SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal respecting you

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foal respecting you « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I know that you aren't supposed to overspoil the foal because he will learn to not respect you and will think of you as another horse, but how do I know the bounderies? Like he really loves to sniff me and lick me and he loves when I scratch him and he just likes to be around me, but I don't want to teach him bad habits. Is it ok to let him do this stuff? And if they suck on your fingers, how do you get them to stop? I know colts are very oral, so I'm not sure when he (or I) are crossing the line... Kinda a weird question, sorry!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily

If you don't want him to do it when he is 1400 pounds, he can't do it now. Scratching is great though. The more areas he will let you scratch the better.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily: I totally agree with Jonathan. You are walking a thin line allowing him to suckle your fingers...you're encouraging his oral behavior and if you don't teach him now that oral contact with humans is a no-no, he WILL do it as an adult. These little guys discover their world through their nose and mouth...there's lots of other things he will find to play with by mouthing. He needs to learn that humans aren't one of them. The scratching and rubbing is great...every place on a foal is itchy...poor things are quite coordinated enough to figure out how to get to that itchy spot so humans make a great scratcher. By doing this on a regular basis, I find that my foals grow up to be quite used to humans touching them EVERYWHERE. During your itch sessions do some belly rubbing and leg rubbing and ear fondling in there. It gets them to learn to relax to the touch. Just don't let them mouth your shirtsleeve or bite at your pant leg during the process because then...you are right back to the earlier lesson which is allowing them to mouth humans. I let my "kids" turn their heads, extend their necks and purse their little lips all they want to but its a no-no when they want to put contact of their mouth to any of my body parts. I just discourage this by pushing their heads away and then resume scratching. They learn really fast that in order to enjoy this they must have their head and body in the desired position.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT QUESTION EMILY,I HAVE THE SAME THING GOING ON.JONATHAN AND BOBBI THANK YOU FOR A VERY CLEAR ANSWER,I WILL NOT LET CHENOA MOUTH MY PANTS AND SHOES ANY MORE IF HE WANTS ME TO SCRATCH HIM.THANK YOU!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

judy: You will be so thankful that you teach that! They are sooo cute and its so hard to resist but you will enjoy them so much more when they are older. If you watch your mares, when baby is in position they don't like or baby is getting a little rough with that head butting on the belly, they will turn and push them with their muzzles...a quiet way for mom to say, no...stop it...not acceptable. These little foals will respect you soooo much more when you "push" them away...now you're talking language they can understand. One of my foals has the tendency during scratch and pet sessions to want to manipulate his butt around to face me. Although I know he is only trying to point out to me that this is the area he would really like to be scratched, that is unacceptable behavior for me because I don't want him to learn that he can side step and wheel his butt around...as a big boy he could pin me or kick the tar out of me...so when he starts to do this I push his back end back over giving me space. Then I resume the session again...when he starts to move again...I stop and push him back over. He gets it after about 2 times and then he'll stand; knowing this is where he is allowed to be and not any closer.

I think you'll find you have a better behaved foal. It also shows your human dominance if that makes any sense. He figures out that YOU set the standard, not him. I leave their biting and bad behaviors to try on mom...hahaha...guess what...she doesn't put up with for long before she makes him understand she means business. JJ kept rearing up at mom's side and striking out the other day trying to play...mom got aggravated real quick and reached out, pinned her ears back and took a nice open-mouthed bite to him. He stopped...hehehehe. I figured out that if it works for mom, that non-verbal communication can work for us humans.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOBBI thank you,that all makes perfect sence.i will make sure he keeps his mouth to himself.i have to remember that he will get bigger and it wont be much fun then.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much! I will definitely start pushing his head away when he starts to mouth my shirt and pants, which he loves to do! Lol. I have also been working on picking up his feet, and he's doing pretty well! The past two days he's really been noticing his tongue and it's so funny to watch him play with it and roll it around his mouth!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy & Emily: They are so funny to watch. They learn so much day by day. Its actually amazing when you stand back and realize just how much stimulus these guys get in such a short time!

