SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare who is going to foal in Dec..?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mare who is going to foal in Dec..? « Previous Next »

Sherri Baker
Neonate
Username: Sherrib

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just started at this farm and this mare was one of the training horses, so i have been ridding her and she started to get bigger and out of breath more and so I knew there was some thing wrong, so I took her in to the vet, and sure enough what i though was true in foal. SO we are at approximately 9 months, and the mare Peaches is 4 years old and this is obviously an accident on the part of the old barn manager but accidents happen, so my problem is just needing advice on young maiden mares and winter babies we are in central northern British Columbia and it gets easily 20 below for weeks at a time, thankfully we do have a barn and it has radiant heat above the stall, but still what should I be prepared for with a winter baby... I have not foaled anyone out in YEARS so any advice is great. Thanks

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well Im way warmer than you but I lived in cold climates for a long time. I have 2 mares due this year one in NOv and one in Dec. Mine will foal in the shed and then be turned out to pasture at about 2wks. In your case Id invest in some foal blankets put them on for turn out only then gradually aclimate them to the colder temps by letting them out briefly during the heat of the day

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 05:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have cameras so you can foal watch? Or what is that thing called; when they lay down and it signals the foal watcher?

I am basically saying that I think it would be absolutely imperative that someone be there when she goes into labor. But that is very basic stuff. Just thought I'd throw it in.

I'd also try to have some heated blankets on hand when the time is near. I'm sure other people will offer good advice. Keep us posted. We're bored here with few foals on the way this time of year.

Sherri Baker
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys, I started looking for foal blankets and that is a good idea about climatizing, and the heating blanket, way better than a heating pad which has so much less space, ahh see I needed this forum so terribly, and I am going to be a wreck, I am going to try to sleep in the barn here with her, but a camera would be awesome, I live seven minutes drive away from the farm so sleeping in the barn is going to be a must when she looks impending which could be like forever before she actually foals... LOL oh boy,
Thanks again
this is Peaches before she decided to let us know she was preggers well now that I know she looks preggers alright.. hindsight and all
http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=223541707/PictureID=5625919946/a=1386 97615_138697615/t_=138697615

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is a pretty mare Id sleep in the barn 365 days a year if I could but I cant the husband wouldnt think to much of it and my barn is more of a shed than a barn it serves its purpose here. The foal alert system may be a great thing to have but if you are going to sleep there any how it might not be worth the money they arent super cheap.
On this board you will not be a wreck you will simply suffer from varous extremes of DUHH!! lol

Sherri Baker
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning she has an edema, normal temp and definately pitting, four inches in front of her teats and her teats are hard too, she gets to go out in the pasture all day and spends the night in her stall, the stall is a 12x12 at least, hummm, should I be hand walking her too? Do you think pregnant mares pee more like humans? man the neurosis starts already what is it that turns a normal person into a wreck when their mare is going to foal... LOL

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get a simple baby monitor and it works quite well. Put it where you can catch as much as possible of her movements. I found an outdoor one for about a hundred dollors. It swivels to give different angles. But a baby monitor is only about $35.00. It was nice to roll over in bed, peek at it and go back to sleep.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheri if she is moving around at pasture i wouldnt worry to much about hand walking but if she tends to just stand a lot id walk her or lunge her.
I dont think normal people would put themselves thru this so we are obviously all off before foal watch even begins lol

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUHH will certainly be added to the mental health disorder manual soon!

Sherri Baker
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey so I started to walk her even though she does move around her pasture quite a bit, and so I walk her up this gradual hill every day and back down to her paddock which is a good size, but it is getting to be below 0 every night now with hard frost, so we keep her in her stall (12x12) at night ANYWAY her legs are swelling now too, is this common, I did read it can happen in the one book but the right leg swells the most and her teats are hard but I massage them and by the afternoon the legs are normal and the teats are less swollen too but by morning it is bad again,... not sure what to do, leave her out in the cold so she does not swell or keep her in a protect against her possibly foaling outdoors.....
advice would be great
Thanks guys!!!!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would keep her turned out as long as foaling isnt immenent if shes used to the cold. Can you leave her stall door open so she can get in if she wants to? Swelling is normal but still an uncomfortable pain in the arse. Is someone available to walk her at night. Or you could leave her out till late night 12 am -1am then lock her up till morning. Im a night owl so this is usually what I do. I do realize its not everyones cup of tea.

Sherri Baker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be a great idea, I live like 10 minutes drive from the ranch, maybe yah your right I will leave her out until she looks close we have a guesstimate for December hopefully that was what the vet figured when she palpated her... but no other idea. The last barn manager has not returned my emails as to when Peaches might have been bred, she just looks so close already.... ahhh DUHHHHH

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a maiden you will be in DUHH for a while im sure lol It would be great tho if the foal was born jan 1st

Sherri Baker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL yes if the DUHHH is already starting and watching what the other girls go through with maidens I am in for a whole lot of long winter, OH I am so hoping it will be a january foal, that would be fantastic, not to many paints are born in january around here anyway...
BTW Jenni I took your advice and left Peaches out last night and she is much less swollen and looks like she spent most of the night outside grazing. So I guess just keeping her out until it is really cold outside is going to be the new plan. thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im glad she is feeling better. Ill be on foal watch with ya so you wont be alone if that makes ya feel better

Sherri Baker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice and yes it is a huge relief to know that there will be some other eyes looking out for Peaches, she is such an awesome little mare.. this ranch has had some really awful luck with foals, they seem to have lots of aborted and still born foals, they only had 2 babies this year and one did not have the immune transfer and was really sick and the other a beautiful black and white paint filly was still born, I was just coming to look at working here when she was born. SO it makes me think there is somthing wrong with the water or fescue toxicosis or somthing that is preventing them from having healthy babies, I know that they have not had all great managers but still.. So I am going to be really anxious about helping deliver a healthy foal.... so yes i am very thankful you will be doing foalwatch with me...

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is very interesting but I have a feeling that their luck is about to change with you managing it now. Mares are better left out to pasture with nothing than left in the hands of ignorant fools no matter how nice the facility is.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherri feel free to email me if you want bugrace2000@yahoo.com even if you just need someone to keep you up while on foal watch im a night owl and will be up any way from Nov 1st to who knows when lol

Sherri Baker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much Jenni, I am so glad that I found this site and I feel so much better having you guys to ask things because the vets are so busy that they forget for us it is personal and our worries are not always unfounded... it is so much better to be able to worry with some one else....
Thanks so much again, I really appreciate your help.and I will be needing that address I am sure! lol

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all worry over them like they are children so you'll fit right in lol Icould use the chat as well so look forward to hearing from you

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherri, it will be fun waiting for a foal this time of year, although by the time it is born, I guess there will be more due then. There is a lot to learn about foaling and you are at the right place.

I would mainly be concerned about the actual foaling time, due to the cold you mentioned and the fact she is a maiden.

I'm sorry the place is losing so many foals. What a shame. Hope you are able to figure it out for them and that they will correct the problem.

Anyway, if you take the time, there is a LOT of info. on this site and people are so willing to help. It's been great.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well I sold my mare due in NOV but still have the mare due in Dec. Hubby decided he doesnt want to sell her till after she foals so ill definately be on dec foal watch

Sherri Baker
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastic we will be doing a watch togethter!!!
I am amazed by the amount of compiled info here, I am so thankful for it, and will be more and more as time gets closer!
her legs are not swelling as much and she is going in and out of her stall and she mainly still stays in the stall at night still so that is good, maybe it was just coming out of training and directly into a non working enviroment down at the breeding barns..?
She is doing well and getting so BIG!!! poor littl mare

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US