SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Company during foaling?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Company during foaling? « Previous Next »

Diane Loveday
Weanling
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My horses are kept in thier stalls at night. The wall between them is open with metal bars on the upper half. My question is, will the presence of my gelding disturb my mare if she foals during the night? Will his presence distract her and possibly cause her to delay labor?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diane...my only concern would be of the mare possibly hurting the foal if your gelding is too nosey after the birth...she might get anxious and step on it...is there any way when she becomes really close that he could be left out? I would try to give her as much privacy as possibly until the foal is up and about.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would be my advice as well.

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same here. I actually put up a sheet of plywood to cover the bars between my mare and the neighboring gelding last year.(My stall had bars from wall to ceiling so no open part for the neighboring horse to stick his head in.)

That way she wasnt stressed out at Mr. Nosey and trying to charge the bars all the time and I didnt have to worry about her stomping on her colt. I had her in a corner stall so she had only one neighbor.

After the colt was on the ground and everything seemed ok and he had his legs well under him, (about 4 weeks or so) I took down the plywood. By that time my mare wasnt as stressed and the baby could get out of the way easy enough.

D

Diane Loveday
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, That is what I was thinking. I'll plan to leave Mr. Nosey and noisy out at night when her time gets closer. I had thought about the plywood but that would not keep things quiet or peaceful for her.

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare didnt seem to be bothered by noise or commotion in the barn (there were 8 horses stalled) but she really took offence to Mr. Nosey getting too close to the bars of the stall beside her, so she would charge at him when he was standing at the bars or looking through them. I found that the plywood bocked her view of him, and his view of her, and that was all it took.

I was more worried about her charging the bars and stepping on the foal than anything else. Thats why the plywood worked so well for me.

This was also her third foal, and shes always been very protective of her babies so not seeing a threat worked well in my situation.

D

todd dennis simmons
Weanling
Username: Horsetrainer

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane,

My mare went 2 weeks early last year and was still in with her gelding buddy when she foaled. All went well but with all the stress of the gelding running around we were very lucky. Do yourself and your mare a favor and start keeping him out well before she foals.

Diane Loveday
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Todd, I will have her pasture area fenced off by the end of this week (she will be at day 320) where she will be insight of her buddy but alone to enjoy her hay as slowly as she likes and a safe place to foal during the day if it happens without warning while I'm at work.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a problem similer to this.. My mare is kept out with access to the barn and is in with 2 other mares (4 and 25 years old) and a gelding (around 8 y/o) my problem though is the gelding will literally break down pipe if he even hears something going on with "his girls" and Lady is very attached to her female friends. Last year I tried putting her up around 30 days before foaling kept her bedded down with daily turn-out and she carried 30 days past her original due date. We turned her out overnight due to no foaling signs and BOOM the next morning we had a baby! The other horses didnt bother her much but my nurse mare (which I sold about 10 months ago) stole lady's colt and nursed him herself. I am worried about this happening again only with the "old lady" of the herd.. Im at a loss because Lady absolutely REFUSES to foal without her companions and I only have about 55 days left to figure sonething out..

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US