SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Asia Updates - Orphaned foal of beloved Dora

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Asia Updates - Orphaned foal of beloved Dora « Previous Next »

Kim Peavy/Blk&White Pinto Colt 6/16
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this might be a better way to keep up with Asia and Marilyn and those still waiting for July babies can keep their thread for that....I just love that little filly and am enjoying watching Marilyn and her interact....:-)

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, wonderful idea. I definitely think Asia deserves her own thread :-)

rhonda
Neonate
Username: Rhondab

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know that Asia was being bothered from flies. Maybe Marilyn could try concocting a non-toxic wipe with apple cider vinegar, water and just a touch of dishwashing liquid....might help a little. Keeping marilyn and Asia in my thoughts. She is precious.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just watching, looks like maybe they are wiping her down with something...I hope it helps with the flies....poor little girl....

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Black_opal

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read the other thread and am still in tears. I just wanted to offer my condolences to you, Marilyn. I wish I had a nurse mare for you as I don't think I'm too far from you (I'm in southern MI). Dora will live through that little girl. I'll be following this thread to see her progress.

Linda Bauer --Rita foaled 4/25
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used a box fan in stalls. The breeze really helps keep the flys off, and it doesn't take long for the horses to figure out laying or standing in front of it keeps them cool also.

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock
Username: America

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn i hope you are doing ok. Ive been popping in and watching asia alot. Lol she sure does like to sleep. YEA now she is up! finally i get to see her move lol.

im not trying to be a burdon but i want to do a suprise for Marilyn, so if someone who knew more about her, and Dora and Doras other foal would you email me so i can ask you a few questions. but its a total surpise for Marilyn so if i tell you you cant tell her what it is. but i will need some help with it. so if you do please email me at ericamorgan@ymail.com

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 495
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha ha im still watching she is up and walking around. some one came in gave her something, left then she was going to the bathroom and they came back lol she was like geez knock next time lol. oh my gosh she is doing so well. i got to see her run a little.

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everybody, Kim thanks for starting a new thread, this is much better than posting on a thread that was supposed to be for upcoming foals.

I have a box fan going for a couple months now, but the flies just laugh at it. So that stinks! The vet said I could wipe Bronco on the back legs and her back end. So that's what I'm doing, it's helps a little.

The vet has me trying the self serve Mare's Milk Plus. You leave it in the bucket and the foal drinks at will. The unfortunate side of the product is the flies like it too. I've been finding lots of dead flies floating in there. That is really gross to me.

Asia has developed diariah, so she's on Keopectate. The stall was very smelly from the diariah, so we stripped the whole stall and rebed it. I'm hoping this helps with the flies, but I have my doubts.

She's had low temperature for the past two days. 99 degrees so the vet had me give her yogurt. It must have helped because it's gone up to a good level of 101. So much to learn.

Oh, I almost forgot the results came back today on the IGg level. It's over 800, so she's good to go. YEA!!!! I would encourage everyone to have extra colostrum in the freezer, you just never know if you'll need it.

Rhonda, I'm going to try your fly control solution. I have the ingrediants, so tomorrow is the test to see if it works. Thank you for the idea!

Erica, you crack me up!

Take care all and thank you!!! Your encouragment and great ideas helps termendously!!! After reading these posts, I find my smile.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,

It is good to hear from you.
So pleased that the IgG test came back with good levels. That has to give you a big breath of air.

From experience, I know that you must be exhausted. Update when you can...and we are all thinking of you.

My cam is also hooked up...and I have your Asia up next to mine on the computer. Keeping an eye out on both of our girls. Let us know if you need some specific down time (if you need a nap, run an errand, etc). Lots of eyes around that I'm sure would be happy to help out.
My best to you,
Heather
ps
send me an email via my profile if you get a chance

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, thanks for the update. I'm still sending all my positive vibes, prayers and thoughts your way! You're doing such a great job with Asia and I just know she's going to be fine. That little filly is going to grow up and although never replace Dora will be her angel on earth.

I bet you're absolutely exhausted but if you find the time could you take some pictures? I would love to see Asia in color :-)

Kimberley M Kelley
Neonate
Username: Blacklabs

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are watching from MS and send many prayers for your filly and am so sorry about Dora.
Below is to a link to a igloo cooler that others have used with great success and might help eliminated the flies. You and Asia are in our prayers

http://latigo.marestare.com/forum/index.php?topic=2183.msg250322#new

Yearling

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn
What a precious girl you have. I look in on her when I can. (Thanks for sharing with us) You will definitely have a bond like no other with her. She looks so content when you are in their rubbing her down and spending time with her. Just wanted to let you know your both in my thoughts and prayers.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,i cant even see threw the tears while writing this,iam so sorry for your loss.my prayers and thoughts are with you and Asia.

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn im happy that you are cheering up. I watch little asia every time im on the computer. Its cool that we get to watch her grow up!
I cant wait to hear if that fly spray worked.

i was just wondering, is some fly spray stuff not good for foals? I only know of one that you cant use on them. But maybe you could spray endure around the stall to help keep them out.
ha ha the horse in there just keeps staring at Asia while eating. oh there soo cute!

I love that asia got doras stripe on the face. it looks awesomeo on both!

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn ok i just read that goats will work fine. Since you said you were afraid of the big horse being in there all the time.
There mare died after giving birth to a filly, and they put a goat in there as long term buddie. If you have one you could try that for her.

Brittany Pierson
Neonate
Username: Bndranch

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am from the marestare forum and heard about you loosing your beloved mare there. I do want to let you know that I know first hand about the goats milk.

Last month my neighbor's (VERY close friend) mare foaled and did a horrible foal rejection and almost killed the foal. We seperated them of course and tried the mares milk replacer on him and he would not touch it. We then tried goats milk and he devoured it! He too is bucket broke and we warm the milk up on the stove then pour it into his bucket and let him slurp away. He had ALOT of complications and we didn't think he would even survive. Not only was he rejected but he was dysemture as the mare went 373 days and then when she kicked him she cause severe swelling in his brain.

Needless to say after lots of hospital stays, meds and sleepless nights he is thriving now. He loves his goats milk and he looks fantastic. Goats milk is readily available where I live though. I have also heard of getting a goat and building her a stantion. The nanny's learn when the foal wants to nurse and they will climb up onto the stantion so the foal can nurse directly off the goat. We did not do this as my neighbor's hubby didn't want to mess with a goat.

Good luck and if I can help at all with any idea's or information we just went through please let me know.
Take care,
Brittany

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn. I'm so sorry to hear about Dora. I know how much you loved her. I haven't been on here for awhile myself, because I've had a few problems myself with sick animals. I will be praying for your cute little Asia.

Heather, it's geat to hear your filly is doing so well. I saw those pics you posted of her on another post, and just wanted to say she is absolutely georgous, the spitting image of her beloved mother, Grace.

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is asia? Its late, and her stall is closed but she isnt in there?
huh? i wonder where she went........
Marilyn how are you doing?
If its at all possible and if you have the time could you post a photo of asia, and your favorite photo of Dora.

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 499
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha ha nvm she was just sleeping in the corner i could just see her cute little ears! lol.

im not sure who that was that just went in, but it looked like they were rubing stuff on her back legs, and cleaning her butt. lol Asia just kept walking away like geez personal space please! lol omg i love that little girl! ha ha back to sleep! but now i can see her!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everybody! Update on Asia:
She has a terrible case of diariah and I can't seem to get it stopped. Yesterday Mike went to the vet and got some Probiotics and that's supposed to help. She had another dose this morning. So far it hasn't helped but she's only had one dose in her system, except for this morning, which hasn't been in her system long enough to see if it's working. The diariah is almost water and it squirts out like she's peeing. Her milk intake has decreased by 2/3rds. So I'm very concerned about that.

When I first started taking her temp. a few days ago it was 99.7, which should be 101 to 102 for a normal temp. I got it to around 101 for a day and now it's down to 100.6. Her gums are a healthy pink, so that's good.

This morning she has some energy. Will buck now when I clean her back end, poor little thing is having a horrible time with so much going on back there. We took her out of the stall and she ran a little, cantered a little, trot some for a few minutes. Then she was done and wanted back in the stall. Then she drank a couple of sips and layed down. In a couple of hours I'll leave the stall door open so she can get when she wants.

I'm going to try more yogurt in a couple of hours after the Probionics gets in her system.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm anxious to hear them. Thank you all for keeping up with Asia news, it seriously is keeping me sane right now. I'm very worried. I promise I'll post pictures as soon as I'm able. It takes me a long time to get pictures on here, I'm not very good at it and right now I don't have the patience to try and figure it out. Asia consumes a large amount of my time right now, I'm at the barn straight for about 14 hours and then come home and try to rest. Please don't think I'm terrible if I don't really look at other posts right now and respond. I'm about at wits end here with worry...

Yesterday my friend and I took the campanion mare, Tonya and Asia to a small grassy pasture. Asia was not very active, slept alot. She would lay there and the diariah would pour out, then she'd swat at the flies and fling poo all over me. YUCK!!! So I would move and it just flew everywhere. So by the end of the day, I was a mess, Asia poo, milk in my hair all matted and my clothes were filthy. I stunk to high heaven and it was hot. Not a good combination, heat and stink. lol...

Thanks Rhonda for the fly recipe, it does seem to help. I added eucliptus oil to that also and it added to the strong smell, my vet told me to add that. She has flies constantly around her butt and that can't feel good. I try and keep this on her, but I'm not sure if too much is bad. Do you know if it's okay to keep applying?

God bless you all, Marilyn

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I forgot, I checked out the Eglo cooler for the milk with the nipple attachment. I love the idea, my husband says he doesn't like going back to the nipple. It's very frustrating when I want to do it one way and Mike doesn't agree. Grrrr!!!

I'll let you know who wins this one in the end. lol

Kimberley Kelley
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also read on another site last night( Coth) that Destin with zinc oxide can be used on her sore butt and helps keeps the flies away.Would be concerned if she did lick it off her butt through.

Sending continually prayers for you and Asia.

(Message edited by blacklabs on July 16, 2008)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally got this done, I'm sorry it took soooo long. I hope I did this right.

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/Marq1horse/Asia/

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimberley, right now I'm using Petrolium jelly, but I'm going to go to the store today and pick up some Destin with zinc oxide. I'm thinking it may help keep the flies away too. I'll try anything, thanks for the idea!!!!

Tammy Snell
Weanling
Username: Sloan

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwww Marilyn she is BEAUTIFUL, and oh so special, will jingle her icky diarhea goes away, Iam sure she will be fine, she sure looks healthy.

I dont know what Dora looked like, so pardon me but is Asia a look alike to mom???

Kimberley Kelley
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also another product called Butt Paste with higher concentration of zinc oxide .I have never seen it in my area but maybe you have in your area.

http://www.buttpaste.com/BLButtPaste.php

Homemade Butt Paste

http://www.diylife.com/2007/08/20/easy-homemade-baby-butt-paste/

Good Luck.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: She is just beautiful...thanks for the pictures...such long slinky legs...she is going to be something! I know you are so tired and I keep praying for strength to get you guys thru this...looks like Mike is pretty taken with her too LOL

Lori Gettig
Neonate
Username: Lorig

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I am from MareStare also. Have been posting prayers on that site. So sorry to hear about Dora. Asia is absolutely gorgeous. I had a filly that was sickly for the first 3 months. Gave her Probiotics and Pepto Bismal constantly. I went to my local CVS and told them I would need lots of their Generic Desitin for a long time. They ordered me extra tubes and I negotiated a cheaper price. I washed her really good with Ivory soap (Vet recommended) and then put that on her as thick as I could. Flies didn't seem to like it and it would last for 24 hours. I don't even want to know how many tubes I went through but she NEVER got any sores on her butt. Fed the Mare Match also for 4 months. Then you had to mix it and stand and wait for them to finish drinking it. At first it was every 2 hours around the clock, then every 4, etc. I don't know how I survived thinking back but I did and she ended up fine by 6 months. Hope this helps. Will continue Praying and will now follow Asia's progress on here everyday. Take care. Lori

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
Asia is just so cute!!! Praying that the diarrhea will go away.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~Dear friend, deeply praying for yours and Mike's fortitude as you climb this hill in front of you but keep the prize in sight that ABSOLUTELY STUNNING PERFECT filly Asia. What a nicely put together gal. You might not be able to appreciate how well she is put together throught your fog :-) Gracie battle diarrhea to for about 3 months. Bad...yuk....I would go to Costco to buy the giant bottles of Pepto Besmo...
But a mix of A&D Ointment and Destin (Also available at Costco in jumbo size) Just spakled on her bum. Really helped keep the scald on her skin down and the mess to clean up. Hang in there!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much on the compliments on Asia. You're right Jan, right now I'm so consumed with her care, I haven't really noticed her outside appearance, I'm more interested in her inside right now. I'm glad to hear other people have battled the diarrhea and won! Yea!!! Gives me hope.

I called the vet and gave him an update, he's got her on antibiotics because of the foul smell of her poo. He thinks she may have an infection going on. We had some antibiotics on hand so she had a dose already. She's to have a dose once every 12 hours and then I need to call and let him know how she's doing.

Now mind you, I've been a horse owner for quite some time now and never had to medicate or do half the things I'm forced to do now, it's making me a much better horse person and caretaker. God works in mysterious ways.

We'll get through this together girls. Thank you from the bottom on my heart and then some!!!!!

Got to go now, I have to go to the store and buy desitin.

rhonda
Neonate
Username: Rhondab

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn,
OMG i am in love with this little girl. I am glad to hear that my concoction may be helping a bit with the flies. I dont see any reason why you couldnt apply it often as needed as long as you dont mind her smelling like apple vinegar...lol praying that you get her diarhea under control, that cant be comfy for the her...or you. I have also hearh that alot of people have been having great success controlling flies around their place with fly predators. I havent tried that yet but I am thinking I might. have heard great things about them. Good luck with the desitin..hope it helps :-)

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 500
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn Mike looks so happy with little asia! And omg she is so tall! i couldnt see that from the cam. I love the photos of her! i bet soon she will start flapping and flying with them ears! what a cutie!

