SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Who is Seeing the Signs that Their Mare is About to Foal Part 2

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Who is Seeing the Signs that Their Mare is About to Foal Part 2 « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old one is getting very long, so thought I'd start a new one to the old one.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to understand the whole waxing thing-really, I am. Is it usually very pronounced? Like little ice sicles at the end of the teats? Or is it more subtle? Like clear tiny ball at the end of the teat?

Also, I was getting milk, then nothing, then a little milk, then nothing-has been nothing, although her bag has been consistently full and hard for the last week. I just don't get it. I've read articles about it, but guess I'm missing something.

Can anyone explain it to the uninitiated?

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will sometimes looks like "ice sicles", but more commonly, when the mare is very close there will be "globs" of it, that just look like globs of wax! lol.

Has she been excercising more than normal, or is she "spraying" milk?

Regena B
Neonate
Username: Callawayssuzy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the pH strips today. Suzy tested right around the 8 range... looks like I'll be waiting awhile longer. She's very relaxed in the hind end, looks like the baby has dropped down (seeing the "V"), udders are pretty full, and has had loose(well, more loose than normal) poo last night and today. This is my first foal to have here at home (she had her only prior foal in '05 at a boarding barn)... Any guesses on if she's close? She's at 332 days right now

Side view (taken a couple days ago-- she's on an incline, I just noticed how downhill she looks) - http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/CallawaysSuzy/Suzyon4-26.jpg

Udder shot -
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/CallawaysSuzy/SuzyUdder.jpg

Hind end -
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/CallawaysSuzy/Bootypicture4-27.jpg

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ-WAXING- can be like what you described, waxing I have found is like a plug on the end of the nipple when that goes pretty much the baby is comming out within hours usually! CJ notice I said usually! You can see I"m still waiting..

Regena,
DOn't take those strip to to serious, Mares have had higer PH levels and within hours foaled, it kindda gives you an idea of what to expect! I'm doing the same thing also and its showing 8.4 so I am a little relaxed but still on the prowl!! My vet said her due date was 4-17 but when I used the foal calculator it said anywhere from 4-17 to 4/29 which is cnsidered full term have you used the foal calculator?

She looks lumpy and her teats are filled out! She's gonna blow soonnnnn

Sora
Neonate
Username: Sora

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I THOUGHT I would be foaling this weekend, but, well, I'm kinda stupid. I miscalculated and was a week off. I did the foaling calculator, and she's due NEXT weekend. Sigh. That would explain the maddeningly non-accute signs.

Oh well, I'm getting slowly more signs. She's looking a LOT like your mare, Regina, though maybe not so droopy in the belly. Her udder is pretty full or more so than yours when I get there, but after some exercise of walking and turn out, goes down, so I assume that's not milk! I am seeing more tail and butt rubbing. She did some good work on her tail last night! I don't know if we're going to have anything left!

CJ--I finally got some liquid from "milking" one side, but it's still clear, so I'm assuming that's not milk. I didn't even try the test.

Good thing, though, she's been spot on for three foals all right withing three days, so the one thing we do know about mares is they follow their history, right? I'm hoping that means I get a filly on my B-day next Sunday!

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, what exactly is the "V"?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, the "v" is the shape of your mare's belly. If you look at her from the side view, you'll begin to notice that she's not carrying baby as tight to her body as she once was, and that the belly "droops" more in the middle as she gets closer to delivery, and kind of comes to a point at the lowest part of her belly. Occaisionally, it'll make the mare look somewhat swaybacked, but on some mares it is not that noticeable, because they carry pretty low anyway. The way I tell that baby has gotten into position is by looking from the back of the mare...where they are typically huge on one side and relatively flat on the other (you can tell which side baby is on)...all of the sudden, both sides seem "flat" and the mare hangs down instead of "Out". That is a sign that the baby is in position to foal.

jennifer adamy
Weanling
Username: Jadamy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ-
My mare had just tiny balls on her nipple one afternoon and delivered early the next morning. She was a maiden mare and her udder did not have much development. I did get a big stream of milk the day before she delivered as well. you will know the wax when you see it, it can be Big or barely visiable.

wanda
Nursing Foal
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I just say...I love this site...& that I am not getting any work done...mainly because I am on mare watch but I have to read these posts because I learn so much and it is great to know others are going through what I am ...
Diana...I am glad you said that about the getting into posisiton..my mare is still very large on one side and I can see that baby just kicking the daylight out of her on the other side..I wondered if I could tell if it moved like when a woman is pregnant..at first you get kicked down low and then you get kicked up high..I can see that the foal is very active..my mare isn't always happy about that! lol
I am trying to relax a little but I am so enjoying getting to experience this with her..although watching how miserable she is I feel terrible that she has to go through it also..
She has full teats but I have not tried to milk them..I read somewhere that if you do that it can cause pre-mature labor by starting contractions before she is ready..have any of heard of that before...so being that I don't know her due date or anything I decided to just watch her closely...

I posted in the part one of this thread...I would love to get any suggestions for names...I have never had to name a horse and I will just admit it...I am not very creative with picking names...I have one in mind if it is a filly..I kinda like Ava...but would love to hear any that anyone would like to share!! for filly or colt...!
Thanks!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, I'm with you. I consider reading these posts valuable "work," although enjoyable work. It is educational and without trying to sound like a drama queen, the knowledge gained here can literally save a horse's life. At least it gives them a better chance of surviving, becasue of us, rather than inspite of us.

