SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Who is Seeing the Signs that Their Mare is About to Foal Part 4?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Who is Seeing the Signs that Their Mare is About to Foal Part 4? « Previous Next »

Anney Daugherty
Weanling
Username: Winsmorefarm

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope everyone doesn't mind, but I started the new thread for this...
Hi Joanne, Have you checked your mare's milk, vulva, temp. any other changes? My mare's udder went up and down for awhile and then finally settled a little bit. By her last pic (I was trying to compare it to my mare as she was getting closer and I asked Jonathan to take a look), it looks like her flanks are full, but I'm not sure that my eye is as trained. Where is Jonathan??? He might have a better idea, especially with an updated pic. My mare Alexa finally delivered at 351 days with a colt.

Anney Daugherty
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 06:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi - How is your stallion doing (he was injured recently?) I hope that he is healing alright.
How are everyone's new foals doing?
Max is keeping himself busy. He is still healing from his July 4th "mystery" injury, and it is mostly healed, just waiting for hair to grow back on his leg so we are still keeping it wrapped - which he will let us do while he is laying down without any fuss. Yesterday, he managed to find one of the gates in his (and his mother's) pasture not secured and apparently pushed it open and went for a short walk. I wasn't home at the time, but hubby and kids were - they put him back in pasture and secured gate. Other than that his daily activities include, but are certainly NOT limited to: biting mom's ears, playing in water and mud, eating dirt, napping, harassing orange cone, teasing "auntie Giada" (letting her think that she can nuzzle him and then running back to mom), trying to get his "butt" scratched (whether it is on the bottom part of mom's belly or elsewhere), eating dirt, attempting to drag tarp around, trying to "catch" visiting chickens, kicking bouncy ball, sampling mom's hay and grain, trying to get halter off (when wearing it), running around and then trying to "jump" on mom, nursing of course and did I mention eating dirt? Max has quite the personality already and has started "talking" to me when he sees me (though I don't know if he's cursing me for having to mess with him OR saying hello). Hopefully it is a "hello". He seems to like water - on his legs and rear end so far, and likes being brushed (also likes biting brush). He will stand still for a short period of time and then starts to get a little cheeky with me. His keuring is on Aug. 6, so I am trying to get him prepped in a short amount of time. Haven't tried to braid him yet - not much to braid and still have to let him check out trailer.

Cheyenne Queen
Weanling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anney: Ace is doing fine and his activities include sleeping,jump on mom, sleeping, jump on other mom (LOL he follows my gelding around like mom), sleeping, walk in the shallows of pond, sleeping, chasing dogs, splashing nose around in water trough, sleeping, playing games with my gelding, getting mouse (my other mare as heard of in recent posts)in trouble, sleeping,oh and did i mention sleeping?he is halter leading now and i have started training him to pony off of mom sooooo he is doing well....

Joanne: Any news????

Joanne Umbrasas
Weanling
Username: Percheronpridefarm

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just left a message on the old thread but found the new one. Sorry no foal yet, that I know of. I am in Colorado, trying to have a good time, doing pretty good for the most part. NO CELL service at the cabin, Cindy is suppose to email me but nothing tonight I am going to call her. I will let you know if there is anything news.

Anney Daugherty
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those that are interested, here are some new pics of my colt Max at his keuring, as well as his Dam, Alexa and auntie, Giada. Enjoy!

Imilian du Winsmore (Max) pics: http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk320/winsmorefarm/Imilian%20du%20Winsmore/?a lbumview=slideshow
Alexa pics: http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk320/winsmorefarm/Dorina%20H/?albumview=slid eshow
Giada pics: http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk320/winsmorefarm/Giada/?albumview=slideshow

Cheyenne Queen
Weanling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow look at him! he was so little when he was born.......is he just kinda little or was ace big when he was born?????? i always thought he might be a big one but in comparison you would think he was a mutant baby compared to how little max was but wow, anney he is so cute and what great conformation you are one lucky girl i mean he is a such a cutie

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is so beautiful Anney! congratulations!. And great pictures too, I can never get a good one.
You sayd you wanted to see my foal, here he is at 9 months

[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/DSC03613.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/DSC03611.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/DSC03615.jpg[/IMG]
This is him on his first day out with my mare. She is the daughter of a son of Cor the la Bryere (Cortez II) and the baby´s father is a son of Calido.

[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/arasumi%202/calfuyaresu mi.jpg[/IMG]

Anney Daugherty
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cheyenne and Mariana for the compliments.

I think Max was somewhat little (compared to the way his mom is), but has filled out some and grown quite a bit since then. I was expecting some huge baby (by the way Alexa was looking), but I know that she had not been bred for awhile, so perhaps her uterus was stretched as far as it was going to go for this pregnancy. She will be re-bred early next spring, but not sure to who yet. My friend (who owns the stallions that I breed to) will be breeding her.

He was the youngest at the Keuring, so he could not compete directly with the older colts, but they really liked his topline and his movement. He is a little "clubby" in his front feet, so we have to get the farrier out every other week to take a little off his heels, but he should be alright with that. He was the most well behaved at the Keuring. Giada was a bit full of herself and was talking to a handsome stallion that was being presented - Contester II. Alexa was being a bit "pushy" - I think just protecting her baby. They were able to go out into a pasture afterwards with green grass! Max didn't know what it was, but then he found a patch of dirt, he felt right at home and started eating it (of course).

Giada won the BWP Two-Year Old Futurity, but not sure if she is National Champion yet, as we were the first stop on the tour. She was last year (U.S. Champion Yearling) and U.S. Reserve Champion Filly the year that she was born. Max was scored and then invited back next year as a stallion prospect.

