SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HUGE PREGNANT MINI MARE QUESTION??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » HUGE PREGNANT MINI MARE QUESTION?? « Previous Next »

susan lewis
Neonate
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'VE GOT A MINI MARE AND I WAS TOLD SHE WAS DUE TO FOAL JUNE 22 BUT SHE IS SOOO BIG, I DONT SEE HER MAKING IT THAT LONG. HER BAG IS FULL AND ITS CLEAR. HER VULVA IS ELONGATED BUT SHE'S BEEN A BROODMARE AND I KNOW THIS IS AT LEAST HER 4TH FOAL. I'VE GOT ONE OF HER FILLYS FROM TWO YEARS AGO AND JUST BOUGHT HER YESTERDAY. BY THE LOOKS OF HER I DONT SEE HOW SHE CAN GO ANY LONGER. I DONT KNOW HOW TO SEND A PIC THROUGH HERE BUT IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE HER AND LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY THINK I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
THANKS

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Susan, I would love to see a pic of your mare. Just go to photobucket.com and open an account, then upload your photos to photopucket. When you get them there just click on the direct link to copy it, and then paste it here on your post.

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HERES THE LINK TO MY MARE TAFFY. I'M DOING MORE NOW SO YOU CAN SEE A SIDE VIEW OF HER. SHE IS HUGE!!!
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/taffy010.jpg

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 870
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!! You weren't kidding when you said she is huge. Do you have any pics of her udder? She is very cute. Do you know what color the stallion is that she was bred to?

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'M DOWNLOADING THE OTHER PIC NOW. YEAH HER UDDER IS HUGE, AND EVEN IN THIS SECOND PIC I'M DOWNLOADING YOU CAN SEE HER UDDERS. THE STALLION SHE WAS BRED TO IS A BLACK AND WHITE TOBIANO. HE IS BEAUTIFUL. I'VE GOT ONE OF HIS LITTLE STUD COLTS.
NOW THIS MARE WILL BE 15 THIS YEAR AND I DONT KNOW HOW MANY BABIES SHE'S HAD. I KNOW FOR SURE THOUGH OF 3 AND THIS ONE WILL BE NO. 4. JUST WONDERING IF SINCE SHE'S NOT A MAIDEN MARE SHE WILL GET BIGGER THEN OTHERS WHEN SHE'S PREGNANT. DO YOU THINK SHE WILL GO TO JUNE 22??

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HERES ANOTHER PIC OF HER. THESE PICS WERE TAKEN YESTERDAY.. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/taffy009.jpg?t=12100193 18

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twins? Have you had an ultrasound done on her? She looks absolutely gigantic.

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I JUST GOT HER YESTERDAY. SO I HAVEN'T HAD A VET OUT YET. WHATS THE POSSIBILITY OF TWINS? AND WHATS THE ODDS OF THEM BEING BORN ALIVE? I REALLY HOPE SHE'S NOT HAVING TWINS. SHE JUST LOOKS WAY TO BIG TO GO TILL JUNE 22. I THINK THEY HAVE THE DATE WRONG.

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 872
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you ask the previous owners about her foaling history? Like how many days gestation did she go with her previous pregnancys, etc. I hope for your sake and hers that she is not carrying twins. Is she a buckskin? If so, she could have a palomino. I like palominos. Do you have any pics of her udder?

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HAVEN'T TAKEN ANY OF HER UDDER BUT YOU CAN SEE IT IN THE SECOND PIC. ITS DEFINETLY FULL BUT IT CAN BE BIGGER. ITS FULL OF CLEAR FLUID AND ITS NOT JUST LIKE A DROP FULL OR ANYTHING IT SQUIRTS OUT!!
ANYWAY I TALKED TO THE PREVIOUS OWNER AND THEY SAID THAT THE STUD WAS WITH THEM FROM MAY TO AUG. 1ST. BUT THEY THINK SHE BRED IN JULY AND THATS WHERE SHE CAME UP WITH THE JUNE 22ND AND THAT SHE'S USUALLY A WEEK LATE.
SO WHO KNOWS, SHE LOOKS TO ME LIKE SHE'S GOING TO POP AT ANY MOMENT. I DID LOOK AT HER VULVA AND ITS REALLY ELONGATED BUT THAT COULD BE FROM PREVIOUS FOALS. THIS IS MY FIRST PREGNANT MARE. I'VE GOT ONE MINI BRED TO HAVE A FOAL NEXT YEAR BUT THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME.
OH SHES A DUN. SHE IS BEAUTIFUL. I THINK FOR SURE ALONG WITH HER BELLY BEING BIG THAT SHE'S OVERWIEGHT.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 874
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she was with the stud from May to Aug, then I bet they are just guessing wrong on her due date. She is problally due anytime now. That is so cool she is a dun. I thought so, but couldn't tell for sure. My mare is a dun also, and just had her first foal on 3/20. She had a dun tobiano filly, and the stud was also a black and white tobiano( homozygous for the black gene ).