As for names, I'm not too good at that either. Ava is nice. Is your mare registered? Mine is, and I think it is harder because I want to get a little bit of every name; sire, dam, and their 'parents' as well, since the big name is in the grandparents of the foal. It is the first time I've named a foal too.

I love some of the old style names, just as an everyday name. Stormy, Muria (sp? like the song-with a long i sound). I once had a horse I named Nugget. Some of the zodiak signs might work too. Sorry, hope someone else has a better imagination than mine.

Have you read the early posts from Tim on the "Who's seeing Signs...?" He posted a lot of great protocal info. about what to look for and when to call the vet, etc.

Laurie, thank-you. So many times I've thought I've seen one thing or another, but in the end, it isn't what I think it is. So it will be a new discovery for me when it happens! I hope she "blows," soon too!

Sora, don't worry, since "due" dates don't mean much anyway. There are "50 due dates," as Jos has said. The number of days pregnant is more important, but perhaps you already knew that. I like having a "due" date in mind myself, but am learning it is only a point of reference-sort of a hook I hang onto.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOLY COW!!! I believe both of my mares are going to foal on the same night....They've been so goofy today, and I went down to the barn to turn them out on the wheatfield (something they normally LOVE)...and both of them just stayed together in the barn. I went back down there to run them out, and they refused to go. I looked under tails, and at udders and went, "NO WAY"...got out the milk test strips, and sure enough, BOTH MARES 3 squares turned immediately and the edges around the 4th are turned too...This was at 3 in the afternoon. I'll test again before bed, of course...but we're getting closer! OMG, I'm no Tim and Jonathan...I don't know if I can handle 2 in one night...yikes!I'll let you know what the evening test says

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird thing is.....the mare who I've been saying looked ready for sooooo long has a history of foaling on the same night as other mares....within minutes of another foal hitting the ground...maybe she was just waiting it out for the other girl to be ready?!?! haha!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana! Good Foaling Vibes..take a nap it might be a long night :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, retested both mares just now (central time) 9:15 pm....one of them was the same as this afternoon (all 3 changed, and the edges of the 4th)...the other had barely 3 pads (the 2 really fast, and most of the 3rd, none of the 4th) So, I guess I sleep again tonight! yay! (cause I didn't get a chance for a nap today) haha!
Milk is cloudy and sticky as mad! We're nearly there.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, Whew! I hope the mares decide not to foal in the same night-or least not tooooo close to the other. But on the brighter side, you get to sleep after!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I forgot to mention. My mare's vulva looks looser and slightly longer. Yahoo. We're getting there! And she was goofy again Penned the goats all on her own initiative. When she was put in her pen, she squealed at them when they got close. What a goof ball!

And, I got a camera and got it working! Yeah! It is so cool to sit her on the computer and watch her on the monitor! So far, all she does is swish her tail.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana

Good luck! You can do it!

Regena B
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to everyone tonight!! I'm hoping tonight's the night for Suzy... she has been holding her legs up to her stomach (not kicking really, because she picks up her legs and holds them there) on and off for an hour or so. I actually caught her snorting at her own belly("It's HUGE"- haha). Maybe tonight!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina, here's to an easy foaling, at a reasonable hour with descent weather and a hot, thermos of coffee, or drink of choice! Let us know. We'll be waiting.

Emily, haven't heard much from you lately. How are you and your's been doing? Still wearing your horseshoe earrings for good luck?

wanda
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana...any foals last night

CJ...what kind of camera did you get...would a web cam work..I think I am going to go look today for one...

what kind of bedding do you all recommend for birthing..I have seen straw in a lot of the pics that have been posted...I currently use the wood shavings bedding but worry about the dust it creates...
I have relaxed a little and have been sleeping..she is actually getting bigger but no V..she kicks at her belly all day and has to lay down several times a day...she has been doing this head jerking thing like the baby is kicking her in a sensitive spot and it makes her jerk her head down towards her legs real quick..you can tell it is painful...she will pin her ears and look frustrated...

Still waiting....can't keep my eyes off of her..

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Wanda, no babies yet, but the mare who is closest is driving me nutty. She paced and pawed and threw her head ALL NIGHT LONG...and she is still doing it now. The test strip was still at 3 pads, and a partial 4 last night, so I didn't really expect a foal last night. I'll check her again today to see if we get one tonight!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! Alot of activity, but no babies :-( As for my mare I can't beleive today is her full term DUH date, like CJ said its only a date. My stubborn mare is 349 days today??? I CANNOT believe it, I thought surely she would blow.

There was a slight change Yesterday her nipples are fuller and pointy hee hee

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went down to feed, and stare at the prego mares this morning. Thought to test again. Onyx turned all 4 squares on the test strip in less than 8 seconds....looking for a foal today or tonight!!!! yay!
Freckles has a huge udder and after testing 3 + last night, won't give up any milk this morning...teats not quite full, but the few drops I got (not enough to test) were white. Vulva long, mare acting very STUPID. haha!
Here we go, wish me well!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, onyx is at 355 days today, and freckles is at 369

Joyce
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best of luck, Diana! I can't wait for good news from you!!!!!

Joyce

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is exciting news...you might just get them both in one night...stressful but but that means you can start sleeping at night again even sooner...;0)

Keep us posted!!

