SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Anybody still here?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Anybody still here? « Previous Next »

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has everyone left or are some of you still recovering from some of the little hoodlums you had last year. Yes Bobbi that is aimed at you!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha! Bobbi's still around! Guess she hasn't fully recovered from the Christmas break though! Good to see you again, Jonathan, looking forward to your tremendous insight this year!

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 02:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

likewise terry

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAHA Jonathan...you're such a real stinker! But we love ya! I'm back! Took a week long hiatus to Kansas City to celebrate a late Christmas with my folks.

Got a great Christmas present from my hubby...a dump bed cart for behind the tractor! I was sooooo excited! I told Diana that there's not many women out there who can get a crap haulin', turd dumpin' wagon to pull behind the tractor and be excited but I was tickled! No more wheelbarrowing stall mess. Awwwww!

So, aren't you about to be thrown into the throngs of DUHH-dum here anyday?????

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..........Where 2 or more are gathered in the name of Duhhh, there will I be also........

Duhhh 18:20

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh cool....we get both sides of the "jekyll and hyde" equation back.....LOL
How's the leg, Tim?

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The leg is 100% (80% without the age allowance), thanks for asking.

We opened up the foaling barn last night, so Jon is manning his post for the next 6 mos. I think our latest count is 141, which is pretty much in line with last year. There have been a few changes to the barn and people in the last year, but the essence of it all is still there.

There will be more noticable changes in the future with regards to numbers of horses and job assignments, but this year still looks pretty busy on the front end.

BTW: which one am I

(Message edited by dystocia on January 06, 2009)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! I never really gave it much thought, Tim! I wasn't implying that one of you is evil...just that you go together like peas and carrots! Peanut Butter and Jelly! And the 2 guys who had the white tigers until one of them got eaten....LOL It's nice to have you BOTH back here....we can use all the help when can get!

(Message edited by kdgilger on January 07, 2009)

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim is evil! The worst boss anyone ever had!!!! Mean, unappreciable, and those are his good points!

One note on the Tiger pair reference. We aren't that close!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Rum & Coke! Like Flies and Poop! ROFL!

Hey boys...whatcha think about how well my boy healed up???!!! Boy, I'm a good vet tech aren't I?!?!

Before:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Hurt%20Horses/HorsePictures0 65.jpg

After:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/HorsePictures009.jpg

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo on the wound healing, for sure!!!!!!!!!

I think we'll stick with Jekyll and Hyde for now.

Plus, I don't think our "Musical Magical Foaling Show" is Vegas Strip material. (Roll THAT mental picture around in your heads for awhile why don't ya)

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Bobbi!

"Plus, I don't think our "Musical Magical Foaling Show" is Vegas Strip material."

Yeah i've heard him sing, drumming pretty good, singing imagine Urkel from Family Matters with a sore thoat!

And he is the good singer!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Message edited by kynwatch on January 07, 2009)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, now i remember why i chose the Jeckyll and Hyde analogy!!! LOL.....now, i remember.....

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also remember why I chose the "Flies & Poop" analogy!

You may be wrong there Tim. I've pondered over that particular vision and I DO believe that the two of you could fair quite well in Vegas as a sideshow. Perhaps in a future life when NONE of us can afford these crazy creatures any longer. HA!

You and Jonathan missed my astute thought about palpating a mare...similar to the ole "Rocky & Bullwinkle" skit of reaching into a hat and pulling out a rabbit...."ROAR!"...whoops, maybe I should get another hat. Its been enjoyable watching everyone debating the "is my mare pregnant or not". I believe Holly was almost ready to obsessively borrow her vet's US and drive to my house to end the debate, which, by the way, is still lingering. However, Diana and I secretly are pretty sure I'm going to get a surprise baby sometime between March & April.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 814
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Everybody!!!! Just wanted to drop in and say I am still here. LOL Just haven't been on much lately. :-) Hope everyone is doing great!!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Emily! I haven't been on here in awhile either. Have been dealing with some crisis and issues...not been in the mood much to talk (AND that would be a real shocker for me...hahaha).

