SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Took Mira in for surgery

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Took Mira in for surgery « Previous Next »

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you that remember us and our foal loss & complications after foaling well we have given Mira 4 months and she has healed all she was going to and she was still having problems with her urine flow and pooling urine.

So we took her to the state hospital the surgeon called they preformed the surgery wednesday, he said it took him 3 hours.

There was a little more distance to go to reach the planned point for the urethra extension than originally thought and of course the compounding factor was the surrounding scar tissue which did not give good elastic tissue to work with, but he is at least hopeful if it is not as highly successful as planned that it will at least have reduced the urine pooling considerably enough to not be a issue with secondary problems, and hopefully the urine flow will be improved enough to just keep it off her body.

So now after 8 months of maternity leave and only 2 rides on her to get her started back up, she is back off trail duty for at least a month, then they want her to be checked and re-evaluated again, so we will not know for at least a month how it went.

They will call daily with progress reports and let us know when to pick her up, maybe saturday or sunday.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo Angela~ Thank you so much for the update on your mare. I have thought of you often. I am so glad that she came through the surgery okay. What a long haul you have been through. I will pray for complete healing and a good weahter so you can enjoy your beloved mare again very soon. How did that litter of pups turn out? I am sure they were darling!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 745
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo Angela: Wishing your mare the best of recoveries. Sounds like she's in excellent hands. I get to find out soon if my mare gets somewhat of the same surgery due to her urinary tract tears during foaling this spring. Keep us posted, I would love to hear how she does.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 738
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My goodness. Why am I surprised that mares need this sort of surgery due to deliveries? Of course they might, after having pushed out these big foals! Well, I don't think I'll ever quit learning on this board!

Having said that, I'm really glad all is looking good for Mira. I vagely recall your post about what happened. I'm glad there is likely to be a positive ending for her. Please let us know how she does and I am sending good healing vibes her way.

Did the vet say anything about future pregnancies?

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAngela, it'll be hard to wait a whole month to find out how she'll recover from the surgery. You've been through so much, I pray this will work for her.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mares story was on the april 4,08 of the original birth announcments only thread.

Well we picked her up sunday and they were very
excited with her progress, they saw her urinate and they said it had a nice arc to the flow going away from the body, so they are thinking it was a success, but it could possibley break down before it heals, so we will have to see.

On the other hand my husband and I did a very stupid thing !! when we brought her home, we were told she could go in a small paddock or stay in her stall, it gets to hot in her stall, so we let her out in the paddock,(which is not small enough) she was fine for about 15 minutes and the geldings in the lower pasture went out of her sight, so she kinda did about three 50 ft passes racking before we caught her and brought the geldings up.

Sooo the vet said there was a possiablity that the little bit of running could have torn the stitches out and caused the surgery to come apart, so now we are not just anxious for the next month to come but kinda sick thinking how stupid that was.

So we have gave her the run of the hall of the barn and opened all 3 stalls, its a small barn, but she can see out a window or the hall doors and keep up with the geldings who we are putting in the paddock outside the barn .

So until I see her urinate we will be worried that we screwed up royally.

(Message edited by raknrydr on September 15, 2008)

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, As far as breeding her again they feel that she would have trouble delivering a foal because she had such a big one 120 lbs, she may always throw big babies.
Plus it would tear up the $2,500 surgery which we hope we have not already done.

Jan all the pups got nice farm homes with lots of land, one is going to be a goat herder and one may do agility, so I was pleased with there new families.http://thumb19.webshots.net/t/60/660/6/52/69/2104652690048868759nUlriv_th.jpg

Right now I am raising a baby squirrel that my female dog brought me, she was carrying it around in her mouth with just the tail hanging out, not a scar on it, I think since she had those pups recently she new it was some kind of baby.
It was blew out of its nest when all those storms from the hurricanes came threw, the next morning I found a dead litter mate under a pine tree in the back yard, so the one the dog found she actually saved.
http://thumb19.webshots.net/t/71/71/4/42/2/2994442020048868759RisAAk_th.jpg
http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/40678/2803316710048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 740
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's kinda what I figured. So sorry for all you've had to go through. Are you able to use her for riding at least? Or will she retire to a pasture, to live out her days? I think it is comendable that you didn't have her put down, but are willing to pay for what has to be done. I guess we just never know what hand we (or our mares) will be dealt.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo Angela~I will be pulling for your mare's complete recovery...so do you find yourself just sitting there waiting for her to tinkle? I would! I am sure she just felt really good to be out....I am sure she will be fine. Heaven knows it is your turn to have some luck your way. Glad you placed the pups in good homes. Too cute! Like your newest baby....very cute :-)

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank goodness she will be 100% sound in every way except for future foalings, which if I had to make a choice the hand I was dealt is the one I would have chose for us.

I just started riding her again 2 weekend riding trips and now she is back off duty, but I have a young gelding I bought the weekend she was bred, just for a spare, and boy am I glad we do have 3 horses now, because that would have been alot of down time.

yeah I thought about hooking the foaling camera back up and being on tinkle patrol now, LOL.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US