SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Weaning and Worried

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Weaning and Worried « Previous Next »

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I took Nova completely off momma and she is HUGE!!!! She is streaming milk some of the time. I have hosed her and walked her. Baby is a little worried, whinnying and pacing but no jumping into the fence. Is the streaming of milk OK? would she be better off completely away from the foal. Hearing him whinny, does that let the milk down. would the foal be less anxious if she was completely gone. I have another area where they can't see each other but they can hear. And I don't have a hose up there. I'm handling it but worried about mastitis. Udders are not hot. Just bursting. Is this normal the first day and is this the worst day. I don't like this weaning. I hate not feeding Topi and seeing them sad.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, one of these posts warned me. Nova was able to get his head through the gate bars and momma positioned herself perfectly so he could get to her. I watched and shooed her away. gonna have to separate pastures anyway. Been walking Topi and milk is still shooting out at times. Still no lumps or heat. Nipples sure look big. Its been about 30 hours since Nova was allowed a meal on momma. He only took about 3-4 sips through the gate. He was sucking on everything, her whole body, me, gate, etc. I hosed him down because he got himself worked up and sweaty. Its hot here in Texas. I'm walking Topi about every 4 hours for about 20 minutes. Any other suggestions.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay,if you see my posts from about a month ago -yearlings thread- you can see I was feeling as sad and anxious as you seem to be. What I did with Arasumi was to massage her udders with some warm water, I controlled her temperature -for mastitis- and just pet her a lot.
It did help some when I took her to a place where they could not hear each other. the process is kind of awfull, but it does last long so hang in there!.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay~if the milk comes out on it's own fine but don't express milk because that just encourages more milk. Make sure that Nova CAN NOT drink at all..he will be fine so will mom. I did not have any place to have my mare and foal but across from each other and I live in CA where it can be warm. Honestly after 2 days things really should settle down. Topi will not starve either...It's sucks but has to be done. Toys helped my babies. Cones, balls, stuff to take their frustration out on...Hang in there It will pass I promise!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, get Nova a big rubber ball, and it doesn't really change things much if they can't see each other. As long as they can't reach each other it'll be fine, and it usually only takes about 5 to 7 days for her to to stop milk production. Jan is right, don't milk her to help her comfort, it'll only make more milk. It's a heartbreaking process, but it'll all turn out just fine!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a difference a day makes. Topi is really losing the fullness in her bag. I went on and put her with my older mare in the front pasture and Nova, the baby , and my older gelding in the back pasture. All have been whinnying back and forth but they cannot see or touch each other. at least I know Nova cannot start Momma up with some quick sucks. The older ones told me they did not know this was a family affair. All are having to suffer to get this done. I told them it takes a family to raise a child. The baby does seem to really want attention every time I come see him but he has been a little unruly. I did make him lead a little. Thanks for all the empathy. It does help with your encouraging words. It still is sad to see this part of the chapter ending. So I can't feed Topi anything except pasture and hay for about 5-7 days until the bag goes down? I was worried earlier because of her big grass belly but with me cutting down her food the past month and limiting her pasture grazing the past week, she is slimming down. Doesn't look starved yet.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 613
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, I don't understand why you don't feed her her regular ration? Her bag will go down without use regardless...

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that would be great if I can feed her but I've read other posts and books and it said not to. I have to admit I gave her a handful tonight when I fed the other mare. Please advise!!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 615
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never stop feeding mine, and have never had any problem. In my belief, it just stresses them more...and they dry either way....I'm just not sure of the point of keeping them off feed?

Linda Bauer --Rita foaled 4/25
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will cut grain rations @ weaning because I am over graining to keep weight on the mare while she is lactating. I dont feel they need as much feed if it is just for maintance.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious about something. Since supply and demand works with lactation, if one milked just enough to give the mare some relief, would she not still dry up, without the worry of mastitis?

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay! I've read also about not giving the mare grain when weaning, but I tend to agree with Linda about just giving them a little for maintance.

CJ, what you said makes since to me. I would think if you milk them a little like say 3 times a day to relieve the pressure, and cut it to twice a day for a few days, and so on. This way it is like they are drying up gradually. It's like when I was pregnant with my daughter. I breast fed her until she was 9 months. At nine months I was only breast feeding her mabey 2 or 3 times a day(the rest of the time Ashley got a bottle), verses every few hours like when she was younger. Does this make sense?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats kind of the way I started weaning Nova. I kept him away for a couple hours, then longer, finally all morning, then extra hours in the pm then all morning and all night. She did really engorge the first 48 hours of no baby but it subsided. She is still a little full( not exactly full) just still with milk. But its been since Friday, so about 4-5 days. I am feeding her a cup of strategy in am and pm. Nova did look awfully depressed yesterday after his first night with her away. But he's doing OK. He led really well today and we went further than ever before with no balking. This may make him more independent. I also took my method from my breast feeding 24 years ago. I was a school teacher so had to stop nursing during school hours. Breasts and baby adjusted and eventually dried up and moved on.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US