And to you and Judy both...I have...tsk, tsk on me...let my foals mouth/play with a lead rope while I'm messing with them. That is not a good idea either because they learn to chew on ropes, bridle reins...etc...but goodness...they can't help but be babies sometimes. I suppose there are just those babies out there that are "oral" or they wouldn't make roller/spin bits now would they?!?! Hahaha!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, he keeps trying to play with me like I'm another foal but I just push him away and ignore him when he does this. He calms down once he figures out that I'm not going to romp around with him. Lol. I've also been working on leading him with the butt rope and stuff and it's going pretty good!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily how did you start lead training???i worry he is going to pull back and i will hurt his neck.can you please tell me the first thing you did.THANK YOU

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily: You will laugh when I tell you that I haven't even haltered my babies yet...hahaha...you're way ahead of the ballgame! Great Job!!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the vet tell me to halter my guy-like yesterday. But I didn't quite get to it, with the sleep dep., fixing a board or two or three that mare broke sometime during labor, and so on. This afternoon I'm going to try.

Anyway, she said to halter-then put fairly stiff rope (that cannot get tangled around legs) on it and let him drag it around, so he learns not to freak out when he or mare steps on it.

At about two weeks she said to tie him to a stout post that will not give at all-where mom will not get excited (that might be a tough one here) and let him pull and carry on to his hearts content. She said he is so flexible at this age that he will not injure himself.

What do ya'll think about that? Sounds like an easy way to do it, but have concerns. Appreciate all comments.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: My babies are out in fields so I don't ever leave halters on them. Had a friend of mine (many, many years ago) loose a foal that she kept a halter on and he got caught and broke his neck in a panic fit. I know alot of people leave them on but perhaps they have their foals in stalls or other areas where getting caught by the halter isn't an issue.

Since birth, I have laid a leadrope across their back and ran it all over their body, including letting them walk around with it on until it falls off so they won't be startled.

I think the ideal situation is to halter them right away but I think its equally as important to take it off and put it on with consistancy so that they get used to it.

Look at me...hahahaha...I just haven't had the time to actually fight to get the halter on the first time yet. I've been too busy giving shots and medicine that "halter breaking" my foals has not been a priority. Its pretty funny though because I have been taking the lead rope and looping it into a quick halter for the purpose of holding them during these treatments, so I'm hoping that the halter won't actually be an issue. (Boy am I probably in for an eye opener!)

I have always opted to teaching mine to "tie" by using a rubber innertube. I have a tie post that has this wrapped around it and then I tie them to the innertube. It gives and while they may struggle, it gives just enough that if they get into trouble I can get them untied in a hurry if necessary. I had an older horse that had a real issue with being tied for very long and would break a leadrope like it was a toothpick. The more they broke loose the more it taught him that pulling back got him free. I finally tied a real tire to the innertube, then tied the horse to the tire. It worked because the tire is heavy which made him get wore out from holding the weight of the tire but yet the rubber innertube still kept that little bit of give. Sometimes experiments work the best in our homemade training styles.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 448
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: how long does one usually have to keep restraining the foal before the little ones will walk up to you? I want my little guy to enjoy being with me, instead of acting like I'm a cougar.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj~with my foals I like to go in an sit, by nature they are very curious so I will go in sit..maybe on a stool holding a bucket with some goodies...I let them come to me and pet them let them pull away and mom usually is over visiting so that gives the foal more courage. Squatting down helps to draw them in too. you can also have the halter in hand rub him with it...as he gets bolder and bolder you can slip it on. Food works :-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you Jan. That sounds like a wonderful idea. I have been spending a LOT of time in the stall. I keep them in while I clean it so the foal will get used to me. So I'll add sitting to my routine!

What kind of food can one give to a foal that is less than a week
old?

Bobbi, I like your approach better than what the vet recommended. Seems much safer to me. I wasn't going to let the colt wear the halter outside the stall either. In fact, I don't like my horses wearing halters when unsupervised anywhere, but that's just the obsessive in me! And my mare has always been easy to catch. However, with the baby, that may have changed! LOL Haven't had to try, so far.

I may try your technique with my mare too (tire and intertube). She is perfectly well mannered in all other things.

