SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

BAD NEWS!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » BAD NEWS!!! « Previous Next »

susan lewis
Weanling
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELL ITS TAKING ALOT FOR ME TO WRITE THIS BUT HE WE GO.
TAFFY WENT IN LABOR AT 9 AM. HER WATER BROKE AND SHE WAS PUSHING SO HARD WITH NO PROGRESS SO I WENT IN AND FOUND WHAT I THOUGHT WAS JUST THE BACK. NO FEET OR NOSE. CALLED THE VET AND MADE IT HERE IN LESS THEN 10 MINUTES. HE WENT IN AND SAID THIS IS NOT GOOD AT ALL, ITS BAD. THE BABY WAS ALREADY DEAD AND HE SAID THE FOAL WAS REALLY TWISTED UP IN THERE. HE TRIED FOR OVER AN HOUR TO GET THE BABY OUT WITH NO LUCK. MOM WAS REALLY WORE OUT AT THIS POINT FROM PUSHING AND HAVING TO MAKE HER STAND SO HE COULD GET IN THERE. WELL AFTER USING EVERYTHING HE HAD TO GET THE BABY IN POSITION TO GET HIM OUT HE WASN'T COMING. HE THEN MADE HER STAND AGAIN AND WENT IN AND SHE WENT DOWN AND JUST LAID THERE. HE WENT IN AGAIN AND SAID OH NO HER UTERUS JUST TORE AND HER INSIDES WERE COMING OUT SO HE HAD TO PUT HER TO SLEEP. HE ONLY GOT ONE FOOT OUT AND IT WAS BLACK AND WHITE. I NEVER GOT TO SEE IF IT WAS A FILLY OR COLT, BUT MAYBE ITS BETTER THIS WAY...

TAFFY SUFFERED SO LONG AND I COULDN'T STAND TO SEE HER IN SOOO MUCH PAIN. IT WAS THE BEST THING TO DO AT THIS POINT. HE DIDNT THINK EVEN IF WE WOULD OF GOTTEN THE BABY OUT THAT TAFFY WOULD OF MADE IT.
SHE LOST SOOO MUCH BLOOD. I'M SOOO UPSET BUT I'M GLAD SHES NOT IN PAIN.
WHAT SHE HAD WAS DYSTOCIA AND THERE WAS NOTHING WE COULD OF DONE.
I DONT THINK I CAN DO THIS AGAIN. ITS TO HARD. JUST WANTED TO LET EVERY ONE KNOW THE OUTCOME.
I HOPE EVERYONE HAS HEALTHY FOALS AND DOESN'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH WHAT I JUST WENT THROUGH. EVEN THOUGH I HAD TAFFY A WEEK I LOVED HER SO MUCH. I'VE GOT ONE OF HER BABYS AND SHE WILL LIVE ON.
THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP.. RIP TAFFY AND BABY.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 671
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Susan!!! I can't tell you how sorry I am. :-( Your in my prayers.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Susan, your post made me cry :-( My prayers are with you.

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan...so sorry...I cannot even imagine what you are going through. Deepest condolences to you and RIP to your precious girl and her baby....try to get some rest...kim

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS TRACY AND EMILY. I DONT KNOW HOW I'M GOING TO GET THROUGH THIS. I'VE GOT TO WAIT FOR MY HUSBAND TO GET HOME TO HELP ME BARRY HER OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL IT.
I JUST HOPE ITS BEFORE MY KIDS GET HOME FROM SCHOOL. ITS A TERRIBLE SITE WITH JUST THE BABYS LEGS STICKING OUT. I DONT THINK I'M GOING TO BE DOING THIS EVER AGAIN... I'VE HAD NOTHING BUT BAD LUCK. I'VE LOST 3 IN LESS THEN A MONTH.
MY EYES ARE SWOLLEN FROM CYRING. I THINK I'M GOING TO GO LAY DOWN.
THANKS

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my Susan, my heart aches for you. It's devistating to hear what happened to your mare and foal. I'm so sorry... Some day it'll be easier to deal with and maybe you can try again. I pray you'll get these horrible images out of your mind sooner rather than later.

