SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hey everyone

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Hey everyone « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, sorry that I've not been around in a while! I've just been so busy! How is everyone, and their new babies doing?? Mine's doing great! He's getting really big, really fast, and learning well. I hope everyone else's foals are doing well!! I have a couple of questions, but I'll post them separately, probably tomorrow. I'm off to bed! Good night!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to hear from you Emily. Glad all is going well. Will look for your other psots.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emily, Hi Cj...Just checking in and saw the two of you and wanted to say...HI!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bobbi. Been thinking about you. How is foal watch going? Can't remember the "due date." But I believe you have one due in June.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foal watching is going well. Lena is due June 24 (well, let's just say June 24 is the average 340 day mark...hehehe). This will be her fourth foal so its not near as stressful as the maidens were! But, as we all know, trouble can still lurk in the corner waiting to pounce, even with these experienced mares. She is doing great and started bagging up slowly, but progressively within the past few weeks. I'm a little more concerned with her as she is out on pasture (fescue) so it is not as easy to control what she is intaking. With the two maidens, they were still on hay so I could control what they were eating in the last trimester...not so easy this time so I will have to be super cautious with fescue/milk production issues.

She is fat and she has slowed down. Hahaha...got that miserable look to her.

We reunited Blossom & Moose with Echo & JJ...sort of by accident...hahaha...but at least Blossom didn't try to kill JJ by running him through any more fences. The "boys" are having great fun with each other. What is interesting is Blossom was just in heat last weekend (and I didn't get a chance to re-breed her...rats, darn, now I have to wait again) and Mr. JJ, who is just all that and a box of chocolate, was behaving like his stud daddy. What a surprise he's going to get when he wakes up one afternoon and finds "them" gone!

My GiMooseraffe is still the most adorable, sweetheart of a boy. He's just bombproof. You can do anything to him and he just loves people. He' such a goober. JJ still has all the spit and fire he came out with. He's fun but a real handful at times.

We are having such problems with ticks this year! I am treating everyone almost daily and they just seem to be resistant to everything. I change the spray and powders I'm using every other day to prevent a resistance, but it doesn't seem to even touch the problem. I sat Sunday and pulled off over 50 seed ticks off of Echo's udder/bag! This is just insane! Are you having any of these same issues?? Crazy stuff!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I hate to hear about all the ticks! Have you tried Sevin dust? It always works around here...well, on dogs, I've never had a tick problem on my horses. Also, I would think it would make more sense to treat the pasture with triazicide....I dunno, ticks are in the trees too...would garlic and applecider vinegar work with ticks? It keeps flies off them.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Bless your heart, hahaha, yes, I have tried Sevin dust, in fact, its the only thing I've put on the babies because I don't want to "over insecticide" them. I'm not having near as much issue with them as I am with their mothers. I guess with the bags full of milk and the veins popping up, it is an attraction to the ticks. We have a public health warning in our area that due to the excessive rains and flooding this year, that ticks and misquitos are going to be extremely higher than normal. That would be an understatement. I've been putting baby oil on the mare's udders...to back out ticks that have found their way there, as well as deter them from seeking that area...I don't want to put insecticide in an area where babies are nursing. They also have an accumulation of ticks in the "arm pit" and inside groin/thigh area. I am just beside myself with this issue as we have never had this serious of an infestation.

You're right...not only are they in the grass but the trees are harboring these pests as well. Spraying 40 acres might take me to next winter to get done...hahahaha. Can't take the horses out of areas where there is shade...poor things and I don't want to keep them penned up in a stall all the time. I've also noticed that horn and deer flies are worse than they've been in the past...even the cattle are constantly battling them and they have insecticide ear tags! Its just nuts! I'll have to try the garlic and applecider vinegar...its certainly worth a try and I'm up for anything at this point! Thanks!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Emily!! Great to hear that all is well with your baby!!!

Bobbi!!!! I had been wondering how you were!!! Sorry you are having such a tick problem. Our horses are getting some but not that bad. I use Redmond Clay. I know it sounds weird that I use clay but it helps. It doesn't keep them off but it seems to kill them in those hard to reach areas where picking them off can be difficult. It is powder that you mix with water and then smear on any area. When it drys I think the ticks flake off with it. I also use it on cuts as well. Oh, and we use it on us too! It itches as it drys but it draws toxins out and helps burns and cuts heal faster, not to mention tick bites. Here is a link to human testimonials.

http://www.redmondclay.com/redmond-clay-testimonials.html

I don't know of any place that has testimonials from people who use it on animals but we use it all the time and have never had any problems. The good thing too is if they lick it it won't hurt them.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. There was some discussion on another thread about vinegar put into the drinking water and garlic sprinkled on feed. I just wonder if anyone know how much to use?

My mare does not like the garlic, so I am introducing it more slowly. Flies are just HORRIBLE to her. She begs for her fly face mask! And this from an aloof horse.

Bobbi, I can't imagine the work you have to do to get all those ticks off! My daughter, who lives about ten miles away has tons of ticks. I have zip. Go figure. I'm counting my blessings.

I hope all goes well with your mare's milk production. Keep us posted.

Emily, thanks for the link. I have to go build fence know, but am going to take a look at this later.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily: Wow...that's interesting as well. I'll give all these suggestions a try! Geezzz...its better than what I'm dealing with now. You know...I'm a firm believer in some of these "draw" type treatments. My grandpappy was such a believer in these! Its good to be back here...I've missed you all.

Cj: It is interesting how everyone is or isn't being affected by this issue.

What's even stranger is that Lena, Miss Fat & Prego, has very little ticks on her while the two nursing mares are just being saturated with them. I can't figure out what the correlation is. Its the same with the cattle, the nursing cows have ticks covering their udders while others don't.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ, about a 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar on her feed should do it! I have minis, and use only a couple tablespoons. If you put it in their water, I'd use apple cider vinegar, not regular, yuck. Mix the garlic with something she does like , like molasses or karo or something...?

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah ticks have been awful this year! My dogs are worse off than my horses though, even with all of their flea and tick medicine.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, it must be the odor of the animal's milk that draws them? Interesting.

Diana, thanks. I was hoping to put it in the water she drinks. Don't know if she will eat the grain with it, but I'll give it a try. I did put some molasses over the grain with garlic. That can't taste too good, but she ate it.

We missed you too, Bobbi!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US