Tammy, asia does look like Dora. They both have the stripe on there face. Dora had one white stocking (i think thats what its called) Asia went all out and got two! lol. flashy little girl!

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, she's GORGEOUS!!!!! You couldn't have custom ordered a more beautiful filly! Dora would be so proud, what a wonderful baby she made, you should be very proud!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
I couldnt have said it any better than what Jan did!

DO NOT! feel like you have to respond to our posts, you have enough on your plate! We all want you to know that Dora was one he*(*& of a mare.

She gave you a gift! Most of all I want you to know that we are all here for you in heart and soul! we're praying and rooting for you and Mike and lil Asia
Take care my friend!

L

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

): darn the cam doesn work for me right now. this will be my first day of not watching asia lol. Ive grown attacted!

Marilyn if you have the time could you get an outside close up photo of Asia, where i can see her whole body, with her face facing at us. Its still a surprise why though lol. And if you can get your favourite photo of Dora. That would help.

And again take care!
Think how wonderful it will be once asia is full grown and is attated to you so well!
Talk about strong bonds!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 568
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: She's georgous! I'm glad that the vet put her on antibiotics. I was reading through the postings and that was going to be my first suggestion to you was that there could be some type of bacterial infection going on. (I know that horses are not pigs or calves but...) When we have orphan babies or need to bottle feed our other livestock, we watch this very closely as supplemental colostrum does not always provide the complete coverage of mama. Scours is not uncommon but when it gets to the point that Asia's was, we look to an antibiotic program just to make sure that we are getting any bugs that may be causing the problem as well.

My daily thoughts are with you and Mike. Its a job to hand raise a baby but its all worth it in the end. Pet that cutie pie once for me!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everybody! My internet server ran out of minutes because of marestare, so I can't use my home computer until we can get that straightened out. I found out it's very expensive to keep marestare going, so I'll probably have to limit the usage. I'll probably have a time span when I have it up. Let me know what time is best. I think I can handle 3 or 4 hours a day. Gosh that really stinks! I also wasn't able to go online at all until Mike brought one of his work computers home. Once we get more minutes, I'll post more pictures.

Anyway, update on Asia:

Once the antibiotics started working, she is like a flying tornado! I should have called her Windy! lol It's very nice to see her buck, run and play like a normal foal would do. She was so lathargic before, it really concerned me. We got her temperature at a normal foal temperature, thank goodness! The diareah (I can never spell this word) is still with us. We bath her twice a day, (not her favorite thing to do) but she stands fairly well now. She does try and bite (that little S---) so when she does I pinch her mouth and then she stops.

I gotten to the point where I'm able to put a halter on. I'm working on leading. (She needs lots of work on this) She thinks she's a princess and can go where she wants, this will get better with time and lots of patience.

She still has her companion friend, but it's almost more like an ornament. Tawna doesn't want a lot to do with her. Asia will come flying past her and Tawna just moves away. Tawna doesn't like going in the stall with her. I'm hoping with time this will change, I hate to see Tawna in the sun all day.

Giving meds is a real challenge. She hates anything that resembles a seringe anywhere near her. So now I take her milk away for a bit and when she gets hungry I mix the meds in a small amount of milk and she gobbles it up, then she can drink to her hearts content. And boy does she drink!!!

For a couple of days now I've lead her to a grassy pasture and off the dry lot she's in now and she seems to like the change. I thought it was pretty baby proof with small mesh, but the mesh is not small enough. She got her foot through it, but luckly was able to get it back out safely. Scary how quickly bad things can happen.

Thank you for all the sweet things you've said about my little girl and the great ideas. I'll try and keep you posted and let you know when we get the marestare back up and running.

Oh, I have a question, what do you do when the foal comes running past you and tries and play kick? I may have been playing with her too much and need to back off and be less of a playmate. I think that's part of the problem, so I'm trying to do that, but is there anything I should do to stop this or should I just push her away and igore her?

Talk to you soon. God bless and take care all!
Marilyn

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So wonderful to hear she's running and bucking and acting like normal foal now! That's the post I've been waiting for!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: So glad things are looking so good! Sounds like she's well on her way to bouncing back! As far as the "playing" thing...Jonathan/Tim warned us all about this (with orphans and dummy foals) that they have the tendency to think we're "horse family" and the whole crowding space/no respect thing can be come a handful down the road. When my started this, I took either a crop or a leadrope out with me when I worked with them and when they started that type of behavior, bopped 'em. This usually sent them running back to mom for a "wow...what was that all about attitude" but you ARE the mom so I'm not sure how you should best handle that. I'll let those that have raised orphan foals help you in that area. I definately don't think you should ignore it, if mom was there, she wouldn't ignore it and let her get by with it. That's a big hmmmmmmm.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YIPEE! Marilyn! I am so happy for you that Asia is on the road to recovery. That is great. As far as that running by and kicking at you, orphan or not, they all try it make a noise, flap your arms, and scold her and run her off, she loves you and will be unhappy if you don't let her in your space but until she comes in nicely I would move her off, a coiled up lead rope smacking against you leg, use the lest amount of pressure neccessary, kind of follow Parelli/John Lyons...you are doing great!

Big Hugs!

Jan

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn
I knew you had it in you! I agree with Jan make all kinds of racket flap those arms like a bird anything to scare the bajesus out of Asia!

Hugs!
L

Kimberley Kelley
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for the updates and so glad Asia is on the mend.Sending lots of prayers she continues to improve.
She sounds like a hand full right now.

When you get a few extra minutes you have many well wishes and suggestions on MS, below is the link.
http://latigo.marestare.com/forum/index.php?topic=8599.new;boardseen#new

(Message edited by blacklabs on July 19, 2008)

Kristin L. Culhane
Weanling
Username: Destinydelights

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: Yes God does work in mysterious ways blessing us with these perfect little creatures from the clutches of dispair mine from a deathrow mom and your Precious little Asia who looks like perfect angel, for us to nurture and teach all that we can... my heart goes out to you and Mike I'm not sure if I could do what you guys are undertaking, but I'm sure the rewards will come back to ya'll thousand fold here on earth and beyond, you got your filly and I got my colt and we both got our hands full, you just unfortunatly got more than you planned for, but keep up the great work she looks AWSOME I love her Chrome she will stand out in a crowd for sure!
and thanks sooo much for all your help with my ignorances to this whole foaling routine on the other post. Kristin, Delight's, and Dusty Gold(06/22/08)

Erica Morgan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn im so happy that Asia is doing better. She is such a lovely little girl! Dora would be so proud of everthing you did for her!
}}
I HAVE A SURPRISE FOR YOU MARILYN!!!

1.ok so copy the link into the messanger bar.

2.then double click on the photo,

3.then you can zoom in do that four times and its a perfact photo!
You have to copy and paste this into the messanger bar.}

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy\My Documents\My Pictures
I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I didn't know that the orphan and dummy foals are more prone to see us as horses. I thought all foals act this way! I have bopped my little man on the rump several times for such behavior, although I am always careful to let him know he gets lovin when he approaches appropriately.

He is getting almost semi-dangerous toward others, with wanting to rear up or swing around his rump and kick out. But he seems to be getting the idea that his behavior won't be tolerated. He runs up to me and the next move is to rear up, but now I can stop him by simply turning around and saying "whoa."

Getting him into a halter is a struggle though. I hate that he fights it so.

Marilyn, I'm so glad little Asia is doing well. It must be heartwarming to see her acting like a foal ought to. I'm glad she is on her way to having a long and healthy life!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I lost my long post because I wasn't logged in. I hate that when that happens. I still don't have internet access at home, it'll be at least 2 more weeks. Waaaa!!! I can't post any new pictures or anything. I'm at work right now and don't have too much time because I took last week off to take care of Asia and now I'm way behind at work. It's rather stressful here right now, but I wanted to update quickly on how Asia is doing.

Her diarriah is now the consistancy of a milkshake or yogurt. Doesn't smell as badly as it once did, so the antibiotics must be working. I have to laugh because it's like when you see this cute little baby and think awwww this baby is so cute, let me hold her until you smell a poopy diaper and then you don't want to hold her after all. Well, that's just like that with Asia, she is so cute until she comes up to you and smell her, ya just don't want her too close with her swishing her tail and spraying stinky diarriah poopies all over. It's not that bad now, but it was just like that. YUCK! lol

She loves to eat and tries to copy her mare friend and eat hay. We give her Foal Started grain at night and she eats some, but doesn't eat that much yet, mostly plays with it.

We have the flies pretty much under control. We have fly stips everywhere and one fly bag. This made a huge difference in the fly population.

With the help of our wonderful neighbors, Asia is getting great care and being spoiled rotten. lol Mike and I are so blessed with our friends, I only hope one day we can repay them. They won't except money at all, we tried, but Mike was able to do farrier work on her horse so that helped somewhat, but we need to find more, much more to help them out. They are truly are an unbelieable blessing to us.

Asia is going to be a fairly tall horse I think. She has such long canon bones. Her mom was only 15.3, but her dad was 17.1, so I think she'll be around 16.1 or 16.2. We did the measure thing and that's what we came up with.

Erica, I am so excited to see your surprise, but I don't know where the messenger bar is, can you help me find it? I'm sorry, I'm not that good on the computer. I can't wait to see my surprise!!!

CJSkip, Asia is exactly like you describe how your foal is kicking and bucking around you. I am having a time with that too. I'm yelling, arms flaling, I push her away, but I don't always catch her. I have to get that crop out and try that like someone suggested here. That sounds like it may work.

She has two baths a day to get the poops off her, so she's pretty good at that. Although even though we put ointment on her butt, it's still sore, so sometimes she bucks and tries to escape. I can't say I blame her, she thinks we're the cause of her pain and she just wants out of there.

She is doing well in her little halter and leading quite well. It's out of necessity that we had to teach her this early on. She's catching on very quickly. We are truly blessed by having this little girl, I can see Dora in her when I look at her, this makes me feel like Dora is still around, but in a different way.

I really have to go now and get my work done here so as not to get fired. I have a ton to do so I best be going.

God bless you all,
Marilyn

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 777
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
I am happy things are going well. Thanks for the update. (((((HUGS))))

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marylin, thanks for the update. I was not posting often since I came to Patagonia on vacation but every time I checked e-mails I took a peak at Asia!. I am glad she is doing better. I agree with everybody, Asia is just PERFECT, she has the most beautiful neck!. I am also glad you can see Dora in her, I bet Dora would be very proud.
hugs!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~Thanks for the post, don't know how you do it. I am sure your neighbors appreciate your gratitude. A nice BBQ sounds good for a thanks all around :-) Somehow you will get through this and it will be all worth it. Keep your job :-) you need it for this horse habit we all have :-)

Big squeeze and hug and continued prayers~ Love, Jan

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I'm so happy that Asia is doing well and can't wait to see updated pictures.

Your neighbors sound like wonderful people, it goes to show you that human kindness is still alive and well. It makes my heart warm when I hear stories like yours :-) I agree with Jan, a nice BBQ I bet is thanks enough. I would absolutely do the same for someone and not expect anything in return and I know you would do the same to if they were in your shoes.

Thanks for the update!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you girls, you sure are a wonderful group of woman!

Actually there are two people who's been doing all work. My friend Jennifer and Nancy. Nancy has been getting up during the night and coming over twice during the day to feed her since this happened. Jennifer feeds her twice a day during the day. These two woman are very special people. I positively could not take care of Asia without them.

The BBQ sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll bet they would enjoy that. But with my cooking, it might be better to take them out to eat. lol

I forgot to mention the other day Asia gave me a scare. She wasn't eating much at all and was very lathargic, the vet said to give her yogurt, either plain or vanilla flavor. She perked right up and has been fine since. I thought I'd mention this in case someone else has this happen to them. He also said to make sure she eats another horse's poop, which is good to get her system going. It really is gross to offer her this to eat and watch her eat it... Yuck, very gross!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erica, I'm sorry I forgot to post pictures of Dora for you. Is this picture all right?

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/Marq1horse/?action=view&current=DSC0130 2.jpg

Erica Morgan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn im so happy that Asia is all better now, and that you have help with her! I thought she was going to be tall lol. Im so happy you see Dora in her.
Thankyou that photo of Dora is exactly what i needed for my other little surprise to you!
The messanger bar is where you would type things like google, and yahoo.
So you just copy this

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy\My Documents\My Pictures

put it there and press enter. I may have called it the wrong thing i dont really know what its called lol.

but if you want to see the surprise bigger double click on it.
Tell me if you like it!

Erica Morgan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops stupid me. lol you cant see the suprise there because thats on my computer. well i uploaded it onto photo bucket. here it is. now all you have to do is click on it!
http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k397/horsejumper44/?action=view&current=Doraa ndAsia.jpg

I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!!

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH ERICA!!!! You are the most wonderful sweetest girl ever!!! I promptly burst into tears as soon as I saw it. I'm sure Marilyn will love it, you are awesome!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is incredible. I cried and cried, I'm so happy you did this for me. Thank you so much Erica! I'm going to print this and frame it. I will always treasure this gift you gave me, what a wonderful idea and so thoughtful! They make a pretty pair, don't they... It's so shocking because it looks exactly like they're together in real life. You did a fantastic job! Sometimes it seems so surreal to me. Thank you again, that was so sweet of you.