God bless you, Marilyn

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SUSAN,
My heart is with you as well as a "HUGE" hug May your mare run with all the others, I'll tell my Stallion to take care of her as they run over the rainbow bridge!!!!!!

Hugs & Kisses

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 476
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, what a tragic story. I'm so sorry. I just can't even imagine what that must have cost you and your valiant mare, in an attempt to give birth to her foal. Sounds like it would have been a pretty baby.

I'm glad you have one of Taffy's offspring to help dull the pain and trauma.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deepest Sympathy Susan...my heart breaks for you and your sweet Taffy and your family. She ad least had you to send her to the rainbow bridge...where she runs free. Very tragic...Tears and Hugs for you.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been a sh_ _ _ y year for foal loses and mares.....I pray the rest in waiting will safely deliver healthy foals!!!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan,
I am so VERY, VERY, VERY sorry.

I know there aren't any words right now that are going to ease your pain any, but please know with all my heart that I am thinking of you right now and that I send my love.

KLEE
Weanling
Username: Klee

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you poor thing, i am so sad for you, i will keep you in my prayers.

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so so sorry to hear about the dreadful time you had and then the loss of them both.
Words can't help but it might help to know there are people all over the world who are thinking about you and care.
After my mare lost stillborn twins last year I said never again but time is a great healer.
RIP Taffy and beautiful baby.
I am crying for you all x x x

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so SORRY for your loss Susan. It always sucks to lose one. After we lose I feel like crap for a week and I don't even own them. I can't imagine losing one that I actually owned!

wanda
Yearling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am don't know what to say...how tragic....I know it must have taken a lot of strength just to write this post! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...I know this will be hard on everyone..kids don't understand and I am sure will have a lot of ?s that are hard to answer...

BIG FAMILY HUGS TO YOU ALL!!

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, that is so heartbreaking that you and your mare had to go through that, and you say thats the 3rd in a month you poor thing, I will pray for somthing good to come your way and soon.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, that is just awful. I'm so sorry for the suffering of you and your mare, poor dear. Sometimes things are just out of our hands. My thoughts are with you. There are several other people on this board who have lost their foals and/or mares. I hope you can get some consolation out of that. May she and the baby rest in peace and you and your family find peace as well.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, I'm sorry for your loss.

Beth Sanford
Weanling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan,
There aren't words. I am very sorry for your loss and know that you and your family will take time to heal. Yall are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope that you are able to deal with the grief of this loss and eventually be able to enjoy your horses again. Again, I am very sorry for your loss...

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan,
I am glad to hear you have a foal from Taffy to keep. Hopefully that will bring you joy and remind you of better times. Maybe, you may want to try again....I hope so. Until then, you have my sympathy regarding this devastating event. Terry

