SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Colt shedding?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Colt shedding? « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So lately I've really noticed that my colt has lost hair around his ears, muzzle, eyes, and behind. Is this normal?? He has like bare spots.. I'm a little worried!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,
Its normal for them to lose their baby hair. In fact, with some horses, it is a good indicator of what color they are "really" going to be. The baby hair is sometimes not.

When you say he has "bare spots", is this like around his muzzle, eyes, etc. or are you talking about bare patches (bigger than a quarter) over his whole body, etc.?
I mean he doesn't have like hunks of hair missing with bare skin showing, I hope.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, my babies getting that "bare" look I would not worry unless you do not see new hair in the next week or so....they actually get kind of "ugly" duckling all patchworky. Good time to introduce clippers if it is hot where you live...

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He does not have big bare spots or anything. Just like quarter sized ones on the back of his legs and a couple on his ears, but he has shed a lot around his eyes and muzzle.. I might have my vet come out and take a look at him if it looks like he's not growing any hair there, in the next few days. Thanks for your guys' help!

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 277
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, Nova is 3 1/2 months and he is practically all shed out! He still has some bushy baby hair on his sides. I brush him every day and use a rubber curry comb. He is hot and loves the scatching. Its almost sad to see the baby hair go and he's looking like a little man now. He started losing hair around his muzzle and eyes, rest of face, then his butt, then legs, then topline. He looks really funny with the bushiness and slick other places. He's almost so slick he does look bald in places but the hair is coming. I don't think I'd worry about your little one unless it looks crusty or bumpy or rashy.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 617
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, so glad you asked about this! I have been trying to figure out how Poco has managed to "rub" off hair from his face and a few other places as well. So now I can see his "true color," huh, Catherine? Cool. One less thing to worry about.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 483
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ditto everyone else...that shedding of the baby hair is sad because you know you've reached a milestone. In the meantime, during the shedding process, it looks like they should all be shipped off to an island for lepracy...hahaha! It is so funny how that baby hair sheds with the eyes, muzzle, legs, then neck, then butt, then sides, then top. Wouldn't it be so nice if they shed off like adult's do with kind of a all-over effect. It makes me constantly look at their legs and bodys because they always appear to have a cut or owie when its just that little quarter sized start of hair loss.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a mare that was a dark brown but would throw the prettiest bright light red sorrel foals. Then, they would start losing their baby hair and you could tell they were going to be almost black like her!
One of the first places they start shedding is around the eyes and their little noses and these little guys would look like raccoons!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine: Ooohhh...how cute would that be! Haha!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny. My little guy is so fuzzy right now. He has a patch on his shoulder that is darker than the rest of him. It has not shed yet, so I am curious to see if it is indicative of his real color, or will remain a "patch" of darker hair.

I know we can't keep them babies forever, but now he has those "dangley things" as one person called it. I'd better get my video camera going again berfore he gets any older. But I love that finally-he is letting me pet him-even asks for it-loves the scratching. Funny boy.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on a vacation for 4 days and husband took over feeding. It's amazing how much he grew (Nova, the 4 month old colt, not my husband) in 4 days. And he is almost completely shedded out--SLICK!!! He is beautiful of course. He is really looking like a big horse!! Where's my baby!!!! He looked happy to see me, nickered and came to me, actually acted a little rowdy! (still talking about the colt, rats, and not the husband) I don't know if I missed my dog , my colt, or my husband the most. Do any of you leave for like a day or two and not feed--mine do have fairly nice grass and could have hay. Then if you do, how do you feed the next time when you get home--full portion or half? i've tried to find a pet sitter but husband is worried about people on the place, not feeding correctly , etc.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 625
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have, years ago, when I had to be gone. Our's was also in pasture. I would split a bale up and left in differnt places (in case one pile got peed on or something). I had someone who was willing to drive by and at least take a peek each day.

