SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Maiden mare in foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Maiden mare in foal « Previous Next »

Deborah E. Matusek
Neonate
Username: Laddeb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey out there. This is my first post. I have been in the breeding business for 10 years, had 4 brood mares, with 10 successful foalings. However, I have a maiden paint mare having her first foal this year, and she has me baffled. Her last breed date was 7/3/07, so her foal should be due around June 9, 08. She started having edema in front of her udder 4/1/08. Started rubbing her tail like crazy around 4/7/08. She was completely bagged up, teats full, and waxed heavily on both teats morning and evening on 4/28/08. The rest of this week, she has had some udder development in the morning, but down again by evening. She has nothing leaking from her vaginal area, so I don't suspect any infection. Her tail area is loosening--tail flopping. Anyone have any idea about the full bagging and waxing she did on this last Monday? Should I be staying in the barn with her?

McKay
Nursing Foal
Username: Mckay

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are sure of the due date, premature bagging up can be a sign of placentitis. The edema would be part of that, too.

I don't want to scare you, but if the due date is right, she shouldn't be bagging up this fast. I would have the vet check her out.

Deborah E. Matusek
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, sure about the date. Her bag was not up at all this morning. I watched for a couple of hours last night. Not much going on. She flops her tail and rubbed up against a pole once in 2 hours. She is kicking and biting at her abdomen, especially when she is eating her grain. I have not seen the waxing any more. I talked to my vet--she said not to worry. All my other mares only waxed a day or so before foaling (even maiden ones), so that sort of panicked me. Plus her edder was fully bagged up the day she had the wax. I did have another paint mare that foaled 3 times on my ranch--14 days early each time. So maybe she is going to be like that?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep us posted, okay?

Deborah E. Matusek
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing different today. Udder is small--no waxing. She raises her tail and flaps it up and down in irritation. I can see the foal moving a lot. Her rear end is beginning to soften--her flanks have that sunken look. She is dragging her hind legs--that mare-in-the-last month gait. I am going to try to express some liquid today. I tried to last week, but she was not too agreeable with my doing so.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deborah, I know what you mean about them not liking us touching the utter. I don't know if you need all this information, or if it will help, but my mare was difficult too. I gave her a firm "aht" sound and she let me. But now, I just wait until she is in her 24x24 corral and when she starts to move away, I just keep my hand on her hip and move with her until she gives in. It works for me anyway.

And once there, Jonathan said to get the fingers wet-saliva works. I tried it and it works! Also, I was not pulling on the teat itself enough. I was too high up. I learned to squeeze a bit higher, then start milking the eat itself and it comes out like rain now! Good luck.

Deborah E. Matusek
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is doing lots of pacing, tail swishing, jumping around. Udder about 1/2 full. I don't think we are going until the first week in June!
I have not fooled enough with her udder through out her pregnancy the way I did my other 4 mares. My fault. No time with my full-time job. I tried again today, but she would not let me milk her. She let me wash her udder, but forget the milking. I will keep trying her, but I don't want to get her all agitated. I am hoping she will not foal for a couple of weeks yet--I want to get to day 320--305 today.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that! You know, my mare did a lot of that early in April. Lots of tail swishing and butt pushing. Then it slowed down for awhile. Still hasn't foaled, so hopefully your's will make it another month.

Okay, here's something new for me to say-I'm sending anti-foaling vibes your way!

Deborah E. Matusek
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things are about the same today. She was kicking her belly more tonight. Tail head is sinking. I set my phone alarm to get up a midnight and check her. If she was one of my veteran mares, I'd just go to sleep. But a maiden? And my stud throws big babies. He's not real big himself, but his babies are tanks! I wasn't supposed to worry about this mare until school was out (I am a teacher). Now here I am up and down losing sleep and trying to control 60 12 year olds during the day. Oh, and get this--2 of my daugthers are due to foal---heehee, I mean have babies in June, too. Crazy! Keep those anti-foaling vibes coming for a couple of weeks.
Does anyone know of a mare (not a mini) having a viable foal at 310 days or so? I think we are at about 306 today.

Deborah E. Matusek
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 315 days today and still holding! Sorry I haven't posted for a few days. I had to go up to see my daughter who is expecting her 3rd baby in June. The doctor put her on bedrest until after tomorrow (34 weeks).
The mare has not had any more wax. She bags up in the morning/down at night. The foal is very active around dark, so that is probably when she will foal. I am still hoping she waits until after 320 (this weekend)!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US