SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Belly Shape Question...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Belly Shape Question... « Previous Next »

DTQH
Nursing Foal
Username: Dtqh

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious about the shape of a mare's belly when she is close to foaling.

Some info says right before foaling, the belly drops into a "V" shape, and there are hollows in front of the hips. Other sources say the hips fill out right before. I'm confused to say the least!

Which is the shape people have noticed more before their mare foals?

Thanks everyone for helping clear this up for me!

Sheila Brookins
Breeding Stock
Username: Sheilabrookins

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the pics and posts on here it would be the "V" shape,if you look at the horse from behind you can't tell that they are pregnant.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 804
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love some clarity on the "flank" issue, also. I know that maidens can definately skip the "V" because they still have tight stomach muscles. Mine definately did not V. It will be intersting to see if she does this time. I have been staring at her flanks daily becaase I want to be able to recognize the "filling". And, are the hollows in front of the hip bone separate from the "full" flanks or are they going to pop back out?
I have only truly "mare stared" two horses and they were both maidens. They played very nicely and when it was time to foal, they demonstrated lots of the signs and had their babies promptly. This time is an entirely different experience!

DTQH
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee, I'm where you are!

My mare (maiden) for the last three days has packed lower, and she definately looked slimmer from behind. Now however, she is bulging out on one side, and her hip bones are not showing as much as they were.

Any idea what that means?

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was Dream in 2006 6 hours before foaling. Her most obviously sign was an udder that suddenly blew up like a dairy cow and she waxed. Foal was born 6 hours later. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Dream%20pregnancy%20and%20birth% 20pics-Catcher/339dayssideview.jpg

How many days is your girl? Dream is currently at 328 and in a stage where she is round sometimes, and skinny sometimes. As I understand, the foal keeps repositioning into the birth canal, but then she slips back down which causes the buldge to return. I hear this can go on for weeks.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the mare is close I have found that the hollow areas will fill out on almost all mares. It appear that the belly connects directly to the hip. When the foal moves into the birth canal or gets into the foaling position it will be sitting farther back than during the rest of the gestation. It usually occurs a day or two before foaling. Sometimes the filling is coming and going I would guess that the foal is in an odd position or stetching. I have seen foals push out an area on a mares side(3 to 4 inches)so much you would think she has a hematoma until it moves.

Sorry but it is the best I can explain it!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pic Kathee. Look at he hallows almost non existant.

DTQH
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful horse Kathee!

I'm not sure how many days along she is, as her owner is not sure of the date of breeding.

Right now as I watch her, she is breathing hard, pawing, stretching out and then kicking her belly. She has done this for the last few days, but today the baby isn't moving as much, and her tail has been swishing like crazy.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 808
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan - thanks- that clears "flanks" up for me! And yes, I have seen the alien lump trying to escape through her flank. Is that the foals hip, hock, knee, head...any idea?

DTQH - I notice today that there was alot more foal movement in her belly and it is absent in her rear. I am guessing baby changed her mind.

Sheila Brookins
Breeding Stock
Username: Sheilabrookins

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan thats exactly what my mare is doing.Thanks now I know thats normal!She is in day 363.

DTQH
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I have to admit I'm still a little confused. I wish I knew the date this little mare was bred! She must be somewhat close though. Very soft, hollow ares in front of hip bones are filled in, more on one side than the other, her vulva is long and puffy. She urinates little amounts frequently. Her bag is not full yet though. Any idea how long after the baby gets into position it usually is? Wait... Jonathan just answered that LOL.. I need more sleep....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US