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE THOUGHTFULL WORDS.
I'M DOING A LITTLE BETTER TODAY BUT WOW IT STILL HURTS.
I'VE GOT 3 OTHER MINIS AND IF ANYTHING HAPPENED TO THEM TO I WOULD JUST DIE.
GOING THROUGH THAT FOR A 11 MONTHS IS JUST TO HARD FOR ME. I ONLY HAD HER A WEEK AND THAT WAS BAD ENOUGH. MAYBE WHEN I GET CALMED DOWN AND REALLY THINK ABOUT IT I MIGHT CONSIDER TRYING ONE MORE TIME. BUT I DONT KNOW.
AS FOR JO ANGELA, YEAH IT WAS 3 IN LESS THEN A MONTH. I HAD BAUGHT A MINI BACK IN NOVEMBER AND I DIDNT KNOW BUT SHE WAS PREGNANT. I MEAN SHE WAS ONLY 1 1/2 YRS. OLD. I WASN'T EVEN GOING TO ASK IF SHE WAS PREGNANT. WELL IN APRIL SHE HAD A BABY AND IT DIED. THAT WAS THE FIRST ONE. THEN THESE 2 IN ONE DAY.
I REALLY HAVE MY OWN THERIES ABOUT REALLY HAPPENEND YESTERDAY. I JUST KEEP THINKING ABOUT IT OVER AND OVER. I DONT THINK MY MARE TORE HER UTERUS ON HER OWN. HE WAS USING TOOLS WITH HOOKS TO TRY AND HOOK THE BABY TO GET HIM OUT AND IT WASN'T WORKING. AFTER ABOUT AND HOUR HE SAID THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE FOAL OUT WAS TO CUT IT UP TO GET IT OUT. ME AND MY MOTHER THAT HAD CAME OVER FOR SOME SUPPORT JUST BROKE DOWN AND I DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO SAY. I THINK HE MIGHT OF CUT HER WITH THEM. I DONT KNOW, I DONT REALLY WANT TO BLAME ANYONE BUT THERE WAS NO WAY THE BABY WAS COMING OUT AND HE WAS GETTING FRUSTRATED. THERES REALLY SO MUCH THAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY AND SO HARD TO PUT INTO WORDS.
WELL I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW A LITTLE MORE DETAIL TO TRY AND UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION BETTER. MY FAMILY AND I ARE GOING TO BE OKAY AND THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, you've had a very bad spell of bad luck. It's bound to get better. I'm truly sorry this happened to you. My God protect you and yours.

Marilyn

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 438
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

susan: Awwww, my heart breaks for you and your family! I hope you feel the hugs that are sent to you. You've had an extremely rotten year and I am truly sorry for that. I hope you find solace in that your presence with her kept her from needless suffering...imagine her in the hands of someone who may have put her in a field and never checked on her. You're a great horse mom...you did your best and then made the most difficult decision any of us have to make...can't do anymore than that!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, I think I understand a little of what you went through. When things go wrong, there is so much fear. What starts out as a happy moment, soon brings worry, then fear. Not knowing what to do, and sometimes not knowing who to believe is so hard. We look to more educated and more experienced people to help us make the Right decision, but ultimately, we are the ones left with the feeling of responsibility and the questions.

I won't pretend to have any answers, but I wanted to share this with you for I have had a taste of what you went through, although my situation was much, much less of an ordeal. I'm glad you are getting better. Time does heal, as we all know. So I wish you that time. Take care.

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELL JUST WANTED TO GIVE AN UPDATE. I'M DOING ALOT BETTER. I'M STILL NOT SLEEPING VERY GOOD AS EVERYTIME I CLOSE MY EYES I SEE HER BUT WHEN I DO SLEEP I DREAM ABOUT IT. I WISH THERE WAS MORE I COULD OF DONE. I SPENT A LONG TIME IN THE PASTURE YESTERDAY WITH MY OTHER MINIS JUST LOVING ALL OVER THEM AND THANKING GOD I STILL HAVE THEM. I'VE DECIDED NOT TO GIVE UP. HORSES HAS BEEN MY PASSION AND I THINK THERE THE MOST BEAUTIFULEST ANIMAL. I THOUGHT MAYBE MY OTHER MINI WAS PREGNANT SINCE SHE BRED LAST MONTH BUT SHES NOT, THEY BRED AGAIN YESTERDAY, THAT WAS KINDA DISSAPOINTING BUT IT IS MY STUDS FIRST YEAR. HE'LL GET IT.. I'D REALLY RATHER HAVE A APRIL BABY ANYWAY THEN A MARCH BABY.

