SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

NO udder at all due March 22nd

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » NO udder at all due March 22nd « Previous Next »

Stephanie detmer
Neonate
Username: Aliskeeper

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here one for you all...(we will go to Vets today)
This mare is NOT maiden .Is due the 22nd of MARCH. Definately pregnant..Foal is alive. NOT exposed to fescue grass or hay. Normally bags up on scheduale . never had a problem before.
She has no begining of an udder or edema..I am afraid to ask but need some suggestions other than call the vet.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to say I have a mare that 2007 did not get any udder til 3 days before foaling......
otherwise I don't know what to tell you

Stephanie detmer
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks..I have another call into the vets..we will take her in and make sure nothings going on with the placenta.. I hope she has just changed her pattern for some silly reason.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it seems those mare like to keep you guessing
Hope all is well

sheila kelleher
Neonate
Username: Innishfael

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dorthy, same EXACT thing happened to me this year. mare has been bred to same stallion five times before, always bagged up starting three weeks ahead of time. this year she is on day 340 right now and i saw NO udder development until day 338. whew! now i will be watching her closely just in case things progress rapidly. no doubt she will foal in about two weeks.... i did have her blood checked in case there was any toxicity, but all was normal.

must be the year for weird stuff like this

Magic1
Weanling
Username: Magic1

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened with the bag on your mares? I have a maiden that just foaled. She was on Domperidone and still did not form a bag, but miracle, the foal was able to get a hold of those little tiny nipples and is getting some milk, but the bag does not seem to be getting any larger. Does it usually get larger with nursing?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magic1

Keep with the Domperidone. We have some that had to have it for up to a month post foaling.

Stephanie detmer
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

still no bag here..mare started on Domperidone yesterday..Ill keep yall posted..very nerve racking ) :

Gail B.
Neonate
Username: Pink_pony

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I am new to this blog and like Stephanie, have a mare that is 338 days. She is not maiden, this will be her 4th foal, but she is new to us so we have no previous knowledge of what is normal for her. I keep reading that calcium levels in their milk is a good indicator of their progress but all we get is a drop or two of lightly cloudy watery milk - not enough to test. She is very low, udder is full and she is getting very soft in her hind quarters. I am wondering if without the evidence of actual milk if we are still a ways off.

sheila kelleher
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stephanie what happened with your mare? mine is now at day 356.... has a small udder but her teats are not full yet. my guess of two weeks off was incorrect as well :::sigh:::

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 885
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 03:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gail, is this your first foal?

sheila kelleher
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

day 359... i have been reading on this forum (too much probably!) and am experiencing DUHH....

mare is waddling now, truly not walking well, full bag but no cone shape to the teats yet. i have a few more days off of work, i pray she goes within this time frame.

Stephanie detmer
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is now 356 days and still not full yet. some edema thats comming and going ..if I keep reading other post I will began to worry (also like Shiela) .... I am told I have my dates wrong ...I don't think so but am hoping so NOW
!!! My hubby says we have a week to go..oh the stress is no fun.

sheila kelleher
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stephanie, keep me posted on how you progress! i only had my mare bred the one time at the stallion station and we had no males on the farm last year, so there was no hankypanky. i just have the one breeding date! this morning the mare's bag looked 'leathery' and shiny. still no wax and the teats are definitely more full today than yesterday.

Sheila Brookins
Yearling
Username: Sheilabrookins

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Day 361 still no full udder,she is waddling and dragging her feet.I dont know where yall live but I noticed quite a few mares are over 350 days in the south east!I am in middle Ga.

Stephanie detmer
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Central California and dont know how many horses have gone a year ..because I just never asked ( : .. might be somewhat comman, might not be.
Shiela..we have edema again this morning..I'm not seeing much else change .
Stressed in CA.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie, I live in CA (near Sacramento), and have had essentially normal gestations so far this year(341 days, and 336 days), so I don't think the weather has anything to do with it.