I have a question regarding Asia's front legs. She is still knock kneed in the front, the back legs are fine. At first she would walk with one leg criss crossing in front of the other, now it's not as bad, but she still has that upside down v formation. I'm getting a little worried, since I thought by now they would have straightened out. Has anyone experienced this before and how long does it take to straighten?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn Sweetness,
Asia's legs should straighten with time. if they were worse when born and not so much now you can see improvments then that's GOOOD!!!!

My summer was also born with weak legs she has now caught up and doig the dance!! You know the baby dance... rearing jumping running!!!!!

:-)

Huge hugs my friend!

Erica Morgan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn im glad you liked it! They make a perfact pair. I just new we needed a photo of them together, like it should be. But we know Dora is watching over her, and will always be with her, and thankfull of everything you are doing for Asia.
Tracy thankyou for your kind words!
I do not know much about foals, legs. but i hope all turns out well with her!

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erica,WHAT A GREAT THING YOU DID FOR MARILYN,I COULD NOT OF THOUGHT OF A BETTER GIFT THEN ONE WITH THEM BOTH TOGETHER!!YOU ARE GREAT!!!!BUT YOU MADE ME CRY!!

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erica, I was so touched by that photo! What a thoughtful thing to do.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well Erica, I think you made us all cry! that was sweet.

Marilyn, a filly born along with Calfu had the same problem and she is fine now. There is info on that (if it is the same problem) on Blessed are the foals, do you have it?. It says there it self corrects by the time they are 6 month old or so. I am just thinking out loud, but may be in the future it should be good to contact a farrier so her hooves are straight while she grows? off coarse when you get up to date with the rest of your life!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erica
At such a young age... You will most definitely turn out to be one sweet woman!

LB

Erica Morgan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks everyone. lol i didnt mean to make any one cry. lol
but i made my self cry while doing so i guess were even lol.

Marilyn are you still searching for a sergant mom for Asia?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erica, at this point we aren't looking for a seragate mom. She is eating and gaining weight and doing well, so we're going to keep things as they are. Asia has a companion mare and they get along very well, although it's more like the companion is just putting up with her, but that's fine as long as she doesn't hurt Asia. Thanks for asking, Marilyn

Erica Morgan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 513
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought she was doing just fine. I bet she considers you her mom. :D. Good, as long as the other horse doesnt hurt her, then its all good. lol i was watching the cam one time asia was sleeping, the mare was eating and she just kept staring at asia like, stay sleeping and calm im eating at the moment lol

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I feel for little Asia and her sore butt. Sounds like a constant struggle for you. Hopefully she will soon have normal stools.

It is teriffic that she leads already, even if it was out of need. And I'm so glad you can see Dora in her and it comforts you.

I hate to bring it up, but I've tried to find the link where you posted Dora's tragedy. Would you mind telling me where it is?

Again, I'm so glad Asia is doing well. Please send photos often so we can see her progress.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: I am SO HAPPY that Asia is doing so well! Poor Moose had sore butt syndrome too...it got better over time but he still gets an upset stomach pretty easy (compared to the other foals).

What an awesome photo job! Erica, what an incredibly neat gesture and gift you gave Marilyn! You get an extra gold stamp on your "heaven ticket"!

Cj & Marilyn: Hahahaha...yes, they DO think we're horses. Its pretty funny but boy, the little stinkers can get dangerous with their behaviors! Lena's cute little filly backed me up in a corner the other day when I wasn't looking and was giving it to me with both back feet. Luckily, she didn't get connected but let me tell you, that little lady needs a "working over"! Mommy doesn't discipline her like she should and now she's getting a little big for her own britches!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning all! Thank you Cj and Bobbi. Cjskip the thread that you're refering to is called July 2008 Foal Watch, that explains everything that happened.

Bobbi, I had the same thing happen the other day. I was cleaning the stall and out of the blue I felt this huge pain on my thigh. It took me one nanosecond to realize Asia kicked me squarely on my leg. It hurt like a son of a gun to say the least. I had a plastic fork in my hand and I smacked her with it. It didn't hurt her a bit, but she sulked and just stood there. After a bit she came up to me and then she was back to being sweet. I think she was feeling good and kicked thinking I was her playmate and really gave it to me. Let me tell you, these foals can really kick hard. I have a huge bruise on my leg. But she hasn't connected again after that.
The Immodium (sp?)meds are working better than anything else we tried for her diarriah. Asia's poops are the consistancy of thick paste. Still no form, but much much better. She's eating a little less though, but I think that's because she's retaining so much more. Before she would squirt while eating, she doesn't do this anymore.

She's doing very well and growing. She was 10 hands and 122 lbs last weekend, so it'll be interesting to see what she is this weekend. She is so cute, I came home from work and called her while I was walking to the barn and she was calling back. This made me feel so good that she knows my voice. How cool is that. :-)

Anyway, we're having fun with her. It's a lot of work, but it's getting easier all the time.

I hope Tia mare foaled last night. It's so hard to be on foal watch for any extended period of time, very exhausting.

Take care all and God bless,
Marilyn

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
It's so good to get an update on a FRIDAY!!!!
and one as wonderful as this!

My lil girl finally kicked me (and I was beginning to think she was perfect?? hahhah)
She really didnt connect to my thigh I was to close to her but she did get a rude awakening from me since her momma lets her get away with alot!!!!!!!

Well it's nice to see Asia does have improvements
she will grow up to be just as loving as her mom!

Take care,
L

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: Yep, those little ones can connect with some power! My sweet little Moose connected to my daughter's leg when he was about a week old and she had the most horrible bruise for two weeks on her thigh. I think it just takes awhile for them to figure out we're not "one of them"...JJ used to be an onery devil in that he would run right up to you and rear up and strike. It took a few times of that same type of "bopping" him only to have him run away and sulk. He learned pretty quickly though. Now he just comes a runnin' at you, slide stops a few feet from you and stands like a gentleman. Its a bit intimidating to those "non horse people friends" that visit the farm.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend's foal double barrel me right in my abdomen! She ruptured an ovarian cyst I had and bruised my uterine ligament. It could of been worse I guess but I couldn't believe how much power a little one has!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG Tracy!
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Tracy, that's terrible. I guess I was lucky she only got my leg.

I have Mike's lap top computer, so I'm not real good at it, but I'm going to try and get you girls some pictures this weekend. Asia is growing like a weed and getting stronger each day.

I need some advice on something that's been bothering me, I hope you can help me. I'm having a very difficult time with the fear of losing Asia. This breeding adventure of mine has lost me one colt and one mare, and I have to say it is causing me a great deal of anxioty. I'm finding myself trying not to get to emotionally close to Asia, but I'm not succeeding. I'm so scared something is going to happen to her and I am going to lose her too. How does someone get over this fear of loss? It can't be healthy...

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically I've never been kicked by a horse until that episode. It hurt like crazy so now I never trust a foal!

Marilyn, I think your answer is time. Time will start to heal wounds, time will make things not so painful. Of course you're scared you'll lose Asia, how could you not be?! It will get better, I promise :-)

Did you try breeding Marq and Uh-oh one last time?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 684
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, not to be too blunt, but what you've been through is extremely hard to deal with. But it happens. It's a part of breeding that is always at the back of your mind. The fact that you (and I) have been so unfortunate, pretty much makes me hopeful that we've gotten our bad luck out of the way in the beginning. And that we have many more years of successful foalings to go. Tracy is right, and there is no way except to let time pass to get over the hurt you have gone thru...but if Dora were here today, you'd be letting yourself get emotionally attached, and you'd be spoiling little Asia rotten. I don't think your fears of losing her are unjustified. But I do believe that if it were me, I'd become attached, I'd spoil, I'd love, and I'd cherish her! Every minute. So far, she's been a big job for you....and a worry. Try for Asia's sake to let yourself bask in every minute of your time with her, as she is precious, with or with out her mother, and whether she stays 2 weeks or 20 years under your wing. Dora got EVERYTHING you had to offer, and you've waited a long time for this precious little Asia. Love her...stop worrying about her, and LOVE HER.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearest Marilyn~We all hold on tight to those things we love the most :-( The total heartbreak that we experience when we lose an animal companion is very real. An extremely devastating thing and you had to endure a loss and go into sleep deprevation mode to keep a very precious being alive. WOW.....You have had no time to properly grieve your loss of Dora...Forgive yourself....be in the NOW...enjoy Asia Now...no one is promised tomorrow so smile at the darling, do your best, and hope and believe that she will see you into your golden years. That is my plan for my Gracie,I am sure that is your plan for Asia and we can not control what the future holds. I will pray for a peaceful spirit for you dear friend...the Creator knows our heartache for He made our beautiful horses for us to enjoy.....Peace for you Big hug, Jan

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I understand how you feeland its not a frivulous thing but Asia is here and doing well so go ahead and enjoy today with her. Unfortunately we can not expeirence the beautiful joys of this life unless we endure some of its horrors. Out of a devastating trama you lost Dora but God gave you Asia and although we pray she lives a long life its not a guarantee but no matter what God will see you thru so hug her close and play lots!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
Everyone has said it best!!!! Do believe that you do deserve this! Relax and enjoy!

Hugs,
L

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everybody! I knew I could count on you for excellent advise. Time is the healer... It's just very very hard. I will try my best to enjoy each day as it comes and thank God for every day I get to be with her.

She was 10 hands tall and 122 lbs last weekend. This weekend she's 10.1 hands tall and 136 lbs. So she is growing and getting stronger each day. She now is afraid of other people when they come to visit. I don't know where that came from, but that just started a few days ago. We try and use a butt rope and halter to keep her in one place so the visitors can see her, but she has a fit. She's even reared and fell to the ground. I hope this is a fase. Nothing tramatic has happened to her as far as I know. Has anyone else's foal done this shy thing when they were so friendly in the beginning? This is so strange to me...

Thank you very much again for being there for me and Asia. All of you mean the world to me!

Marilyn

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 660
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I can only say that with the horror you went through, it is no wonder you feel anxiety about Asia and are afraid to get close, due to a fear of losing her too. I also can't help but wonder if there are some feelings of guilt, or even anger, that Dora died giving birth to Asia. There must be a lot of convoluted feelings going on in you, and that is so normal, I'm sure.

My colt had a low IgG; borderline for transfusion. It was traumatic trying to get him to nurse, with the 12 hour clock ticking away after he was born.

So I often went out to the pasture, half expecting to see him dead. It was hard to shake, but I just reminded myself that he was getting better every day. He is about three months old now, and those feelings and thoughts seldom surface now. My experience is minimal, compared to your's, yet I too had those feelings.

Dora knows you are taking good care of her baby and that you are doing all you can. I think that is all anyone can do. So much is not in our hands. It is natural that you would feel apprehesion, after what you went through. Perhaps, as you have time to grieve for the loss of Dora, as someone mentioned, you will begin to mend.

Asia is your diamond, out of a pile of coal. I hope this sounds the way I mean it. In other words, she is the shining jewel, which came out of a horrible situation.

Give her lots of pats and scratches. In time, I think the love will come. And pay close attention to the positive markers-poop is better-she's growing-etc. Think those thoughts when the apprehension wants to take over. Even visualize her being a healthy, adult horse, perhaps.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Surely it won't happen again. And may your little filly give you lots of wonderful, healthy foals if you want, in the future. Take care and I'm sending a big hug to you as well!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 661
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to respond to the "kicking" foal posts. Now I feel better! I was feeling mean, getting after Poco, with my crop. He runs up to me, aggressively, but will stop when I turn around. So I'm not punishing him. But lately, he is bolder. I cannot quite explain it, but he is being CONFRONTATIONAL! At least, that is what we would call it in human terms, I think.

I hate that we are in this power struggle. I am at an empass. Do I 'beat' (I'm using this term VERY loosely) his little butt, or not respond, as long as he stops?

I can see his little brain working when he does this. "Can I do it and get away with it? Huh, huh? Can I? Can I?"

He has kicked out with both hind feet when I have corrected him, although he was a yard or so short of connecting with some part of my body.

Tracy, I am so sorry you got kicked in the abdomen. It really does show that foals can be dangerous-or maybe just plain, are dangerous. My guy thinks I'm a horse. And for all of the rest who had bruises, I feel for you. I have escaped.... so far.

But when you "get after" them, what do you do? I have hit him with the crop on his chest, when he runs up to me, but he keeps doing it.

I've smacked his legs with the crop when he's struck out at me. That is, I whopped him on top of his legs as he was in striking mode. That did work, by the way. He hasn't done that since. I got the idea from someone (I'm sorry-memory fails me-quite often I'm afraid) who said she hits the whithers when a horse rears as she is leading it.

I know I am not equipped to train a foal. This is so odd to me because I took the colt training class and those 18+ mo. old colts did none of the things my 3 mo. old does. Anyone know why? They all lived as a herd, out in pasture.

Anyway, Poco did all of that. Rearing, falling over, flipping around. He finally got so tired the next time he fell down, he just laid there for awhile. I haven't put the halter on him a lot, as it is very difficult to do it alone. But each time, he is better. He will try to run away and he will rear some, but not nearly like before.

The biggest problem was it upset his mama, so she got harder to work around. She'd interfere; try to get between me and him.

So don't worry. It is disconcerting at the time, I know, but it will pass.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 662
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay-I can hear the head scratching now. What the heck is CJ talking about at the end of her post?

"Anyway, Poco did all of that. Rearing, falling over, flipping around..." and so on. Well, I cut and pasted, to create a new and shorter post, responding to just that, but I didn't cut all of it so I ended up with a partial post. Sorry for the confusion everyone. And I can't even blame it on DUHH!!

Well, maybe a little. I've been pretty distracted lately with the idea that I might not have a 2009 foal!!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ when ypur foal does anything disrespectful run him away from you keep doing this till he is respectful of your space when he comes in politely give him a good rub and soft words but the minute hes a butt send him away again. He is treating you just like hed treat another foal his age not the ideal thing for your safety.
They all fight the rope some its a natural learning experence. If you have a safe place you can take and let him drag the rope for a cpl of hrs while you are able to keep an eye on him this will start his lesson in giving to the rope and best of al he does it all to himself.

