SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New Worry-HELP-Low Milk Production

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » New Worry-HELP-Low Milk Production « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 462
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little guy is robust at the moment, but had issues learning to nurse. He is 4 days old. I noticed last night that my mare's bag is soft. Still has fullness to it, but not like before.

I've been letting her out because she is antsy in her stall. But she is an easy keeper-never been a big eater. Prefers to graze on dry grass. During the night, she eats about a foot high stack of alfalfa. A little will be left over in the morning. During the day, she doesn't eat much more alfalfa. I cannot feed her in the pasture as other animals will eat it.

I give her about 12-14 pounds of grain a day. She doesn't always eat it all. I've started putting molasses on it agin today, to get her to eat and drink more. I am keeping her in today, except that I plan to let her out for a few hours late afternoon, to strretch her legs and let little guy run around.

I'm thinking that within about four hours after this mornings feeding, I should know if my plan is working. In other words, if she eats more and produces more milk, little one will nurse more and she will continue to produce milk.

If she doesn't get more milk within about four hours, I think I should call the vet.

Is my thinking solid? Should I do something different? I definitely
don't want to wait too long.

KLEE
Weanling
Username: Klee

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish i could offer some advice like you have from me, all i can say - and sorry if this sounds daft, i am breatfeeding at the moment, i suppose us mammals are similar, if the baby is drinking well they never look or feel full and dont fill up well inbetween feeds, but there is always an on-tap supply even when you would think he has drunk it dry, it still comes. the baby is a chubby monster so it might be your little guy is a good eater rather than the mare being a poor milker, it is supply and demand.

i am completely wrong probably!!! lol!!!

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 405
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cj ,i thought the same thing about my mares milk supply but the vet said she was fine,dice does not have much of a bag at all,but the foal is peeing alot so i know he is getting milk,so i would not worry about her milk if the foal is peeing and gaining weight.hope this helps you.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points, you two! Apparently you are right. I called my vet because I didn't want to wait any later on a week-end day. The colt is peeing well.

I'll pass on something I learned: She said alfalfa is more important than the grain.

Klee, I appreciate your comments as well. Any light shed on problems is a plus. And good luck breastfeeding while being in DUHHland! You are a dedicated Mom to two babies-so to speak!

KLEE
Weanling
Username: Klee

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip what does DUHH stand for? LOL!!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 01:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUHH is Tim's annacronim (sp?) for "Dysfunctional Undelivered Horse Handler's Syndrome." LOL Sure fits! Tim is a very experienced man that has shared his fabulous knowledge with the rest of us. Jonathan works with him and has also contributed a great deal as well. Check out some of the other threads. DUHH was born under the thread, "Who is seeing the signs that their mare is about to foal?" Might not be the exact title, but very close. Have fun. Lots of humor there. Will give you a good laugh and you will probably learn something too!

In fact, you can see the posts I submitted, while awaiting my baby-worrying and waiting! LOL

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: I kept my mare in her corral most of the day and made sure she had plenty of alfalfa and of course, clean, cool water. I checked on her about four hours later and her bag was fuller and the baby seems to be nursing better. He doesn't seem overly hungry and is taking his naps.

And for those of you who saw my post about my "dummy" foal, he no longer lets his tongue hang out of the side of his mouth. So I do believe he will be fine!

So all is well! Thanks again for your thoughts and concern.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US