Do you know how to do the nail test..I ask in the the other post..do you use their mane and hold it over ???? or how do you all do it..just want to do it for fun..I have done it with all my kids when I was pregnant (all 6 times)did the ring test and it was always spot on...I can still do it today and it shows all my kids and what they are an in the right order...but I know it is just a fun thing to do!!

McKay
Neonate
Username: Mckay

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all! I have been lurking and waiting with you. I have two miniature mares who were due and one miniature donkey. Last night, one of the mares delivered. She had far less signs than the donkey, but more than her fellow mare. The funny thing is she ate like a horse (pun intended) last night before bed. I thought that surely she couldn't go into labor after such a huge meal. The eight feet in the stall proved me wrong! We had a little mini colt. He is adorable. He didn't pass his meconium so I gave him an enema which helped him alot.

Now, I am still waiting on the other mini mare and our mini donk. The mini donk has had signs for weeks, and weeks, and weeks....or it feels that way! But, poor thing, the baby is not turned right. She looks like a mobile home with legs - mini style.

So, I am here to join the official waiting club and anxious to hear when some of those babies come!!

McKay

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we did it! info on the announcements page! McKay, nice to see someone else in the minis!!! How exciting!
One down, one to go!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McKay~Post Pics! Congratulations:-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome McKay! I bet those mini's are just adorable as babies! Their pretty cute as adults too.

Michelle Richardson
Yearling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So today Goldie has some wax. The test strips changed one block so it estimates 6-10 days. Her bag is large and teats are not totally full. Vulva is very puffy but not elongated. Her hindquarters are very relaxed. So we are least making progress....

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am worried tonight..can anyone tell me if this is normal...I went out to check on Annie tonight and after inspecting her teats I noticed a large round lump about 8-10" in front of her teats...it was about 6-8" wide and probably hung down about 1"..what could this be...she has been kicking her belly a lot could it just be from her kicking herself....I touched it and she didn't flench or anything..it was not mushy but not hard either..She has me so stressed out since I found out for sure she is pregnant...I don't know maybe I am watching her too closely..is that possible..

Regena B
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still no baby... today was day 334. Suzy's pH tested at 8 this AM, 7 at lunchtime, and 6.5 tonight... Her 'milk' has changed to a cloudy/whitish color(still somewhat clear though, not quite like milk yet). I'm thinking it will be tonight. But I've thought that for the past week haha

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, my horse has a similar (sounds like) thing on her belly, but several inches up from her bag. I don't know when it started; if she has always had it or not. Maybe it is edema? I forgot to ask my vet about it. I'm not too worried though, as it doesn't seem to bother her at all. If it is hot, or shows other signs of infection, I'd be concerned.

I understand the worry. I think we novices can over analyze every move they make or anything we discover. It just means we are good horse moms, as someone said many days ago. And of course, it is all part of the DUHH syndrome.

Regina, I know what you mean! Let's see, I thought my mare would foal three weeks ago, then two weeks ago and...! and I missed a whole lot of sleep for nothing!

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cj... I know you are probably right but man this is going to make me grey even faster...LOL
She has 2 of these on her belly now...could it have something to do with her milk backing up in there???...here are a few pics..they are hard to see with her hair but let me know what you all think..
also posting a pic of her teats...
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=annie067.j pg
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=annie066.j pg

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=annie068.j pg

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=annie065.j pg

Michelle Richardson
Yearling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, Goldie has some edema that is similiar to what I could see on your photos. Hers is a very circular and if your press on it it pitts or leaves a finger indention. Hers is called pitting edema and is just swelling. I would think that is what yours is as well. Exercise is the best way to reduce the swelling, I just walk Goldie everynight since she doesn't walk very much on her own anymore. But if you have a good vet you should call and ask. Mine is very good and would rather I ask than to let something go that might be serious. I would think that it is fine. Hope this has helped some!!

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that is what it is too...but I am watching it closely..and I took her out for a walk this morning too..I know she needs the exercise because she is doing very little of it on her own..LOL
Thanks Michelle for the comments...;0) I really appreciate everyone always willing to share and comment!! I know I am over cautious but this is all brand new to me and I am trying to relax but the least little change worries me to DUHHDOM!!!

Thanks again!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 371
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, I wonder if those are milk ducts? You might start a new thread, with pictures, asking what it is. You would probably get responses.

I'm encouraged now that I am armed with all I need and the mare is getting ready! Her vulva is loose and a little elongated. I'm going to try Jos "milk on black surface test" tonight, if I can get anything out.

I need to find out about pain relief. So many bases to cover.

Regena B
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzy's currently at a pH of 6.5, milk is now white, she started waxing early early this AM. Our vet came out and ran a foaling test (not sure which one though), which predicted she will foal in the next 12-24 hours(this was at 2pm). If she doesn't hurry up I'm going to require some nerve medication or something

I'm so glad I discovered this board! I've learned a wealth of information

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yahoo Regina! I didn't even know they could that! I wish you an easy delivery! Let us know. How exciting!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(((((((((((GOOD FOALING VIBES))))))))))

COME ON SUZY!

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sending good vibes to Suzy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Go Suzy!!!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Next can we do that to my Annie...I cannot believe how HUMONGOUS she is..but no real changes in the last few days...(well she keeps growing larger) & looks a little ribby today and her rear looks a sunken in on the sides..but that is it!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally got fluid out of my mare. It is opaque, slightly yellow. Feels like water-not sticky. PH was 7.6. One of her sides looks a little bigger than the other, but foal is not in position yet.

