SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

First time owner!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » First time owner!! « Previous Next »

Terra Brand
Neonate
Username: Cosmo09

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok so I have my first horse and have had her for about a year now. She is pregnant and is due in May. Help! ha ha. I know a little about it and have been looking it up but any pointers? She unfortunately isn't at my home so it will be hard for me to be there when she has the baby. But I will def. try! Are there certain things I should know? This isn't her first foal, she has had quite a few. And I was told that she is VERY VERY protective of her foals pretty much until they are weaned! What is the best way to work with her on that? Its my first foal so I really want to be involved with it but also not stress out my mare. So any help would be great! Thanks!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations on your impending foal and welcome to the board! My mare does not live at my home either..she is boarded but we managed to be there when she foaled. Read around on this board and you will get lots of tips as to what to watch for. Post pictures if you can we love to see our expectant mommas. That is great that she has foaled before. I would really work with her and her trust and attachment with yourself...and don't be afraid of getting your hands on the foal...grain in a feed bucket works wonders with a nursing mom..they are ravenous and as long as baby is close and food is there they usually calm down enough to let you handle them :-)

Terra Brand
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! Ya I have been looking over a lot of the posts! Her trust with me is already a lot better than in the beginning so hopefully it won't be too hard! I saw the baby kick for the first time yesturday and got sooo excited! I wasn't too sure until then that she was pregnant! Everyone kept telling me different things! I will take some pictured today and post them.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terra , Welcome!! This is the greatest site. We will answer ANYTHING when it comes to reproduction and sometimes other topics too. Lots of experience from others and lots of experience being a beginner. I had my first baby colt last year and have LOVED almost every minute of it. I say almost because a few days were kind of anxious and frustrating. Before and after the birth. any nervousness.... ASK and I mean anything. Keep us posted.

renee
Neonate
Username: Renee07

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am breeding my maiden mare for the first time this spring and super excited about it. Good luck to you and you should be very excited. My mare is boarded as well so I know how you feel. Im nervous for you and happy for you.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee, I know how you feel. I bred a mare last year for my first time. It was the most exciting thing except maybe my own babies and grand child. Good luck to you. Take advantage of every moment and keep well informed by this site. We will answer ANYTHING!!!! Don't be afraid or embarassed to ask.

Brandi Thompson
Neonate
Username: Brandit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all! Another first time mother to be. I have a maiden mare that I think has dropped. I also have another mare that is on her 4 or 5 foal and is due the same time. I would like to upload pics but don't know how. Can someone please help me? Both mares are 340days today.

(Message edited by brandit on March 17, 2009)

sheilabrookins
Neonate
Username: Sheilabrookins

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Brandi and all yall!I 'm another first timer my horse Molly was bred by Brandi's stallion Gambler.My mare is 340 days today too!HELP!!!!

Brandi Thompson
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think I figured out how to load pics! These are Dixie. Maiden mare.

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/idnarb1976/brandi018.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/idnarb1976/brandi021.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/idnarb1976/brandi020.jpg[/IMG]

Brandi Thompson
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are of Coco. Please excuse how dirty they are. Its been raining here for 3 days! If anyone can give me any info it would be greatly appeciated. I am not sleeping in the car in the pasture anymore unless I have too!!! Please Help. Oh yeah, Hey, Sheila!
[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/idnarb1976/brandi022.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/idnarb1976/brandi023.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/idnarb1976/brandi024.jpg[/IMG]

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Brandi, I think Dixie looks like she could go at any minute. She's got the V look, her udder and nipples also look very full. Is her vulva relaxed? I think Coco is a few days behind Dixie, hasn't got that v look yet and her udder isn't as full as Dixie's. I be keeping a very close eye on Dixie. Keep us posted

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandie I agree with Ad TB. Dixie looks ready to go but Coco looks like she needs to cook a little longer.
Good luck

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty mares!Both look very tired of being pregnant. With Dixie, I'd say she could pop that baby out at any minute. I agree that Coco needs a little more time, but that could change overnight - at 340 days, she won't have many more days! Mare stare is a frustrating art!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Brandi,

Just going by the pictures I would say that Dixie has a few days to go. I would guess that her bag would get a little fuller. I can't tell real well by looking at the photos, but it doesn't appear that she has started filling in at the flanks yet. Watch her for trying to get away from her pasture mates or hanging in a different area than she normally does. This will be your best indicators. Maidens usually give you more warning so you have that on your side.

