SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

PREGNANT MINI MARE WONT EAT HER GRAIN

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » PREGNANT MINI MARE WONT EAT HER GRAIN « Previous Next »

susan lewis
Nursing Foal
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI, I HAVE A PREGNANT MINI I JUST GOT LAST WEEK. SHE HAS ABOUT 30 DAYS LEFT TO FOAL GIVE OR TAKE 10 DAYS OR SO. I THINK... WELL SINCE I'VE GOT HER SHE DONT REALLY WANT TO EAT HER GRAIN. SOMETIMES IT TAKES HER TILL THE NEXT DAY TO EAT HER MORNING BREAKFAST SO I DONT GIVE HER NO MORE AT DINNER TIME. WELL NOW SHE JUST DONT WANT TO EAT IT AT ALL. SHE GETS MAD TO, SHE'LL GO OVER TO HER BUCKET AND KNOCK IT ON THE GROUND. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT SHE'S TRYING TO TELL ME. MAYBE SHE DONT LIKE IT. ITS JUST A 12% SWEET FEED WITH CALF MANNA. SHE EATS HER HAY JUST FINE. ALFALFA. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS. I'M WORRIED SHES NOT GETTING ENOUGH.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

susan,iam not sure but i would just try one or the other (sweet feed or calf manna )see which one she eats best maybe she doesnt care for one of the two.why do you feed calf manna to a horse???

susan lewis
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELL WHEN I GOT HER, I WAS TOLD BY MY VET TO GIVE HER CALF MANNA AS A SUPPLEMENT. IT EVEN SAYS IT ON THE BAG THAT ITS FOR PREGNANT MARES, STALLIONS FOALS, GOATS, RABBITS AND POULTRY. I WOULDN'T FEED HER THAT IF IT WAS INTENDED FOR HORSES. SHE ONLY GETS 4 OUNCES IN THE MORNING AND 4 OUNCES AT NIGHT.

I JUST DONT KNOW WHY SHE'S NOT EATING HER GRAIN AT ALL. I'VE NEVER HAD A HORSE NOT EAT THERE GRAIN. I'M WONDERING IF ITS JUST THE POSITION OF THE FOAL. WHO KNOWS. I MIGHT TRY AND GET HER SOME DIFFERENT GRAIN AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

wanda
Yearling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not ever had that happen either and I will be the first to admit I am not the most experienced horse person..but one thought that I had was her teeth...do they need floated..how old is she..I would try to look at her teeth and see if they are pointed or ??? Just a thought...I know you said she eats her hay so I don't know that, that would make sense unless the different tecture helped. I have a gelding that likes to eat his feed right off the floor..he will always knock his bucket off the hook..so we feed him off the floor...but I would take Judy's suggestion and try to feed just the sweet feed by itself or the calf manna and see if she will eat them by themself.,...Keep us posted if you figure it out...and good luck on getting the girl to eat...

When is she due...

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 431
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, is it the same grain the previous owner fed? I have a new mare who went an entire week without eating because I switched her feed....eventually, they will eat. If it's a new feed, add a handful or two of the old feed to it. Or try feeding what the old owner fed. If it's the same as the old owner fed, don't worry about her, it's a new situation and a new place....she'll come around when she feels comfortable. if she's eating hay and alfalfa, she'll be fine.

susan lewis
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOD NEWS. TODAY I FED HER JUST THE THE GRAIN AND SHE ATE IT. MAYBE SHE JUST DONT LIKE THE CALF MANNA OR MAYBE THE BABY MOVED... WHO KNOWS. I CALLED THE GUY WHO HAD HER AND HE SAID SHE WASN'T FED GRAIN, ONLY ALFALFA. I THOUGHT THAT WAS KINDA STRANGE. BUT SHES REALLY HEALTHY LOOKING. ACTUALLY OVERWEIGHT. SHE LOVES APPLES AND CARROTS AND EATS THEM LIKE THERES NO TOMORROW. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT HER TEETH BEING FLOATED LATELY BUT I'LL FIND OUT. SHES DUE TO FOAL IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS I ASSUME. THE PREVIOUS OWNER SAID JUNE 22 BUT SHE'S USUALLY A WEEK LATE SO REALLY JUNE 15. I THINK SHE WILL GO SOONER AS HER BAG IS FULL AND HAS A CLEAR FLUID. SHE HAS ALSO DROPPED. OH FOR THE OTHER QUESTION SHE JUST TURNED 15 YEARS OLD. I HAVE ONE OF HER FILLYS FROM A COUPLE YEARS AGO. I CANT WAIT FOR THIS BABY. I'VE GOT HER IN THE BARN AND A LIGHT ON HER WHERE I CAN JUST LOOK OUT MY WINDOW AND SEE EVERYTHING. HOPING TO CATCH HER IN ACTION... LOL SHE'S ALWAYS FOALED ON HER OWN AND WITH NO ONE AROUND BUT I'M HOPING TO GET TO SEE IT. I WANT TO BE THERE ANYWAY JUST IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG BUT WE'LL SEE.
I REALLY LIKE THIS SITE, I'VE GOTTEN SO MUCH HELP. I'LL LET YA ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, my thought is this: put some molasses on her grain. I too have a mare that doesn't eat it all. The sweet molasses does the trick. I pour on about two tablespoons. I just drizzle it over the top of the grain in her feed pan.