But I'm really glad she hasn't foaled before now, because it has given her time to build her own immunity to this locale and to have the vaccines in her for over thirty days.

My stupid camera is having issues! I set it up better, more stable than before and now it won;t hardly work at all. Errrrrrrrrrr.

Don't know if it is the brand or what. Has anyone used Astak brands before? I have had two now, and neither was worth a darn. This one works if it is in the same room as the monitor-like that helps!

Okay Regina, I'm sending them vibes!!!

Regena B
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzy foaled a big, beautiful chestnut colt at 10:40 pm!!!

Thank you to everyone who sent her vibes--it did indeed go picture perfect! I will get pictures up tomorrow. He is the most beautifully crafted Saddlebred colt. <3 I'm in love. And she's being SUCH a good mama.

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Regena!! That is awesome!!! Glad to hear it went so well!! Can't wait to see pics!!

What is his name???

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, here's the situation on Freckles the eternally pregnant spotted wonder horse. I am seeing every sign in the book, constantly. Of all the prego mares I've encountered this one is the most confusing. Typically, when the udder fills, I begin testing milk...this mare has been on 3 of 4 pads for 4 days now. She has stopped going out to pasture in the morning (by her own choice, but still digs into her feed like there's no tomorrow.), drinks like a sailor, stands around swishing that tail. Vulva is long long long, teats are full. Milk is in the "sticky" phase (this is where my other mare foaled)...but this mare is STILL not foaling. I've never seen one go this long on 3 pads (4th is fringed around the edges), and have no idea what to think about it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina,
CONGRAT!! You done it!!!! I would have never thought that my mare would be having a MAY baby, figures her last foal 14 years ago was May 4-7??

Where's the Pic???

Name?

CJ-I think that's progress no matter how slow...She will blow soon....

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regena: Congrats! Gotta love them chestnut babies!

Mary Barrett, Dreamer due 4/20/08
Yearling
Username: Twinlights

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I think Dreamer is finally in this catagory.
She doesn't have the typical V belly but she is a maiden, it has definately dropped. She is very jiggly behind and her vulva is very long and loose. Her udder is full finally.
This morning she did not eat her breakfast. Never touched it, didn't even go and look at it, lol.
No wax, but rubbing her butt like mad for two days.

Regena B-It's a BOY
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys!! Suzy had me so confused--she didn't show any labor signs except for scratching her butt repeatedly on the wall. When she laid down, the baby was here within five minutes!!

His name is Harlem Heartthrob, aka "Mac"(after the CSI new york guy... which I didn't see the end of last night LOL). I havn't uploaded last night's pictures yet(they were not taken with my camera) but I do have some from this AM:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/CallawaysSuzy/HarlemHeartthrobAKAMac-1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/CallawaysSuzy/HarlemHeartthrobAKAMac2.jpg

He has SUCH an attitude too, more than any foal I've ever seen- all show horse!

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the name suits him...he is a little heartthrob...very stunning..Congrats again...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina, Congratulations! The long wait finally ended and a new one begins! Glad all went well.

Diana, I wish I could help. I'd be wearing Johnathan's straight jacket for sure! Hope someone can ease your mind. You might start a new thread asking about it, if you don't get many responses here. Good luck. I'm sending more of those foalin' vibes your way!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love CSI new york and I love your colt, he is stunning. Can't wait to see pictures of him outside moving.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on your new addition! He's lovely! nice and upright! leggy too!

L

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I hesitate to say this, but my mare is showing progression and just might foal this week-end. She was pushing butt VERY hard against the fence, with tail deliberately pulled to the side. Have never SEEN her do that before. But then again, she is out to pasture most of the day, so I could have missed it.

She is definetely elongated some-and now she stays in that state, instead of sucking it up whenever I peek under her tail. I have not checked PH today. She just seemed to uncomfortable to be messed with.

She was yawning, which she's done before. But also licking and chewing. That's new. And she was licking the dirt in her corral? Has anyone seen this before? She has a trace mineral salt lick in her corral and is getting the appropriate grain and all the alfalfa she wants. Her appetite has dropped some. She was really chowing down before.

Well, anyway, this could be the night. I think she is 342 days today. Thank-goodness I got the camera working again! I love it! But at the moment, she is just standing in her corral, where she always does, wanting out into the pasture and watching the goats. She seems to think she is a sheepdog lately. LOL

BUT the most action she has been showing since I got on this board, is some tail swishing.

DUHHapist, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait, I have an open beer here. OK. I'm good now! LOL

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey CJ! My mare eats dirt too! Actually digs up dirt clots and eats them! My first thought as well was, "Wow, wonder if that feed has everything she needs in it?" But some of the weirder ones just do that.
Now that your camera is working, mine has gone out. It is storming like mad, 50mph wind, small hail, and a lot of lightning. So, she set the foal alarm off and I had to go tredging down there to check it out...yuck! She has been at 3 squares on the strips for 4 days now,and I can honestly say it's beginning to get to me. I tested her at dark tonight, then again when I went down just now. It has actually changed some, and her vulva wraps all the way down to her legs....udder at the floor, don't know what her issue is! LOL I really have to figure out what the issue is with the camera. So, I'm off to check the GFCI plug! Good luck with your mare! Mine is at 372 today and she's a mini! they usually don't go that long...(sigh)Cheers!

crystal d e
Neonate
Username: Rackinon

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine eats dirt too. She has everything she could possiable want or need and she eats dirt. Go figure.