Keep us posted!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Michigan and my mare is at day 349 with pretty much nothing happening. I know her dates are right as I am the one who bred her

Sheila Brookins
Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well we are on day 362,I noticed a change in Molly yesterday so maybe we are in the ballpark!

Sheila Brookins
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I forgot,there is still no change in her udders.

Stephanie detmer
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, I don't think its the weather either.(I live outside of Modesto) It probably happens more than we know.. we just never notice till we HAVE one ( :
No NOTHING this morning..I check sometimes 3 times a day..I'm bad

Crystal Gerszewski
Yearling
Username: Spot_collection

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Everyone,

I have posted on this site quit a bit before but this is my first time this year. I have 3 mares due this spring. One of which was due on the 12st of March and still only has half a bag and is waxing a little bit every night. I had this mare last year for her maiden year and she filled her bag and had her colt within 3 days with the only main sign being that she drank 10 gallons of water the night she had him. I have another mare (maiden marea) thats not due until the end of April but has been lengthening for almost a week now, she has a little bag, and is getting very soft in the hind end. Both mares have moved the foal back towards thier pelvis. Any ideas?

O yes and the third mare is due today and so far absolutely nothing and she is not a maiden mare.

Sheila Brookins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have pics?

Sheila Brookins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is on day 363 today and her left udder has some development,enough to squeeze out.Her right udder has a little milk.

sheila kelleher
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FINALLY...this morning i saw wax on my mare, and from past pregnancies knew this was 'the sign'. lucky for me i had the day off of work and my daughter is on spring break. at noon my mare went down to foal and she just could not get more than the head and front legs out, the foal was too big. after many minutes went by, i grabbed the front legs to help. he was not budging. the mare was grunting and i was grunting and finally i had my daughter pull one leg whilst i pulled the other. wallah! out he came, and he is HUGE. not a pinto like i wished for, but he is buckskin and so all is good with the world :-) took him quite a while to get up, but the mare passed the afterbirth right away and all is good.

thanks SO much for all the support here. i am hoping i can lend some back in kind.
http://www.arabianbreeders.net/Forums/uploads/1239220900/gallery_172_34_198563.j pg

http://www.arabianbreeders.net/Forums/uploads/1239220900/gallery_172_34_251352.j pg

hope the links work. one down, four to go!

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Sheila, he's striking looking, a really big handsome boy. Very considerate of the mare to foal at noon when you had help. Well done on the good job getting the baby out safe.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 833
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm jealous...I want a buckskin baby! He is beautiful!

Sheila Brookins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sheila,he is gorgous!It's depressing to read about all of you foaling.I can't wait for my turn!!I am so happy for you!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also am depressd --my mare is now 351 days nothing new no udder. Now I am starting to worry-- as far as I know the hay didn't have any fescue
Congrats pretty baby
Heres a new pic of my mare--she still looks bred right?
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/horses006.jpg[/IMG]
heres her non existent udder
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/horses005.jpg[/IMG]

Stephanie Detmer
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yahoo! Shiela...sure a good thing you had help
Lovely colt! I too am hopeing for spots but buckskin is the next best thing!! Congrats

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOOZER!! What a handsome colt! So glad all turned out okay and you did a great job. He is lovely...

sheila kelleher
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dorothy, your mare does not look so pregnant to me, but she is obviously a larger mare so she could easily carry her pregnancy better. when was she last checked or ultrasounded? her bag definitely looks like she has a ways to go.

thanks for all the compliments everyone! he is sure a sweet colt to boot.

stephanie, keep us posted on your progress, i bet you get a foal this weekend.

Cindy Dawson
Neonate
Username: Cindy97

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I'd add my findings on foaling this year. I have 9 mares pregnant, 3 are now overdue. One due 3/24, 3/29 and 4/2. All due dates calculated by days pregnant last two - three years. None of these mares has a full bag or seems likely to have a foal anytime soon. I'm wondering what's up, too????

Stephanie Detmer
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy,
I do find that very interesting...I wonder if there are any statistics out there.
my mare is 361 days today. and not fully bagged up yet.I'm thinking I will just attribute mine to human error.... I will post when she foals ( :

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US