SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Over due mare with bloody show?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Over due mare with bloody show? « Previous Next »

Dakarai Arabians
Nursing Foal
Username: Lumani

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys,

Some of you may be following Feirouz's foal watch and if you have you know she is now 6 days over due.

Good news! She bagged up two days ago and has deffinently softened in the hind end.

I noticed today that she lost her mucus plug and has some bloody show about her vulva. Her appatite is good, moving around alot but she keeps lifting her tail every few moments and there is some fetal movement.

This is her 5th foal. I am just wondering with the bloody show, how long does that usually last before bub arrives?(I know babe will come when its ready, just looking for average estimate) She is deffinently in a calmer mood and even let me feel her udder which she is usually pretty particular about.

Very anxious for the foal to arrive as I have been waiting since 2007! (she slipped her foal last year and has a 2007 full sibling)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, when my mare lost her mucous plug, the vet said he's never seen one go over 4 days...mine went 7. Hoping for a nice foal for you soon!
Happy foaling!

Tica Clarke
Nursing Foal
Username: Fwsptappy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare lost her plug last week, think it was on Tuesday when she lost it. She still hasn't had that baby.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a quick reply. They can lose thier cervical plug a month or more prior to foaling. We have had some spit thier plug 2 months prior to having a normal foaling.

Tica Clarke
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew. Jonathan, I have been reading your posts, do you think you can take a look at my mares photos that I took yesterday? http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/tica_clarke/

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tica: I'm not Jonathan but I'll just throw in my two cents anyway, lol. She looks darn close. You're not far off, she looks like she's getting loose in the backend and her udder looks prime. I'd say anytime now.

Oh, and nice picture of Rupert there! LOL

Tica Clarke
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL thank you Bobbi, I unknowingly started an album on photobucket ages ago and was surprised to get on photobucket and not only had I already been registered, but found a photo already on there of Ruppie. Thank you Bobbi, I'm almost afraid to leave her side, but unfortunantly we are getting some weather coming in and its darned cold out there. LOL. I keep looking out the window though and there she is, just standing there. I saw a post that Jonathan had commented on about filling in on the flanks was it? Has she v'd yet? Her bag was warm and firm today. Ticked her off that I dared touch it. She had little amber colored beads on her udders but today they are gone. Her vulva has darkened a bit. My luck she'll foal tomorrow when I'm at work. There is no milk dripping, she won't let me touch her udders. I've been trying for a few months now to warm her up to the idea, but she really gets upset. Shes not spongy, but she's maiden so... LOL sorry I'm rambling but I'm soooo nervous and excited and anxious.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She has definately V'd. And yes, Jonathan, the master foaler (with sidekick Tim) has educated me well on the "filling in of the flanks". It is a definate appearance that you will notice in person. Maybe not your first go around but keep watching that flank area (where the hair grows up, the tickle zone I call it). It will start to slightly "barrel" out, that's when baby has moved into the presentation form. Its really, really hard to tell in photos, I can definately say that because you can't get that "in person three-dimensional effect" but you're getting close from what I can tell from the photos. When she finally foals, if you keep an eye on that daily, you will know what we are talking about. Doesn't do you much good though now, does it? LOL! But you'll definately have it figured out by the second time you have a foal.

If she has amber beads on her udders, that is perhaps a sign of waxing...could be 24-96 hours. That's not too long. I wouldn't be too surprised to find that she foals tomorrow while you're at work. You may not ever have milk dripping until baby hits the ground so don't rely on that. That is typically more of a sign for professional broodmares who churn babies out every year.

You're not rambling...this is how you get the education you'll need. You couldn't have a found a better place than all of us crazy horse people who do this every year and still stress and worry. LOL! Its a terrible, terrible sickness for which there is no cure.

Maidens have a hard time with the whole udder thing because they can't understand what in the world is going on with their bodies anyway, much less why their humans are now so interested in looking at their private parts and grabbing at their udder. LOL. You may find that even when she foals she resists that first nursing (my two did) because she hasn't figured out what this miniature thing is that just pooped out of them and why is it wanting my belly too...I had to hold me one of my maidens last year (who was a stressed mess and frantic that this little thing kept following her around) to make her let him nurse. I even had to handle her to prevent her from biting or kicking at him. Now, after we got him nursing and she realized that it relieved the pressure on her udder, she was more than happy to oblige him.

You are soooooo close. If you're getting bad weather in, I would watch her when the front passes. That's when she's liable to drop that wee one.

And, I think you may be incorrect...I can see the "spongy" already.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tica,

Go with what Bobbi said. Just going by the pictures she appears to be really close.

Bobbi,

I guess you have been listening.

Tica Clarke
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jonathan I sure willLOL I'm just tired of holding my breath. LOL

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: Hehehe...no, you've taught me well. You should be proud. I am so much more relaxed this year. (This same method works for cows too...lol). My hubby is a bit out of sorts lately, I've received 3, yes count them, THREE ice cream sundaes for my "when they're going to calf" bets within the last two weeks. I've nailed every baby we've had so far, so I'm up to five babies where I had them pegged within 24 hours since 2009 began. The latest (last Wed) my hubby had the GALL to argue with me that the silly cow wasn't even bred when I told him on Sunday night, "Mattie will calf within 48 hours"...he was like, she's open and not even carrying, she doesn't even have an udder on her, what makes you say that!"...well, the filled out flank area and the relaxed rear view is pretty darn obvious to me now. I got the phone call Wed morning..."What kind of sundae do you want this time?!" He's not amused. LOL!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US