Marilyn Asia is doing a very normal thing most foals go through a shy stage to some degree even Catcher did it now hes super friendly. Also Asia doesnt see you and her other care takers as people but as other horses I doubt she even realizes that she doesnt look like you and Mike lol

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I agree with Jenni, you and Mike are "one of her herd" and not "stangers" In the wild other herd stallions would be fighting and such over the herds and it would be super important that the baby stay with her"herd" and be suspicious of stangers. I would not force it but have them squat down perhaps with a goodie bucket I am sure her curiosity will overwhelm her and she will make friends.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys make a lot of sense, thank you so much for your help! Crazy at work, so I don't have much time to post.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn & CJ: You are definately not alone. Alot of us, including me with "sweet little Taya"...NOT!!!!...have misbehaving foals. I have no idea why some do and some don't. My vet has a theory in that some mares (which would include Taya's mom) are very protective and therefore they "put themselves" between humans and their foals for the first few weeks. Its what we all call being a great mommy, but in all actuality, it makes our little foals think they are princesses and princes. I thought Blossom and Echo were terrible moms as they would let me do anything to their foals right from the start...but look, these two foals are the best to work with. So maybe, in all actuality, they are the better moms. Lena lets Taya rear up and kick at her...so littly Taya thinks she is invincible.

CJ: Little Taya is gonna get her little fanny wore out here in the near future. When she's at a point where I can't hurt her neck or other developing areas, she's gonna sweat her little attitude out in a round pen where mom can't help...*SMILE* Then she'll discover some respect. But she's going to give me a run for my money as she just gets bigger and bigger every day.

Marilyn: The vet is worked for 12 years ago told me once, "The greatest gift we can have is the love for our animal. The greatest sorry we can have is to loose the love of something we hold dear. If we protect our hearts from loss and grief, we never quite allow ourselves to experience the gift of full and unconditional love. The reality is that we will (hopefully) all outlive our animal friends but to distance ourselves to ease the pain will never give us the same joy as when we release and succomb to the love and inevitably, the grief that will follow."

I know its hard, but you know horses go to heaven!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn! Glad she's doing so well, just popping in to say Hi and keep up the good work...I know it's lots of work! LOL....thinking of you and baby always, Kim

cindy werner, fate born 4/05/2008
Breeding Stock
Username: Cricketsmom

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI cjskip, i am so glad my 4 month old colt isnt the only one out there doing the bad hings he does, iam glad iam not alone, everything you described poco doing, fate has been there done that. i have been trying so hard to break this habit of his, he has gotten a little better now, i have been working with him only a few minutes a day in his run in , just walking stopping, this has helped. he still will try to run up to you in a field and rear up given the chance. he has gotten his butt whipped many times and still does this, stubborn? i thought maybe because he is a appy.

Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I donít understand the stubborn appy reference. I just think itís a colt thing! I am new to the appy ownership thing, having been raised with AQHA & APHAís. So I grew up with the appy prejudice, but I now own 3 appaloosas, 2 of which have foundation papers. ( so lots of appy bloodlines there) I personally havenít found them any more stubborn than the other horses I have owned thru the years, and there have been quit a few.
I havenít had the charging & rearing problems with my 3-month-old colt. (knock on wood) but I think it is because he and mom are turned out with my other 3 horses. ( 5 yo AQHA gelding, 14 yo AQHA mare, 6 yo ApHCmare) They are not overly mean to him but they do teach him manners. I did notice when he was younger they were less stern with him and the older he gets the more stern they are becoming. It has been interesting watching the dynamics of the herd. I also practice moving his feet, disengaging his hindquarters, & moving his front end around. I donít even put a halter on him.(Clinton Anderson technique. Sorry for this post in the area, just had to comment on the appy reference.
Attached is pic of my 3 month old appy colt
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/bailey/7-29-08.jpg

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn we need more Asia pics!!! I know your busy so just when you have time

I own Apps and several other breeds Appys tend to be calm and lazy to the point of stubborness if you dont know how to get what you want out of them. The rearing is just a colt thing and doesnt fit the appy profile. just drive him away from you when hes inapropiate the older he gets the more mom should disipline if not consider a pasture buddy helps at weaning to

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Judy and Cindy. Yeah, these little guys keep us guessing. I think having other horses, besides a "protective" mama, must be a plus in teaching manners, although I know some foals are sweet forever, without other horses at all.

My guy is doing okay. I do try to get him on top of the withers for rearing. He does little of that with me. I've even started geting after him about it when he does it to mama and by gosh, if she doesn't seem to appreciate it! She has started to do a little more lately, to put him in check.

Also, turning him out to pasture so he can run off energy helps. He gets good and tired. That is when I put the halter on. It's lots easier.

So guess we'll just keep at it. I have to remind myself that my cute little "baby" does not see himself as I do. He thinks he is big "Stud Muffin." I think his face and little fanny are adorable and I just want to love him, pet him and all that.

Our philosophies are just different-that's all it it!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 667
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericka, I just wanted to tell you how great that picture is of Dora and Asia. What a gift you've given Marilyn and quite honestly, the rest of us, who wish we could make her feel better. I can't imagine a better way to do it. Precious!!!!!!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 668
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, WOW! He looks great. What are you feeding him? He is really muscled out. Now I wonder about my own guy who is a little slighter build, but his siblings are that way, so maybe it is just him.

Anyway, you gotta be proud of your baby!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I've been thinking the same thing. A round pen would be great. I am going to convert my pipe (foaling) corral into a round pen. I can use it to help wean him too.

As for the neck: I had a vet tell me the younger they are, the less they can get hurt. She ties her's at 2 weeks! Of course, it helps if one has a mare that will tie well and is calm about the whole thing.

Jenni, thanks for the advice. I am going to do the rope dragging thing when I can be around to keep a close eye on him. And I do make him stay out of my space, now. At first, I was just so happy that he would let me touch him, I suppose I reinforced the behavior. But I'm a lot tougher on him now, because I can see what is working and what is not.

But I like your idea of putting him away from me when he is crowding. The only thing is, it used to be easy to push him away. Now he is getting bigger and actually seems to resist it, so I don;t want to reinforce that. After all-heaven forbid he figure out that he is stronger than me-LOL!!!!! Can you recommend a way to do that? I have hit him with the crop, which he respects A LOT! But I don't want to hit him with it unnecessarily. Does this make sense at all?

I do have some DVD's on the way, finally. In addition, I may be doing a partial swap for a riding horse from his breeder. That would be ideal-but SOB! I never thought I'd part with him and the longer I have him, the less I want to let him go. It will soon be DECISION time!

Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ Thank you, he is turned out on about 10 acres. So he gets to run and play. He eats grain & hay when I feed his mother. I am guilty of not getting him his own grain pan yet. I feed her a 3-way grain w/ calf manna in it, and they have both done well. Bailey will be in his 1st show this next weekend. ApHC Weanling Futurity, I will post pic on the 2008 foal site when I get them
Marilyn I keep checking for updates on your lovely baby Asia. Would love to see more pics.
Thanks Linda

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn: Just checking in and letting you know that I am thinking about you today and praying for you, Mike, and Asia....Hugs, Jan

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
Same here!

ALways,
L

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ here are a few tips to try with your guy. In the pasture when he runs up being a butt stand square making yourself look really big with a lot of forceful energy look him straight in the eye and stomp your feet wave your arm if nessasary. Dont be suprised if the minute you turn your back he isnt following you wich is fine as long as he's respectful about it. I know this sounds mean and im not advocating hitting him but your better off to be tough on him now than let him get 1200lb brat.
He resists being pushed away bc he is resisting you as a dominant leader. On a lead line when he is disrestful move his feet preferabl;y backwards square yourself up just like in the pasture and assertively wiggle the lead telling him to back move towards him with lots of energy if he does not back tap the ground with your crop or even a stick If he still doesnt move tap those feet If he still doesnt move tap or poke his chest. eventual all youll have to do is square up to him and maybe wiggle the rope and he'll back up. Once he figures out that you control his feet he'll except you as leader and behave this doesnt mean that he'll quit testing you all together just that when he does test you a quick reprimand will be all thats needed.
If you want feel free to email me if I can be of more help or I can even call if you want.

Marilyn prayers are with you.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning everyone! I lost my post, so I have to redo it. Waaaa!!! I'm sorry for the long delay, but we've been very very busy with Asia and the rest of the horses. This past weekend we went to Michigan to pick up my two mares that never did get bred. We're very disappointed with that, so if you know of anyone looking for a 10 year old TB mare that can't be bred, but is perfectly sound and pretty, great ground manners, let me know. With some work, Marq would make a fantastic eventing or jumper. We will try to breed Uh-O one more season next year, if that doesn't work, she'll have to go also. It breaks my heart, but they were here for that purpose and it's not working out.

Asia is such a joy for us. After using your suggestions, she is much better to be around. Her manners are coming along and she's not nearly as aggressive as she once was. Thank you for all your help!

Asia is eating her yogurt and grain much better now. At first she wouldn't eat her yogurt, but after mixing it in her milk, she gobbled it down. Then there was the grain issue. She did not want to eat her grain. We tried mixing the yogurt in with the grain and wella she ate the grain. Last night we put grain in her bucket without the yogurt and it was gone this morning. This is huge! She drinks her milk like there's no tomorrow. We've been in contact with a place that raises orphins and she told us to regulate her drinking because she was getting a little chunky and she was drinking over 6 gallons a day! Yes, 6 gallons! We were giving her free choice, like we were told and she was drinking too much, so we've had to cut her back to 5 gallons. You should see her little (big) belly, too big for a foal that age, so it's a good thing to cut back.

A few days ago we had a bad storm come through, with high winds. Poor little Asia was scared to death! She was running around her stall. I went in the stall and held her, she was shaking terribly. I calmly stroked her and reassured her and she calmed right down. Last night we had another horrible thunder storm all night long and she was wonderful, calm and not running in her stall. We were watching her on the monitor. I think she learned to stay calm from the last episode. I'm so proud of her!

Her diarriah is getting better, but not gone. Her poops are more like dog poop now and not the spewing kind she had before. We give her two doses a day of Immodium and yogurt, that's helping out alot.

I took some new pictures and will post them. I hope you enjoy them. I took a bunch more, but they are blurry and not very good. So the few that turned out, I'm posting. She is hard to take pictures of because she is so fast, I can't keep up with the camera. My camera is pretty slow. It's an older type, so it's not as fast as it could be.

I best be going now, I have to get ready for work.

Thank you for continued concerns for Asia and the well wishes, I appreciate it so much!!! Your all very dear in my heart!

Did Bonny have her foal yet? I haven't had time to check.

Take care,
Marilyn

Opps, I forgot to post the pictures. lol

(Message edited by marilyn_l on August 05, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: Asia looks great! You've done a remarkable job! So glad to hear that things are progressing along so well. Is there any specific biological reason why your TB won't settle? We may need to talk. *SMILE* You know I like my TB's!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Asia looks great! Your sure doing something right. Really enjoyed the pics
Thanks
Linda

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
She looks great!!! You must be so proud of her. I am sorry to hear that your mares didn't get bred. It can be so frustrating.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you girls! She is so precious to us. We're having a ball with her!

Bobbi, according to the Equine Reproduction Specialist, she says there is no apparent reason Marq should not settle, but she's tried everything and nothing seems to work. She has had many infections, we clear them up and she gets something else. She is caslicked, so I not sure what to think.

If your interested in her, my email address is mlemke@hamstragroup.com. We need to have her gone before winter sets in. If you'd like, I could send you pictures. You may have seen her on here before, but if you didn't I can send you some.

She is 16.2 hands and as far as I know, has never been lame. She is a dark bay with one white sock in the back leg and a beautiful white blaze on her face. When people look at her, they always remark how gorgeous she is. She has also been approved for the Oldenburg registry. Not that that means anything if she doesn't settle.

She has beautiful legs and feet.

Let me know, Marilyn

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~Thanks for the Asia fix! She looks GREAT! WEll done! She is filling out nicely. My filly battled the loose poops for 12 weeks...lots of pepto bismo....never found out why and then it suddenly stopped..so I hope that for you. The stopping that is :-) Bummer about the other two mares, I know how badly you wanted them bred. Hopefully you will be able to place Marq and Uh-O settles next year. Do you still have your two breedings from the stallion you were trying? Perhaps you can lease a mare to breed? Either way you have Asia and she is going to keep you very busy for the next couple of years! Love, Jan

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: I will email you and have you send pictures...maybe she would like my boy better and settle...who knows...then you can watch her foal watch on here with me

Of course, this is going to take some convincing my husband...LOL...

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, Asia looks wonderful!! She is one gorgeous filly :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the update Marilyn. Asia news is the highlight of my day as my girls are doing nothing

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asia is the cat's meow. Dora would be proud! What am I saying? She is proud. She sure left her in good hands and I bet there is a special place in the world for Asia!

Sorry you didn't get new foals on the way with your two mares. That would really be disappointing I think.

Good news with my colt's behavior of running up on people. I took the suggestion of someone (Jennie? Marilyn?) Sorry, I cannot find the post., although I scrolled, I cannot remember, but if you will speak up if you see this, I can thank-you personally.

The suggestion was to run right at him, with arms flailing and yelling Auggghhhh or some such noise. Well, it worked! I did it ONE time and he turned right around and hid under his mama's tail so fast! Well, not really under her tail, but it sounded better than "apron."

Anyway, I am grateful. What a difference it made! He walks up to me like a perfect gentleman now. And oddly enough, he isn't bothering mama so much either and I was after him that day to stop bad behavior with her too. But maybe she just had enough and did something on her own.