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'VE GOT ONE OF TAFFYS FILLYS FROM A COUPLE YEARS AGO. SHES A BUCKSKIN TOBIANO BUT TAFFT WAS ALSO BRED TO A TRI COLOR PAINT. I'M HOPING TO GET A BLACK AND WHITE TOBIANO FROM TAFFY. THATS WHAT I REALLY WANT. BUT REALLY JUST ONES THATS HEALTHY. THE ONLY THING WITH HER BEING A DUN IS I DIDNT THINK THAT DUN COULD HAVE THE DAPPLING. THATS WHAT I'VE READ. I THINK SHE IS JUST BEAUTIFUL. HER MAIN AND BANGS ARE JUST PERFECT AND LONG. ITS JUST THAT HUGE BELLY I'M WORRIED ABOUT...

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan~That is the largest little pregnant girl I have ever seen :-) She is darling:-) Fingers and toes crossed that she delivers soon for you!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, I think they are most likely wrong on the "guessed" date. I would still have a vet check her out. She is abnormally large.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 875
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the stud homozygous for the black gene? That's funny you mentioned the dappling, because my mare has it now too, and she didn't have it before she was pregnant. My breeder said that it means I have her in show condition with all the good grocerys she has been getting. Here is a picture of my mare Baby http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0417081931.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0427081923b.jpg

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHARLENE, WOW YOU HAVE SOME BEAUTIFUL HORSES. I CANT WAIT FOR MY BABY. THIS WILL BE MY FIRST ONE. WELL TO BE TOTALLY HONEST MY SECOND. I BOUGHT A MINI MARE IN LATE NOVEMBER AND SHE WAS ONLY A YEAR OLD AND ON APRIL 14 THIS YEAR SHE HAD A BABY. I DIDNT EVEN KNOW. SHE WASN'T EVEN 2 YEARS OLD YET. SHE HAD BEEN EATING FESCUE AND GRAIN BUT IF I WOULD OF KNOWN SHE WAS PREGNANT I MAYBE COULD OF SAVED THE BABY. I GUESS THE BABY DIED AFTER BIRTH OR BEFORE. I WONT EVER REALLY KNOW. I WAS SOOOO HEARTBROKEN. MY MARE DIDNT EVEN GET BIG. SHE HAD ALOT OF HAIR BUT I ONLY NOTICED A WEEK BEFORE SHE HAD IT. SHE HAD A BAG AND MY VET SAID SHE MIGHT OF GOTTEN A BAG FROM THE HAY...AND THAT SHE WAS TO YOUNG.
THE VET WAS GOING TO COME OUT ON THAT FOLLOWING MONDAY AND DO A BLOOD TEST AND IT WAS TO LATE, SHE HAD THE BABY LATE SUNDAY.
ANYWAY THIS MARE I GOT IS ACTUALLY THE MOTHER OF ONE I GOT FROM THIS GUY LAST YEAR IN JAN. THEY SAID SHE FOALS ALL BY HERSELF AND HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN HER GIVE BIRTH. THEY JUST GO OUT THE NEXT DAY AND THERES THE BABY. SO I THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR ME. I STILL WANT TO BE THERE WHEN SHE HAS IT BECAUSE ANYTHING CAN GO WRONG. I BREED THE BLUE AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIERS AND I'M ALWAYS THERE WHEN THEY HAVE THERE PUPS. I DONT KNOW FOR SURE HOW LONG TAFFY'S GOING TO BE PREGNANT. I WOULD THINK THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THERE TALKING ABOUT. THEY'VE HAD HER FOR A LONG TIME AND HAD FOALS BY HER BEFORE. I'VE GOT THE BREEDING REPORT AND IT SAYS FROM MAY 5 TO AUG. 1 OF 2007 THEY WERE TOGETHER. I WONDER HOW THEY CAME UP WITH JUNE 22ND. THE MUST HAVE SEEN THEM. THEY DID SAY TO THAT SHE'S USUSALLY A WEEK LATE MEANING SHE MIGHT GO TILL CLOSER TO JULY. I DONT SEE HOW. I'VE NEVER SEEN A HORSE THIS BIG AND PREGNANT BEFORE.
CAN ANYONE SEND ANY PICS OF A BIG PREGNANT MARE. I'D LOVE TO COMPARE PICS.
OH ONE MORE QUESTION. IS SHE THIS BIG BECAUSE SHE'S HAD FOALS BEFORE?
WHO KNOWS. LOL

