SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Vet Visit!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Vet Visit! « Previous Next »

KLEE
Weanling
Username: Klee

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yipeee!!!

The vet is coming this morning, hopefully i will have something to tell you after lunch time.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with the visit Klee, I hope this visit will put your mind at ease.

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

The vet rectally examined glen, but we had to twitch her. she said she couldnt feel a foal and is 100% sure she is empty. she put all the jabbing and bulging movements down to gas. I thought i was going mad but even caught it on camera.

not really dissappointed as i never wanted a mare in foal anyway but i suppose it would have been kind of nice.

now all i am worried about is bringing a horse back into work which is now acting like a barm pot from all the good feed, lush grazing and ad-lib haylage, she will probably try and kill me when i get on her again!!!

wish me luck and thankyou from the bottom of my heart to all of you who offered me help support and advice as it was much needed, and all the very best with your new babies and babies to come.

layla

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE...sorry that she is not pregnant..but now at least you can begin enjoying riding her again! I suggest lots of lunging before you get on :-) and be ready for those pitiful neighs when you cut her off the goodies :-(

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jan, I have to say I am releived as I was ill prepared, but people keep putting the seed of doubt in my mind saying that their mares have had pregnancies missed as late as 7/8 months even though they were palped and u/s.

So she took her temp and put her hand up her bottom at which time the mare totally tensed her whole body and really arched her back, i am 5'4 and the vet is about 5'1 and the horse is 16.1hh, please tell me there is no way she could have missed it, the last person i spoke to today on our yard said, you can feel it and see it moving, that is rediculous and she just keeps getting bigger, you are going to come up one day and there will be a foal. So now i am worrying again.

Any reassurance? of course i have to trust the vet but i have read so many horror stories!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...I would begin normal excercise and go with your vet and see if she drops weight...Her udder will probably be your only tell tale sign...is there any sign of any developemnt there? There are those pregnancy that go undetected but if you keep a watchful eye you should be able to see if there are any changes going on in her udder department. keep us posted...

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is her udder, taken 3 days apart this week, i dont know how long the bag takes to develop once it starts, both taken at the same time of day when she had been out all day.

not much i know but i see a little change.
[IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/layla89glen/024.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/layla89glen/016.jpg[/IMG]

Beth Sanford
Weanling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry the vet didn't have a favorable diagnosis for a foal, I know it is a bit of a letdown. I've had a vet miss my mare 11 times before, with 6 palpations, 4 u/s, and a blood test. So if you continue to see udder changes, well, there may still be a bun in the oven yet! The mare I had missed repeatedly doesn't get large, have a bag, or anything....she just has a baby and her milk comes in at that time. She's bred now and looks fuller through the belly than she did last time. We'll see.....

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klee, I'm sorry to hear about your mare. It's so hard to wonder, is she, isn't she. Can you buy a WeeFoal Kit and find out that way?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klee, my heart goes out to you! How crazy! Is there any such thing as false pregnancy in mares? Or maybe she was bred much later than you thought?

I would give her exercise, but still feed her a normal feeding, but not all she wants like you might do if she is pregnant, untill you know for sure. Watch her udder and try the foal detection kit.

Please keep us posted Klee. It will be interesting to hear the outcome, but I am sorry you have to go through so much uncertainty with two little ones to care for.

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI everyone, bad news, i found my mare laid out in the field, i got the vet out, she cant walk, her abdomen is even more distended, the vet asks if she windsucks, i said she does, the vet says she has chronic gastric ulcers and producing alot of wind, hence the belly, she is lame again in her two from feet and it took 5 of us to get her to the stable where she fell over, she was given a couple of drugs and said her wquality of life is severley compromised and she may have to be PTS. i have some time to see how sh egoes but she said the problem wont go away and its a twisted gut waiting to happen, which she would have to be pts for.

i am a wreck, first we thought we might be getting a new foal and in the same day i might lose my mare to some horrible stomache condition.

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww Klee, what a dreadful day you have had. I hope she recovers quickly, poor poor mare.
(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) for you, Jane

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE
I am so sorry for you. Here in the States, we refer to it as "cribbing" and it can cause gastro problems including colic.

I truly hope she has not twisted an intestine.