At any rate, he is a much better colt, just from that one time. So for any of you who are struggling with this behavior, I highly recommend that approach.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, Asia is stunning! and she looks happy too. I am glad you are enjoying her. Do you think she will gray out?. I told you already but I loooove her neck, please tell Mark that riding her would be like cheating: in the picture Simon says she is doing a collected extended trot already!!!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant Mike, I suck with names, sorry I did mean to confuse your husband and your mare..

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: *Smile* Glad your boy learned his lesson. I've always used this type of behavior where you just go after them like a horse would and it is amazing how fast they turn tail and hunker up to momma. But, it does work, and now he thinks you're bigger than him. You've won battle number one. JJ, my little stinker foal, was really aggressive and after just a few times of putting him in his place, he is an absolute loveable doll now and quite a gentleman. I'm proud of you!!!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for the Asia compliments. She is a cutie pie. I will let you know how tall she is and how much she weighs this weekend. She's such a porker! lol

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ I'm glad hes behaving just dont take even a little bit of disrespect from him now and he should stay pretty well behaved.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 681
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi and Jennie, thanks again for the suggestions! I am taking them to heart!

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is our little girl doing, Marilyn?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~we miss you! How is Asia? Thanks Jennifer for thinking of her!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi girls, I miss you too. I don't mean to ignore you and not post, I'm just so busy with work, home and barn chores, I don't have much free time. Last night I went to bed at 8:00 pm because I'm exhausted most times, it felt so good to do that. I feel somewhat rested today, it feels good!

Asia's is doing fine, her diarriah is finally getting better. She does well for awhile and then it's "look out from behind" and then run. lol We started feeding her alfalfa/timothy cubes and dilute it in water. She seems to like that alright and I think that's what is making her poops so much better. I know enough about the poop talk. lol

Last weekend she was 10.3 hands and 187 lbs. She has kind of a pot belly, but I was told that this is not uncommon for a orphin milk fed foal. Anyway, her front legs are still outward, that concerns me. I should take a picture of that and show you, so you can tell me weither it's normal or not after a month old. I tried to find out on the internet, but couldn't really find anything about that.

Next month are the Hosteiner approvals in Michigan, so I guess we'll find out then what they think of Asia. I hope her legs straighten out more by then. I worry about trailering her for the 4 1/2 hours, but maybe by then she'll be ready to travel. What do you girls think? Do you think I can trailer a 2 month old foal for that distance safely? I'm bringing her companion with Asia, so she'll feel more at ease.

Other than the diarriah, she's doing fine. She can be a handful though, especially when I bring the milk in the stall. She is right there at the door and refuses to move, her head goes straight into the bucket. The problem is the lady who feeds her during the day, holds the bucket for her at the door, I don't. I try and make her keep her distance while I put the bucket on the holder. She gets so pissed off at me, so last night she tried to strike me with her front foot. I kicked her straight away and she turned so kick me with her back legs and decided against it. She is a challenge. I'd hate to have a kicking contest, because she'd win.

Her muzzle is starting to shed and it's a dark color. I'm just not sure where she's going with her color. She looks like a black, brownish color and it's got me confused. I don't care really what color she ends up. I wanted a grey at first, but with her nice blaze and partial white socks in the back, it looks cute. So if she turns chestnut, I'm fine with that.

How's everyone doing? I'm hoping soon we'll get to have Asia back on Marestare so you can see what she looks like now. I'll ask Mike when we can set it up so we can have her on there for an hour or so.

Thank you very much for thinking of our little Asia! Take care girls and God bless you all.

Marilyn

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn thanks for the update. You are taking such a good care of her, it must be exausting!
Regarding her knees, I think I saw what you meant in the last pictures you posted and that is exaclty what Calfuīs filly friend has, she with no care whatsoever cause she was never handled nor had a farrier visit totally straighten out. sorry I am tired my english is awfull today, hope you understand me. i will see if i can get a picture of that filly so yuo see if that is what Asia has, and if it is I can show you a picture of that filly now.
hope you can get some rest.
mariana

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I found a picture of that filly her front knees are over her legs,she is the one on the left.
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/DSC01582.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Mariana, I really appreciate your imput and the pictures.

Asia is over the knee somewhat, but her front feet toe out and I'm more concerned about that. I told Mike for some time now that Asia needs to have corrective trimming, but his response was that she'll grow out of it. I don't agree, so I put a call to my vet yesterday. Since he won't come to our place because it's so far he asked that we send him some pictures of her front legs and feet. He said he'll take a look and get back to me as far as what he thinks needs to be done.

He's the only vet around here that I value his opinion. I hope it's not too late to do some corrective trimming. Gosh, there's always something to worry about. I will let you know what he says.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn~I looked at the pictures again and I don't think she looks that bad...do you like your shoer? maybe have him come and take a look too and give a little trim....I think in 2006 there was somebody who had a foal on here, Jericho, that was like Asia, very slightly over the knees and she used some kind of rub on the knees too....Why don't you post a new thread with Asia over the knees and see what kind of responses you get. She moves very nicely but I like you would be concerned about getting whatever could be done as early as possible.

She is too cute!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.prognutrition.com/RejuvenaidePowder.htm

It was Kris Moos that had a colt that was over the knees a bit...

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan, should I be worrying about the over the knee more than the toeing out? I thought her over the knee wasn't that big of a concern since it didn't seem too bad. Jenni said I should wrap it with an Ace bandage during the day and take it off during the night. So I thought I'd try that.

She's drinking Mare's Milk Plus by Buck Eye products which has all the required vitamins and minerals she needs. She's okay with the nutritional needs. She also gets alfalfa/timothy cubes that are soaked and 1 lb. grain daily. She's drinking water too finally! Yea!!!

Mike is going to trim her this weekend, so this will definately help.

Thank you Jan for your imput and information regarding Rejuvenaide, but I think nutritionally, she's doing fine

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay...I guess I was up too late watching the Olympics! It is brutally night after night :-) Viewing should be a sport in and of itself.

Toeing out should be helped alot with constant trimming...

I forgot that Mike is a farrier :-) You have it all under control

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad Mike is going to do corrective trimming, good to have the farrier at home!. Calfu is also on corrective trimming, he is steping too high on his front feet -cub feet?-, one has corrected now but not the other. It seems there is always a reason to worry with these little beasties...

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I thought I'd catch you up on Asia.

I'm still dealing with Asia's front legs being toed out and a little over the knees. We've done some farrier work ourselves on him, but we need to get a farrier who's had experience with this sort of thing. We've tried calling one that was suggested by our vet, but he doesn't return calls. We have another farrier that lives 2 hours away that won't come out this far, so we'll have to trailer Asia to his place. We will hopefully get that done this week.

Asia had her first trailer ride this past weekend. We put the companion mare in first and then we put Asia in the trailer. Once we got her in the trailer (an hour long process) we went for a little ride. Then came home, took her out and this time offered her milk and she jumped right in. We were estatic until we took her out and tried again, then it was like she decided, I'm not thirsty any more so no need to go back in the trailer. Ugggg!!!! After another 15 minutes she went back in and off we went on another trailer ride. We stopped at some friend's house and talked while she stayed in the trailer. Once she's in she's great, it's getting her in that really is frustrating.

When she was younger, she went in with little trouble, for some reason she developed mule legs. She plants those feet and there is not moving them. Gee whiz... Hopefully she'll get better the more she does it.

She is still drinking milk, but the nutritionalist wants to slowly get her off the milk. Today Mike will hopefully get in touch with her and see what we're to do next. She doesn't eat a whole lot of hay and eats grain great one time and then not much the next, so I'm thinking once she's getting less milk that would change.

She is now about 235 lbs and a little over 11 hands tall. She seems to be dark around her eyes with her shedding, so I think she'll turn grey eventually and not chestnut. Yea!!!

Yesterday we had her in a different pasture for a little variety and there were logs out there, which she throughly enjoyed jumping over. It was really cute!

Mike and I are exhausted most of the time, but we're having a ball with her, she cracks us up. She has to be in your path of work every time, just like a dog. She loves to be scratched and loved on... she sure is something.

I hope to get more pictures on here in a few days. I hope all of you are doing well.

God bless, Marilyn

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always look forward to updates on Asia! I can't wait to see some new pictures!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, she is getting to be a big girl. Good to hear she is doing so well.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really upset with farriers right now. My vet recommended a farrier to help with Asia's special needs. We've called now for two weeks and he won't return a call. We know another farrier that lives 2 hours away and called him. He called back and when Mike said we lived two hours from him, he was very hesitant. Now I don't blame him for not wanting to drive this distance, but when he said he'll call back and didn't, this makes me upset. Don't say you'll do something and then blow us off. Poor Asia's feet need help and the longer we wait the worse off she'll be.

So Mike and the vet are going to attempt this feat themselves. Mike is going to the farrier store and pick up the product to build up the hoof (I forgot what it's called) and tomorrow night we're taking Asia to the vet's office and the vet is going to sedate her and both he and Mike are going to work on her feet. I would be more comfortable having an experienced farrier that works with foals, do the job, but when you can't get them to return a call, we don't have any other alternative.

If it sounds like I'm pi--ed off, I really am. I called the one farrier this morning, that we've been leaving messages with for two weeks, and left a not so nice message. I'm done with him... grrrrr...

I would hate to see Asia have toed out feet in front for the rest of her life, when this condition can be corrected early on.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed this works.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~I am so sorry that you keep hitting road blocks! Asia sounds like she is thriving but I hear your frustration as you are trying to do the best by her. What is up with people's work ethic any more? I feel very blessed to live where there are several good farriers very close by. The vet should know what they are doing....Warm hugs and prayers for it all to go smoothly.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your well wishes Jan. I'm nervous about Asia's first real trailer ride to the vet's office today. I hope all goes well.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sending you positive thoughts..I know she will do great!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asia has the best parents around with you and Mike I'm sure she'll do great and have perfect straight legs to show for it. prayers and hugs.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad to hear she is doing well, and sad to hear those farriers wont be responsable enough to return a phone call!. I am sure Mike and your vet will do a great job, keep us posted and good luck on the ride.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an awesome day it was yesterday!

It could not have been a better trip or vet visit. She pretty much hopped in the trailer when we were ready to go. We checked on her a couple of times during the 50 minute trip and she was not nervous a bit and did an awesome job traveling. We got there, the vet put her under, we got the lift done on only one of her front feet because the vet said the other one is now in pretty good shape.

The vet was very impressed with her growth and weight. He said she didnít show any signs or didnít look a bit like sheís an orphan baby. He said they normally have a pot belly and other signs of being bottle fed (so to speak) and she showed none of these. He said she was a big girl for her age and thought she was well put together. He also said weíre doing a great job with her. So I was happy to hear all this.

When they finished with her, we waited until she got up and then let her walk around some to wake up. I fed her and off we went to go back home. She didnít want to get out of the trailer but after a bit (and with me pushing from behind) she finally decided to jump out. She ate her grain and drank her milk and it was big time nap time. J

I couldn't have been more proud of her!

Thank you very much everyone for your support, it means the world to me.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea Marilyn~ So glad to hear that it all went well and you were validated by the vet! Give Asia a special squeeze from me. I am going to do that grey test on Gracie...can't wait to see if she will grey out or not I am not too patient!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan, she's doing great. I gave her a bath yesterday and she was so good. I just dropped the lead rope and she stood there. I think she liked the scrubbing action. She loves to be scratched so it was like heaven. She'd curl her lips and stretch her neck out. She loved it. I'm so lucky!

So you're going to do the test also huh... Let me know what the results are, I'm very curious. How's Gracie doing? She's more than a year old now, isn't she? I would love to see pictures of her if you have time.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 731
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I haven't checked on this thread in awhile. I am so glad to hear Asia is doing so well in a number of ways. Obviously you've been doing a GREAT job!!

I think if any of us ever is put in the position of raising an orphan, we can get on this link and learn from you.

I think Dora is watching over her little filly and walks with her in the trailer and so on. I continue to wish you strength and confidence in raising this special filly.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on Asia. She is now 300 lbs and we're in the process of slowly weaning her off the milk per the equine nutritionalist. She's eating her grain with a hearty appetite and is eating her hay better than before, not great but better. She's on 3 lbs of grain a day now and still 5 gal of milk that is less concentrated.

Asia loves to run and kick and basically make a real nuisence out of herself come stall cleaning time. I have to ban her from the stall while I'm cleaning now. She loves to rub on me which I don't allow. I think she's in the process of shedding, so she's itching herself on the fence, me or whatever else is available. She looks rather yucky right now. She has the raccoon look to her.

Last night we had to put another wedge on one of her hooves and this time we didn't have any drugs to knock her out. Let me tell you, that was a job and a half. She has almost zero patience and the only way we could get her to hold still for a couple of minutes at a time is to feed her grain, milk and whatever else I could come up with. But, she's looking very good right now and it's only a slight outward appearance. L

After a good rain the other day, Asia took off running and showing off, slipped while turning and skid on her side for about 10 feet. It scared me to death, but she got up, looked around to see if anyone seen her at that embarrasing moment (lol) and took off running again. I checked her over and she seemed alright except for an area where her coat was erased off her and now is just skin. What am I to do? lol

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you've got a healthy little foal! SHe is going to be the pride of your life.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone have just been checking in from time to time, so glad Asia is doing good and keeping you busy.

