SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Agressive behavior in Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Agressive behavior in Mare « Previous Next »

Tica Clarke
Weanling
Username: Fwsptappy

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Bobbi, You were right, she was soooo close. (you and Jonathen are now my new heroes) LOL And she did foal after the front passed. Dang it that it had to be so cold! Now we have a little issue with Farah being so protective of her foal. She's ok with me and a few other people but when other people come over to see her she is really nasty. In fact she bit my daughters hand last night. And corraled my other daughter away from the gate. LOL They are 12 and 13 so they can handle it but really! I would like to move them out of the barn and paddock into the round pen for a while but if she doesn't have that baby within 3ft from her she goes nuts. LOL this from my calm easy going mare. Does the over protectiveness subside at some point?

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 543
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does subside and it varies from mare to mare...in my experience, most mares are easier after about 2 weeks. but some do persist for much longer....My alpha mare was terrible for about one week and last night she left her foal sleeping in the field and came in to eat...I was very surprised, her baby is only 10 days old...last year another very sweet mare picked up a small dog by the ruff of its neck and tossed it about 20' feet across the pen when her baby was 1 week old...this year she was quite nippy for about 2 weeks but now has settled down...baby is 4 weeks old. As a rule I am very cautious around newly foaled mares for about two weeks, I keep a halter on them and caution visitors to keep their distance when baby is new. I watch carefully and let the mare tell me she is back to her old sweet self...

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cogratulations Tica. Glad we could help. Sorry about the cold, but there is something about the change in weather that will push a mare over the edge. As Terry said she will get better in a few days or weeks once she figures out that no one want to steal it.

Jon

P.S. Bribery is a great thing!!!!!

Tica Clarke
Yearling
Username: Fwsptappy

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Terry and Jonathan, yikes about the dog. Last night she did start calming down a bit. But not enough that would make me feel comfortable in moving her and baby to the round pen yet. I may have to get the other horses out of the corral and let them romp in there for a while. The barn and paddock has a gate leading to the corral so I wouldn't have to hand walk(when it warms up though, another cold front has moved in) The filly was full of herself last night, she's full of beans thats for sure. So cute she's tearing around like crazy Farah has almost given up chasing her, she just gets upset if Sophie goes to the pipe fencing to mingle with the other horses. LOL

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tica: Awwww...you are welcome. And I'm only you're new hero because Jonathan has taught me well. I paid very close attention in last year's "foal watch class"...hahahaha. It is amazing how the barometric pressure and fronts can "assist" things along. I figure if the tides can change with the sun and the moon, what's to say that nature itself doesn't play a key role in survival of a species.

Your mare will settle down. I have mares that are fine from day one with human contact and I have others that take a few weeks before they calm down. Just give her time and let her settle down. If nothing more, just hang out at a distance and she'll get used to having humans around baby as long as she feels baby is not threatened.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 02:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it help with these aggressive mares, to go in without looking at the baby and halter Mom, or won't they even let you do that?

I've noticed a couple of aggressive mares at the college I'm attending. I keep my distance, but not sure how the staff handle things.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually put a halter on ALL mares before they foal just because they can be cranky or fearful right after the baby comes. That give me a chance to catch them easily in the stall. I also routinely tie the mare when I am going to work with the baby. You never know what a new mother will do at that time. I am very careful and respectful of the mare.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Terry and some mare in foal in a feeder that she is tied next too usually takes the edge off. My mare is so ravenous after birth that food works wonders :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree With Terry completely. Sounds as if we practice alot of the same things . all mare have a halter on before foaling, just in case you need a handle. Most of my mares settle down around their foals around 2 wks after delivery. I do, however, have one who was still freaking out when her baby was 4 months old. it just depends on the mare. I always try to interact with baby at feeding time while mom is distracted....and it will only do good for mom and foal if you separate them to work with the foal. Not too far away, just out of reach of mom at first, then work your way further and further from her. She'll settle down in time. If I were you, I'd keep her haltered until that happens.....so you at least have a handle if you need one.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US