I am hoping the best for you.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE, I am so sorry. Prayers for you and your mare.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klee~wow what a ton of bricks to fall...one disappointment right into the next...I will keep you and yours in my prayers as you try to recover from the shock of it all. Hopefully somehow she will pull through. HUGS

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no Klee, I can't stand to hear what you're going through. It breaks my heart. Your poor mare, I hope she'll recover quickly.Please know you're in my thoughts and prayers. Please continue to keep us informed.

A big hug for you, Marilyn

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, yeah we call it cribbing/crib biting here or windsucking.

I dread what i will find this morning, needless to say i am angry with the vet who came yesterday am as although she said she was not in foal she didnt pick up on a quitean obvious problem, i even explained how in two weeks she had gone from looking normal to looking heavily pregnant.

another vet came from the same practice and seemed to know what was going on instantly, she said if she isnt pregnant she is severely ulcerated and in alot of pain, along with the persistant lameness she said i have got some serious decisions to make.

never had to make a decision like this before, i hope she is up and munching oinhay when i go.

fingers crossed everyone

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when my last horse died it was kind of out of my hands and it all happened very quickly, whereas i have to actually think about ending her life, it breaks my heart.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may be a little bit of a wild thought, but could the vet who orginally palpated her, have torn her when palpating? Or punctured something internally?

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam,
I doubt it. What's going on with this mare is down in her guts, doesn't have a thing to do with her repro organs. Palpation doesn't even come close to that area (intestines). Rectum and you are feeling around the repro organs.

Cribbers drive me nuts. Its such a dangerous habit and once you get one started they never stop. Once they learn about the "endorphin high" it never stops. Hard to get/keep weight on. Compound that with ulcers and I think the biggest worry I would have with this mare right now is that she is perforated/twisted (stomach and/or intestines) and you have the danger of peritonitis setting in. At that point its a lost cause.

Chronic distension is caused by constantly swallowing air "wind sucking/cribbing". The distension then leads to abdominal pain which increases digestive juices (i.e., acid) which leads to the ulcers. Its a vicious cycle.

Palpation didn't do that. I agree that the first vet visit should have been more extensive, "Okay, she isn't preggo, sowhat's going on here?" but the palpation didn't cause the problem. It already existed.

The hope now is that she didn't twist a gut or has a perforation. But if not, then it becomes a huge management issue. Obviously, she is a pretty dedicated cribber. You have to stop the cribbing and in one that is hell-bent on it, its almost impossible.

I have seen a gelding that was such a dedicated cribber that he would pick up a strand of barb wire and suck on it. It would stick his tongue, whatever.
The really dedicated ones know all about the "endorphin high" and thats about like trying to break a heroin habit in a human.

I had another gelding that was an "outstanding" cribber. He was so good that a cribbing strap never even slowed him down (he would about suffocate himself to do it). We tried a muzzle on him and he got good enough that he would press down on the muzzle and get ahold of one of the aluminum bars with his teeth and "go to town". His habit was so ingrained and he was so addicted that he wouldn't even eat. He would suck on his bucket rather than eat his grain.

Its wild when you get a really "passionate" one.

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine you are right,

its her gut that is irreprably damaged, also she has had a colic, run riot in pain and snapped a suspensory ligament, she is doped up at the moment and is being put to sleep thursday when the best provisions can be put in place. she has a cribbing collar but cribs nonetheless.

I dont want her to suffer any longer. this is the worst day of my life so far.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klee~Warm hugs and deep sympathy as you help her on her journey to the rainbow!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klee,
I am so sorry. So it sounds like there is a soundness issue with her as well as her gastrointestinal problems.

I am so very sorry.

A suspensory ligament damaged? Is her fetlock entirely to the ground? Did it completely rupture and/or is bone involved. I've seen some pretty drastic suspensory ligament injuries on racehorses that did require euthanasia in the end. It just depends on the extent of the injury.

With her stomach/gut problems too, poor girl is probably miserable and I can understand why you are having to face this decision.

My heart breaks for you and I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with this.

wanda
Yearling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH KLEE...My heart aches for you...I know this has to be a horrific decision to have to make...but I know you are keeping her best interest at heart...but I am sure it doesn't make it any easier....

