SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HELP NEEDED URGENT!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » HELP NEEDED URGENT!!! « Previous Next »

KLEE
Nursing Foal
Username: Klee

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please can somone look at the photos (please dont look if yo are squeemish! there are pics of vulva's!! And tell me if my mare is close to foaling???

glen has bagged alot more, is weeing alot her poop is loose, i have never seen her vulva like that, her belly is very low, her bag seems bigger from yesterday and i couldnt get a good shot of it but her vertabret is sticking out like kinda flat in the hips where she is usually goose rumped!!!

can someone tell me if i need to stay with her tonight?? she is very quiet, eating her haylage, and has walked around quite a bit, but no pawing or other classic signs of labour as yet!!
HELP!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

klee...where are the photos posted?

KLEE
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops! in blind panic i forgot! here they come

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/layla89glen/027.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/layla89glen/021.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/layla89glen/016.jpg[/IMG]

Here they are sorry!

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And whats that yellow stuff on her vulva, her wee is that colour towards the end of urination.

Well I have to go - looks like no one about to help at the moment, her i go again, another night at the stables!!!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klee,
I predict she is within one day to several days. She doesn't seem to have waxed yet. Yeah, it looks like a bit of wee-wee on her vulva.
Hate to tell you this, but it could be tonight, could be next week....
Do you know her exact due date?

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what the yellow is, but when there is a slight opening in the vulva, my vet says that means she'll be foaling soon. I wish I could give you more information, but I really can't. I'm sorry. Good luck, it seems like it'll be very soon.

Marilyn

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klee....I still think you may have some time left...is there anything in her bag yet? It looks like it can still fill out some.

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say that Maybelline's vulva gaped on and off for about 6 weeks before she foaled so it isn't a reliable sign. Like Jan says her bag isn't very big yet but that can change in hours..especially with a maiden mare.

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE:

She is eating like she has never been fed, she is walking about round and round, she is pushing her bottom up against the stable door and tries to get out every time the door is open, she is usually very placid.

her bag isnt that big and i have been told the size of the bag can be relevant or not and the waxing is hit and miss, therefore unreliable.

no i dont know the due date or the sire, i didnt even know she was pregnant until about a week and a half ago!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Klee..we will be here for you till she foals but Jane will attest that you might have to have a mountain of patience as you wait for the unknown...Hang in there!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry kid, but she will probably foal when she gets ready. Honestly, I'm not trying to be a "smarty"; I've seen them do all sorts of things over the years that you would swear they were going to foal in the next hour and it would be anywhere from a week to a month later.
They will get uncomfortable toward the end and exhibt many "strange" signs. "Toward the end" may mean tonight to one mare and next month to another.
Unfortunately they don't come with a timer that "dings" when the baby is ready to come out.
Hang in there and yes, get prepared for some interrupted sleep.
We are rooting for you!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 458
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 01:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Klee, just read some of the past posts and you will see there are a wide range of signs for a mare. My mare did a lot of pre-labor stuff weeks before she foaled. I sat out in the cold, sat in my car, slept on the straw, slept in a pick-up truck. She would push her butt on the fence, raise her tail, eat more, eat less. I wanted a definitive sign. Some swear by one sign or another. You have to try the suggestions, and be patient and realize she will foal when she is good and ready, probably when you aren't looking! LOL.

Welcome to DUHHdom! Don't worry though. We have all been there or are there, so you have lots of company!

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol!

thanks everyone, i have just arrived home after a non productive night at the stables, i swear she paced and paced and got up and down then got down started moaning and gave huge sighs, and i thought - this is it!

then she fell asleep for 3 hours flat out!!!

its about 8.30 am now lol! you are all wonderful its great to have a laugh about it, i know there are many signs but i have never done this before so i am completely neurotic!!! and tired!!! lol!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 461
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE: I'm there with ya! Until my foal was born I swore "this is it" several times. It is my first time too. Hang in there. She's making progress. I think the fact you are watching her so closely will help. You will learn her "normal" behavior as a pregnant horse and when you see some of the "signs" and then if you see something different, you have a heads up and might be one of the lucky ones to see that little one come into the world! The real trick is to not get too tired out. LOL

We are here for you. We understand the support you need and while I am still a novice, with only one foal under my belt, I'll share what I know/experienced. The people on this board are fabulous. And I cannot imagine how I would feel if I found out my horse was pregnant AND "due" any day! As it was, I learned she was "due" a month earlier than I thought-sent me into a panic for a week or so, until I got ready. Then-waited and waited and waited!

KLEE
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip,

I hear you! I was a massive shock to the system, I had a baby 6 months ago, he is still breast fed, I lost my last mare aged 13 about a year ago and i needed time out so had another baby - only number 2, my daughter is 4, i decided 4 weeks after he was born life was too short to let grief deprive some poor equine of a good home so i looked, saw glen, she was described as a reliable hack, well schooled and ideal for a mother/daughter share. just the job, or so i thought! i came i saw i pitied now i nearly have 2!!! she was advertised for 1500, approx $3000 ish but because she was in such a pitiful state i git her for 800 about $1600. bit of a bargain if all goes well!!!! but........after a hard and expensive winter - no riding for me!!!! booooo!!! suppose its all worth it!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US