I hope your babies accept the halter well. Sorry you have had to spend so much time medicating. I know how time consuming that is.

Are you able to give the little guys shots without help? If so, I'd love to know how you accomplish that! LOL

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i feed my babies a little strategy from a bucket when the mares come in for dinner...it isn't long before they are looking me up every day...that is when i pet and rub them...as far as the halter goes I do use a light leather foal halter on them but don't pull on it...I use a butt rope or sometimes I hold the halter from the side and push the foal around me (like a turn on the forehand)using my fingers or the butt end of a whip on their sides each way...they get used to moving for me when I ask but not being pulled on. Also backing up doesn't require pulling...after while, walking forward happens naturally.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 459
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How soon can they eat? He is three days old and I don't think he has any teeth yet!

My daughter came and worked with him tonight and she was great. She is so self-assured. Just goes in and insists on what she wants and gets it! The little guy was even lying next to her and she was petting him a little. Pretty cool to watch!

I suppose there are many approachs. My thing is, I want to teach trust and not teach bad habits!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have noticed that by two weeks of age, the foal is trying to share mom's dinner so that is when I start to give him a little feed of his own...just a handful teaches him to come to me.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: My foals were standoffish during their first 10 days...then after that, they relaxed. When they come up, give them some scratch sessions (between the front legs or on the butt end by the tail, they can't scratch those itches and they will love you for it). I'm with Jan, when they are done, I let them walk away back to mom. Now, they are 5 weeks old and they follow me around everywhere and won't get out of my hair! Hahahaha!

I'm with you...I don't leave my halters on my horses without supervision, with one exception...my stallion ALWAYS has a halter on. He's a bit of a handful when there is a mare in heat and I don't want to put my body between his front half and his attention span to another horse...not good. Hehehe

My little foals are rather funny and different from each other. Little Moose has been eating from my hand some sweet grain when mom is being fed. Just experimenting with it and certainly doesn't want much. It gives him a little experience with eating from a human hand and a little taste of the grain world. JJ, who is a day older, on the other hand is completely disinterested in any grain. Won't even try a bite but he is quite the grass eater. All I keep doing is giving him a little bowl of it when mom eats and I guess when he's ready, he'll finally attempt it.

Is the doctoring any better???? Well, funny you should ask that. The answer would be NO! JJ got himself into something...I still don't know what...but he gashed his right butt check...its a dandy (just irks me to no end...I'm hoping it will not scar). So, no, after going through his little sniffle bout, he is not being a cooperative patient at this time. When these guys were a bit smaller, it was easy to restrain them (one arm around the front of their chest and grap their tail and hold the tail straight up) now that they are MUCH BIGGER...they certainly out weight me and out muscle me. He lets me rub it with betadine scrub but the rinsing thing...oh, well let's just say I now have a succombed to using my son's power drincher with the reserve backpack water gun and it involves tying mom up and chasing baby round and round until I get it rinsed off. (I look a bit like a retarded ghost buster picking on an innocent creature). Then he relaxes and lets me put ointment on it. As far as an injection...hahahahahaha...after the first shot that I got in on a surprise tactic he has smartened up and he can outrun me (even in a round pen) everytime.

Give yourself some time...your little baby will be tripping and falling over you wanting attention.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 485
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool Bobbi. I'm looking forward to that. He watches me a lot and doesn't seem afraid of me; just not wanting me to touch him.

Your fiasco with the water pistol is hilarious! I did the same thing with a gentle fly spray I found. I just squirted under mom and over mom and around mom; however I could get it on him.

I had someone help the day before, but I wraseled with him and lost! First time! He is getting stronger and is not quite a week old! I have the sskinned knees and elbows to show for it.

But you should have seen him kicking up his heels at his win. I had to get my respect back though, so held him yesterday so a few of my family members could pet him a little. That time, I won. I used the tail and corner of the pen, so he couldn't back up or go forward! HeHe. Score one for me!

But I'm glad your little guy is lovin you. They can be forgiving I guess, if they feel the love elsewhere, huh?

By the way, I posted pics of my guy under the "new foal pics" thread.

wanda
Yearling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love hearing how all the foals are doing...