Hugs & prayers!!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE, I am so sorry. She is sure lucky to live out her few remaining days with a caring owner like you. Prayers and hugs.

Emily

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks eveyone, i am bringing all you happy foal people down I am sorry but in a couple of days i have been from having a mare possibly in foal to having one with serious problems, the tendon is badly ruptured, she cant stand on it at all its awful, and because of the additional stress she is just cribbing constantly, the vet said he counted 17 sucks in 2 minutes, he said there is something seriously wrong which could result in sudden death or twisted gut/colics and a life of stomache pain and relentless acid stomache which is not going to get better only worse and given that her leg is now badly damaged and she is sweating and swelled up, and veteran policy only covers for external injury he thinks it is the best for her and told me to stop beating myself up over it as i had given her 5/6 months of good life, good food and love and its the only thing a good friend can do for her at this point.

life sucks,

i just want the whole thing over with, i hate to look in her eyes i just keep crying and my husband is away and i feel alone.

your prayers and hugs are most welcome but my family dont understand, only us kindred spirits with equine love sickness disease can truly understand.

thanks everyone for all your help and support, may your foals be strong and healthy and your mare's all bring their babies into the world safely. layla xxxxxxxxxxxx

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh you poor lady. That is bad that you are so all alone. My husband is very supportive but doesn't really understand the whole "horse person" thing.

I know what you mean about the stress making the cribbing worse. That is so very true.

You know there is a new-type of surgery over here in the States that they are trying that has some limited success with cribbers. They literally cut some of the muscles in the neck (therefore altering the way they hold their head and they can't really get a "fix" on an object). I have heard of some people being happy with it and some not. I've never seen a horse that had it done, so I don't know to what "extent" they alter the head carriage, etc.

I'm not certain of the cost either and not sure if they offer it in Europe or not.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone, I know dont tell me off - this is a foaling forum, i just wanted to let you all know Glen went peacefully this morning after some time in a grassy paddock with her best friend katie. It was quick and she isnt suuffering anymore.

God bless you glen i will miss you always.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/layla89glen/004.jpg[/IMG]

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless your heart. I am so very sorry that this turned into such a rough situation. She is a very pretty horse and I have tears in my eyes thinking about you today.

God bless you and keep you.
Love you,
Cate

susan lewis
Weanling
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE, I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT GLEN. I'M GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING. I JUST SENT TAFFY AND HER BABY TO THE RAINBOW BRIDGE MONDAY. IT HURTS BUT IT DOES GET BETTER I PROMISE.
AGAIN I'M SORRY AND GOD BLESS YOU.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Susan! How are you today sweet lady? I hope all is easing up somewhat.

Bless you and love you too!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE~A quiet moment to remember your sweet horse....

susan lewis
Weanling
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CATHRINE, I'M DOING BETTER... IT STILL IS FRESH IN MY MIND BUT I'M OKAY. I'VE DECIDED NOT TO GIVE UP ON TRYING FOR A BABY. IF AND WHEN I DO GET ONE, IT WILL STAY WITH ME FOREVER. I DONT WANT TO SELL HIM OR HER. I LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS, THIRD TIME IS A CHARM AND IT CANT GET NO WORSE RIGHT?? SO HOPEFULLY THIS NEXT ONE WILL BE BORN HEALTHY AND MOM TO. HORSES ARE MY PASSION. EVERYONES BEEN TELLING ME ( WELL MY FAMILY) TO GIVE UP ON HORSES, I DONT HAVE ANY LUCK WITH THEM, BUT REALLY ITS NOT ABOUT LUCK, IT WOULD OF HAPPENED TO SOMEONE ELSE. I'VE BEEN BREEDING DOGS FOR A LONG TIME AND I'M GOOD AT THAT.. LOL BUT WHY CANT I DO BOTH? SO I'M GOING TO KEEP TRYING...

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan,

sorry to hear of your loss, yours is a double hurt too, its a very sad day here, thanks everyone for hugs and prayers, i know she is in a sunny grassy meadow free of her pain and suffering.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klee, how sad for you! She is much better off than suffering like she was. I'm sorry she had to leave you, but you did the right thing.

Bless you, Marilyn

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US