SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

I know its not the appropriate place to ask

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » I know its not the appropriate place to ask « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But this is definitely affecting my mares and foals....FLIES, BITING FLIES, are eating my horses up! I have started bringing them into the barn in the daytime and putting them out at night, but wondered if anyone knows a good treatment for the stable that'll keep them away?!?! Please help, it's horrible!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane,
put red apple cider in there water, use a strong fly spray
mixture is 1/3 fly concentrate 1/3 vinegar 1/3
mouth wash
It works for us..Good luck!

L

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garlic powder top dressed on their feed also works

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much garlic powder do you use?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 493
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys! I'll try it all!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a great fly trap you can get to hang from trees or stables that emits feromones (sp?). It draws them into the liquid solution and they can't get out, so die. Works really well to cut down on them. Caution: the liquid is foul smelling, so one must follow the directions carefully and use latex disposable gloves in order to keep it off your hands. You can't smell it once it is all set up.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, how much red vinegar to how much water? It seems like it might help with algea too?

As for the mixture, will any mouth wash do? And is it safe for nursing foals? Thanks.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, I also would like to know the apx. amt. of garlic powder you use. Do horses generally like it, or do you mix with anything else? Thanks!

It would be great to bring them more relief than I've given them so far. My mare actually comes to the gate to ask for her face-fly mask, if I forget to put it on in the AM and even lowers her head for me! They drive her crazy with getting to her eyes, poor thing.

And my colt will not stand still for the spray, so I have to get it on best I can from different angles near the mare. But he seems to be getting better at accepting it.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have previously put apple cider vinegar (about 1/4 cup) over their feed, and it worked. I forgot about that! Great reminder!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana,Cj
I use 1/3 of each, Mouth wash (generic is fine) for the antiseptic cleasing of the fly bites and Vinegar seems to ease the swelling from the bites not to mention it's bad tasting for those pesty varmits in addition I do put up fly traps the type CJ mentioned all around the area of my horses.

Diana I know that in OK it's humid so flies love the temp, probably so big you can throw on a dressage saddle and ride them!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the flies are awful here to there is a non stinging wasp you can buy that eats them but i dont no how well it works i bought permythian 10 for horses cattle dogs sheeps and goats a 20$ bottle makes 100 gals. It kills flys ticks lice and mange skeeters to I think. i mix it dbl strength for the ground area and then dilute it to the directions to actualy spray them with. My horses were getting eaten so badly they were really really bleeding where theyd been bitten not to mention the ticks yuk

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ, do you know the name of that fly trap? I might have to get myself a couple. DIE FLIES, DIE!

Right now I just use generic fly traps, and fly tapes, they work okay, but I'm always looking for an upgrade!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh also I do put vinegar in my horses water i use the plain white vinegar cuz its cheaper weather it helps with flies i dunno does kill fleas on dogs tho it is good for them. vinegar is a natural blood builder.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 580
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni, how much vinegar to water? I have a large trough. I think it is a hundred gallon tank.

Samantha, not sure of the name. I have to buy some myself (first this year). When I get them I'll let you know the name. But if you go to the feed store and describe them, they will probably have some. Could be a different brand. It is a heavy plastic bag and you hang it. But I'm buying some tomorrow or Sat., so I will definetley let you know.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US