How close am I????????

Here is some photos of my mare from today. Her udders are full and they are very hard is this normal? I think she has dropped a lot in the last week but i'm new at this so I would like your opinions. It looks like her valva is relaxing but i don't think it is all of the way. I also think her tail head has relaxed. She has been biting at her side alot and rubbing her butt for about a week. She eats her grain a lot slower somtimes not eating it all. She has been drinking a lot of water. She seems very uncomfortable shifting weight frequently. Also when she lays down she will kind of sit up and rocks foward and backward. i posted a pic let me know what you think. Thanks Crystal

She is at day 332 today

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn190/rackinon/

Deborah E. Matusek
Neonate
Username: Laddeb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my first time to post--I think I posted earlier in the wrong place. I have a maiden paint mare that had huge white gobs of wax on her teats Monday, April 28 (300 days in foal). Her udder was full, teats full. That evening, the huge white gobs were gone, but small honey-colored gobs still there. The rest of this week, her udder is a little swollen in the mornings, and down in the evenings. No more wax! She has been slowly bagging up since 4/1/08 and tail rubbing since about 4/07/08. I have foaled out 4 mares in the last 10 years for a total of 10 foals--and never seen anything like the wax I saw on this mare! Any one have any ideas as to why, and how soon I should expect her to foal? Her due date is not until June 9.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 399
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Crystal. I don't have enough experience to say. I'm sorry, I hope someone can help.

Thanks for the info. about dirt. I've nev erseen her doing it before.

Deborah, welcome! I hear the wax is normal. There are pictures posted somewhere, of teats waxed with long beads of wax. So I think it is okay.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 405
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to mention, thank-you for letting me know your mares eat dirt too! I've never seen her do it before. She was licking a place where some straw got wet at the edge of her stall, from water draining from the trough. It sat a couple days before I realized it and cleaned it up. Odd, but I won't worry about it now.

Diana, I got cold just thinking about you going out in that storm to check on the cameras. Did you get them going, or did you have to keep going to the barn?

Also wanted to mention, my girl pushed her butt against the rails so hard of her pole coral, that she popped the plastic ties (forget what they are called, but they are tough) that I had used to attached the boards at the bottom! She must be having some real pressure there to do that! So, it must be soon. I still don't have good shade though, and my vet is out of town, so I hope she waits.

Amy LaMothe
Neonate
Username: Caton08

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our mare is at 342 days. She has waxed for 2 days, rubbed her butt against the wall for 4 days, kicked at her stomach, swishing of the tail for 5 days, biting at her sides for what seems like forever and still nothing. Any suggestions?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 524
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does her vulva and bag look? Have you owned her for past foalings?

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We bred her 8 years ago and I don't remember her doing all the above for this long. I am watching her tonight and she is pushing and rubbing her rearend against the wall. Maybe tonight will be the night!!

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She has been bagged up for 2 weeks now and she started waxing 2 days ago. Her milk is not dripping though.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 687
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Amy!!!!

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I would like to see her go tonight.....it has been a long week watching her do nothing on the web cam

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 688
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the feeling. :-)

Beth Sanford
Yearling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey yall! Well, Sally is 348 days today and is beginning to labor a little. She went in her stall like always and nothing was unusual, until I did a final check after feeding before leaving the barn and she was broke out in a cold sweat all the way around her belly and chewing her hips. She also was just picking at her feed. Hopefully it'll happen tonight!

Dumplin is due in 7 days and is not really showing any impressive signs at all! Fancy is her usual self.

Lady and little Sugar are doing great....Sugar plays all day outside with mom and then drives her nuts at night wanting to nurse every 5 min!! LOL

I'm currently doing the "have the baby" dance!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 525
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy and Beth-happy, healthy foaling vibes are being sent your way! I hope tonight is the night for both of you!

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well last night wasn't it either :-( She is kicking at her stomach alot this morning. The vet said if she didn't have it within the next 2 days that he wanted to check her to see if everything is ok

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy,
Not that there is anything wrong with the vet checking to make sure things are okay but why is he so concerned?? Is it because she is acting so close?? She is only 343 days today and the normal range of gestation for horses is 320-370.

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He wants to know if the baby is wrapped up in the cord. She has been showing signs of possible labor for a week. He has an ultrasound machine. She was waxing but hasn't had any more since yesterday.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy, I hope everything is alright. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you. Why is he waiting 2 days, if he is that concerned, I wonder?

Is her vulva loose?

Beth? Baby yet? Hope so. I know what it's like to wait! LOL

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy~Fingers and toes crossed that everything is okay....

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her vulva is somewhat loose, it seems to change everyday. He has to come out tomorrow to look at our other horse and will check her then. I am on my way to check her as the camera is down again. If only these mares could talk!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that Amy! LOL. I'm glad he is coming today. You are probably ready for DUHH relief! Maybe he can kick it into high gear.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope all is okay with the baby then.

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked her and she is still her boring self with nothing going on. Hopefully everyone kicks into high gear with their birthing vibes so we can get this over with. Has anyone had any new babies since yesterday????

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 540
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any babies, Beth?