My vet said my little girl could start eating grain at 1 week and trust me she is wanting it already (5 days) tries to get into Momma bucket (Momma not having any part of it). LOL I have taken a few grains and let her eat it from my hand..she is funny..if I go in and just stand or squat she will come to me and won;t stay off of me..loves to be scratched and brushed..not shy if you can't tell..lets the kids pet her..she does get a little pushy and wants to lip everything on us..I have been pushing her head away when she does this...but she is full of energy and I can't get enough of her...I had her halter on her on day 2..was a little struggle but by today..I was holding it and she didn't mind too much but I let her go when she wanted to also so she doesn't get shy about it...it sounds like I might have gotten off easy...so far! LOL

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, sounds like you have a great start with your filly. I see mine lipping everything too, just doesn't come all the way up to me yet. His mama gets a little nervous. She probably knows there is a Novice handling her precious baby! LOL She's experienced and I'm not! Once I get him she doesn't worry much though.

I can hardley wait until mine reaches the stage of coming to me. I'm encoouraged by all the other posts. I too love hearing about the others. Aren't their little faces just too cute? I know one can tell this is my first, with the terms I use. "Precious" and "so cute" and so on. LOL But I know they can turn into little monsters if not handled properly.

Anyway, your way ahead of me! My halter is too big yet. It was the smallest I could find. Looked in several different feed stores. Guess I could have ordered a smaller one. They had probably all sold out during this foaling season and I didn't even know they came any smaller!

Are you leading her yet? Using the butt rope? How is it all going?

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going back to the start of the thread. I'm with Jonathan. I'm having to deal with a yearling filly right now that someone thought it was cute to "play" with her when she was little and cuddly. (I had to board her for a few months while we were waiting for our new place to be ready and I think "playtime" happened at the boarding facility because she was little and all the "kids" were attracted to her).

She is a growthy girl and at 15 months it has ceased to be "funny".

She isn't mean but she has had to learn over the last 3 months or so what MY SPACE is all about. And I don't mean the website.

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey CJ...I am new to all this too...but I am lucky to have a lot of time to spend with her and her Mamma is fine with me being in there with her as long as she can see her...I like to go in and stand or stoop in the stall when my mare is eating and the baby is always circling her mamma and sees me and is too curious not to come up and sniff...I didn't reach out to touch her the first few times..I just let her sniff and rub against me...she now just comes up..she was going up to the fence and/or stall door to the kids..I think it is just her personality for the most part..her Momma is great like that... We did put a lead on her but just pulled the tail to get her to go out to pasture the first time and since it is just me here to tend to the horses in the morning I just let the baby run along side Momma out to the pasture but I will be going out to work with her in the field soon..
Don't worry you will win him over soon...all it will take is a good rub down from you and you won't be able to keep him off of you! lol

Catherine...what discipline do you use for that...I had a foster horse here that would not share space and would practically walk on top of me...I would just keep my elbow out when we walked it worked some but I know there could have been something else I could have done..but she got adopted out...

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, this filly would just walk over the top of you and had no clue that you didn't want her nose in the nape of your neck all the time. She was like a 400-500 pound puppy. Really sweet just no clue. However, the real "fun" with her was some of the little kids used to play "tag" with her out in the pasture, so when you went out in the pasture with her, she thought she was supposed to "chase". Would rear up and push on you. YEE-HAH!

I am a big believer in the Parelli system and pressure points, particularly with young horses. Just getting her working in the round pen and responding to pressure has done a lot. I'm definitely not an advocator of violence as a training method but a couple of well-timed slaps has also served to "get her attention". She isn't mean, just "clueless".

I'm also a big believer in tying a horse up for a while each day. It teaches them patience. When they go to shows, they have to stand tied a lot so if you do it at home, it isn't any big deal. We tie them in different spots all over our place for varying periods of time. Most of it depends on the horse. I will watch one and see when he/she starts to relax and quits fretting. For the most part, a young horse will learn pretty quickly that there really isn't any arguing with a 6x6 sunk in concrete!