How much are you feeding her? I was feeding 12-14 lbs. daily, when my foal was born, but a professor with a doctor's degree in animal science, specializing in horses, told me to cut it back to about 6-8lbs. of grain. She said the alfalfa is the main thing. So if you have to chose between alfalfa or grain, I would give alfalfa.

Also, is she in a stall, or in pasture? If out most of the day, you might need to confine her a little longer, to get her to eat it. I have to start keeping my mare in longer because she loves to be out to pasture. Trouble is, she doesn't get much nourishment from it right now.

Hope you can get it all figured out. I really don't think the position of the foal affects her desire to eat or not eat grain.

Let us know how it all turns out. Good luck to you.

susan lewis
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELLO, THANKS I TRIED BUYING GRAIN WITH ALOT OF MOLLASSES BUT THAT STILL DIDNT DO THE TRICK WITH HER... SHE JUST WANTED HER HAY. I HAD THE SAME PECENTAGE OF GRAIN BUT WITHOUT MOLLASSES AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT SHE LIKES IT. SHE ATE BOTH BREAKFAST AND DINNER YESTERDAY. I FEED HER NOW ABOUT 2 LBS IN THE MORNING AND 2 LBS AT NIGHT IF SHE EATS IT ALL. IF SHE DONT THEN I DONT GIVE HER ANYMORE GRAIN. MY OTHER MINIS ONLY GET 2 LBS A DAY AND THERE HAY. THEY LOOK GREAT AND LOVE TO EAT... LOL

TAFFY IS PUT IN A HUGE STALL RIGHT NOW. I CANT PUT HER OUT TO EAT ON THE PASTURE AS ITS ALL FESCUE GRASS. WHEN I GOT HER SHE WAS ON A DRY LOT AND HAS NEVER HAD ACCESS TO GRASS.
I DID HAVE A QUESTION THOUGH. WHEN SHE HAS THE BABY CAN I PUT HER IN THE PASTURE OR WILL IT AFFECT THE MILK PRODUCTION? I'LL ALWAYS FEED ALFALFA TO, BUT WAS JUST WONDERING. SHE LOVES IT.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aFTER THE FIRST WEEK OR 2 YOU CAN PUT HER ON THE PASTURE AND IT WILL BE JUST FINE. i ALWAYS BUSH HOG THE TOPS OFF OF MY FEILDS TO PREVENT FOUNDER AND HAVE Also heard it prevent fescue toxity.
CALF MANNA is a wonderful suppliment I love it!!! but be careful with feeding all that hot feed to a pony as they founder easily any how.
Some horses do not like molasses at all exspecially if they've never had anything sweet. My stallion was fed calf mana and pellets without molasses and it took him forever to eat feed with molasses on it I think he only started bc the other horses were eating it, but to much Molasses gives him an attitude malfunction so I rarely feed it to him.

susan lewis
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MORE NEWS!!! TAFFY HAS WAXED UDDERS. I CHECKED HER TODAY AND SHE IS FULL AND TIGHT. WHEN I CHECKED HER UDDERS THEY WERE WAXED OVER AND SO I CHECKED THE COLOR OF THE MILK AND ITS OFF WHITE. A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO IT WAS WHITE. WHEN I CHECKED AGAIN SHE WAS DRIPPING MILK AND FINALLY WAXED OVER AGAIN. I THINK IT WILL BE SOON. SHES BEEN RUBBING HER TAIL ON THE WALL AND HER TAIL IS NOT SO PRETTY ANYMORE. LOL SHE'S SOFT IN THE BACK END AND HER VULVA IS REALLY ELONGATED. I WONDER HOW LONG SHE HAS TO GO. SHE HASN'T ROLLED OR ANYTHING YET. I HAVE NOTICED IN THE LAST 3 OR 4 DAYS SHES NOT AS WIDE AS BEFORE. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK??

susan lewis
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH HERES A PIC OF HER UDDERS. WAXED OVER
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/TAFFYSUDDER002.jpg

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a baby yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan~You are getting close perhaps a a few more days....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US