Coco looks to be a week or more out.

Hope you get to help them both! I may be wrong, but that is what I am seeing.

Brandi Thompson
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks alot for all the replys. I will probably be sleeping in the pasture tonite! Dixie took forever to eat her food tonite and that is very not like her. She isn't wanting to move around to much. Got her out today and cleaned her up and wrapped her tail. I am usually constantly fighting with her to make her walk beside me. Today she's dragging her feet. Food doesn't even excite her. So maybe this is it. I thought that same thing a week ago when she was staying to herself, biting at her sides, and urinating quite frequently. Now the only things I am seeing is trying to urinate with nothing, loss on interest in food, belly, and I did see drops of white on her nipples after washing them this evening. However I can't get anything to come out. I did notice while washing everything her vulva feels alot loser now than it was a week ago. As for looking at it I can't tell anything. I also noticed alot of movement this morning from the baby. Now hardly nothing. I will be heading back out shortly. Say a lil prayer for us!

Ad TB
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Brandi, hope you have good weather for sleeping outside. I'll be checking in later to see how you got on

Brandi Thompson
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well morning and still nothing. She hasn't changed any. She pretty much stood around all night and ate hay. No new signs, no nothing! Another wasted night.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully it'll be soon. Any waxing?

sheilabrookins
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey yall,Molly looks more like Coco.I noticed yesterday Molly is starting to stay to herself more,away from Prince and Dunnit!Her and Brandi's mares are 341 days today!That's about all me and Brandi talk about all day!I think we are both scared to death!!!

Brandi Thompson
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got home and still no baby. I noticed a small amout of waxing on Dixie 2 days ago. But nothing major. I will be headed out to check on them in a few. I'll let you know if there are any changes.

Brandi Thompson
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still nothing. She actually looks like she's backing up. She's eating good feeling frisky, and everything seems normal! This is driving me crazy!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful with that change. I slept in my barn several nights when mine was due last year and of course nothing happened, so another night, mare looked too good so said "its not tonight", went and watched tv, took a shower, went out to check and THERE HE WAS!!! You never know. I was just a little disappointed to not have seen it but sooooo excited he was here and healthy that that was the least of my worries. I heard it can be quite nerve racking to watch.

Brandi Thompson
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She keeps changing back and fourth on me so much its driving me nuts. I would have thought for sure she'd go first and now the other mare is showing changes pretty fast. I really wish I could get up and go down there and find a healthy foal and healthy mom. That way I could avoid the sleepless nights and constant worring. But, if something happened and I wasn't there I don't know if I could forgive myself! I have been updating both mares progress under foal watch.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember just how you feel, Brandi. My vet assured me that a HIGH percentage of births go without a hitch and they would probably prefer you not to be there. I too wanted to be there in case there was trouble and of course to see such an amazing miracle. But he's here and perfect. You won't have much longer I'm sure. How exciting. Hang in there. I remember the sleepless and interrupted nights. We had a group of us , all experiencing the same thing, that's what makes this website so wonderful. Lot's of support and comraderie. I still feel like they are my friends even though I've never met them in person. They have understood even when family and others don't.

sheilabrookins
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Kay!I am the only one that loves horses in my family,so Brandi and I talk about our horses alot,every day on the phone.I can't wait for Molly to foal!I feel like its my baby!!!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandi can you post new pics?

Brandi Thompson
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Jonathan I haven't been back on this thread since I started one under ready and waiting foal watch 2008-2009. I have pics of her on there pretty much everyday!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon!!! Where've ya been man?!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bobbi! Been busy 82 down and 60 to go. We think. I haven't had as much time this year and the board has been pretty quiet. I guess everyone wants to has warm weather foals. How everyone out in MO.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just peachy here! LOL! The Moose took me for ride over a gate recently, I've learned to let go now. ROFL! Wow, he got kind of big without me realizing it. Gotta hate that when your yearlings aren't babies anymore and you're too stupid to have realized it yet.

Other than that, two pregnancies going well. You must stay on here after you're all done in KY with that foaling fiesta. I've got one due in late Sept/early Oct...I'll be all by myself on here!

You're over the hump and half way there. I hope you've been having a wonderful season!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandi: How's that mare doing?

Terra Brand
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I started this and haven't came back much! I have been researching a lot! This website is a lot of help! I hope my foal doesn't take as long as Brandi's! I will go insane! Roxy is getting bigger! I need to take some pics and put them on! She just thinks its silly to stay still for pictures!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US