I DO KINDA HAVE A QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU. I'VE GOT ONE OF TAFFYS DAUGHTERS AND I'M NOT SURE IF SHES BRED OR NOT. THE VET SAID HE CANT PALPATE HER AS SHE'S TO SMALL. SHE HAS NO BAG YET BUT AS OF LAST MONTH SHE WELL HOW DO I EXPLAIN THIS.
WELL SHE HAD NO BAG OR ANYTHING, HER TEATS WERE THE ONLY THINK YOU FELT. LIKE ON A DOG. LOL
WELL NOW SHE HAS SOME BAGGAGE BUT NOT FILLED UP. OK WELL SHES REALLY RELAXED IN HER HIND END. TAIL REALLY RELAXED. HER HIP BONES ARE STICKING OUT AND YOU CAN FEEL HER SPINE. HER BELLY IS BIG TO THOUGH. YOU CANT SEE HER RIBS SINCE SHES SO WIDE. SHE DOESN'T HAVE WORMS. I WORM THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS WITH SOMETHING DIFFERENT EVERYTIME. AND OMG SHE EATS LIKE A PIG. I JUST CANT FIGURE IT OUT. I ALSO HAVE NOT SEEN HER IN HEAT AT ALL THIS YEAR. MY BAY MARE HAS HAD 2 HEATS AND HER NOTHING.
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?
OK LAST YEAR I HAD SPIRT AND JUNIOR TOGETHER, WELL FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS HE WAS JUMPING ON HER BUT I NEVER SEEN HIM WELL YOU KNOW. IT WASN'T EVEN OUT. WELL EVERY SINCE THEN. SHE HAS BEEN SOOOO SWEET.
WHEN I GOT HER SHE WAS SOOO MEAN TO ME, SHE DID NOT LIKE ME AT ALL. NOW AFTER THAT SHE HAS BEEN SOOOO SWEET. THIS WAS LAST APRIL THROUGH JUNE, I SEEN HIM DO THIS. THEN NEVER AGAIN, NOT EVEN THIS YEAR. I'M STUMPED.... I MIGHT HAVE THE VET COME BACK OUT TO DO A BLOOD TEST OR WHAT OTHER KIND OF TEST CAN I GET?

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 897
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Susan. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, very tragic. What is Taffy's daughter's name? Sounds like she is preggo, and getting pretty close. There is a urine test you can do, but she might be to far along for that. Here is the link if you want to check it out...http://www.weefoal.com/. Will she let you feel around her flank area for baby movement?

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HER NAME IS SPIRIT. I NAMED HER THAT WHEN I GOT HER BECUASE SHE WAS SOOO AWNRY. SHE HATED ME. BUT AFTER THE STUD WAS JUMPING ON HER FOR A COUPLE MONTHS SHE GOT SOOOO SWEET. NOW I CAN TOUCH THIS MARE ANYWHERE AND SHE DONT MIND, BUT IF I TRY TO TOUCH HER SIDE AND JUST HOLD MY HAND THERE SHE DONT LIKE IT. SHE TRYS TO MOVE AWAY. NOW I CAN RUB HER BELLY ALL DAY LONG AND SHE ENJOYS IT BUT ITS JUST WHEN I'M STILL. I TRIED JUST WATCHING HER BELLY BUT I DIDNT SEE ANYTHING. HER TAIL IS REALLY LOOSE AND KINDA HANGING LOW, I CHECKED HER VULVA AND I DONT KNOW IF ITS ANY LONGER BUT IT IS KINDA APART JUST A TINY BIT, IN THE PAST MONTH OR SO SEEN SOME WHITISH COLORED MUCUS. HER UDDERS TODAY ARE STILL THE SAME. SHE IS THOUGH EATING NON STOP. BUT NOT GAINING WIEGHT ANYWHERE ELSE EXCEPT HER BELLY. I DONT LIKE THE WAY SHE LOOKS. THE OTHERS THAT ARE WITH HER LOOK GREAT, AND I HARDLY EVER SEE THEM EAT.
BACK BY HER TAIL AND ON EACH SIDE OF SPINE IN THE BACK IS REALLY MUSHY.
I WONDER IF THIS COULD JUST BE SHES THIN. I DONT SEE HOW THOUGH.
I'M FEEDING ALFALF WITH TIMOTHY AND CLOVER PLUS GRAIN AND CALF MANNA. I TRIED TO SEPERATE HER YESTERDAY AND SHE TRIED TO JUMP THE FENCE TO GET TO THE OTHERS SO I HAD TO PUT HER BACK. I WANTED TO MONITOR HER AND FEED HER EXTRA SPECIAL, SO NOW I'M FEEDING ALL OF THEM EXTRA SPECIAL. LOL
SHES NOT REAL LOW BUT WIDE, YOU CANT SEE HER RIBS BUT YOU CAN DEFINETLY FEEL HER SPINE AND HIP BONES. ITS DRIVING ME NUTS. I DONT WANT TO FOUNDER HER BY OVER FEEDING HER BUT IF SHE IS BRED I KNOW THE NUTRIENTS ARE GOING ALL TO THE BABY AND NOT HER. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Susan. I would try putting some electric tape up, so she don't jump the fence. I think she should be seperated if you really think she is pregnant. If she is pregnant, and you don't seperate her then she could have the foal with the others, and they could kill it. As far as being able to see her spine, if she is pregnant, that is because of the weight of the baby. Once you get her seperated then tie her up and put up a hay net so she can eat. While she is eating, start petting and/or scratching her a little then try putting you hand on her flank to feel for the baby. I found that the foal was usually pretty active when mom was eating her dinner. As far as over feeding her, I'd be careful. My vet keeped warning me to not overfeed my mare, because if I did and she got to fat then she could have a hard time foaling. This is true for all horses, mini's too. If back by her tail and on each side of her spine in the back is really mushy, that's usually means they are getting close. It would be really helpful if you could post some pics of her.