Mariana, your colt is very cute. Nice bloodlines too. How old is he now - weanling? It looks like it is winter where you are at. I love when they are fuzzy. Really like the halter too!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don´t know about horses but I read somewhere that human babies´ sizes are more related to maternal hormones than to parents size or even their future size, so maybe that is true for horses too...? Giada is gorgeous, is she yours too?.
Yes is winter here and he is outside day and night, so he is very fuzzy. I weaned him at 8 months and he will be ten months soon. He was inspected the day before yesterday, they complimented his manners and I was told he could be a stallion prospect, I was so proud of myself!. I am not a breeder and did not grow up around horses, - 6 yrs ago, the first time I bathed my mare I saw her fetlock, thougth she had some kind of injury and called the vet!!!-so I feel quit proud of myself and of him of coarse!!

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anney- I was at that Keuring!

Your mare is gorgeous, I loved her blue eye. And your colt is very cute :-)

Anney Daugherty
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana, I believe this is true. Mare lines and mares are so important and I believe that you really get more of a copy of the mare than anything. However, it's funny sometimes when watching the stallion videos and how they put so much emphasis on the progeny of the stallions, but sometimes leave out the mare's information. Congratulations on your colt. Can't wait to see how he progresses. Giada is mine! My first "ultimate dream horse". She is my once in a lifetime horse and sometimes I have to pinch myself (especially when I'm watching her) to make sure that this is REAL. Sorry, but sometimes I get over "giddy" about her.

Hi Samantha. My apologies if I did not come over to say hello. It was a long day already for me, not including the day before. My daughter and my friend were there helping me and I still felt like I had my hands full. Thanks for the compliments.

Did you have a horse there? I wish I could have seen more of the stallion and whoever else was there. There seem to be not as many people and horses there this year as there was last year.

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol, np, I didn't even know you were going to be there. I want to present my Selle Francais stallion propsect to them as a three year old next year, and just decided to go and have a look :-)

Giada was stunning. Her head was absoultly to die for, WOW! I know how inspections are, lol. Who was the sire of the colt?

Anney Daugherty
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again, Samantha. Tell me more about your stallion prospect...bloodlines, and pictures, etc.?

My colt is by Aslan, who stands at Jump Start Farm (www.jumpstartfarm.com). Here are a few pics of him that I've taken (I have more somewhere): http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk320/winsmorefarm/JSF%20-%20Aslan/?albumview =slideshow

Aslan is a full brother to Balta'Czar (the flagship stallion at Jump Start Farm) and is also a half brother to Giada (they share the same dam). He has wonderful movement and can jump too! I believe that he is the youngest stallion at JSF and he will be showing soon in FL - can't wait to see how he does.

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My stallion prospect is by Bas Blanc, out of a Selle Francais approved Thoroughbred mare. He was Bas Blanc's first foal, and he has some of the more rare, but saught after lines in Selle Francais breeding. He's been freejumped a couple times, and is showing a lot of promise. I'm going to keep in intact until he is 3, then re-evaluate him. He is finally starting to look like a horse, he was going through a very awkward stage recently.

Here is his page on my site:
http://www.secretambitionstables.com/sirbasblanc.htm

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh Anney I understand what you mean by feeling this way for owning Giada, Congrats! she is beautiful, and I love her colour!.
Samantha I really like your stallion, hope you can get him approved.

Anney Daugherty
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha - very nice stallion. He looks pretty correct, nice movement and he seems to have some nice scope in in his jump too. I hope that they approve him as I believe he would be a very nice addition to BWP. Hopefully Max (my colt) will follow in those footsteps. We are planning on moving Max next spring to my friend's farm to attend "stallion school", as they prep stallion prospects and although I have worked with stallions before (older breeding stallions), I have never prepared one before and want to make sure that it is done correctly - especially for my first one.

Thanks again Mariana.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anney, just courious, what do they theach stallions prospects different from what they teach any other colt?

Anney Daugherty
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mariana,
From what I understand there are somethings that are different with being a "stallion" than a gelding. Besides general ground manners, which I have already started on, bathing, grooming, farrier standing, etc., they emphasize on learning how to present for cleaning, breeding, etc. and knowing when it is working vs. breeding time. Their stallions have very good manners when they are working, are at shows, etc. - even when around mares. Many people do not realize that they are stallions at first. They also help prepare for stallion approvals, which for Max we have awhile to go, but I believe that they incorporate everything into a complete "package". They have more information on their website, which might help: www.jumpstartfarm.com

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Anney and Mariana :-)

He's such a good boy, and I think he has some interesting bloodlines to offer.

I have raised Triscuit (Sir Bas Blanc) with a zero tolerance policy. I knew him from day one, and purchased him at 4 months old. I bought him in hopes of keeping him a stallion, so he always must have his attention on the person handling him. His manners must be good at all times. I think that if he get's liscensed ISR/OLD, I'm going to wait and take the penilty for sending him as a mature 5 year old, rather than sending him as an imature 3 year old.

I plan on sending my boy to a very well respected Dressage trainer in our area :-) He is an amazing rider, and is very good with young stallions.

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock
Username: Amanda

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys,
I ahve a QH mare that we bought this spring in foal to a donkey!Seller said that mare was checked in foal, so we never had her checked. We could see from looking at her the she was pregers. The mare is 14.1 hands and the jack is 14 hands. The mare is huge I have bred my TB mares and had big warmblood babies but this mare far at ways them and is much wider than they ever were.
Vet was out yesterday and looked at Indy and said he doesnt know why she is so large and that we will have to see what she foals... So there is some thought that she maybe having twins!!! Not what I want to worry about. Well today Indy doesnt want to eat she ate some of her grain and thats it so far. She looks like she could foal any time tail head is relaxed and as some waxing. We werent given a breeding date just that she was due some time this month.... Anyone have any thoughts?
I should add this is a Maiden mare who is 18.
Sorry for being so long and strung out....