Just doing something with them everyday gives them something to do. As for the "pasture tag" I got sort of lucky with this one: One day she was attempting to "chase" me and I ducked under a strand of electric fence and she was so busy playing that she forgot about that strand of polybraid there and hit it and hit it good. ZAP! I think she thought I did it to her and she definitely didn't think it was any fun. She hasn't really been bad about it since.

Of course she is more "tired" these days than when I first brought her home --- even the little ones need a "job".

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: I just can't stop laughing...I tried your method too of over mom, under mom, around mom...mom is pretty chilled out and doesn't mind the spraying sound...that is until I sprayed at baby under HER belly...it was a moment of "oh crap" for me when she jumped about 6 feet off the ground! The Power Soaker is better...1200 pounds of momma on my head one time was good enough for me to find the "alternative" options. Hahahaha! I have a visual on you...as I'm sure you do with me since we've both "been there before"

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 02:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine-how funny! "My space." I understand what you are talking about though. I can see my baby as an adult and although he is just too adorable now, I know he won't be in a few months. So I don't try to play with him.

I made the mistake of doing that with the little herd of goats here on the farm, and what a mistake! I got mauled for several days until I could convince them I am in charge (sort of). I got bitten and charged and bumped and reared at and so on. So no more of that!

Translate that to a horse and boy oh boy-trouble ahead! Danger too, actually.

So you wear your young filly out by training her to be a proper horse? Sounds good to me.

I have been so busy lately setting up better shade and keeping a two horse stall clean-my gosh-seems like four horses are in there all of a sudden. But I do keep them in longer so mare will eat her alfalfa.

But I am just aching to make friends with my little fella.

Bobbi, too funny, but glad you weren't hurt. My mare is really pretty safe when it comes to anything involving ground work. I spray her all the time under and on her belly, but I do watch for any reaction. Maybe I ought to get one of those bazooka kinds of things too!

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are hillarious....LOL.....but isn't that how we all find ourselves with these horses or the babies..got to get it done one way or another...LOL

Catherine...I can't imagine that... our gelding will run to us when we call his name like a dog would come to you but by the time he getting to you he stops and walks on up...but I have never had such an easy catch...I totally see how that is a no..no..
I like the non evasive discipline too..I don't know that I know all of the pressure points but I know enough that has gotten me by so far...my mare didn't even know what "Back" meant when she came here and I would have to do the nuckle in the breast area to get her to move..she is like moving a tank..if the motor isn't running you aren't moving it...LOL
I do have a ? about tying the horses out..I do believe in that too..I have not been doing it to my horses yet because we have to set a couple post..but my ? is...at what height do you allow their head to be and how much slack.. want to be sure I am doing that right so I don't get them hurt ...my husband has been teaching me the quick release (he knows every form of tying there is (military & fire dept)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
We have tie rings at varying heights on our tie-out posts (from yearlings to older horses). I like to tie them about even with where their head is carried naturally (about wither height) and that will vary with different horses; you want them to be comfortable. I don't give them a whole lot of slack, probably about a foot or so. You don't want them putting a leg/foot over the rope or something. I would also rather tie them a little higher up if necessary rather than low.

Here is a link to some excellent articles about teaching your horse to tie.
http://www.equisearch.com/horses_riding_training/training/basic_schooling/teacht otie_071003/

One thing to keep in mind, I don't start this with them until they are over one year old. You don't want a baby to get to flipping around and jerking on his/her little head.

Another good technique for teaching them "respect" and also gives them a "job" is to pony them from an older horse. I have one of those "good ole geldings" that is just priceless for this sort of thing. I like ponying my yearlings and two-year-olds because you can work them in "straight" lines and there isn't so much circling, etc. that puts pressure on their still developing joints and legs. I don't like running a young horse around in a circle all the time. Don't get me wrong, I teach basic round pen with them when they are yearlings but don't really "hammer" on them in the round pen or on a lunge line all the time. Once you get them to where they will pony well, then you can also take them out on the trails, etc. and give them a change of scenery and get them used to leaving home, so to speak. They also learn that they have to go where the "good ole gelding" is going, not necessarily where they want to go. :-) (He's pretty big!)

