, that was a challenge.... but I attribute that to the lack of handling up until that point.

I agree that a lot of it depends on bloodlines though, and the early handling of the foal. I do pretty much always hope for fillies though, as I'd love to keep a couple nice ones to compete for several years, then breed later on down the road. Many people, however, seem to prefer geldings to ride. All a matter of prefence I think

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 731
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet has commented on a few differences between new born colts and fillies...she says all things being equal, the fillies latch on to the teat sooner, learn more quickly...that mares discipline their fillies more than their colts...interesting observations from someone who sees so many....

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for continuing this thread.

My latest observations with Reba - WE HAVE A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF US!!!!! Her full brother was like you described your stud colt, Samatha (just like his daddy). This little hell on wheels is a Whole differnt story.

I handle her 2-3 times per day, have "imprinted" her 4 times and yet at 1 week 2 days old, after a brief handling session (less than 5 minutes for her attention span) as I was walking away she took 2 quick steps back towards me and kicked then ran off!! yes - another training session took place.........

THEN......The older horses are interested in her, but she will not even give them the time of day. So I thought I would hold her (across the fence) from them to at least touch noses. Feeling as I had her - I could ward off any aggression from the others. WELL..........It was the Filly that pinned her ears and took a strong nip at the older horses (aggressive).

Heaven help us - - what happened to girls are sugar and spice?? I think mine is spice.......Cajun pepper :-):-)

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 839
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry I agree with what your vet. In my experience fillies do learn to suck much more quickly, colts are slower, need guidance and encouragement and the bigger the colt the slower to suck!! I find colts more friendly and fillies more elusive, fillies tend to stick to the mares more and colts are more independant, easier to wean and more cheeky. I find colts generally easier until they become yeralings and their hormones kick in. Colts are easier to discipline, fillies you often have to be 'nicer to'. Fillies can often have temper tantrums and boil over more easily than colts. Fillies can be a lot more fiesty and lose their cool. This is obviously a generalisation, the breeding and personalities of the mares and stallions often also has an impact on their personality traits.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is all herd behavior and you got yourself one alpha filly there :-) I have seen a mares keep young stallions put in there place and let's be honest the mare does have the power of saying when :-)

Carol
Weanling
Username: Rodawn

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always felt that fillies are more up front about their feelings, so if they do have a tantrum, they're just telling you straight up how they feel. This is much prefered over a horse (whether filly or colt) that simmers and steams under the skin, stewing and brewing and standing there with fixed, tight muzzle and darkened eyes. The latter type of horse can be a dangerous one to deal with if you are not observant because they can suddenly blow and those are the ones that will strike at you with full intention of hurting you.

I keep detailed notes about temperaments in my foals. Any time a mare/stallion match produces a temperament I don't like, I never use that stallion again with that particular mare. Some stallions mix better with some mares, obviously, and I'm very fussy about temperament. I want easy-going, good-natured foals with good trainability and handleability because eventually it translates into good rideability, and it had better show up right away, or the stallion/mare combo is a reject. Of note, that same stallion might repeatedly produce the perfect tempered foal with a different mare, and vice verse. I ensure that my mares are all sweet natured and easy to handle, easy to catch, with absolutely no vices like kicking/biting/cribbing/weaving, etc., because the foal watches everything. Monkey see, monkey do! It depends on the gene match-up but it is always Russian Roulette so-to-speak anyway.

If your sweet mare who normally produces sweet foals, is matched with a new stallion and suddenly produces a foal whose temperament is one you begin to question, then that probably came from the stallion. I'm of the belief that stallions do indeed influence temperament, handleability, trainability and rideability at least 50%.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US