(Message edited by amanda on August 27, 2008)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Amanda~Talk about a surprise :-) Sounds like you are in for one :-) At least she has held out till the month they thought she would foal. Has she V'd out at all or is she still all wide? I would think she has some more time if she has not dropped yet and is waxed but no milk. Can't wait to see what you get!

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is milk and she has some wax but not much. She is very wide and getting wider by the day. Will try and take some pictures of her today to share.

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pictures of Indy taken today. some of the wideness is gone. I added a pic of the donkey that she is bred to.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/100_2314.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/100_2315.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/100_2316.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/untitled4.jpg

(Message edited by amanda on August 28, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda: I can't wait to see a cute mule baby! I'm a sucker for them. I have always wanted to own a mule but I have yet to ever have one! Someday!!! She looks pretty prego to me!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, looks like you'll soon have a new baby to show off to all of us!

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well she foaled the other day and had twins! One didnt make it. but the other foal is doing great. I will take some more pictures this afternoon to share.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/100_1311.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/100_1314.jpg

Amanda

Jane Whritenour
Weanling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. What a cutie. I'm sorry for the loss but glad you have one. Hope mom & baby are doing well Is it a girl or boy?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW Amanda~Congrats on the surviving foal and may I say what a darling foal! Filly or Colt? I guess the twins explains her hugeness. So lucky that one survived...too cute for words!

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a boy the kids named him Ernie. They wish the other had made it so they could have Burt too!! lol Both mom and baby are doing great. My vet said he would never guess by looking at him that he was one of a twin. Very healthy boy!!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats Amanda

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 737
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda: He is soooo adorable!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie...too cute:-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, ooooooohhhhhhhhh so sad about the lost one, but delighted that the other survived, as I understand that is rare in twins.

So, something sure went right and I am tickled pink, I mean blue, for you, that you have Ernie!
Okay, it's corny, but I'm out of practice!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone! I see that some of you haven't made it out of the land of DUHH yet. If anyone needs some cheering up our foaling list for 2009 has 173 mares on it at the moment. Anyone want to trade. Special this week 173 for 1 or 2.

I would ask if Bobbi and CJSkip are staying out of trouble, but we all the know the answer! Hopefully now that summer is almost over I will have time to go back and read all the post I have missed.

Well back to work!

(Message edited by kynwatch on September 17, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan! "Jumpin up and slappin your hand"!!!! Welcome back from vacation! I can't get 3 crappin' mares bred and you and Tim are rackin' up numbers like "173"...haha! My goal this year: Hold all mares off until we had our last foal in June and then re-breed everyone back so that I would have just one huge DUHH session within 30 days next year. Lets just say nature does NOT cooperate with my man-made plans! Blossom bred (through the fence evidently) sometime in late April/Early May, we think, so I now have another year of "I have no idea when she's due" foal for 2009. Lena (foaled June) bred back during foal heat so we'll have another June baby next year with her. And Echo...ummm...she's not bred yet. Having breeding problems with her and not sure what we are going to do about that yet.
I've got three cows that should have had calves two weeks ago...and I'm still waiting....geeezzzz...can ANYBODY cooperate here?!?!?! LOL!

Down to 3 hogs (from 14...lol) but hey, everybody's got bacon in the fridge now. LOL! Funny story: My husband and his friends tried loading up hogs for market. Although he helps me load up the feeders and the hogs know him well, he's not the one who "messes" with them. So after 4.5 hours and only one hog loaded, he called me at home (I had been out of town to Kansas City and had just gotten home!) and says, "Come help get these *#^% pigs loaded." He just doesn't understand how 92 pounds of human girl and a bag of Lays potato chips can get 10 pigs loaded up in about 20 minutes. I am truly amazing! LOL!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vacation???? What is that? Nope I haven't been on vacation. Started a side business building stadium jumps, mowing, roofing, and coming soon building a run in shed. Boy I need a break!

Good luck on the cows!

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get back to work Jon

I'll probably be out for a few days, I buggered-up the ankle pretty good.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make me Gimpy!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: Mare decided she didn't want you "back there" ???? Hahahaha! Hope your ankle heals up quickly. My GiMooseraffe was having an "out of body" sleeping moment and my daughter walked up on him and as we say here in MO, "scart 'im", little hooves leave really pretty purple, green, black, yellow bruises on a thigh for a pretty good length of time. LOL!

Jonathan: "stadium jumps"...what??? you working for Evil Kneivel's family now??? What the???
Mowing, roofing...ummmm...you missed my house! Heck if that's all you were going to do this summer I would have sent for you and Amy LONG ago! We just got the basement poured on our new house last week, beams and framing material is set to arrive next week...if you're bored...take I-70 west until you get to I-55, then....hahahaha

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 745
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi-you are just too funny-and smart!!!!!! Potato chips indeed! I'm going to remember that one!

What Jonathan? What trouble? HaHa. Just scrambling to figure out what to do with no foal watch scheduled yet for this season.

Soooooo I'm thinking-Jonathan and Tim get to have most of the fun with their multiple mommies due, so I'm looking around my neighborhood for an apprenticeship. One of my horse classes involves lots of trips to horse ranches. One place foals about 8 foals per season and is 5 minutes from my house. Hummm.