Amy Harryman
Neonate
Username: Babbled911

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have posted on another topic but now we have graduated to this one!! YEAH!! I am new to this. My mare is about to foal. My question is she bagged up HUGE on Friday and it got biggger over the weekend. When we went out to check on her not last night but previous night she was still kinda boggy in her bag and she was engorged with white beady wax. It was hot here (97) yesterday so I dont know if this is what changed it or what (remember I am new :-) ) Last night and this AM her bag/teats is hard no bead and you can not express any thing out. I have not been expressing anything prior i just touch around and it came out before in drips. Is it normal for them to get so hard feeling/engorged? I am sure I am just a little anxious but I have never done this and am unpatiently waiting now :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Amy

Yes..normal...sometimes with some turn out excercise the bag will deflate some..you are getting close especially if her bag stays hard even with excercise. Is there any milk yet? If so what color?

Amy Harryman
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was milk, creamy white i honestly didnt notice if sticky/watery or all these other descriptions just the color.. on Sunday day/evening Monday early morning. I didnt express it it just would drip if bag was touched. But When i noticed her teats to be so hard and her bag so firm i did try to express a little with no luck. She has not lost her bag it just has tightened up. her wax beads were cream/yellow colored almost the color on this board.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy...you are on official foal watch!!! :-) Can't be long now!

Amy Harryman
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok here is the latest pictures. Does all this look close normal? I want it to be over its killing me!! I am worse than a kid waiting for santa!!

Udders== they are so hard to touch.. nothing still coming out.. but no fever to them. the boggy bag is just firm .. doesnt shrink at all during the day

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/100_0841.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/100_0843.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/100_0844.jpg

this was Friday when it was boggy.. the others above are from today..

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/IMG00285.jpg

She has these huge veins sticking out now today.. these are more noticable today than yesterday.. what are these? do they mean we are close??? :-) I am hoping for it if you cant tell..

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/100_0852.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/100_0850.jpg

Her vulva at an angle...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/100_0854-1.jpg

Her HUGE belly..

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/100_0847.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/100_0846.jpg

and Lady,

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/babble911/P1010135.jpg

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Amy she is getting really close. Does she have any milk yet? I would say when she gets white milk you are within hours.. She looks good! Really good. she is such a pretty mare :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 461
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy, pretty close! My bet is 5/27 filly!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy, Pretty girl! We're all waitin for the good news!

Beth, what about you? I'm checking the announcement page too. Hope all is well.

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi girls, we are still waiting for Kayla to foal. She started to stream milk today when she walks and it drips when she is standing still. She just lost her pasture mate to colic. We had to put him down last night. Could the stress from that cause her to delay her foaling or should it make it happen faster?

Amy Harryman
Nursing Foal

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more quick question. Lady's bag and teats are still really rock hard. Today they are very warm to touch. Does this mean infection? there is no discharge or milk. Is this normal ? I am just worried.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's okay that her bag is warm and hard. You can squeeze a teat to check the fluid in there. Unlike milking some animals, you have to squeeze the end of the teat to get anything. I'm sure she has some fluid in there. Don't worry.

I'm really sorry about your loss of her pasture mate. That must be hard. I don't know if it will affect her pregnancy. She might feel more nervous though, without her horse pal.

Amy LaMothe
Neonate

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kayla seems to just be really quiet now that she doesn't have Moxie. I hope she foals soon as she keeps getting bigger and bigger every day. She now has whiteish colored milk streaming from her udder.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to tell you this, but my mare did that a few weeks before she foaled. Hopefully, your's won't follow the same pattern.

Beth Sanford
Yearling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, still no new babies here. Sally is 355 days and Dumplin is 345 days. Both have shown about every sign they can.....and haven't done anything yet. DUHH is running rampant!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy, Beth, baby? I wish you some relief here! DUHH will end someday! Hope it already has or does, today! For you both! Sending those vibes your way.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to join in, I posted on the May thread but I'll post here too :-) Tali is very irritated tonight, kicking at her belly biting at her legs. She's holding her tail up and her vulva looks swollen. Her bag is filling and the milk has a slight white tinge to it. I'll be up all night checking on her, here we go!

Here's some pics from tonight.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/004-4.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/002-3.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/001-4.jpg

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be tonight, I hope so, for you sake and hers. lol... good luck Tracy!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Tali did not deliver last night but I got to see her standing in her stall every 2 hrs all night long! Today her milk is definitely skim milk color and she has veins popping out all over her stomach and legs. I can't help but think we are close!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Tracy! Boy, these mares can make us nuts, huh? Hang in there. She's looking good. How many days pregnant now? Are you getting sleep?

Good luck with some DUHH relief!!! Sending good foaling vibes your way!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have exact breeding dates on her, was told that she was bred "beginning of July" so she's approx 325 days or so.

I just took a small nap as I'm sure I'll be up all night tonight. Now I get to enjoy the whole DUHH syndrome!

Amy Harryman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had our baby..!!!!(MULE) :-( that's ok.. If you didnt read our story on that here goes.. to understand our crzyness!!

I bred my mare last April to a HORSE stud. The last date that she bred was April 20th, 2007. She went out of heat per the breader friend of ours. She came home. She never showed any interest for our male donkey(yes I know i could have missed it!!) Well with the stud HORSE she was due around March 28..

