SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Another "leading" question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Another "leading" question « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So my baby has gotten really good with the whole butt rope leading thing now, but how do I start leading him normally? He likes to pull back a lot when I try it and I don't push it because I don't want him to flip over and hurt himself or anything. How should I start working with him on this?

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 962
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emily. How old is your foal? I quit leading Jetta with the butt rope when she was almost 2 months old. I started by pulling her head toward me with steady pressure until she took a step, then I rewarded her. Jetta has pulled back several times, and has flipped over twice(she didn't get hurt though). You just have to keep pulling to the side to get them going, then you should be able to get him to take several steps forward. Good luck, and keep us posted on your foals progress.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 554
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand shoulder to shoulder with them...(no matter what they do, or how they turn, stay shoulder to shoulder)...Keep your hand up very near the halter, and with the other hand and excess lead rope, gently swat her on the bottom with the rope. So, you've got one hand on the halter pushing (not pulling) forward, and the other hand secretly giving little taps on the bottom...(if you're not shouldered into her, she'll see you doing it and become scared of it)When she takes a step responding to the halter, stop and reward....when she stops, give a tap with the rope. When she freaks out, and flips over, give her as much rope as she needs to throw her little fit and let her flip and flop. When she is done, get back to her shoulder and do it all again. They soon figure out that whatever you're asking them to do is much better than the BS they've been doing of flipping over!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Sky following mom with not allot of pressure on the rope. When I started leading him on his own he would resist little but he was already use to following me so we didn't have allot of resistance. I would sometimes have to tickle him buy his tail.

I was at a show yesterday and was talking to a breeder about leading. She said she never uses a but rope but would cradle the foal when they were younger. Then she would start leading them behind mom using a retractable dog leash. They are the ones with the big handle and the button that can stop the leash at a certain length. The foal would dance around or plant their feet and the lady would just keep walking. When the foal moved forward the leash would retract and she wasn’t stuck with allot of extra rope. I don't know how well it would work but all her horses are shown Hunter conformation and yearling classes. She never has a problem leading them so something must work. Just thought I would share.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were doing so well till today. Nova is pushing into me alot and when I push him back from me he's acting annoyed( tail swishes) and sometimes a little raring up. He had not been doing that recently. I guess we are going through the bad cycle. I may bring a little crop with me. When can they start learning to move the hindquarters when you swing a rope toward it. (giving you his butt and facing you). I've been keeping momma away a little longer at meal time and today I haltered him to lead and I think he wanted momma's milk after his meal. May have just been too much away from momma. I put another mare and Nova in an areana yesterday for about an hour to separate mom and nova. Nova didn't try to jump or crash into the fence but he did run around a lot and whinny, then would stop and graze a little then run again back and forth. Should I just keep this up increasing the time apart. I think I will start weaning about 4 1/2 to 5 months. nova is eating about 3 lbs of Strategy and grazing 24/7. I also give him access to coastal hay at supper time then take it away when I let them lose. Don't want the bigger horses to eat all that right now. They are fat enough. Do your babies really drop a lot of food on the ground?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 615
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, had to chuckle! You and I have our first foals, right?

My little fella is trying to turn into a little shit, but I am trying my best to prevent it! HaHaHa!

My neighbor came over and she took the rope in hand near the halter, then pulled his tail to the side and kept body contact with him. He walked with her and eventually, she let go of the tail. He did really well. No flipping over and all that as he had done with a butt rope. I was so releaved.

Anyway, that's another approach.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone!! I will try out different methods and see which one works for me! My boy can be a little ornery sometimes so it should be interesting! Lol. Good job, Cj!!

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, I can't tell you how discouraged I was when Nova was younger(he's 4 months now). He was mule kicking( about for 3 days-I popped him with crop) ,then biting(I tried everything and its getting much better. He rarely does this anymore) and rearing( didn't specifically do anything, just seemed to quit- I think the older horses getting with him has helped. He plays with them and gets reprimanded by them and also Mom. I was worried about the older ones but they have been sooooo patient yet stern. Perfect adoptive grandparents . At the beginning- my first colt also to EVER be around- I thought, I'm not so sure I was cut out for this-- and I've wanted it for sooo long. But now---He is the light of my life. We are really doing well together. Still a few problems leading, but so much more rewarding when he catches on. THIS IS F UN!!!

Kim Peavy/Blk&White Pinto Colt 6/16
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seems to be a topic that you guys might can help me with....my foal is just 10 days old today. My mom has a foal that was born 5/6/08....when he recovers from his little sickness right now and vet clears him, she wants to turn the mares and foals out together...I'm afraid mine is a little too young...do you have an age you feel would be appropriate to merge with another mare and foal...my biggest concern is her mare...she is a maiden and very protective and also can get spaztic about her baby...I don't want her hurting my foal accidentally...he's so friendly, I know he'd not be afraid to walk right up to her or her foal....any thoughts?

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim- I only have one foal right now so I'm not an expert or anything, but I would wait until maybe he's a little bigger and stronger. Mine is 2 months old and I still have not let him in with my other horses yet.. I'm being overprotective I know, but I did not want to risk any injuries, plus it's a lot easier to work with him when it's just him and his mom. Lol

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US