Tim, hope your ankle gets better soon. Ouch! At least it ain't foaling season, or would that be a blessing in disguise?

jessica turnbull
Neonate
Username: Jessica_t

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to intrude on the family reunion everyone. I got this 22 yr ol mare 9 months ago. Came from pasture with stallion. Now has milk. Gained a little weight over the summer BUT doesn't look pregnant to me. What do you think? Never came into heat this summer. What is the chance she could foal this winter?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica

Only one way to know for sure. One Vet and one palp sleeve. If you got her 9 months ago she may not wait until winter.

Bobbi,

I'm not Evel Kneivel, just trying to pay the feed bills. Octagonal poles cost $14 dollars to make and take 5 to 10 minutes. One set of schooling standards cost $30 for supplies and and 40 minutes or so to make, sell for $75. Deluxe standards same as schooling but sell for $90. Roll top $100 in supplies and 1.5 to 2 hours, sell for $230. Not a bad side business.

P.S.

The only person who gets free labor is Aimee and I have to sleep sometimes. I don't know why she keeps that picture of Lorena Bobbit hanging over our bed!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 781
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: Wow...schooling jumps??? So...can I place an order??? Seriously, I need a few of those and I'm willing to pay for them at your selling price. (I'll pick them up when I come down on vacation for an "internship" at the foaling barn...you invited me...remember??? Hahaha! Kentucky's just around the corner from me you know.)

Aimee gets "free labor"??? I'd like to know how she does that?!? Must be the Lorena Bobbit thing...my husband gives me free labor but its really not free...I usually find out AFTER he does me the favor what he wants and it usually entails doing less than desireable things with one of his cows! ROFL! Hey! Wait a minute...that doesn't sound too good does it!

Jessica: I'm thinking you won't have to worry about the winter either. Can you post up a picture on Photobucket and we'll take a look at her. If she's been with a stallion and hasn't been in heat...you might be getting the wee one before the end of the year as Jonathan mentioned!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOBBI....I AM SHOCKED!!!!LOL (you didn't really strike me as that type.....but i guess it takes all kinds) heehee!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Hahaha...I was going to clarify my statement with "favors that involve plastic gloves and dark places" but I'm afraid that didn't sound any better...I think my battleship was sunk before it ever set sail on that response! ROFL!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 925
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, as a matter of fact, it's probably best you left that out....although now....we all know it was supposed to be there...hmmmm....

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I've missed this place.

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow y'all are on here a lot! The vet came today... wearing a BIG plastic glove. That was scary. She tried to do an ultrasound. That was funny. Thinks she IS pregnant. Comin back in two weeks with another vet. To get a better idea when she's due? My husband has a camera phone I'll try to use it this weekend to post pictures. I'm a new horse owner with no experience. Obviously! Or I would have known she was pregnant LONG before now! Kinda funny (I got her for free) and she's worth a million bucks! I love her.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 930
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you Jessica, excited to hear it.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica: BIG gloves are essential...LOL. Little gloves have the tendancy not to "make the trip back out" real well! A new horse owner, huh? Well, who would like to step up and explain DUHH to this poor girl before she finds herself right smack in the middle of it?!?! All I'm saying Jessica is...we'll be right here with you through it all...laughing WITH you because we live it EVERY year, experienced or not!

Diana: Well, now, you didn't ACTUALLY think that I would NOT tell on myself did you?!?!

Tim: We've missed you as well! See, our sense of humor is still here primed and ready as always!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JESSICA: HAHAHAHAHA!!! Welcome to the looney bin!

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan and Bobbi, you're right before the end of the year...OMG! I need to move her up to the barn this weekend. She's in pasture now.
Her milk has turned from watery to white. I've read that it can change a lot before the wax beads appear? I've been checking her twice a day I just haven't been able to bring myself to tasting it. Supposedly the milk will get sweeter when they are in their last day. Is that true? Who's tried it? Anyone... Anyone...

Diana... crazy is GOOD! Looney is even better!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 943
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she's white already, I'd be watching her like a hawk!

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana! Thanks... I think I'll move her today so she can have a stall and bedding. Straw or paper? I've read not shavings.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a fan of the straw....as long as it's relatively dust free. I've seen some straw here in OK that makes me prefer large chip shavings, even though they are not the ideal choice.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jessica: I'm with Diana...I'd start putting her on foal watch. I agree straw if you can get nice clean straw.

Drinking milk???? Hahahaha! Uh, no thanks for me!

And, as you will soon find out, tasting milk won't help you narrow down when that baby is going to arrive, these mares & foals have a mind of their own and just when you least expect it, they arrive (usually while you just "run to town" for a quick errand...LOL). Sometimes they wax, sometimes they don't, sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't, some mares show obvious signs, some mares don't. Jonathan & Tim are the experts on the "when are they going to foal" but they keep incredibly records on their mares over the years and...they perform these foaling duties in mass quanitites giving them scads of experience in "the signs"...they are also experts in the areas of middle of the night card games and late night pizza delivery runs...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica, welcome. I was a new horse owner last Feb. Owned horses as a kid, eons ago. Never had a pregnant mare until then. What a joy ride! Yahoo!!!!!

Well, guess I'll have to explain DUHH to ya. It is a term Tim coined and stands for: "Dysfunctional Undelivered Horse Handler's Syndrome." It absolutely fits because these mares never read a manual-or, they read it and do everything different just to throw us foal watchers off so they can go sneak off while we think it is safe to sleep for an hour or two!

My advice-go back to January or earlier and READ-READ-READ!!!! You'll need to know so much. Of course, the vet probably told you a lot, although mine didn't, come to think of it.

