SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Jos i have a flushing question?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Jos i have a flushing question? « Previous Next »

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you have read about the problems that i had with bug on the july foal watch right? I was hoping that some one might have an awnser for me but no one did!!!

my vet ( not a very reputable one) told me that we couldnt flush the infection out becuase it would cause the uterine tear to be break threw! is this true? he called it "a small first degree laseration"
They proceded to tell me that in a week we could flush. about the time shes off the antibiotics. Would this still need to happen if she comes into foal heat? wont the heat "clean" her out like a period would for a person?

her milk production went way down. Is there anything i can give her now 6 days post foaling to bring her milk back in that wont hurt her situation? i cant get the foal to even gag down forumla. we even held him down and forced it but keeps spiting it all out!! little stinker!!!

im so upset with my vet if he would have perscribed us to give more antibiotics and to keep her cool i could have avoided a $900 vet bill. We had to ASK how much anti. he wasnt even going to put her on anything. he says "well about 25 cc once a day sould be fine". I called a different vet saterday moring before we took her in and they told me that she should have been on 30cc 2x a day and we sould have been watching her temp and keeping her cool, watching food and what not. OUR VET DIDNT TELL US SQUAT!!!!! so yeh i dont like them but thats it around here. What ever you have for me would be great ooohhhh fountian of endless knowledge

corina gabel
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH MY QUESTION????? PLEASE ANYONE IM AFRAID TO TAKE HER INTO THEM AND HAVE HER FLUSHED IF SHE DOESNT NEED IT!!!! THEY COULD MAKE HER WORSE...

Erica Morgan
Breeding Stock
Username: America

Post Number: 504
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would bring her to a different vet. These people dont sound very knowlege able. I would call the vet that told you she should be on 30cc and see if she needs to come in. Even though it may be a longer drive, it will be worth it. They seem to know what to do.
I wish i knew more, but i dont know all that much about horses just little things. Srry i wish i could help more.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Erica says - if you're not comfortable with your current vet, get a second opinion from a different one.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was wondering if her heat cycle would clean her out like it would for a period does for a women? Is that how a heat cycle works for animals?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Mares do not slough off the uterine lining in menstruation. It's a different type of cycle.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok thankyou so no mattter what i will have to have her flushed then! I was just hoping that i wouldnt have to bring here back here unless absolutly nessacary. i guess it is

corina gabel
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AHH so i went in to schedual a flush and she tells me that as long as shes got no discharge, or temp and is drinking water then she will put off the flush!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US