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'LL GO TAKE SOME PICS AND LET YOU SEE, BUT BEFORE YOU LOOK AT THE PICS. LOL I HAD TO CUT MOST OF HER HAIR WITH SCISSORS. SHE LOOKS REALLY CHOPPY LOOKING LIKE A SHEEP. BUT WOW SHE HAD SOME LONG HAIR. I'M GOING TO BE GETTING SOME GOOD SHAVERS AND THEN IT WILL LOOK BETTER. BUT ILL GET PICS OF HER BELLY, OH SHES BIGGER ON ONE SIDE TO. I'LL GET SOME OF HER UDDERS AND VULVA SO YOU CAN SEE.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 901
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good Susan, and if you can take a picture of where she tried to jump the fence, so I can get a better idea of how you can keep her from jumping out again.

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH SHOOT I FORGOT TO TAKE A PIC OF THE BARN DOOR, I'M GOING TO BE FIXING THAT THIS EVENING. WELL HUBBY IS... LOL
HERE IS THE TWO SIDES OF HER.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/xx.jpg

HERES THE OTHER SIDE.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/xxx.jpg
NOW IT JUST GOT DONE RAINING HERE AND IS A MUDDY MESS. HER HAIR LOOKS FUNNY TO. LOL

YOU CAN SEE HOW LOW HER TAIL IS AND HER BELLY. I THINK RIGHT NOW ITS MORE WIDE THEN LOW. WHO KNOWS.

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'M DOWNLOADING THE OTHER PICS. IT TAKES A LONG TIME.

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HERES THE VULVA PIC
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/xxxx.jpg

HERES A PIC OF HER UDDERS. I SEE MORE IN FRONT OF HER UDDERS STARTING TO DO SOMETHING...
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/xxxxx.jpg

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 905
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like she could be prego, but her udder still has a way to go. I don't think her topline looks bony at all. I think she is at a good weight. If you want to know if she is prego, then I would do what I suggested, and tie her up and let her eat while you feel for the baby to move. Sometimes I would have to wait 5 minutes before I felt anything, so be patient. Here are some pics of my mare a few hours before she gave birth. http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0320082032.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0319081739b.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0318081952a.jpg

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

susan: I second the motion...I say YES, she is prego. If she's a maiden (I assuming that she is), she may not develop much of a bag. I would say that if you are seeing the glands in front of the udder developing...you're probably going to be a mom sometime within the next month. I hope that you are blessed with this possible new arrival!