Look for Tim's posts and there will be information and it will also lead you to others' comments. Lots of very experienced horse people here. Nothing like having fifteen or so people, all foal watching at the same time. Anyway, Tim told me to find out about IgG and a number of other things. That set things in motion for me to learn all I could and thank-goodness for that as I would probably have had a dead foal within a day or so, if I had not.

And Jos has a lot of information as well. He usually weights in on the more complicated stuff. We've let him know many times how much we appreciate this board. What a treasure!

At any rate, I wish you the best and let us know how it goes. Feel free to contact this board as often as you need to and someone will respond. What fun-a new baby this time of year! Let the DUHH begin!

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cjskip.. Bobbi.. and Diana I appreciate you taking the time to send an encouraging word.
I need to go back to January and start reading! If I am more prepared then it won't be so scary.
I'll let y'all know if there is any change.

(I do have DUHH) only with a few more symptoms!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 952
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey jessica, there is also a book called Blessed Are the Broodmares....it is very informative, and a great read. You can probably get it at any bookstore.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica,

Here is a link to a thread that discusses some foaling preperations.

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/board/messages/2813/31500.html?1207268800

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica

It tastes kind of like condensed milk when she is really close. It is also a good substitute for creamer if you run out on foal watch! Good luck and be thankful it's not 20 degrees outside and raining.

Tim

Can we start foaling out in late summer and early fall? I'm starting to get cold in my old age!

Bobbi

I thought there where laws against that even in Missouri!?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On that same thread, Tim made reference to "overdoing" the foaling kit....and maxing out your credit cards, & sitting alone in the dark staring at your mare while eating a hot pocket....I thought I'd die laughing....I don't remember reading that last year ! LOL

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan.... How do you know that it isn't 20 degrees and raining where I live? And in regards to the milk that doesn't sound too bad. (maybe I'll try it)

Tim... Thank you, that was very informative... now I know to call the vet. My mare will know that I'm freakin out and that could complicate things.

Diana... All I need is some hot pockets and I'm there girl! HOW FUNNY!!!!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica, i know the feeling! LOL

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica,

It can't be that bad in Colorado yet. Can it?!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 961
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

STALKER! STALKER! LOL Jessica, jonathan's watching you! heehee....kidding. I was just in Colorado Elk hunting....and it was COLD at night....it very well could be 20 and raining! LOL

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: Not where I live...it makes Deliverance look like a Rated G movie!

Diana: Tim and Jonathan are quite the comedians...I still think they need to put on a DUHH conference. Best standup entertainment in the world!

jessica: Now for fashion, you can NOT be an official DUHH member unless you dress appropriately for the occassion. Depending on the weather in your area, you must rifle through your available clothing and find the most outrageous and obnoxious combination of fluffy slippers, black-light green jammy bottoms, pepto bismol pink long underwear shirt, wooly purple stocking cap, and orange gloves for early morning foal watch inspections! THAT with a magnifying glass in your right hand staring at your horses, what is that Diana, "Hoo Ha" will send the neighbors right over the edge! Just watch out for the guys in their little white coats that will be patiently waiting to take you away...

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're ALL stalking each other now! LOL

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 962
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could have it at my house, I still haven't had that house warming party yet at the new place!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 809
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: You're on! My bags are packed.

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan, I'm a "Plainswoman" it is still so beautiful here. 85 and sunny with cool nights, perfect sleeping weather after a hard day at work. We farm our own land and do custom. It's dry though not much will grow. Desert like conditions require irrigation systems. (And a little more knowledge) Most people do wheat. (Good dry weather crop) We do feeds considering the cost here for a small square of alfalfa is $12 you can make good money.

Diana, Elk hunting? (you are awesome!) We have all sorts of wildlife here I would love to have hanging on the wall.... did you get one?
You havin a party?

Bobbi, I'll dress like a moron, I don't have any neighbors to see me. So I'll take a picture for ya. Now much fazes me. I'll have to dig through my teenage daughter's closet. She won't mind.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 965
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey jessica, spent 7 showerless days in the mountains above gunnison, and saw 8 bears in the wild, but shot no elk!!! That's a lot of time and money to invest for nothing....but the trip was of a lifetime. I enjoyed it completely. I'd sure like to get one of those antelopes y'all have there too!!!!

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana... what an experience! Seeing bears in the wild is so amazing. In some areas they have become unafraid of people. Getting into homes and such. And Occasionally mountain lions will try to eat your horses. There was an attack recently south of us. The horse was put down due to extensive injury.

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim... You haven't been on for a while... just wondering how your injury is... is it still making you LIMP?
HE HE HE

Jane Whritenour
Weanling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$12.00 for alfalfa- Thats a steal. its 19.00 here in SW GA. Its too hot to grow that here I'm told. Got to come from the west.

jessica turnbull
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, WOW! I guess we are in the right business... Now we need to get a semi to start sending truckloads out. We moved here from Arkansas too hot to grow certain things there too. What a bummer.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your concern Jessica.

The lamneness is bearable, but my wife thinks the swelling seems to be persistant.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 967
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, i can hardly stand it.....LOL

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim.... Don't be concerned my husband has the same symptoms. He told me it's very normal.

On the subject of swelling... my mair's "pooter" started to swell yesterday. Yeah! And she seems to be drinking more than usual. Hope that is normal.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 969
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um...i think around here the professional term is "hoo ha"....but anyway, yes the extra drinking is normal! LOL

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I am so excited I'm not going to be able to sleep any more. I don't even know what she was bred to. I could be havin a mule. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica

I am sorry I have to tell you this! I think you are going to fit in perfectly. Pooter, Hoo ha. I am just waiting until you start posting the equine porn.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 811
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are all too funny! Diana: I stole your "hoo ha" comment this weekend. Had my vet rolling! It'll be a new craze here now!