I can't believe Nova is already 4 months old!!! Send pics, okay?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 497
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These babies just don't stay little for long. JJ has actually for two days now gotten food aggessive! His mom isn't so I don't know where he's picked up that habit! He pinned his ears and struck out at me Saturday. Little turds shouldn't do that...nope, makes for a bad day in Manner Lesson 101. Little stink did it again Sunday, only this time he wheeled his butt at me and about took off my head with his back feet. Persistent little snot he is! He is my daily challenge! Problem is that he's getting bigger than I am, stronger too! Gotta love the tenacity but oh my goodness, he's just a little devil child.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well he's really shedding on his face, it seems. Everyone says he will be a sorrel, but his face is starting to look black, and his ears too. Could he turn black?? His sire is pure black.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,all chenoa is also shedding out to a darker color on his face and also getting blk hair in his mane
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/004-14.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/003-14.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/005-17.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/005-18.jpg
I think my little palomino paint is turning into a buckskin paint,What do you guys think??

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 993
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy I think he might just end up black like his mom. Buckskins only have black points. Mane, tail, and lower legs. That spot on his hip, and around his eye look black to me from the pics.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charlene maybe ,but i think if dice was homo for blk wouldnt he have been born blk???he has a chocolate spot on the side of his lip and i think those body spots are turning kind of dark brown not realy blk,i think he has the pattern of a paint with the color of a buckskin,the color calculator said palomino paint or buckskin paint,i guess time will tell.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 994
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the color calculator and he could be a smokey black. Is Dice homo for black? Even if she was that doesn't guarentee that he would be born black. I did the color calculator again as if Dice was homo for black and this was the result of the Coat Color Calculator

Shown below are the possible offspring coat colors and the probability of each determined using the given information of the sire and dam. Accuracy of the calculations are increase when more genetic information is known of the parents.
Sire Color: Cremello Agouti: aa, Aa, AA Tobiano: nn
Red Factor: ee LWO: nn
Cream: CrCr Sabino: nn
Silver: nn Splash: nn
Dun: dd Roan: rr
Champagne: nn Gray: gg
Dam Color: Black Tobiano Agouti: aa Tobiano: nT, TT
Red Factor: EE LWO: nn
Cream: nn Sabino: nn

Details: Smoky Black Tobiano

Ee/aa/nCr/nT = 37.5000%

Details: Buckskin Tobiano

Ee/Aa/nCr/nT = 37.5000%

Details: Smoky Black

Ee/aa/nCr = 12.5000%

Details: Buckskin

Ee/Aa/nCr = 12.5000%
Details: All

Ee/Aa/nCr/nT = 37.5000%
Ee/aa/nCr/nT = 37.5000%
Ee/Aa/nCr = 12.5000%
Ee/aa/nCr = 12.5000%

Offspring Color Probability

37.50% - Smoky Black Tobiano
37.50% - Buckskin Tobiano
12.50% - Smoky Black
12.50% - Buckskin

So, I'd say he is smoky black

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHARLENE,I DONT KNOW IF DICE IS HOMO FOR BLK,BUT THANKS FOR THE INFO,I NEVER GOT SMOKEY BLK WHEN I DID IT, THATS PRETTY INTERESTING,THANKS!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene,so i did the test again and checked the stallion genetics he was tested at us davis and it says he can not have a smokey blk, or blk foal, only palomino or buckskin from bay,brown ,or blk horses. does that mean if chenoa turns smokey blk it came from dice??