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I WILL DO THAT. I THINK SHES BONY, YOU CAN COUNT EACH INDIVIDUAL BONE IN HER SPINE ALL THE WAY DOWN TO HER TAIL. YOU CANT SEE HER RIBS BUT I THINK THATS BECAUSE SHES SOOO WIDE. I'LL TRY DOING WHAT YOU SUGGESTED AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
THANKS

wanda
Yearling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not know if all mares show them quite as well as my mare did but she got very large milk veins that run along the under belly all the way back to her udder..that is how I discovered she was pregnant...I looked at your pics but due to her currly hair I couldn't tell..buy maybe you can run your hand along her belly to see...

I also could see the baby moving when my mare ate also..in the flank area..

Good luck..hope you get a baby!!!!

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELLO ALL, I CHECKED SPIRIT AND DID NOT FEEL NO MILK VIENS AND STILL CAN NOT FIND ANY MOVEMENT. SO I DONT KNOW IF SHES PREGNANT OR NOT. I'M GOING TO TRY AND GET THE WEEFOAL TEST AND SEE WHAT IT SAYS OR JUST WAIT IT OUT. TIME WILL TELL.... LOL

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, Susan, I was just at the same position a couple of weeks ago or so. I didn't think my mare was pregnant. I was so bummed. Then a few days later I noticed she just bloomed overnight it seemed and now I'm see some good movement. I hope your mare is doing the same thing and she's pregnant. I will say a prayer for you. I know how anxious you must be, How far along do you think she is?

God bless, Marilyn

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MARILYN,
WELL IF SHES PREGNANT SHES DUE THIS MONTH OR NEXT. DONT REALLY KNOW FOR SURE AS THEY WERE TOGETHER AND STILL ARE SINCE LAST FEB. SO WHO KNOWS. I'LL KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED.
I WANT ONE SO BAD I THINK I JUST WANT TO BELIEVE SHE IS.
WE'LL SEE

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, I reread your original post on this thread. I really do feel for you. I can tell you love your horses and your grief at losing three, is palpable.

Since you have another possible pregnant horse, I would like to put in my two cents, if I may. If I am out of line, then I apologize. I am not completely familiar with your situation.

One of the things I would suggest, is that you read under some of the threads and learn about immunity in new foals. It is critical that a person understand this. Many foals die because of an immune deficiency because they do not get enough good colostrum. And there are other things to know, that will help you in deciding to call a vet or not-when to intervene-or not. Again, if you know all this already, I apologize for butting in.

It looks like it has rained a lot where you are. Perhaps you have a nice clean foaling stall or something of the sort, but if not, I would suggest you figure out something that gets the mare and pending foal out of the mud. I imagine that what the pictures showed is just temporary housing, until something dryer can be built? But for certain, the foaling mare has to be in a clean, dry shelter. At the very least, a raised plywood floor with sides, a gate and a tarp for cover, so you can keep straw in and the baby in as well. Don't want it slipping under anything and winding up in the cold.

I had no idea some of these things happen. I remember reading a story by one author-I want to say Charlene, but not sure. Anyway, the foal slipped under the gaps in the enclosure and mama could not get to it and it almost died from exposure. Obviously, foals can't figure out how to get back in once they slip out, while napping.

Well, as soon as read it I started lining my 24'x24' pole corral with three foot high particle board! That wasn't the first time that reading these posts sent me into action. I am still a novice, but wow! I know so much more than when I started! I'd never heard of an IgG, for instance. And I don't have a lot of money. So I improvise and usually, there is a way to come up with something suitable, even if it isn't the barn of my dreams! LOL

Also, it is really important you have a vet you trust. It is perfectly fine to ask the questions that concerned you at the time. I realize they might not have been formed into a question until later, but it is alright to ask if cutting up the foal will hurt the mare?" I understand the shock of the situation though. Really horrible what you had to go through and I doubt there was anything you could do.