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan,
This pregnant mare of yours isn't eating fescue is she? If so, you are going to have the same problems you had the last time.

I also don't want to sound like a total wet blanket, but I wouldn't be too trusting of these people you are buying these horses from. Apparently they sold you a yearling that was pregnant? Are these the same people?

You need to get a vet out to check out your mare. I think her foaling date may be off and she is abnormally large regardless.

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH NO THE MARE I GOT THAT HAD A BABY IN APRIL IS FROM SOMEONE ELSE. THE PEOPLE I GOT TAFFY FROM HAVE ALWAYS FED ALFALFA. AND GOOD GRAIN. THATS WHAT I'M FEEDING HER. OH NO, NO FESCUE HERE. ACTUALLY THE HAY I GOT IS ALFALFA TIMOTHY AND BROME MIX. I HAVE 4 ALL TOGETHER I GOT 3 FROM THE SAME PERSON. THE ONE THAT HAD A BABY IN APRIL I JUST SOLD. SO DID HAVE 5..
I DID JUST GET AN EMAIL FROM THE PREVIOUS OWNERS OF TAFFY AND THEY JUST TOLD ME, THEY COULD BE OFF ON HER DATES BUT SHE ALWAYS GETS BIG LIKE THAT. SO NOT TO WORRY. YEAH RIGHT. I'M STILL HAVING THE VET COME OUT.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 878
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Susan. That's sad about your other mare, she was way to young to be having a baby. How old is she now? Diana Gilger is the mini expert on here, but I think minis just look huge when pregnant because of their own size being so small. Mares that have had other foals definately look bigger than a maiden mare would. I could also be like you said, that she is probally a little overweight. Here is a picture of an overweight pony broodmare 11 months prego that I scaned from one of my foaling books. http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/scan-3.jpg

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene,
Now see to me that mare also looks absolutely HUGE too! YIKES!

I know minis do "play by some different rules". We "big horse" people don't fully understand them sometimes.

Susan, that is good that she isn't on fescue --- that is so sad and I "preach" about the horrors of infected fescue all the time.
Sounds like she is eating good, some of that may be fat?
She is cute.

susan lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW CHARLENE, THAT MARE IS HUGE TO. LIKE MY TAFFY. I'LL JUST KEEP AN EYE ON HER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. I JUST DONT THINK SHE COULD REALLY GET ANY BIGGER. SHE'S BEEN DOING SOME WIERD STUFF TODAY TO. DIGGING, LAYING DOWN ROLLING GET UP AND KEEPING HER TAIL RAISED. SHE KEEPS BACKING INT A CORNER WITH HER TAIL RAISED AND I'M THINKING SHES GOING TO POOP BUT SHE DONT SHE LOWERS HER TAIL SLOWLY. I'LL KEEP YA POSTED.

Linda Bauer --Rita foaled 4/25
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan sounds like she might be getting close. The rolling usually means they are trying to get the baby in position. My mare also walked around the last couple days with her tail up a lot.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 883
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, like Linda said sounds like she is getting close. My mare also did the tail lifting and tail swishing. Keep us posted.

susan lewis
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELL TAFFYS FINE. SHES NOT DOING WHAT SHE DID TODAY. SHE ATE HER DINNER AND HAY BUT I DID NOTICE THAT WHEN I CHECKED HER MILK THAT ITS KINDA CLEARISH YELLOW WITH WITH WHITE SPECKS IN IT. YESTERDAY IT WAS JUST CLEARISH YELLOW AND ITS CHANGED. SHES PRETTY FULL. ANYWAY I'LL KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my mare's milk was a clearish yellow she foaled two days later, and the white specks means she is really close. I'll bet she goes in the next few days.

susan lewis
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HOPE SHE DOES TO BUT I HOPE ITS NOT TO EARLY.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US