$12 for alfalfa...you're joking right???? OMG! I guess my $4.00 a bale is not too high then! Hahaha! I was appalled last year when people wanted $6.00 a bale for it. (Bobbi's counting her lucky stars that hay is plentiful here this year!)

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I know what you mean!! The hay is a lot better this year. The sad part for me is I have about 3 acres of pasture that is mostly alfalfa with no way to cut it and I am not putting my horses on it either,( my brother planted it for his Jersey cows but of course it waited to come up until now).

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 817
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily: I'd be sitting out at the edge of the field on a bucket crying if I had 3 acres of alfalfa for the cutting and it was still standing on stalks. LOL! It came up because we've had great summer weather here. Bummer Emily! I'm like you, we've got a lot better hay and plenty of it this year. We had all our hay bought and put up by July this year. Last year, we were still scrambling in November to get enough to feed everybody through the winter.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi!!!OMG....$4.00 a bale,ur kidding i payed $17.45 per bale of alfalfa,that realy stinks..

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeezzzz judy...wow...my teeth would fall plumb outta my head paying that much. Culture shock huh? I guess it depends on where you live as to what the market is...wow! We just paid $30 a bale for our 5 X 6 orchard grass/timothy round bales (that we put out in the pasture during the winter...we suppliment their daily feed with square bales of alfalfa). One round bale will last my three mares about 10-12 days. I couldn't even imagine paying $17.45 for alfalfa square bales...goodness...I go through 3 bales a day!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 803
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
Well the field did get cut this summer but the grass was so tall I didn't even see the alfalfa. But I am pretty sure there wasn't that much there then. Now it is starting to take over.
The fields did so well this year that 4 of my horses will probably be out on them until almost Christmas. It is still growing really well and then it is so thick that even once it stops they will have plenty to eat.

Judy,
Man there is no way I would be able to feed my horses if I was spending that much. I don't feed alfalfa anyway but I bet your grass hay must be pretty high as well.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbii and Emily,yes all hay is expensive here orchard grass is 23.00 a bale,bermuda is around 14.oo i have been buying a teff hay for 19.45 a bale nothing cheap around here so it is very hard feeding 3 at this time,cant waist a stem.

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan or whom ever else can answer this question. I have a 4 year old Holsteiner mare that we tried to breed AI when she was a 3 1/2 year old. She didn't take and since it was the end of the season, we didn't try again. Then the following spring of 2008 we cultured her and did a biospy and she had ecoli. We had flushed her three times and she came back clean 2 weeks later.
A week later we took the mare to a reproduction specialist and she cultured her again and this time she had Strep Zoo. We flushed her and she was clean, she was inseminated AI and checked not in foal. We inseminated again and again not pregnant. We recultured and she was dirty again, flushed again and insemintated a third time, again she came back open. Each time we used Oxytocin.

She is caslicked because she didn't have very good confirmation in her back end. She was a physically immature mare, but is looking much better now and her back end looks much better. She is filling out and looks more mature that last year at this time.

What do you think happened to this mare and what should we do next year? She is a very very nice mare and would love to have foals from her, but so far she's not cooperating. The vet thinks we should try a different stallion in 2009. The vet said she was very careful not to get her dirty and thinks the stallion may be the cause.

Is it normally difficult to get a maiden mare pregnant?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or ideas.
Thanks, Marilyn

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, My husband and I do custom bailing. Maybe you can have someone come out to do it and you can give them a percent of the bails. It is typical to give two for each one you keep. You can even bail it up after a freeze. It may stress your plants slightly and lower your yeild for next year BUT if your desperate it can be done. Just make sure the alfalfa has plenty of drying time. (as it takes longer to dry adequetly after a freeze and you want to make sure that is NOT overlooked or you'll end up with not only a fire hazard but moldy "cattle hay") Good Luck!

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily... It's great to have your horses out on pasture but you do know that even a little "green" alfalfa can kill some horses. Just writing you that out of concern. If you already know then just say DUHH! And tell me to shut up!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 804
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica,
Thanks, we did have the fields cut all ready by a friend. It is just that he isn't close so we really can't do a second cutting. Also I tend to stay away from alfalfa all together. They aren't out on the field that has all that alfalfa. I walked the fields they are on and didn't notice any. There could be some but it would be an extremely small amount. It was really after the fields were cut that it really started coming up in the one field.
Thanks for your concern. I know you mean well!!

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan...
Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit...
How did you know about my fetish?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica, I'm waiting to hear Jonathan's response to that one! HeHeHe!

And Jessica, the DUHH will be exciting and exhausting! It could be tonight, or the next, or the next or...How long can you go without sleep? LOL.

I must admit, I figured that sending you to read old posts would be helpful, but I have ulterior motive-I figured you could catch up a little with all us lunatics-how can I explain months of banter, mixed in with the serious? I think you'll like it here. Hope you get a gorgeous foal-but am glad you would be happy with a mule. Now there's a true horse lover, huh?

Marilyn, sorry you are having so much trouble getting your mare bred. How frustrating. Hopefully, someone will post an idea soon. Keep us updated, okay?

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn

This sounds like one for Jos, perhaps start a thread under the "Breeding Problem mares" topic.

I'll give it my best shot, however I am nobody's breeding expert. Most of my toil and trouble is spent dealing with the result of successful breeding, but here goes.

The persistant infections are likely due to the fact (If I read your post correctly) that she is a "windsucker. Not in the sense of a "cribber" but she has a recessed rectum. As you already know, this allows air(and bacteria) to enter the reproductive tract easily. Perhaps a more aggressive caslick will help a bit.