So here it is 2 months later and its a mule..but not an easy delivery..
my mare Lady decided to deliver on our pond dam while I put her out in the pasture this am (with no signs of what was to come today). Well baby fell off the 8 ft drop into the pond at some point.. Luckily my neighbor who checks on her daily with us and when we are not home had just pulled in.. Lady was running back and forth from the pond to the fence in our backyard.. about 50 yds away.. she was stressed and going crazy.. my friend saw the placenta hanging partially out and then looked around and saw a head look up from the water in the pond. He called two other neighbors over and in their tightie whities they jumped in pond with out thinking twice and pulled that baby to safety!!! She is doing so good and is so happy!! We have pooped/pee'd and eating very well!! Lady just now though passed her placenta its midnight.. we found baby at 715pm.. Had to go to vet to get meds to help her pass placenta b/c the sack had ripped off at the cord and was not expelling. and we are on antibiotics.. But all is well and we finally have something.. its a colt named Slick .. named by his rescuers!! b/c he was slick going up!! and slick going down:-)

Ill post pictures tomorrow when I wake!! Good night foal watch is over for us!!! :-) Good luck to the rest of you!!!! Thank you for all of your help and support!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy that was the most amazing delivery story I've ever read. That mule of yours is darn lucky! Poor mama running around, so scared for her little one.

Well, all ended well, thank God for good neighbors. I always heard that mules are tough animals, I'm totally convinced. lol

Congratulations, I'm so much looking forward to pictures. Would you take pictures of how the situation looked? I'd like to see pictures of the dam and where the mule baby dropped off and where it ended up. If you could I would love to see it.

Thanks, Marilyn

Amy Harryman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the pictures of Slick and Lady- check out those ears!!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/IMG00291.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/Picture008.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/Picture015.jpg

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/?action=view&current=Picture0 01.flv

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/?action=view&current=Picture0 03.flv

Proud Papa

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/IMG00293.jpg

Pond- in the little clearing you can see in the middle its about 7 ft wide on the dam that is where she had him in the shade and that is where he was found..

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/Picture018.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/Picture019.jpg

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW Amy~ He is darling! What a story to share! He is already so bossy, bossing mom around :-) I bet you become a mule lover now! Love those ears!

Amy Harryman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan , Will enjoy this one.. But will try again for a Horse next year.. Daddy Donkey scheduled for a fixin' in two weeks!! Until then they are in seperate pastures!!! We will not do this one again :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a cute little guy! I was picturing a whole different scenerio, thanks for sending the pictures. He's adorable and a toughie!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, love his ears! What an amazing story, I'm so glad it all turned out well :-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's too, tooooooo cute! What a treasure. I love the name Slick, too! Glad you finally have a baby. Ahhhhhhh.

Is everything going well so now you can sleep?

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a darn cutie! Congrats...whatcha gonna do with him? Momma is still very proud!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats!!! He is too cute!!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Amy!! he is sooo cute!.
I also think Lady was very smart choosing by herself her baby´s dad. Who are we to pick for our mares??.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana, that is so funny!

Amy, I hate to admit this, but I must have been in a hurry and didn't read the whole post about how Slick was born! My gosh! What a rescue! Thank goodness for great neighbors! Wow!

Amy Harryman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So thank you all for your posts.. We unfortantly lost slick overnight to NI. :-( So through it all the trooper made it through one battle but not the other.. Thanks for all the good info.. and good luck to the rest of you!!!

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Amy :-(

Tracy- Do you have a baby yet?!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a foal!!!!!! She delivered last night at 11:50 pm. I checked her at 10:30 and no signs (other than milk drops on her udder but this has been going on for awhile). My husband looked at her at 11:40 and said she was laying down but not doing anything. I didn't trust him so I went to look for myself. Not even 5 minutes had passed and when I got to the barn, the foal was there! What a sneaky girl

Sorry it took me so long to post but I had ankle surgery today so I was gone until recently. Oh, and it's a boy :-)

Here's the pictures. This is what I saw when I came out to check on her.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/085.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/094.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/099.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/103.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/107.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/003-3.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/022.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/032-1.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/007-6.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures. Can you tell I'm already in love?!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy you couldn't have ordered a prettier colt! He is a beauty. I'm so happy for you, you deserve it!

How did your surgery go? I'm glad that ordeal is over with too. There's so much for you to look forward to now. Yea!!!

Amy Harryman
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, what a beautiful colt!! The markings are so beautiful. I really love that picture of the two of them where it looks like the are snuggling face to face. And who says that animals dont have feelings. That is such a great pair you have.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry Amy for your foal. Sending you hugs...
What is NI?.

Tracy, he is gorgeous... congratulations. I can see why you are in love!. I also love that pictures of them with their heads together, you should enter it to a contest. How is your stallion´s leg doing?.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone!

My surgery went very well and so far I'm feeling pretty good. The hard part is my Dr wants me doing NOTHING and I want to be out at the barn staring at my new boy! My husband has been taking lots of pics for me. :-)

Mariana, thanks for asking. Reggie is doing ok, the vet is coming out on Saturday to take out his stitches and reevaluate his leg. The hard part is he's very fit from being in training so he's not happy being locked up in a stall. He's doing a lot of pacing :-( I don't think he'll be able to be turned out for awhile because the vet seems to think he cut a nerve and that can take a long time to heal. When he doesn't take it slow he trips over his hoof and comes down on his ankle, it would be very easy to break something if he tried to run around.

He is back home now so I'll try to take some good pictures :-)

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Tracy. He's gorgeous!

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's just gorgeous Tracy! Congrats!