Nice to see you. I hope everyone else has been doing well...in the process of trying to get caught up with the news.

Blossom blew out her sole of her foot we treated so long and hard for laminitis. I'm just speechless right now and not sure what direction I'm going to take.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, Bobbi!!!!! I am sorry to hear that. ((((HUGS))))

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Emily. I'm just sick at this point. Its so disappointing to fight the good fight and to have a set back like this happen. I'm so emotional about it right now that I've opted not to make any decisions yet about what I'm going to do going forward. All I can do is just rub her and look into those soft baby brown eyes of hers and tell her what a remarkeable individual she is. Who would ever think something as "easy and routine" as weaning would leave such a deep mark on your horse's health. In all my years of dropping babies on the ground, I guess I've just been lucky and not lost a mare this late in the game due to a pregnancy situation.

But, the good news is that its nice to see you on here Emily! I've missed ya!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi~ So sorry to hear about Blossom..I hope that you have peace as you move forward...you are a special person. Hugs, Jan

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock
Username: Michellej

Post Number: 380
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi...what to say?? I am truly saddened by this and I wish I could do something practical to help!
If you want to just talk/ vent or cry... please feel free to email, our mutual friend has my contact details!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys...that's why I just love you all so much for your friendships! I did just get some good news though...(I can tell when things are better because my veterinarian gets rather funny sarcastic instead of a somber thing when I know things are not looking good.)

It would appear that the xrays are looking good...perhaps Blossom has dodged another bullet. The bones are all in place and no rotation has taken place. We're going with the initial inflammation and infection caused by mastitis then laminitis has perhaps caused an abcess as well in the hoof and its just taken all this time for it to finally blow out (since August...can you all believe that?!?!?!) We are going to pack the big (and I do mean BIG hole in the sole of her foot) with gauze soaked in epsom salt poultic...just to pull out anything remaining...and wrap her foot in duct tape. We discussed an easy boot but because of the snow, ice and watering method (ponds) there are concerns that she will pull the boot off in the mud or even get moisture in it that sits and perhaps causes a secondary infection to set in.

He even gave me the "all ok" to breed her in March...pffttt...go figure that out.

My biggest baffle in all of this is that she has not had a bout with any lameness whatsoever since our last bout months ago...even now with a big hole in her foot. Vet says she probably feels alot better though. Good thing its cold outside...summer heat could have played another nasty role in this...

maybe I should go out and buy some lottery tickets...luck just seems to keep showing up on my side here. Wish it would pay the vet bills though. Hehehehe.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, you always have so much "spirit" in you, it is hard to hear you are not feeling well. I am glad Bolssom foot is looking better and please tell us if we can help you in any way. Hugs!!!!!!!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, so sorry you are still battling lameness issues with Blossom.
On the other hand, I was wowed by how well your gelding healed. Aren't they amazing? Of course, you had something to do with it too!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 848
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan, sounds like we're all beginning to roll!

I have a broadmare assigned to me by the college, so I'll be doing foal watch soon. She is due late Feb. to mid-March, but was pasture bred, so that is estimates. I'm sure going to use calcium strip tests and I'm thinking temperature too.

I now have two open broodmares. I'm getting them both AI'd within the next month or so. I just made a partial trade of my little guy, Poco,for this second broodmare. Nice mare, but sniff, I'll miss my baby boy. He has an excellent home though, at the University that bred him.

I found out that one of my mare's four year old colts just sold for $10,000. That is with training, but I'm breeding her back to the same stallion, Heart Of A Fox. Don't know who I'm breeding the other mare to.

Well, May Our 2009 Foaling Season Bring Nothing But The Best, For Our Mares, Their Foals And Their DUHH Inflicted Owners/Managers. Eh?

Lynn Bellus
Neonate
Username: Lorilynfarms

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there no thread for this year's mare watching? I'm in the middle of DUHH and see no one out there in the same situation! What happened to all the mare watching?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT'S UNDER FOAL WATCH 2009...POSSIBLY PART 2 OR 3

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/board/messages/32196/32196.html?1235364804

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US