SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Creep feeding

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Creep feeding « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So my foal is now eating hay and trying to get some of mom's grain. Should I start feeding him a little bit of grain seperately? And what type is recommended for a baby?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 590
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have read that after three and a half weeks, they can digest grain. But I think there are a lot of different factors to consider, so I will leave that to the more experienced.

wanda
Breeding Stock
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gals,

I am by no means an expert but this is what my vet said...he told me that the baby could start eating grain at 1 week...mine did start nibbling at it then too..(I do have a percheron filly so maybe she is just going to be a big eater like her Momma) LOL but the vet said it was ok and so I usually put a small bucket in the stall for baby and she will eat out of it or sometimes she will go run Momma out of hers and then Momma will come eat hers..but this way they both have some at the same time and Momma is more likely to share that way..My little girl started eating grass, and hay by a week old too... maybe she is just a unique case so I am not giving advice but just telling you what we did and do..! ;0)She probably is not even eating more than a cup or so each time... She is a very big eater...and growing very fast...I have not measured her but I think she has grown a good 6-7 inches and she is about 25 days old...lets just say that when she wants to eat she has to spread her legs apart just so she can reach the grass..LOL And talk about strong...wow..she is very affectionate but when she wants to stub up...you better have a good grip on the butt rope so you can get her a movin!! But I am loving every minute of it!!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily I started giving Sky about 1/4cup at about 2 weeks and then as he started eating more I would increase it. He is up to 1lb of Safe Choice. It is the same as what Mom is getting so I donít have to worry about him missing or getting to much of something. I really like the Safe Choice as it is just a good as the other brands and for my area it runs about $2.00-$7.00 less. Sky now loves his grain and keeps his creep feeder well in sight tells he is done eating.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Everyone
I've started to giving Summer M&F pelllets mix with a small amount of source 14 I wanted to try to get her on Foalac pellets and she doesnt like them I have tried to giving her a small amount to introduce her to FoalLac-Pellet mixed with the stuff she likes she's to smart she is spitting them out!! Does anyone have any Suggestions??

Another thing she really doesn't like, Is eating out of her creep feeder (won't stick her nose in the feeder??

L

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emily. How old is your colt now? From everything I've been told and have read, they say its ok for them to share with mom until they are about a month old. I started giving Jetta her own ration at about 3 weeks of age. I started with a 1/4c. morning and night, slowing increasing it to a cup am & pm. One of my books says that at a month of age the maximum amount a foal should get is 1 pound a day, approximately 1/2 to 1 percent of their body weight. This is just a guideline. Jetta is 2 and 1/2 months old now, and I am still giving her about a little over a pound a day. This is mainly because she looks to be at a good weight to me, and because she is now tall enough to eat out of her moms grain feeder, and mom lets her. So I figure she is actually getting about a total of 3cups ( 1 1/2lbs a day). They both get LMF Development, but I also put 1/2c soybean meal in my mares ration(am & pm), to help with her milk production, as it is high in protien. This kinda has me worried now since Jetta is eating some of hers too. Too much protien for the babies is not good! Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep Jetta from eating her mom's grain????

Hi Tarha. How is Sky doing? Do you have any recent pics? I'm begininng to think Jetta is growing to fast. She is half of her mom's height already at 2 1/2 months. How big is Sky compared to his mom? Here is a recent pic of Jetta http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0530081837.jpg

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My babies all eat their own Strategy....when the mares come into their pens, the babies voluntarily come into the aisle for their dinner. Neither mares or babies mind the separation and now 4 out of the 5 babies look forward to their feeding time. The youngest filly at 3 weeks is not ready to leave mom yet. I give them about 1 lb a piece but don't really care if they eat it all or not. This is when I do my handling, grooming, doctoring etc. Often they spend their time socializing with me and each other not eating. I think this situation will lead to natural weaning in about 2 months. The mares go back out to pasture easily and never look for their babies until much later. Same with the babies....if one REALLY wants out I let them go.

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sky is doing very well. He is 12.1hh. He is playing with everyone and is so friendly. He is very smart and training with him has been so nice and easy. We got a lot of rain last night but he is still just as playful as ever. Was playing with my towl and got in on his back. After the initial surprise he just ignored it. He really enjoys sharing a good scratch with my Appy and Lincoln is always happy to have someone scratch him. I think Sky is going to be a dark bay or maybe a seal brown. At this point only time will tell.
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/BigSky1408/?action=view&current=73ea364f .pbw

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys for the help! My boy is growing so fast, so quickly! He also has to spread his legs to even eat hay or anything and he has a hard time ducking underneath his mama to get milk. Lol. He's doing really well with a butt rope and he comes up to me and will follow me around. Here's a couple of pics of him at about a month old. He was a month on the 29th of May.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/gerardbutlergrl/Atty6.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/gerardbutlergrl/Atty3.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/gerardbutlergrl/atty1.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US