But can someone link me to the post on what happened to Dora, I'd appreciate it.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it is in the July Foalwatch thread. Marilyn's beloved mare Dora died during delivery and Mike and her have valiantly raised sweet little Asia :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 746
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: You have done a great job! Poor Asia isn't any different than my babies...LOL...they don't much care for hay either. They do great on pasture grass but have decided that hay is a tasteless commodity offered by H & H Farms for all the "others" and not the princes and princess of the group. LOL!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Asia really pissed me off yesterday. I was coming in her stall with the bucket of milk and she ran up to me and when I pushed her back, she got real upset and got me in the corner somehow and tried to double barrel me, but missed, thank God! Then she took off. I left the stall, picked up my plastic wiffle bat and went back in with the milk and she did the same thing, but this time I was ready and gave her two good butt smacks and she took off, but not without kicking back on the way out.

When she came back in, I held up the bat and told her to stop, she stopped dead in her tracks. Then I put the bat down and she walked calming up to me, so I stepped aside and let her drink.

I know I'll probably hear a lot of negative reaction on my actions, but I feared for my safety and she's getting worse everyday. So I had to do something of this nature. I just want her respectful of my space.

This morning she was crowding me into the wall, so I put the manure fork between me and her, she turned and was about to double barrel me again, so I put the fork end of the manure fork between her legs as she was leaving and it tripped her and made a noise, which scared her and she ran off. She came back in in a bit and was much nicer and respectful. I hope I don't have to go through too much more of this, but it's hard when you don't have a mother mare to disapline her baby, so it's up to me. I'm just trying to do the best I know how.

Waving my hands or kicking her just makes her that much more aggressive, so I stopped doing that. I'm going to watch Clinton Anderson's tape on foal ground work this weekend and I'll work on that and hope that helps. I hate to smack her with the plastic bat.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

}Hey Marilyn...remember you are her "mom" and if you watch mares and foals the foal will always "test" "test" "test" and you do need to put her in her place in your "herd"....my mare would bite her baby, snake head them, chase them, and even threaten to kick to discipline. Not a bad idea to carry a crop in your hand to use as an safe extension of your arm. When my babies would crowd I would even pinch them in the neck or flank, butt to tell them hey move over out of my space.... she comes into you and it is disrespectful I would send her away...and reward her with lots of pats and praise when she comes in nice...isn't mothering a joy...you forget about all the repetitive discipline it takes to raise a little one. Stay strong!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right! The crop would be much easier to hold on to while I'm working. I like the pinching thing you do, I'll have to try that. When she comes up to me and rubs on me like a cat, I know all she wants me to do is give her a scratch, but that leads to overcrowding my area. I would push her away, then she'll turn her butt at me and try and kick. She's not respecting me right now, so I need to find someway to get her respect.

Asia can be very scary at times, I hope I don't end up in the hospital because of her. I need eyes behind my head. lol

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn put her in the roundpen and demand her respet like you would from a big horse. Im with ya teach her manners now before she is dangerous.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little round pen work is okay..not to much on those young legs...The biggest thing to overcome is the fear of them not being attached if you pop them or make them back off but that is our human thinking and they are herd animals and you have to think like a head of a herd...she will understand being driven off for bad behavior because another horse will not tolerate it. You need to be at the top of the pecking order not below her....They learn by repetition so really important to try and react instantly and then go about your business...no game here just a no with a pop and then back to racking etc. she may sulk a bit but you want her brain engaged thinking about what she is doing...when I lead my little ones I carry a crop to help them learn to stay off me and not to go in front...sort of like teaching a dog to heal I can stop and they put on the breaks and turn an eye to me to see what is next if not a quick pop across the chest...unfortunately you have to do double duty :-(

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your help girls. The hard part is training Mike not to tease her. He'll do things to get her pissed off and then laugh when she reacts. He's treating her like she's a dog and a playmate and not a horse. I'm constantly telling him to stop it before she hurts someone. He's starting to understand some now that I'm the brunt of her mischiveness. She goes after him too but Mike seems to handle her better than I. She will kick out at him and he'll just push her away and she goes, with me, it's a challenge. Hmmmm...

She is getting big fast right now. Her withers are up to my chest right now. She's as big as my 6 month of Holsteiner colt was and she's only 2 months old. Me thinks she's going to be a very big girl.
Gosh I wish Dora were here, she'd put her in her place.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep at it Marilyn she knows she has you intimidated but you will win I have faith in you!! Id definately carry a crop at all times.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nova went through spells of this also. Kinda scared me too!!! I did pop him with a crop. I pushed and said uh, uh in a loud low voice. I chased him off and backed him up several times from his bucket just to let him know I was in charge of his food . This has worked the best-- I halter him, tie him to a post, put the others in their stalls, pour their buckets, then untie Nova, back him, then walk him to his bucket. If he gets in a hurry and puts back his ears , I stop him , back him and wait till his ears go forward, then walk him again. I'm trying to always make him face me when he sees me. Better not turn his butt to me. I have swung the lead rope at his butt some, kind of like the gurus do in the round pen. Hope it gets better for you. Nova gets better then looks like he thinks about doing it again. The pushing while leading is going better. We are figure eighting around some buckets and trying to learn to trot when I trot.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn- Are you taking her to inspection?

She's Holsteiner right?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay you are doing great with Nova! Lots of good pointers, thank you

Samantha, yes she's a Holsteiner, and we're taking her to the Michigan site approvals on September 23rd. It's a little over a week now, I hope she does well with the long trailer ride and the inspection.

Yesterday after the downpours of rain, I put on my boots (that leak I found out) and went walking in the 6 to 8 inches of water. I called out to Asia to follow me and after a couple of minutes, she walked in with me. She decided she didn't mind the water too much and started trotting and cantering in it. I wish I had a video of it because she was flagging her tail and strutted her stuff. What a beautiful site to see this when they do that. I hope she does this at the approvals, she was gorgeous!

I watched some foal work videos of Clinton Anderson's and worked with Asia. It did a ton of good. She is much more respectful of my space. So I'll keep doing more of that. :-)

This morning she's very lathargic, I hope she's feeling alright. I wish I were home today and not working, so I can keep an eye on her... Work sucks!!!!! lol

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck at inspection :-)

I just love inspections, always so much fun lol

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 749
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: You are doing a great job. Jan is soooo right about getting that whole respect down and not letting our "human brain emotions" enter the picture. The herd will discipline pretty harshly when necessary. I like the whiffle bat...not a bad idea actually. I also like that you are discipling her in her everyday setting. Round pens are great tools but you have to be able to trust her outside of that area in any environment so kudos to you. I got my gelding as a 3 year-old and the only "riding" he had been exposed to was in a round pen at that point. He did great as long as you were in a round pen, he knew what to do, but take him out of the round pen in a big field and it was like he had no idea how to go in a straight line or turn. He was a big ole scaredy cat outside of the familiar round pen area.

Just be careful...don't put yourselve in a compromising situation because you are right, you can get hurt bad. I think once you get past this little stage, you'll be fine. You've been a marvelous surrogate mother!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Samantha, I hope she does well. Bobbi thank you for the vote of confidence with Asia. She is a pistol and she's not an easy foal to deal with at times, but I love her so much!!! After our little meeting of the minds, she has been soooo much better.

I find your imput on the round pen very interesting Bobby.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 754
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: I have a well respected trainer in my area that I consult with on occassion when I've run out of ideas on how to deal with a situation. It was really funny because we debated the whole "round pen" popularity for training. He has convinced me that round pens should be used as just ONE of the tools of training and feels that a great deal of people use it as the ONLY tool for training, which leaves a horse not knowing what to do outside of that tool. The convincing happened when I purchased my gelding and had the dilemma that I mentioned. LOL! To get him over his "scaredy cat" reaction outside of the round pen, his guidance to me was to re-teach him how to trust humans outside of the round pen. It was important that my horse learned to trust, and ultimately respect me that I would keep him safe, by starting ground work all over again. He had me lay a plastic tarp on the ground and work with him to "cross the tarp" with me using nothing but the halter and lead. It took time. The break through was when he first put a foot on it. And that's where we stayed until he relaxed. The next time, it was two front feet, and so on until he walked across it with me without fear. Then we moved to crossing it while I was on his back. It was quite amazing how well it worked because going forward, water, ditches, road tops, etc were never an issue. Even if he was hesitant, we just worked on push and relax. Now he knows, I won't take him somewhere or ask him to do something where he will get hurt. Interesting. Now, he's bored in a round pen. Hahahaha!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi I agree the round pen is only one tool of many it is however where I lay my foundation. Using the join up method I start by teaching a horse to run for me not from me once they do this its much eassier to get the point across. Then I will lay a tarp across part of my round pen leaving enough space that if the horse really wants to it can go between me and the tarp. I lunge them with out a line until they are stepping on and over the tarp no issue then i ask for the stop and turn on the tarp when that dont bother them ill rub them all over with it lay it across their back and pull it over their heads and between their legs or off their butts within a lesson or 2 loud noises and flappy things just arent an issue. After this I take them out and have them walk over the tarp and do the same things with it only with them on a lead line. Once I have the horses respect and a good join up very little time is spent in the roundpen. Most horses I train only see one or two rides in the roundpen as part of their training.
Marilyn you are doing great with her. How tall is she now.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 746
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, you are doing fine with Asia. My colt was awful for awhile. He would run up on me and threaten to rear. He would threaten to "double barrel" me and a few times did, but missed. He would constantly try to bite me and he would push at me. It was miserable being intimidated by the little runt, that wasn't really such a runt at 200-300 lbs.

Anyway, I started carrying a stick, then a crop. I've hit him several times and have chased him all over the paddock making animal like growly sounds that I'm sure cause the neighbors to forbade their children to have any contact with me.

It has finally paid off and finally, Jewel has been disciplining as well. I was in the pasture with him yesterday (as I am everyday) and was rubbing him all over and realizing that I haven't had a problem for a few weeks now with any of his bad behavior (except when he tries to keep me from taking mama away from him-he wants to nurse). It was like, Wow! He's a pretty descent colt now.

So Marilyn, you just keep on doing what you're doing and it will get better! Hang in there. The hardest part is almost over!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cjskip, that sure makes me feel good there's hope she'll be more respectful later on. She was a pistal this weekend. She kicked Mike in the leg and really hurt him. But after a brief discussion, she understood this is not the thing to do. Well, at least until she forgets and tries it again.

We are going to leave in a couple of hours for Michigan for the approvals. I hope she cooperates. We put a camera in the trailer so we can watch her while we're going down the road. This will releave a great deal of anxioity for me. Hmmm... maybe it'll create more, but I don't think so.

I pray she shows well and the judges like her. I'll let you all know when we get back, how she did. Hey, I almost forgot. We're in the process of switching to DSL and soon we'll back on Marestare for those whose interested to see how Asia looks now, you may even witness one of her little hissy fits. lol

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~Fingers and toes crossed as you take "sweet" Asia to approvals....Can't wait to hear a report back!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan, I think your fingers and toes did the trick lol... We had an awesome awesome day today!!! First of all Asia and Tawna had a safe trip both ways, which is a load off of my mind.

Second of all Asia did very very well at the approvals. She got a premium status at the approvals and she is now wearing the holsteiner brand. This is so much more than I had ever hoped and prayed for. She was spectacular at the show!!! I have the video of her at the approvals and if I can figure out how to get them on photobucket, you'll be able to see it. I'm so excited, I could explode!!!

Tawna was spectacular as well. We installed a camera in the horse trailer and watched them both travel. Asia would get tired and rest her head over Tawna's back. What can I say, but thank the Lord for Tawna and my friend and neighbor for letting us use her wonderful mare!

God bless,

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn
Isnt this all you ever hoped for! Dora made this possible for Mike and yourself!

I'm so proud of Asia and "YOU" that little girl has made you reach and stretch more than you ever have probably? This has only made you a better in tuned horse lover and Momma! All my heart goes out to you and Asia.

As for us Spring and Summer we're getting along just great! ALthough this whole pregnacy thing has taken a tole on My Spring, I can see her age now where before I couldnt. So at this point I'm bless that she has allowed me to continue to love her and be loved by her!

Tell Aisa how proud we all are of her!

Give a huge hug to Mike and Yourself!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YIPEE!!!! I am so Proud of Asia and you and Mike....I would love to see it, hope you can figure out photobucket. and of course she is Premium she has had only the best love and care! What a tribute to Dora and your stud selection...again another big WHOO HOO!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie~ So glad to see you post...How about a Summer fix? Would love to see pictures. Spring will recover it will just take some time. My mare is 17 and this last preganancy really pulled her down and my filly is now 14 months old and she is just now back up to weight and I am conditioning her regularly again. Are you getting ready to wean yet?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awsome news so proud of Asia and you and Mike both. You know shes awsome if she made premium with her legs not quite right. Share a bucket of icecream with her!!! Tawna might like a bite too! lol

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!!!!!! I just knew little Asia would do well, she's a gorgeous girl!!!! Dora I'm sure is looking down very proud of her baby too. :-)

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay!!! Congratulations Marilyn!

Was there a pro photographer there that got any pix, or do you have any?

I'm so happy that she went Premium!

Dora would be so proud :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there! Thank you everyone for your cheers and congrats, you don't know how much it means to me.

Dora would be proud. I'm still on cloud nine with Asia. I've waited 10 years for this moment and I can't believe we finally got a Holsteiner and a premium no less! God's been good to us, no doubt.

I tried to put the video on here but it was too large to do it, so I'm sorry, I won't be able to show you unless someone can direct me to a better way. I hope so!

Thanks again all of you, for your support of Mike and myself and lets not forget little Asia. :-)

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lauri, I bet Spring will recover from the pregnancy and foal. My mare was 18 when she foaled and at weaning time I was blaming myself for getting her pregnant -well it was not exaclty me if you know what I mean..- because she looked like she aged years in a few months.
Six month later she has recovered so well, she will be 20 in a month and she acts and looks like a young mare!.