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are always so full of information..I would love to be able to shadow you,...I don;t have any experienced horse people around...to kind of watch and learn or that will work hands on with me..I have my childhood knowledge but that hasn't gotten me far...my brother in law is great with horses but doesn't have time ...I have horse people all around(live by me) but honestly I don't know why they have horses..they do nothing with them..they are fed but I have a field with at least 10 horses...and they are never rode..or worked with..these horses just run around out there and groom each other they look horrid..they have no mane left from them chewing on each other and they are very shy to people..well at least to me..I have tried to talk to them and pet them but they will just get close enough to sniff me and then move away I can't even turn my hand to pet them...anyway getting off track...sorry...I really appreciate your experience and everyone else's on here because in just 2-3 wks I have learned 2 yrs worth of information!! Thanks!!

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think somewhere on here you all were talking about the mare being jealous...well I think my mare hit the top of being jealous last night...she totally shunned me..she didn't want me to hook and lead her last night..she turned her butt towards me not in a mean way but I knew something was up...she led fine to the barn but once I got her in...I went in to stand like I have been and I take a little bit of grain in with me because Hershey likes to get some while Momma is eating..but I went to brush my mare out and she moved away..I moved closer she moved farther...and that continued...I have never had her do this to me...she loves me and will burry her head into my chest for hugs and kisses but she was in no mood for it last night and didn't even want me to touch her...I am not sure if she is still mad about the last vet visit (he had to flush her and gave her a ton of shots with antibiotics) and they had to twitch her and lightly sedate her to do it..I think she is jealous though because she knows she is my baby but now I am giving her baby some attention and she decided last night she was going to pout!! I think before I came in I had won her back over but she still wasn't completely back to being real lovey with me...it is hard not to give the baby attention when it won't stay off of me...I tell ya it is almost too aggressive on wanting attention...last night I had to push her away several times and I don't like doing it but she would not quit even if I moved away from her she was just all over me and trying to lip me bad..so I did lightly flip her lip a couple times..she finally got tired and went and layed down..but I think I will have the opposite of what CJ is going through...to attached to me! LOL but not scared of anything...I laid the lead on her last night and she could have cared less...

One more thing then I will quit...LOL (I know all my post are long) like an idiot last night..I just put my stall web on the door so I could crawl in and out instead of opening and shutting the stall door...even though I never left the doorway ....I was standing on the outside of the web and was getting ready to take it down and go in the house for a while...that little stinker decided she was coming out..she went right under that thing...I grabbed her...You know how easy that was to hold onto a foal that doesn't know forward or backwards yet..I had one hand holding onto Hershey,(she was pulling away the entire time) one hand trying to undo the web which usually takes two hands and trying to watch my mare so that she doesn't totally freak out...she was calling her and started getting all worked up..I dropped the web and then I had to change hands and still hold onto her without her going any further away and reach around and pull her tail to lead her, (well let's say she doesn't have the lead thing down too well yet) to get her back in the stall...shew..I felt like I was doing aerobics! LOL But Momma handled much better than I thought she would..I just knew when I dropped that web that she was going to plow over me...but she did not offer to come out of the stall!! I won;t be using the web anymore for a long time!! Lesson learned the hard way!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wanda: My mares acted that way too...I think they turn into hyper-hormonal after birth. Its almost like they make up for a year without PMS from heat cycles...hahahaha! Now that my foals are what...wow...6 weeks old (how can that be??? they were just born yesterday it seems???) the mares have now settled down into their normal nonprego personalities. Whew...can't wait to get them bred again...so they turn into those really sweet mares I owned over the past 12 months.

I have the visual of your stall experience...can't stop laughing. You know what??? Those little ones won't go far...all you would have had to do is take the netting down, walk your mare out and then walk her back into the stall and I'll bet you little bit would have followed right behind you. Hahahahaha! I'm picturing this struggle and I can tell you, I "lead" my babies through multiple pastures, in and out of round pens, pretty much anywhere and I've yet to put a lead rope on them. If you have momma...you have baby!

