SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Seramune

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Seramune « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked up the links Jos posted under the thread, "Passive Transfer." I called the number for Saramune and found the company will not sell it to individuals. Don't know if they will sell it to feedstores. However, I told my vet I want some and they ordered it today. They expect it tomorrow! It costs about $107.00 (my cost). But I figure it is cheap, compared to a sick foal or loss of a foal.

For those who do not know, this is a concoction that contains antibodies which are taken from controlled group of geldings. It is given orally. It is a preventive measure; given before any problems arise. It may not be needed, but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. I am terribly relieved that I can get it and so wanted to inform others, in case you want to get some for your foals.

Beth Valen
Weanling
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You/individuals can order it from several of the online vet supply stores. I think Heartland vet currently has the best price, around $65 but it's usually about $85 online.

A friend who has 10-15 foals each year, swears by it.

(Message edited by divaranch on April 29, 2008)

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get it from Valley Vet supply. I'm planning on getting some myself, I believe they also charge around $85.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth, I'm curious. Does your friend give it rooutinely, or after testing and finding the IgG is low? I'm curious to know if the Seramune is effective at some point down the road (in hours, of course) or if it is only effective within a short time period? I believe the vet told me I would be giving it every 2 hours from time of birth for 6 or 12 hrs., I forget which, but I'll know tomorrow when I pick it up.

Anyway, does anyone know if you can withold it for a short time, say 9 hrs., since that is when Tim said they test their little newborns, for IgG levels.

Tim, do you guys ever use Seramune? I'm not questioning it. Just wondering.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj

No we don't use serammune. We bank our own colostrum, have it N.I screened, IgG tested and ready to use if needed. Jon and Goober do a fantastic job of collecting what they can for the bank. This is fairly labor intensive, but the advantage is that the colostrum (hopefully) contains the antibodies that are needed to fight the germs that your herd is most often exposed to.

(Message edited by dystocia on April 29, 2008)

(Message edited by dystocia on April 29, 2008)

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, I always give the seramune and always give at least 2 enemas. I get the seramune from Valley Vet (you dont need a perscription from a vet for it). I paid $84.95 for one bottle. I give it as soon as the foal is born. 1/2 bottle either before foal nurses or right after then the other 1/2 bottle I give 6 hours later. Then when the foal is 12 hours old I pull blood on the foal and test the IgG levels.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just posted this on the other thread, and will add the cautionary note here as well:

One caution to be aware of in using Seramune or any other IgG supplement prophylactically, and that is that it will fill the foal's stomach and reduce his desire to nurse. Although the supplement contains good IgG levels, it may not contain antibodies specific to that particular location which would be contained in the mare's colostrum. It is therefore possible that in some circumstances the prophylactic use of a supplement may reduce good passive transfer suitable for that particular foaling location.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you Jos and Tim. Jeeeezzzzzz. It's never just simple, huh? I'll speak with the vet and work through it however it is best to do. I will still use it, but after it nurses.

Paul, do you feed it to them in a nurisng bottle? I have a calf nursing bottle.

Paul Liberty
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj,
no, I use a 60cc syringe and give it to them orally and it takes awhile to give it to them.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you Jos and Tim. Jeeeezzzzzz. It's never just simple, huh?

Nope, it's never just black and white. Knowing when to intervene and to what extent is a lifelong pursuit.

Paul Liberty
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got that right Tim!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 413
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, thank-you for that info. I read the post, but didn't respond. Sorry. Hope you hang out here. Sounds like you have a lot to offer and perhaps we can help you too, or at least amuse you with our collective wit!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US