Congratulations Marilyn!!! I am so very happy for you amd Mike, I think it is so great when your efforts and good choices are rewarded by an outside party. Congratulations again!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Often times great things come from horrible situations....and I knew that Asia would be very special. What a great job you've done with her. You should be very, very proud.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I echo everyone's sentiments. Congrations on a job well done!

Laurie, I don't remember; did you breed Spring? I hope she gets stronger. I know it is harder on the mares as they age. I think my mare is okay for at least another year. I guess we just have to evaluate and go from there, huh? Are you doing anything special for her, to boost her up? I'm sure you are-just wondering. My girl seems fine. No weight loss-always have the opposite problem.

I'm hoping she'll bounce back. Sending those vibes her way!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn! I'm so proud of you guys and your beautiful girl. How special is that! I knew she was something, long elegant legs and such a gracefulness to her. I know you are so proud. I take my boy to his inspection on October 4th. We are excited to see how it goes. I'm not expecting top of the line or anything, cause I know he doesn't really have all the blood for that, but we think he's kinda special. I'll let everyone know how it goes when we get back. Great job on Asia! Kim

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay...Kim I am sending good vibes your way..so excited for you. and don't short change your guy, he is beautiful and moves great! Post us the great results! Take pictures! Good luck!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Kim, we've had some very good luck with her, that's for sure. What kind of inspection is your boy going to? I don't know anything about Pintos or the association. What do they judge them for? I'm very curious how other organizations judge.

For Asia's age, they judge on confirmation and their movement. After that then Asia has to go back and get judged for the breeding certificate at about 3 years of age and it's much more extensive.

I'm sure he'll do very well for you. I'll send you good luck vibes.... ya feeling em??? lol Seriously, good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, he's going for his American Warmblood Society inspection. I'm guessing they judge about the same as yours. Top honors get free branding too. He will be shown at walk/trot in hand then at liberty. Since he's not weaned yet, we're taking Sweetie along too. Last night I had him out of paddock walking around, left mamma in, he got so excited, raised his tail straight up, pranced around and really curved his beautiful neck and look gorgeous...any luck I'll get that at the inspection? He's already registred with Friesian Sporthouse Assoc. and this is the secondary registration. Unfortunatly, he can't be registered with Pinto Horse Assn or AQHA, because of his friesian blood. But no matter, we love him anyway! :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How exciting for you Kim! I'm sure he's going to do fantastic, he's a very nice looking boy and well put together. Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck again!!! I'll keep toes and fingers crossed. When is the approvals? I would like to know so I can say an extra prayer for you on that day.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

October 4th...need all the prayers we can get! Going down on the 3rd, spending night and then first thing in am! Yippee :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, I'm very excited for you. I just know he'll do extremely well for you! Good luck, I'll say a prayer the trip goes without incident and he'll do you proud, which I have no doubt he will. :-)

Erica
Neonate
Username: America44

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn omg asia is looking so big! (took me forever to find the pics of her though lol (:-) She is such a beautiful little girl! she knows how to strut her stuff thats for sure (;
Kim i will pray that everything thing goes well with him, but its not like you need it. He will do fine! he is a remarkable little boy!
BLAH! who else is dreading the winter coming? Good news is that my dads friend from work is going to still take me riding! She knows this indoor place where we can go. YEA! oh and i got to take sandy on my first trail ride, so happy! and im teaching her to pole bend and barrel race, but i think she was a pole bending horse at sometime, cause she already new the pattern. lol
Well i wish every one a safe, and healthy winter!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Erica: Guess you've been busy. Thanks for the support for our little man. We are getting so excited..can't believe time is already here. We're going to camp in our trailer at the inspection site near the stalls...we don't have a living quarter trailer, just a gooseneck with a huge tack room, so we will enjoy the fall weather, otherwise, we'd be in a sauna here in florida. We're gonna make is a fun trip for all of us! I cannot wait to post pix, I hope my new camera gets here before we leave, cause the other one broke....(hmmmf)...anyway, getting exciting around here :-) Kim

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How nice to hear from you Erica! Thank you for the nice compliments. She is getting so big, I can't believe she's coming on 3 months already.

Good luck Kim on the approvals! Please let us know how it goes for your boy.

Hey, I have Asia's approval on "You Tube", if anyone would like to see it. You can find it by searching using the words "Asia's Approval process" I hope you enjoy it.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~just watched your you tube! Asia looks great! She is huge! What a big girl you have there! Can't believe Mike wore white pants :-)

Congratulations again!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. That's the colors the Holsteiner association requires you wear when presenting your horse. I know, weird hey!

Thank you again Jan. She is now starting to become a dark grey and a little white hairs here and there.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seen your video she just floats when she moves. Here is her link tho so you dont have to search http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHdbyjwGxIk

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: Thanks so much for the video, gives us an idea what to expect. She looks fabulous..how exciting. I have a question, I just rec'd an email from our organizer asking if I wanted a handler and a braider. I wrote back and asked should I? She said since I'm a first timer, I might want to pay the $50.00 and have a professional handler show my foal and have him professionally braided. I am learning how to braid, but I am by far a professional...I still have lots of learning to do...since Sweetie is not being judged I don't see why I would want a handler for her right? Anyone ever experienced this? I'm thinking since I don't know what to expect, why not let the pro's do it, then I can sit back and take pix?

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, did they score more of a breakdow of conformation, or just give the one score for overall?

I love hearing how different breed registries work. It's interesting to me that they only said the score for Movement, and Conformation. Where with Oldenburgs, you get different scores for different parts of the body.

Take a good look at her movement at three months, as I've found that Three Weeks, Three Months, Three Years thing to be extremly true :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, we didn't braid because first of all it would have put undo stress on Asia and also only one was braided and the rest were left to just a good bath. There wasn't much to do with showing the foal, mostly just hold her and try and stay out of the way of the judge's view. Mike didn't do so well in that department. lol So that's why we did it ourselves. I don't know how your approval is, but our's wasn't much to do when it comes to showing a foal. But when it's time to show for the breeding approvals, we will definately pay someone to show them. That is a much tougher job. You also need to be able to run fast along side of them and I can't even do a good jog. lol

Samantha, when approving a foal they only score for overall conformation and movement. When we take her to approve her as breeding stock it's quite different. She gets judged in 7 catagories. They are Type, Topline, front legs, back legs, walk, trot & canter. The old way had to do with gait, impulsion, ect. I forgot the rest.

Starting in 2009 the judging is going to be much tougher scoring, they want to improve the breed even more with stricter guidelines.

I've heard about the 3 weeks, 3 month, 3 year thery, I found that to be true also. So I'm taking Asia and our new mare there when they're 3 years of age for the best possible score.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw yours and it looked pretty cut and dry...maybe this one is different. I told her sure, to the handler...this way I can get good photos...it's worth the $50.00 at this time I think. I have already braided the foal once, getting him ready, so I think he'll be ok and if I can do it, I will, he just doesn't like his forelock done....to much pulling. ha ha. Thanks for the video and your input....I can't believe it's already here...check out some pix I posted of him yesterday in the 2008 pix thread...they are not the best, as he was not giving me much to work with, but I was trying out new camera! HA HA

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, I looked at his pictures and he's beautiful! He has a very nice topline and neck! He has wonderful straight and strong looking legs and nice backend. He should do extremely well. Please keep us informed and take lots of pictures. Does your camera have video? If so you should video it to keep with his files.

You're leaving tomorrow right and showing on Thursday, if my memeory serves me right, is that correct? You are going to have so much fun. I had a blast, I was so nervous and I'm not sure why, but what fun!

Good luck!!!!! I'm very very excited for you. Fingers and toes crossed.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim~YEA your camera came in time. Know that I am thinking and pulling for you! I know your boy will do great!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all...Marilyn, we leave Friday night, inspection early Saturday morning...so look for something saturday evening! LOL

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested, I have Asia on "Marestare" again.
http://www.marestare.com/keystone.php

My grand kids live in a different state and they get a kick watching her, that's why I'm continuing marestare.

I also like to watch her while I'm at work. :-)

Thanks, Marilyn

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn...now we can peek in on her! Getting trailer packed today...we are heading out tomorrow evening...getting excited...keep us in your thoughts! Kim

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim~praying for safe travel and good time for your family...I know Bones will do great!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Kim, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know as soon as you can. He'll be great for you, you'll see! Have a safe trip and have fun!!!

Erica
Neonate
Username: America44

Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim haha yea ive been really busy lately, and now church has started, so even busier! lol. lots of sandy training, school work (getting all A's), friends, and soon to be basketball.

And i will pray that you little guy, does well, and has a great time! YEA! your camra made it! i was getting worried there. we need pictures, and LOTS of details when you get back!
have a safe trip!

Marilyn, im going to start watching little asia on youtube. thaks for posting them.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 06:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, here is an area I really know nothing about-showing! But in reading your posts, I'm excited that some of you are going that route and have already have gotten verification, for lack of a better word, that you have a great foal.

I had wanted to enter Poco in a halter class, but feel so out of my league. Where to go? And I have to pay to have him hauled. But, I am taking him to the college for training (which I will do, with supervision). While there, maybe contacts will form and I'll learn more about the whole thing. He's a nice looking boy. I got him cut the other day.

Anyway, I know that a healthy foal, with good conformation doesn't come by accident (very often) and outstanding ones are the minority by far, so a big Congrats to you, Marilyn. I tried to load the U-tube thing but it wouldn't do it for me.

And good luck Kim! Let us know what happens.

Ericka, glad to hear from you again!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, how proud you must have been when they pronounced her a "premium" foal!!! I was excited for you...you've got a wonderful baby in Asia, and she's definitely doing Dora proud. Good job with her! She's getting so big, and I'm glad she's back on mare stare. Did you know you can broadcast her on the internet without paying monthly? It's easy and free.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we are back...we are so proud...our baby was the youngest there...and he was the biggest of all of them. I couldn't believe it. This was an AWS inspection...so we learned a whole lot, but he did get his red preferred designation...came in 2nd baby out of 5 so we were so happy. His score was 74.45, which 75.00 would have put him in blue preferred...but it's ok...he did great. He didn't walk with a whole lot of impulsion...was a little pokey. Marilyn....question for you..I was telling our braider that the only inspection I'd really ever seen was your holsteiner one that you posted...I told her I thought it was Indiana..I couldn't remember where you were from, anyway, she asked me your name...I told her...she said I think I know her...I think I sold her a mare...her first name is Lisa...she was also our handler...then when we talked more, I think she said she sold you Marque? IS this bizarre of what? Do you think that is possible? She kept telling us she was like the #1 breeder around, etc. She seemed to know what she was talking about....anyway, we have a shiney new red ribbon and once I figure out how to read the CD with all the wonderful pictures I bought, I'd love to share them...how do you read the cd???

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kim, go to "my computer"...click on the cd drive (usually D: or E:-)....drag and drop the files to your desktop....OR, upload them to photobucket from the cd location

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try that Diana...in the meantime, look under 2008 foal pix...I posted some that I took....he was such a good boy! Thanks :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture lady now told me she put them on a DVD...does that make a difference...last time someone did that for me, I had to take them to walgreens, have the read the disc and then put them on a picture cd for me...so maybe I'll have to do that...grrrr

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, congratulations, that is fantastic! I'm so happy he did so well for you, I would be so proud too. Good job!!!

Lisa is the one who sold me Marq, however Marq didn't work out to well for us so we had to sell her. Lisa is a fairly large breeder. Small world she was there and my name came up. Weird...

I hope we can see pictures and video.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn....is that not a small world...your name only came up because I was telling her the only inspection I had ever seen was your holsteiner one, then she asked me your name, as she said she knew all kinds of holsteiner people...is that not weird?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim~Congratulations!!! So happy for you!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Kim!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another bout of bad news. Tawna, Asia's companion is lame again and not doing well at all. Her owner, Jennifer, has decided to put her down on Monday. This breaks my heart, even though I know it's best. She's been having extremely hard times because of founder for the past two years. But even though it's best for Tawna, it makes me so sad to see Asia's only horse friend being put to sleep. I've gotten very close to Tawna and I owe her so much for everything she's been to Asia, mother, companion and friend.

All the other horses at our place would not make a good companion for Asia because they rough house terribly. We've been wanting to purchase a certain filly for a few months now and the owner wasn't sure she wanted to part with her. Then when we were at the approvals, this lady was there and said she will sell us this filly because she needs the money. Isn't it weird how things happen.

Anyway, she's 1 1/2 year old filly which we'll be picking up this Saturday. This filly named Zealand is supposed to be very laid back. This will be Asia's new pasture mate. I've been very worried about this new filly kicking Asia and hurting her, I sure hope this doesn't happen. I'm very concerned about this. I guess we'll find out this coming weekend.

Zealand is in Ohio which is about 5 1/2 hours from our place, so it's not too far. We will be leaving Friday night and returning Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed we have a safe trip and Asia and Zealand get along with each other.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~I am so sorry about Tawna~WOW you can't get a break...hopefully Zealand will be a turning point for you. Please post pictures of her...I am so glad that it has turned out that you can purchase her..I know that is something you were hoping for :-) So hugs of sorrow and hugs for hope for what Zealand brings.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you Jan, I sure do hope it works out for Asia. Pictures of Zealand is on this website. Just click on Lintas U.S. Foals and look for Zealand and there she is.

http://www.misporthorse.com

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn so sorry about Tawna...I know you loved her like your own. Your new filly is stunning...what a looker she is. I know they will get along just great. I'll keep you in my prayers...

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
I am so sorry to hear about Tawnya, but hopefully Zealand will help fill the void.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn...I love her name and I love her looks! She is going to be a grey too! I am sure she has changed since they took that picture so post when you can...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I'm so sorry about Tawna. Poor little Asia-But-as usual, you are thinking ahead about what is best for Asia. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the filly, Zealand, will become a wonderful playmate for Asia, and who knows, maybe she will teach Asia a thing or two about being in a herd? I don;t mean to sound callous, as I hear your concern. I would feel the same way, but perhaps things will really work out for the best in the end?