The Stallion? I would think that sperm count and motility would be recorded when inseminating a mare, so if the Vet "thinks" the stallion is a problem, maybe there is some evidence to back it up?

Maiden Mares can be a little more difficult to breed for a few reasons.

1. You don't know thier reproductive "habits" yet so managing them can involve a few question marks. With good vet. advice and ultrasounds though, these question marks can easily be negated.

2. Maidens can be pretty goofy if you are doing a live cover.

Neither one of these is really enough to explain why you are having the problems you are having since you are doing AI and have used a repo. specialist.

Good luck , and definately seek out advice from someone more qualified than me. I'm just a half-crazed foaling guy.

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip,
When you see a picture of my mare... you'll understand why I am about to tell you, you'd have to be a TRUE HORSE LOVER to take her home. She is a very old, unattractive, red roan appaloosa. When I got her she was so thin you could see ribs thru her bristly winter coat. My heart broke and I fell in love. We are still working on trust issues. She was afraid of me touching her face and always kept her distance. Now when I go outside she runs to the fence and calls for me to come to her. Little by little she is letting me into her heart. I just hope she is around for a long, long time.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok....if there is anyone out there who has ever set up their own barn cams online (without paying a hosting service) with Vista and Windows Media Encoder, I will gladly pay you to walk me thru the process....I am frustrated beyond all hope, and don't want to pay $20/month to marestare.

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana,
I can't even figure out how to download pictures. So I'm of no help BUT I look forward to watching you shovel S####!
And I'll volunteer to ask the question that everyone is thinking.... two words will sum it up.... Birthday suit?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you don't want that......and I'll be the first to admit it!
LOL

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 771
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica, what is your girl's name? It sounds like you are doing wonderful with her. May I make a suggestion or two?

Since she has trust issues, ask around for a very kind and patient vet and farrier. A female MAY be (but not necessarily) the best bet. Talk to them before hand and tell them you have little history with her, but she has trust issues. Careful selection may go a long way to continue that bond you are forming.

What a lucky girl to have you for a horsey Mom. God bless you and all the others who take in these older and neglected horses.

And I hope you can figure how how to download the pics! We will want to see your new baby. I'm lame with this stuff, but I was able to post a couple with the help of a friend with Photobucket.

Now I can't WAIT to hear about the foal!!!!!!

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cjskip!

My mair's name is Missy. Thank you for the guidance with her trust issues. I don't want a scary experience cause her to regress.

Her "pooter" is still puffy but her utter hasn't settled into a certain size yet. I read online that this may continue for up to 8 WEEKS! ARG! She is growing wider but her belly hasn't dropped down much.

Is it possible for the foal to press up on the spine about 3/4 the way down the back? Yesterday it appeared to do that. It looked like she had scoliosis!

According to pictures I've seen of other foaling mares... Missy seems to be carrying high and wide.
Is that possible? Do all mares carry different? Or could she look like this because she isn't full term yet?

I'm starting to go nutty staring at her. Every possible question is POPPING into my mind. I think I am going crazy.... I better go to the store and get some hot pockets.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot Pockets now, stronger stuff later! LOL!

A mare's belly tends to take on a V shape near the end. The flanks get hollowed out too. I don't know about the way your mare is carrying. If you can get a pic up, it would help, but I know how that goes.

Check out some of the articles on this web site. They might help.

I just had a thought though. What if she is a maiden? Wouldn't that be a trip! Not one I'd want to take, mind you. HaHa!

You'll do fine. She'll probably surprise you no matter what you do! Are you going to set up a camera? I did, after a month with no sleep. Let the fun begin! I'm sending good foaling vibes your way. What part of the country do you live in?

jessica turnbull
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cjskip, We are in Eastern Colorado on the high plains. The days here are still in the upper 70's to 80's. BUT cold in on the way soon. My mare is taking her time here. Her bottom is swelling again... I've heard that can happen a few times. I do know that she had a foal about four years ago thank GOODNESS! So, she has been thru-it before.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Jessica, that is good news (that she is not a maiden). I've personally never foaled more than one mare, and she was not a maiden, but I hear they can be more difficult to access and even foal.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Has the board been helpful in your finding ways to "predict," when she will foal? I about drove myself crazy trying to figure it all out! Then missed it! Although I did get there about five minutes after the birth.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 930
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim/Jonathan: Did you ever get your southern hemisphere mare foaled?

Has anyone heard? Did I miss it somewhere in my turmoil?

And, someone please stop me! I got a call last night from some track buddies in IL. They've got three TB mares they want me to come and look at. They'll give them to me for free...jeezzz...I need one like I need a hole in the head. They're between 6 and 15 years old. Another fallout of the bumm horse market.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Bobbi..there is no such thing as a "free" horse :-) The cost you emotional and finiancial the moment you claim them :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 933
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan: You are soooooo right! I know, I know...hahaha...like I need more heartache in my life!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) Bobbi you are good people :-)

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

No, not yet. She has a small bag and a big belly. Well that is about all. She will go soon though since Tim is on vacation next week.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 815
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan, LOL! Tim probably promised her extra portions of carrots as a bribe if she waits until he is on vacation!

Bobbi, I say, if they are of good breeding, sound and pretty, and if you have the space for them, go for it. You love TB's and they could give you some nice babies-However-I think you need to be able to turn away and say no thanks, to any of them, if they aren't great horses, as they will become very expensive pasture ornaments.

If they are good horses, then perhaps you could sell them later on or donate them to a good cause, if they do not meet your needs.