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 996
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the stud was a cremello? Mabey I was wrong. If he is a cremello, and and uc davis says he can not have a smokey blk, then I am confused. Cremello's carry the creme gene, and when you cross that to a black, there is the possibilty of a smokey black. Which is a black with a creme gene. A buckskin, is a horse with the bay and creme gene. A palamino is typically a red with a creme gene. What were the results of the studs test at uc davis exactly? Can you find out?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charlene,yes go tohttp://www.lattefarms.com/firstclasschip.html ,he is a cremello,and it does say that most cremellos have the blk gene,but he does not,take a look at his genetics its hard to understand sometimes,tell me what you think after you see it.thanks..maybe between the two of us we can figure out what chenoa will be,thanks for taking the time!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 997
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy, after looking at the studs website, I'd say he is definiately a Buckskin! The reason the sire can have any blacks of any kind is, because he is homozygous Agouti. That means the black can only be on the points of the horse. I love love buckskins, because they look alot like duns only no dorsal or barring.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy,
It is really hard to say. With how orange he was at birth it is hard to believe he won't be palomino. I guess anything is possible. For him to be anything but palomino Dice would have had to pass her black gene on and unless she is homozygous black there would be a 50% chance of her not passing it. Take a look at this filly. Genetically she can only be a Palomino. She is very dark and her legs even look black. I would say too that her foal color looked very similar to Chenoa.

http://www.norsirefarms.com/goldlocket.html

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW,i love the color of thatt fillie,i guess only time will tell.Thanks for checking!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 998
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I have never seen a palomino with black anywhere on their body. If you do the color calculator as the sire as a cremello that is homo for agouti, and the mare as homo for black(if she is), this is the result
Coat Color Calculator

Shown below are the possible offspring coat colors and the probability of each determined using the given information of the sire and dam. Accuracy of the calculations are increase when more genetic information is known of the parents.
Sire Color: Cremello Agouti: AA Tobiano: nn
Dam Color: Black Tobiano Agouti: aa Tobiano: nT
Red Factor: EE LWO: nn

Ee/Aa/nCr/nT = 50.0000%

Ee/Aa/nCr = 50.0000%

Ee/Aa/nCr/nT = 50.0000%
Ee/Aa/nCr = 50.0000%

50.00% - Buckskin Tobiano
50.00% - Buckskin

If Dice carry the red gene than these are the possibilites
Coat Color Calculator

Sire Color: Cremello Agouti: AA Tobiano: nn
Dam Color: Black Tobiano Agouti: aa Tobiano: nT
Red Factor: Ee LWO: nn

Details: Palomino Tobiano

ee/Aa/nCr/nT = 25.0000%

Details: Palomino

ee/Aa/nCr = 25.0000%

Ee/Aa/nCr/nT = 25.0000%

Ee/Aa/nCr = 25.0000%

Ee/Aa/nCr/nT = 25.0000%
Ee/Aa/nCr = 25.0000%
ee/Aa/nCr/nT = 25.0000%
ee/Aa/nCr = 25.0000%

25.00% - Palomino Tobiano
25.00% - Palomino
25.00% - Buckskin Tobiano
25.00% - Buckskin

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes that is the possability i was told when i bred dice, any of the four is ok with me so i guess only time will tell.Iam with you thow i dont think a palomino would have blk in the mane or any place else on the body and i have noticed he has some blk spots on the hair above his hoof,it will be fun to watch and see what happenes.He took his first walk out into the world today and was such a good boy,he wasnt to sure of the cars going by but he did better than my friend thought he would.cant wait to take him out again tomorrow.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he is buckskin he is going to be a very dark or sooty buckskin. I can't wait to see him fully shed out!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,i cant wait either,iam with you i think he will be a dark color buckskin.Do you know when they should finish shedding out to the real color??

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 752
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy,
I think last year our colt was done by 4 months old.
Here is some more food for thought. Just as he could be a sooty buckskin he could be sooty palomino. Sooty is sort of like roan only it is black hairs instead of white. So even if you have a red gened horse it can have black hairs.
Also here is a liver chestnut horse. Take a look at the second picture. Other then a couple places where he has a reddish sheen he could be mistaken for black.

http://www.uark.edu/depts/dekep/roundup2007/lots/lot5.htm

After Chenoa sheds out if you are still unsure I would have him tested for the black gene. You would then know for sure what he is. I guess my point with showing you these different horses is that coat color can be deceiving and with out genetic tests we would be lost. Also it can be so hard at times to judge what the horses color will be from their foal coat.

Have a great weekend!! :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 484
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks emily.i guess we will just have to wait and see.have a good weekend to!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US