And what a beauty she is! Wow! What breed is she? And of course, are you planning on breeding her one day? Too soon to say? And if I may be so nosy, how much was she? I'm trying to get a feel for what quality horses are going for.

I do wish you a very safe trip. I hope you can relax a little bit and enjoy the time on the road-some time for yourselves.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a born worrier like my mom, so I tend to over think things. I'm sure things will work out for the best. Thank you for your encouragement and compliments on Zealand. If Zealand isn't the type of filly that is over zealous, she should be fantastic for Asia, maybe teach Asia some manners. lol Asia's gotten much better, but still has some issues. Actually now that I'm thinking of it, Asia will probably enjoy having a younger companion so she can run and play. Tawna was not the run and play type, being 18 years old.

Cjskip, Zealand, like Asia, is a Holsteiner. We intend to use her for jumping, dressage and breeding. She has excellent bloodlines, so her babies should be of nice quality.

I'll take pictures when we get home and post them.

Have a wonderful day girls and thanks again for being there for me. :-)

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been following this thread, but not posting. I did want to say I'm sorry to hear about Tawna and I wish you well with Zealand. Can't wait to see pictures of the two of them together!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jennifer, I appreciate your kind words. I will get pictures this weekend. :-)

There will be much more activity in Asia's pasture, I'm sure. lol

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Marilyn! Zealand is a pretty girl! Congrats on her :-)

I'm so sorry to hear about Tawna :-(

Lovely breeding on Lintas though :-) With all that Ladykiller, and the bit of "C" line, I bet that boy can JUMP!

I really hope that Asia and Zealand get along well, what pretty fillies to have running in your pasture!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, thank you so much! Lintas has had a large number of premium foals in Germany and the US. He must have some strong genes because he's had a major influence on the foals, more than the mares have, it seems, which is normally not the case.

I'm excited about seeing Zealand, I haven't seen her in a few months and they change so much when they're so young.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: Zealand is georgous!

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn- Did you pick Zealand up? How is she doing?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Samantha, I missed this one. Yes, we picked her up and Asia and her are the best buds! At first Asia was terrified and ran away from her which caused Zealand to follow her that much faster. Once they did get together Asia kicked at her a few times, connected a few times and that was pretty much it. Asia is pretty much the boss, but Zealand is fine with that.

Zealand is more than I hoped for, I'm so fortunate to find her! I think she's going to make an awesome hunter jumper. We're thinking of taking her to a show this next weekend to show her in hand. We don't know much about it, so we're going to check on it and hopefully go ahead and go to the show this coming weekend. We're really not show people, but I think it's important if we're going to start breeding for hunter jumpers.

Thanks for asking Samantha. I need to get a short video of the two fillies together.

Oh I almost forgot, we changed the fence around to give the fillies more room to run and Asia got spooked from a couple of motorcycles doing donuts at the intersection by the fillies. Asia ran into the electric electro braid and got intangled in it. She eventually got untangled and ran in the stall. It took her a while before she had the nerve to come back outside. She was really frightened! But she wasn't hurt. I can't say enough good things about electro braid fencing.

I did put little ribbons on the wire, so it's more visable. I think that will be the last time she does this. At least I hope so!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, by the way, somewhere I read on here about using Foal Aide by Buckeye to help with over the knee problems. I just want to say a BIG thank you! I tried it on Asia and it worked. In less than a week her legs completely straigtened out. I was told by Buckeye to double the dose the first week and then continue with the regular dose for 3 weeks afterwards. It is amazing stuff!!!

I just had to let everyone hear my testamonial because I'm sure it can help any foal with this type of leg problem.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~ So glad to hear that your girls are getting along so well! Great news...I see a the show bug coming your way :-) You should with the quality of your foals!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan, so far so good with the girls. Guess what we've decided to do for Uh-O who has the windswept back leg... we taking her to the Amish and they're going to train her to pull a buggie. lol...

We figured that way if she doesn't get pregnant again this next year and we need to sell her, she can be sold as a buggie horse. I hope she likes it. :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn that is excellent news!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 831
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, so glad it is all working out. Must be great to have a young horse for Asia to boss around! Maybe she'll quit trying to boss her two legged herd members! HaHa.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!!! Asia is getting much better around her two legged herd members. lol!!! She is still pushy but hasn't tried to kick in a long while. Thank God!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn....how are the girls getting along together?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, they are like two peas in a pod. They adore each other until Asia has her grain in front of her, then look out Zealand. lol... Asia loves her food and doesn't like to share her grain. Hay is fine to share, just not the grain. :-)

Thank you for asking.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great...after the long long year you had it's nice to have some hope for the future when you look out into your pasture. Are you planning on breeding anything this upcoming year or like me taking a little time off to recover vet $ :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 992
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: So glad your "kiddos" are still doing so well together! You sure had a tough foaling season this year with fantastic results!

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! So happy for you Marilyn!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks ladies! Jan, this next spring we're planning of trying to get Uh-O pregnant. We're using a different stallion this time per the equine repro. vet. If Uh-O doesn't get pregnant this time around, then we have no choice but to find her a good home to take her in. That's why were taking Uh-O to Amish school to learn to pull a cart, buggy or whatever they're called. :-) so she'd have some value of sorts.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I'd share photos of Asia after almost a year after she was born and lost her mom. I put it on this thread in case you wanted to read her history for those of you who may have forgotten or didn't know her history.

It doesn't really explain how her mom died here, so I'll explain. The mare died from prolapsed intestines. I didn't witness the birth and when we got to the stall the mom was in shock and in bad shape, she had to be put down.

It was a scary and trying time but with the help of neighbors and friends, including the wonderful people on this site, she did quite well.

She's quite the girl, with an attitude. lol

I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Marilyn

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 726
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asia has turned out just as expected...beautiful...must be so satisfying after all you went through,,,,

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Terry. She is my special girl and will always have a home with me. :-) How do you separate when there's such a strong bond between us. I will call her name when I come to the barn and she whinnys back and comes running... I love it!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AWWW, Marilyn, I have been wondering about Asia lately! I am soooo glad you posted this. She looks phenomenal, you've done a great job raising her! I know it was tough, but what a good horse mom you are!

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Coloredpony

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marylyn,thanks for showing your little girl to us again,i got tears in my eyes when i was reading and remembering your beloved dora.Asia is so beautiful,you have done a great job!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn She is a beauty for sure! Congrats on a job well done!
I can totally understand your bond with her.After bringing Brock home at about 2 months old and hand raising him from there. It has not been an easy task but the trust bond between foal and "new Mom" is unbelievable. I love the way his eyes light up when he sees me coming. I love how he nickers sweet nothings.
So happy you shared Asia with us!

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I was just thinking about Asia and was going to ask you about updates!

She's absolutely gorgeous, you must be sooooo proud.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all! I'm really touched by all of you. Asia holds a special place in my heart. It was a scary thing to go through, but she made it. :-)

We all would go through great lengths for the health and well being of our equine friends and it's way way worth it!

I appreciate your kind words and the commeradery of this site. Thank you again!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I was also wandering how she was, so thank you for the pictures. She is gorgeous!!!.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the compliment Mariana. We're planning on showing her and Zealand in hand, the end of June at a horse show. I'm not much into horse shows, but my husband says it's important if you plan on selling their foals.

Who knows, maybe it'll be fun...

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 321
Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it is important for raising their value, and you and her did great at the inspection, even dough she was smaller then, so this should be easier. Good luck!.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is rather long, sorry, but I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Well I'll beee!!! lol... We took Asia and Zealand to an FEI dressage in hand show and what an experience! The horses were judged by confirmation and movement.

We got there late around 9:00 on Friday night and bedded them down, feed and water them and went to the hotel.

The next day we fed and groomed them and walked them around the show area. They were relaxed and was perfectly calm, like they did it all their lives.

We then had someone there braid their manes and prettied them up as best we could. Then it was time to take them into the class. Asia was first, while Asia was in the arena, Zealand had a temper tantrum with Asia leaving her there alone. Zealand backed up and reared and feel over backward, then onto her side. She got up and both her back fetlocks were cut and bleeding. You would think that would have scared her straight, but it didn't. A lady came over with a chain shank and told me to use this. I put the chain under her nose, but she kept backing up and rearing. She reared again one more time and back she went up and over backword, just before she feel back I let go of the reins hoping she would collect herself and not fall, nope she fell backword, but no more injury to herself at that fall, But now she's loose. Someone grabbed her reins, and I'm back holding this explosive animal.

Meanwhile Asia is in the arena with tail flagging hearing Zealand calling her and causing all this commotion outside the arena. The judge had Mike do the walk around the triangle 4 times to get Asia to finally calm down and walk and stop the jigging. I'm wondering what's taking Mike so long to show Asia, and this was why...

Anyway, Mike finally finishes and I gladly give him Zealand to take into the arena, just to be told they don't except and animal that bleeding to show. After all that, I didn't want to give up. I asked if we cleaned her up and medicated her, if they would allow her to show. They agreed. We put Asia away and proceded to clean Zealand and medicate her. She wasn't all that bad. Kinda like skinned knees on a child.

So off we go into the arena, Asia in the stall and Zealand by herself. Zealand was horrible, to say the least in the arena. She jigged the whole time, wouldn't track up at a walk and just pranced and jigged the whole time. We got her back to the stall and went back to watch the rest of the class, feeling like complete idiots and just plain embarrested. The individual classes were completed for the weanlings, yearlings, and 3 - 5 year old mares. I think a total of 8 or 9 in all the classes. After they call back the top 2 from each class for the championship,and to our surprise and shock, Asia was called back in the ring. We had to run back to the stall and get her. (We put her away thinking she didn't have a chance) Anyway, she was much better when she went back in and did an awesome trot, (Mike did and awesome run too lol) and afterwards they announced that Asia took second over all. To say we were shocked is an understatement to the nineth degree! Asia is also qualified for the championship at the end of the year. Kinda cool hey!

So all in all, it wsa bitter sweet, Zealand sucked and Asia made up for her sister's tamtrum...

So we're very very proud of our little girl Asia, she was a star! Makes me tear up just thinking about her rough start and now her showing us just how special she really is. In our eyes she's always been our special special girl, now this is another confirmation to the fact. :-) Asia received a 72.6 and Zealand got a 66.5... Both did better than we expected after their performance, especially Zealand, so all in all, we're pleased with both girls results, just not pleased with Zealand's fit she had!

What a day. To end the story, Zealand came out of the trailer with head up and knocked her forehead coming out. She know has a bump on her head to boot! One would never guess that Zealand was at a dressage show, with all her bangs, bruses and bloodshed. one could understand if the horse was at a hunter jumper show or a cross country event, but a dressage show! lol

We had a come to Jesus meeting that night with her backing up and rearing and again this morning. It's going to take a lot of work, but she will be a lifetime believer! lol We have to get this under control before she breaks her back or mine. lol After working with her for an hour or so this morning, she finally put her head down and said, "I give" She licked her lips and rested her head against Mike's midsection and just stood there quietly and sweetly. We're making progress! lol

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great job Marilyn and Mike!

I love to hear other - non show people stories!! I am sooooooo proud of you and your horses.

We did that last year and felt like FISH OUT OF WATER!!!! We (hubby and I) have been around horses all of our lives, showed in 4-H, etc. but this adult breed assoc thing is COMPLETELY different (and I must add - unfortunately - not a very welcoming community).

Great job - love to see "show photos" of the kids!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 790
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn.,.thanks for telling your story....and congrats...

I have been thinking of taking a couple of horses to the local breed show and must say, I have cold feet....afraid of what the opinionated warm blood people might say about my PRE girls....
I don't know if they have a fair shot

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Deb! We are not show people in the least and felt very intimiated when we saw the beautiful horses and super movers. I have to say, when the people saw me having trouble with Zealand, they were super! They really understood what I was going through and were very supportive. I was very appreciative of their comforting words.

Thank you Terry as well. I didn't want to go either, Mike talked me into it. I'm not a show person at all, and I'm still not a show person. I'm just doing it to get points for them, for breeding purposes.

I guess if you don't go, you won't know how it'll turn out. My advice to you is, go, I'm sure your horses will make you proud! Even if by chance you didn't get a fair shake, you know what you have.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Job Marilyn! The only way for them to get used to it is to go :-) Perhaps you can seperate the girls a bit before you go again? Sometimes they get so herd bound and bonded that they can not think of anything else :-)

Terry...I think that they will be wowed by your PRE girls and you will spark interest in them :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I always knew Asia would make you proud....she's a very special girl indeed!!! Way to go! Congratulations!

Terry, I think you're insane if you DON'T go! Your horses are more than amazing, and I think you'd knock their socks off!! Those "very opinionated warm blood people" have no idea what they're up against! haha!!! Go get em'!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 793
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may give it a try....there still is time for this year....

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn and all - I am familiar (barely) with the FEI. Are the shows you are discussing actually shows or the inspection process for FEI or are they one in the same?

I am trying to get an FEI rating on my horses, but there is not date set for my state yet. I am a little concerened to travel too far with a mare and foal. I want my 3 year old inspected, also. Since I am new to this part, I may be biting off too much. I am the only horse true person in my family so the load will fall on me.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a series of in hand classes for sporthorse breeders...if you participate under three different judges in a calendar year you may qualify for the annual finals....in my case I would be going for an All breeds Award for PRE horses.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks - I will start checking into this.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have discovered my confusion - I was refering to FEIT inspections not FEI shows - two VERY different organizations. I was alredy a little intimidated with the FEIT, but with the FEI - even their website intimidated me! I think I would need a stiff drink for that event. I'll watch one first...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US