But if you have a bad feel for the guy, get a different vet if you can. Be open with them. Don't be afraid to ask questions and raise concerns. I have found that most appreciate being able to communicate freely.

If you are stuck with the one you have, then again, voice your concerns. It will go a long way in creating a working relationship with him.

As far as the vet damaging the uterus, I don't know. I doubt it, because they are trained to know where to place those instruments. But that is an uneducated guess, so I'll leave that to the more experienced to answer, if they wish.

Also, I raised dogs at one time too. The experience helps, but horses really are a whole different animal! We can't compare humans or dogs, to them when it comes to pregnancy and delivery and postpartum care.

I don't know for certain how long you have been on the board, but I would like to give you an official welcome. And I wish you the very best with your horses! Please keep us posted on the possibly pregnant mare, okay?

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJSKIP,

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO TELL ME. BUT WHERE I TOOK THE PIC IS JUST A DRY LOT, WELL MUDDY NOW, I PUT THEM IN WHEN I'M LETTING THE PASTURE GROW. IT ALSO HAS A SMALL LEAN TO WITH 4 SIDES FULL OF STRAW FOR THEM TO GET INTO OUT OF THE MUD AND RAIN. I ALSO JUST BUILT ANOTHER BARN THATS WHERE I HAD TAFFY. OF COURSE ITS DRY AND HAD ALOT OF STRAW IN THERE AND AN OUTSIDE RUN.
IN THE ONE PIC OF SPIRIT, IT HAD JUST GOT DONE RAINING HERE AND YES SHE ROLLED, LIKE ALL HORSES DO, SO SHE WAS MUDDY. I TAKE REALLY GOOD CARE OF MY BABIES. IF SPIRIT IS PREGNANT SHE WILL BE MOVED TO THE FOALING BARN AND SHE WILL BE MUD FREE, AS FOR THE OTHERS, I'VE BEEN LETTING THEM IN THE PASTURE A COUPLE HOURS A DAY SO THE DRY (MUD) LOT CAN DRY UP SOME.
ANYWAY I'LL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED ON SPIRIT...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good news Susan. You do sound very compassionate and caring about your four hooved creatures and I figured it might be something like that.

Hope you didn't think that was a judgement against you. I just know I've learned so very much here and wanted to pass on some of the other stuff as well,. that being a novice, you might not know. So as one novice to another, there is just so much information to absorb! I'm learning as I go, as I'm sure you are too, or you wouldn't be here. Hope I didn't sound preachy. as I know I do sometimes. Honestly, just want to help out a fellow woman horse lover! LOL

susan lewis
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJSKIP, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. I KNOW ALOT ABOUT HORSES BUT THIS IS ALL NEW WHEN IT COMES TO THE PREGNANT MARE AND FOALING AND I JUST LOVE THIS SITE. I HAVE LEARNED SOOOO MUCH ON HERE ALLREADY.
WELL I WAS OUT WITH THE HORSES JUST A LITTLE BIT AGO AND I THINK SPIRIT IS IN HEAT... LOL SHE WAS DRIPPING SOME WHITISH COLORED MUCUS FROM HER VULVA AND ACTING AWNRY TOWARDS MY STUD AND THE OTHER MARE. I DIDNT SEE HER WINK BUT SHES ACTING A LITTLE STRANGE. I COULD BE WRONG... WHO KNOWS. THE OTHER MARE IS ALSO IN HEAT AND SHE HAD THE SAME MUCUS. MY STUD BRED HER TODAY. IF IT TAKES TILL NEXT YEAR TO GET A BABY THEN I'LL WAIT. LOL
FOR NOW I THINK I'M GOING TO BUY A WEANLING TO ADD TO MY HEARD. NOT SURE YET.
THANKS CJSKIP FOR ALL YOUR CONCERN...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 516
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Susan, I didn't know you have a stud. Sounds like you do have a lot of experience with horses and I totally agree-the pregnancy and foaling is a whole other ball game!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US