But then again-as Jan said, "there are no free horses." I know you'll do the right thing for you and your situation, and that is what is most important here. Good Luck. If you get them, post pics!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well everyone we had our first October foaling and Tim managed to miss it. We had a bay filly at 3:07 this morning. Mom and daughter are doing fine.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great news jonathan!!! congratulations

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 812
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is wonderful!!!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One update. The mare failed to produce any milk, but we have found a nursemare who will arrive tomorrow around noon. Well time for a bottle.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bottle of what Jonathan?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milk replacer and goats milk for her and something else for me!!!!

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Jonathan! We had an orphin foal this last summer and it's a ton of work. I hope your nursemare works out for you. Good luck!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: Congrats on your "south of the equator" baby! Share some of "bottle for me" with your friends! I could sure use it! LOL! If all else fails, hahaha, I've got a broodmare that is still lactating and will let ANYONE nurse off of her! (Grumbling under my breath...can't get babies weaned with the milk cow running around!)

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

The way you post sober I am starting to think you don't need any alcohol! You seem to be pretty wild as it is and I don't think we could handle a less than sober Bobbi.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 980
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: First time ever I went out of the gates...a pint of Yukon Jack...now THAT was interesting! I'm even funnier when I've totaled the tea a bit! Had a couple of margaritas at my mother & father-in-laws 50th wedding anniversary party...evidently I put on quite the stand-up comedian act. Was shopping in Wal-Mart about a month later and some stranger came up to me and wanted to know if I was "that funny girl at the Valle's anniversary party"...I stumbled and hee-hawed around and said, I have no idea what you're talking about! All I remember was going up the stairs and thinking, whew...I need to sit down before I fall down.

I've missed my calling...who knows, maybe I could have given Larry the Cable Guy a run for his money....Bobbi the DUHH Girl!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

Something even funnier. The Eventing farm I work at on the side got in a new boarder today, Yukon Jack. Have you sold any Eventing horses lately?

Kim Peavy/Blk&White Pinto Colt 6/16
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan/Tim....question and anyone else who may offer any advice. I weaned my foal Friday a week ago. Weaning went well and he's doing great. I have noticed however, when we feed him his grain (he gets 1 1/2 pounds twice day) and lots of grass....he eats really fast, yummy yummy....then all of a sudden, he like zones out...stands there (Like I do when I've had a big ole glass of wine) and basically looks like he's falling asleep....he'll rest his leg hang his head and just stand there for about 5 minutes...then he'll proceed to start eating again....is this something to worry about. I noticed when he nursed and got full, he had that same, I'm satisfied look. He doesn't look in pain or anything....just like awww...that was great...maybe he's eating too fast....just never seen anything like it. We do give them soaked down alfalfa cubes after they finish their grain and he loves them...and always eager to come and eat them....anyone ever experience this?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: OMG! LOL! Maybe someone I used to hang with at the track said..."Hey, I knew this girl once who drank a bunch of Yukon Jack and when she crossed the finish line...she looked just like that horse! Hey, that's a great name!" Giggle! (I remember that I was so scared and that when I finally opened my eyes, I had crossed the finish line already. I remember looking at the guy I was galloping with and saying, "How the hell did I get here?! I don't even remember anything past the clang of the gates opening!" Hahahahahaha!)

Kim: Hmmmm...I've not experienced that. Heck, my kids eat really slow (drives me insane sometimes) and then when they're finally finished they wander about looking to see if there's anymore or if someone left behind a few crumbles. If you can find some big rocks (or other similar heavy objects that are too big for him to get in his mounth) that he has to "push around" in his grain bucket in order to eat, it might help slow him down a bit. That's an interesting behavior. But, it may be nothing more than his "style".

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim its prob just his style but if your worried about it try putting enough water to cover the grain makes it kinda sloppy and slows down my older mare thatll choke. at first she kinda looked at me funny like i didnt ask for soup but then she went right at it.

Kim Peavy/Blk&White Pinto Colt 6/16
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestions...he seems to be slowing down some and hasn't gotten all "high" on his feed in a couple of days...so strange....I do give them some alfalfa cubes (soaked of course) after the grain and they seem to enjoy them more than the grain, so maybe he's rushing thru the grain cause he knows what is coming after that LOL....

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 987
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim: Maybe he's just a little piggy! LOL!

Jonathan: Hey! How's Tim's leg doing? Got another just "wanna know" question for you. Since you all deal in mass quantity, I'm just curious to see if there is any difference in growth factors between your early year foals and the later spring foals. I've always wondered if those Jan/Feb foals have a slower growth factor than let's say the Mar/Apr/May foals. Since the "nature factor" comes into play, I didn't know if there were any particular growth trends that may result of our human factor to have long yearlings. I've been comparing notes on my three foals growth comparing my early Apr foals to the early June foal...now, in the scientific world, there are too many factors that come into play such as genetics, etc, but I am interested in your thoughts. My June foal's growth is much more steady (and she's already as big as the boys) but I'm just wondering if that is because of increase in pasture grass available for her in June versus the lack of pasture available in early April foals. Just pondering on my own thoughts here during pre-DUHH-dom.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

Sorry it's been busy. Tim is almost back to full strength. So he is still not very useful or helpful.

On the growth question. I don't really know. All I know is that right now all of them are close to the same size. Except for the new baby of course, but she seems to have gained 50 pounds this week. I don't really see the foals again until I come out of the foaling barn around the middle of may. So by the time I see the january foals again they look huge! Maybe Tim can answer the question.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi ya all. Read Kim's post. I kind of chuckled. I could just see it! Ahhh.

Any ideas why a colt wouldn't like grain? Mine eats very little of it. I'm worried he will not get enough nutrients. I've tried two kinds. He does go for the alfalfa.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US