If you think you were a bit panicky with just the stall...we had a storm down here a couple nights ago and I came home from work to my Echo mare out in the cattle pasture...(she's supposed to be by herself in the maternity pasture with her baby). I slammed on the brakes as soon as I hit our road...jumped out of the car with it still running...and nope...there is no baby in sight. I look across 20 acres and there he is running the maternity fence line screaming his dear little head off. I freaked out thinking OMG...he's gonna go through the fence. There's mom...way up on the hill in the opposite direction feeding her big fat belly and ignoring her babies frantic cries. I went and caught her, led her back to her field, baby is watching me but he's still screaming frantically...I brought mom down to him, he immediately grabbed a nip and started feeding like he was starving to death. Mom must have freaked out and jumped the fence...she's never done that in the 5 years I've owned her. But...she just left poor little JJ to fend for himself...poor thing. He now has seperation anxiety...didn't leave mom's side for days! Just goes to show you...I would never have been able to handle baby-he's too big & strong to hold down now-handling mommy is always the best choice.

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi..I know hind site tells me..but being the inexperienced and a little panicked since I wasn't sure what Momma would do I opted to make sure that baby did not get out of Momma's sight, Plus my youngest (daughter) was standing there and I was trying to get her to get back in case Momma decided to come out..My poor daughter is not the fastest move in the world..we say run and she crawls..LOL... But when I take my mare out to pasture I don;t lead the foal...she just follows by...
I don't know if I look forward to getting to know my mare now or not from listening to everyone on here...LOL I have never known her out of pregnancy...I fostered her for a rescue and she came here with a 3 month old filly and pregnant,..they took her back to wean the then 5 month filly and to let her birth at their farm,,then they thought she lost the baby and decided to give her away..so I took her after her filly was adopted out, I hope though her attitude last night is not going to be a peek of what she will be like...if so....anyone know a good percheron stallion!!! now I know why everyone keeps their mares pregnant...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, that was so funny! I know what you mean though-you get caught up in the action and forget the logical step. You and I have a lot to learn still, but glad for all the help and humor.

Tonight my colt was busy trying to poop (he's been constipated) when his mama went into her corral for her dinner. He was near, but outside the corral. He accomplished his task and then realized Mom wasn't by him. He flew past the corral, only to see someone else approaching. He rocketed around and into the corral gate like a bullet, slidding into home plate on the straw! His mama just kept eating. So funny. Might make a good barrel racer though! LOL

Catherine, how do you "pony" horses?

Bobbi, I was on pins and needles reading your story. What a good example, but OMG! And mare just ignored JJ? Amazing. Poor little JJ. Well, now you have another story to add, for the DUHH convention! LOL

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda: Too funny! When its a panic moment doesn't it just feel like time is in slow motion and that you just can't move as fast as your brain is racing?!?! I'll take the foaling frets over the post foaling heart attack syndrome any day! And yes, you are right...THAT'S why so many of us mare owners like keeping our mares pregnant...they have outstanding personalities when they're pregnant. Not and its like dealing with adolescent teenagers! Hahaha! (Bobbi likes her gelding...he's the same ALL the time!)

Cj: Yes...what a witch of a mom. Just ignoring him. Poor Blossom is the one over at the fence line fretting over him while mom is 100 miles away feeding her face, ignoring the pitiful screams of her youngun...so Blossom, the killer mare (Moose's mom) who tried to kill him at 24 hours old by running him through the fence and forced me into seperating Echo & JJ to their own field, is the one who's at the fence fretting over poor pitiful JJ! What is UP with that?!?! Who are these horses and where did they loose their minds?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, maybe they want to trade babies! Can't believe Blossom tried to kill poor Gimooseraff!

wanda
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I guess my mare isn't the only one that has gone off the deep end... These poor foals...how do they keep from being loco when they are all grown!! My mare used to be the easiest catch..usually she just met me at the gate or all I had to do is walk up and get her..now she turns and runs and gets all huffy puffy!! Nothing drives me more crazy then trying to catch a horse every night to bring them in.. I hope this is not going to be her true personality...I will definitely be saying send me the semen!!

