SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Equipment - just incase

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Equipment - just incase « Previous Next »

Jane Whritenour
Yearling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may be a simple question but - if my mare doesn't nurse her baby - what replacement milk do I use. Also is there a special bottle and nipple somewhere> Or does a regular one work.

Do i get the paste stuff just in case I think its foal response?

Sunday the 5th of April will be day 300. So I want to have everything I need- just incase

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 539
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are quite a few things to try before going to replacement milk assuming the mare is there and has milk....

first try to let nature take its course...within the first couple of hours, usually mare and baby get it worked out....if not, the first thing I would try is to express milk using a large syringe with the end cut off....when you put the open end over the teat and pull the plunger, it suctions the milk into the syringe....then I put the milk into either another syringe with the tip in tact or a baby bottle with the nipple holes opened more.

This ensures the foal gets the colostrum and prevents too much fatigue in the foal (they might quit trying to nurse if they are too unsuccessful for too long)

In my case, by the time this much had happened my vet would
come and possibly sedate the mare if she is not allowing nursing....

I am sure other board members will make other suggestions...

Tica Clarke
Weanling
Username: Fwsptappy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane, I just had that very issue happen to us. In our case it was that the mare although very protective with her foal would not let her nurse. She would spin and when we tried to hold her, she would go balllistic. She is normally a very sweet calm easy going mare too so this is totally uncharacteristic of her. The vet sedater her, then gaver her oxytocin and collected the milk. He also tubed the filly and gaver her IgG through the tube, collected the mares milk gave her that through the tube. Then we were able to guide the baby and with the mare sedated let the baby figure it out, which she did. After that we had no issues at all whatsoever. I suggest going this route rather than having to bottle feed the baby if at all possible. That is a huge job I wouldn't want, you have to feed the baby every hour 24/7 for 2 weeks then its every 2 hours. I would go nutsos.. LOL

Tica Clarke
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was sedated not sedater LOL

Jane Whritenour
Yearling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hope we don't go that route either. but I better copy instructions for my local vet- so she knows what she needs to do.
I'm not kidding Then she will charge me.

Tica Clarke
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hope she knows what to do already,(what was vet school for?) but I'll tell you what else he have me, some extra syringes of ace (if you know how to give them shots) just in case she needed a few more to be more compliant LOL. Then he also gave me a tube of bacteria (gastromate)that I have to give her 10gm @ 1, 4 and 7th days. Also an enema in case she couldn't poop the meconium. He had a busy day that day and just probably didn't want to have to come back out unless it was critical.

Randee Fox
Neonate
Username: Randee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane and all,

I am kind of a 'Girl Scout' too - like to have everything prepared for 'worst case scenario' with foaling so bought Foal Boost to put in my foaling kit. Also got a goat kid plastic bottle with the smaller nipple at the local feed store. Here's a link to Foal Boost https://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-26001

By the way, I am a new member here. My mare is at day 347 today. I have not had a mare foal for 10 years. Last year I lost a dear young horse to sudden colic. She was my personal riding partner. I didn't waste much time finding another wonderful horse partner a few months later...only thing...she was in foal but she is worth it. She's one of the sweetest horses I've ever known and throws lovely babies (I met 2). This is her fourth so she's a pro. Last year she went 11 days beyond 240. So here we go. I have had a wireless camera hooked up to a monitor next to my bed since day 320! Lots of waking up. I am finally sleeping more soundly between wake ups. Her bag is big but no waxing. Her muscles are jello-y around her tail. Last 3 foals she waxed up 3 days before. Maybe this weekend.

Feels good to be a part of a community of 'foaling folks'. Will keep you posted.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 882
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also suggest getting Seramune. It is $150.00 a bottle, but not all vets carry it and if needed, and if they have to order it, it could take too long to get.

I ordered it from my vet and kept it in frig. I did have to use it.

Milking mare is best option if the baby doesn't nurse, but having colostrum from another mare (especially if local) or Seramune, is next best thing.

I'v heard a baby bottle or goat/sheep bottle is best. I'd bought a calf size bottle with nipple and it was too big, so didn't work. So I squirted it into the side if the mouth with a syringe. It was somewhat difficult.

Good luck! Hope you have a very healthy little foal! Keep us posted.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US