Well I can't say it gets easier...my foal still thinks I am her 2nd Mom and I swear she thinks I have teats between my legs and won't leave me alone when I am trying to work with Momma...I have tried pushing her head away, tapping her butt, the only thing I haven't done is tie her off..so I will start working with her on that..I just don't want her to hurt her self from thrushing herself around..(still a little too protective)

I have been working on the butt rope with the filly right outside the stall while Momma eats..going pretty good now if she would just learn my space/her space...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 549
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, that is great you can put your little girl outside the stall to work with her! I have to have someone hold mom. If she is bridled, and we stay inside the stall, she is okay. Otherwise, she really gets in the way.

When my daughter put the halter on Poco he went loco. Flipped over and banged into the walls and I worried aobut him. I think it has made him afraid, although in the end, he was very calm when we pet him all over. He stopped shaking and even let me hold his face toward my stomach for comfort.

So it is great your baby is so friendly. There are some suggestions about tying on this board. Don't know if you have seen them. Lots of ideas. Maybe that will help. One was to tie an intertube to a stationary object and tie her to it. It gives when she relaxes, but allows for a pull without her getting loose. I think that was Bobbi's approach.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was time on Wed to take Viuda to the vet for her cycle check and I was alone at the farm. I thought since the baby was only a week old she would glue herself to mama's side and I could load the mare no problem. NOT SO....I have renamed this filly Runaway Sue....she took off from Mom as soon as we were out of the gate and ran all around the farm....Even though she could see MAMA and MAMA was screaming "COME BACK HERE RIGHT NOW", she just kept exploring everywhere. She visited the house, dog kennels, the feed barn, the driveway to the road (thank goodness for gates at the farm entrance and then got the attention of the broodmare herd. They all started running the fence line. MAMA is behaving pretty well on the lead line but I soon see that filly has no intention of coming back to us..she ignores her MAMA'S instructions to return immediately. Finally I let the mare go to gather up her naughty daughter and then I re-caught the mare and put them back in their paddock. Obviously no trip to the vet on Thursday. On Friday, Debbie and I managed to load the two and go to the clinic. Even with several people around, this filly is so nosey...she wants to explore every nook and cranny and ignores her mama. That mare is going to have a heart attack before weaning!!! To say the least there is a halter on baby now!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, OH MY! Just wait till adolescence! You gave me my laugh for the day. "Runaway Sue! Toooo Toooo Funny! What a funny filly. Poor Mom. Might want to give her valium next time! LOL

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is crazy funny Terry! Not for you, but just picturing that whole scenerio is a hoot!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,
I can totally picture that senario. I had the same thing happen.

I remember babies usually follow their momma's OH NO! Not Summer, as soon as I opened the gate she was off!!!!! straight towards the stallion's stall I yelled out her name and in mid air she stopped dead in her tracks gave a little nicker and ran towards us Momma is on the lead about to come unglued because baby is not listening to her! I start to calm down thinking baby is coming back when she darts passed us and takes off to the front of the entrance where one enteres the drive way. Now momma is really getting "HOT" I didn't let go because I knew Momma would follow baby not the other way around (Momma is very submissive)I would really have a HUGE problem! I took mom into the round pen and tryed to lure the baby in after my coronary she finally came into the round pen.

She now is halter broken and I NEVER leave her loose outside the round pen!!

Takecare,
L

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to update my training problems with my colt, Poco, who is almost five weeks old (hard to believe) old. He is finally beginning to come near me and tonight, even moved up to me and then walked by, touching me and staying in contact as he went. That is a first! So my instincts have been good. We are making progress and Mama is much better too. I still need help to halter him, but he is geting much friendlier. It was so hard wanting to practically put him in my lap-you know-so cute for such a short time that I want to gobble him up-so was feeling left out. So now I'm doing the happy dance. My little guy is learning to love me!

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know how you feel Cj. I hug all over Nova now at 3 1/2 months but he is not respecting my space because I've loved it when he comes over to me and puts his head on my shoulder or close to get a scratch, etc. I can hug around his neck and face and lay across his back. Doesn't seem fair to push him away when HE comes too close. But I guess in the horse world --- life isn't fair--someone is boss!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US