Send Reggie my Get Well Soon wishes :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some bad news guys. :-( The vet was just out to check mom and foal (both very healthy!) and he took a look at Reggie's leg. He said the wound is starting to be slightly infected but not horrible. He injected some antibiotic cream directly in to the wound and rewrapped his leg. He also said that it looks like Reggie did permanent damage to his nerves and will need to learn how to move his leg correctly. This means he could potentially have a career ending injury. My vet said to stay optimistic but also be realistic. I'm so sad!

I'm trying to stay positive as many people have told me they have had bad news like this before and the horse went on to heal fine and be fine so that's what I'm going by. The good news is that he gave me the green light to go ahead and breed Tali to Reggie on her foal heat if I wanted to. He said his leg injury shouldn't affect him breeding to her at all, so yay!

Keep sending me prayers guys, I need it!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, this really sucks! I'm sorry to hear such sad news, but Reggie is young and hopefully he'll heal just fine. It's fantastic Reggie is well enough to breed.

I will pray for Reggie to heal quickly and completely.

God bless you Tracy
Marilyn

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn :-)

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry Tracy... you must be so worried!. He is young and you are taking good care of him, so hopefully he will recover completely. I will keep all my fingers crossed and send all the good healing vibes your way.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mariana :-) The vet will be out again on Monday to take his stitches out and check his leg, hopefully he'll look better then :-)

Anney Daugherty
Neonate
Username: Winsmorefarm

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cute colt Tracy. I hope that he will be alright.

Ok, I'm starting to stress a little more now...My mare - Alexa is due any day! We are currently at 336 days and counting. Her belly seems to continue to drop a little bit, her croup is still relaxing and milk is light honey colored. I have been testing her calcium levels, but they have been below 50 for the last three days, so I'm wondering if perhaps I'm doing the test wrong. I have cameras on her at night and have been wrapping her tail and washing her hind end and udder every night - just in case. And of course my husband is away on business until Friday p.m. - all the way in FL. Between my friend's mare aborting in April and my neighbor's filly being euthanized due to birth defect, I am just praying for a healthy foal and mare...

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anney,
Sending you HEALTHY FOAL VIBES!!!!!!!!

L

Anney Daugherty
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Laurie. I really, really really appreciate that. No baby last night. Tonight when checking mare, her croup seemed a little more relaxed, but I'm really having a difficult time believing that her calcium level is >50. Her milk sample seemed to be a deeper yellow tonight and not much else has changed. Although Alexa has foaled out before (while she was still in Germany), I have nothing to go by with her. I'm almost starting to believe that she will never have this baby...

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anney~Hang in there! She can't hold on to it forever! It just feels like forever :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anney, after doing this many times and even trying the foal predictor kit I have found that the best true indicator of impending delivery is the color of the milk. When it turns thick white that you can not see thru then the mare will usually foal within 24 hours. I usually check in the morning and at night. It has been right on every time for me.

Anney Daugherty
Neonate

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks also to Jan and Tracy - I will try to convince myself of this each day. This is my third time foaling out - the first two mares (four yrs ago and one last year) both foaled out without me. My first time I was actually in a car accident (not at my own farm) coming home in the middle of the night after staying on watch for almost a week. My mare waited until the night after my accident, and I got back to the barn right after my filly was born. Last year, my friend's mare foaled out at my place, but we didn't have an exact breeding date (just the month), and this mare waited until the a.m. (of course after I had been up all night and was finally convinced that she wasn't having it) - so I missed that one too. Luckily for me both foals were healthy and mare were too. Actually I also missed the foaling out of my two-year old filly too - but I was leasing the mare and the owner was foaling her out (I was trying to be there down in So. Cal., but filly was born three weeks early - to everyone's suprise and was huge! This time - I am not missing it! The good news is that tonight when I checked her calcium levels we are at 55 - so we've gone up at least five points on that! I was beginning to think that either I or the test were defective. Her milk was still a little yellow with more opaque in it, so that tells me that we are getting closer. However, last night she was up and down (which is the firt time that she has acted like this) and swishing her tail and stomping - but NO baby.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anney, isn't it crazy what we put ourselves through for our animals, sleepless nights and worry. I'm sure it'll be soon and then the fun will begin. Good luck, I hope you're there for this birth and that it goes smoothly, with no complications. I will keep my fingers crossed. :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anney~You are getting really close, probably in the next few days!

Anney Daugherty
Neonate

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn. Sounds like you'll be joining the group from sleep deprivation (if you haven't already) before too long. I hope that your mare and baby are healthy too. You are so right, you have no idea...(sometimes I think my hubby get jealous). I actually put a larger fan with a misting system in her stall yesterday due to the heat and lack of wind. She loves it so much that she moved her feeding tub over so that she could be right in front of it. Thanks to Jan too - I hope that she delivers sometime this next week as my hubby has another business trip and leaves next Sunday. I'm hoping that I not going to have to rely on my 9 yr. old or 13 yr. old for assistance - if needed...unless I can convince my 20 yr. old to give up a few nights of her social life - so far I have not. Her calcium level went up to around 64 - so we made a little bit of progress, but the appearance of her milk didn't really seem to change. I just ran out of Raspberry Leaves and my new order has not arrived yet - I noticed that her udder doesn't not appear as full (which may or may not have anything to do with it), but hopefully they will arrive soon today or Monday.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the raspberry leaves for? I'd make tea with them while on foal watch! LOL

Anney Daugherty
Nursing Foal

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I start giving them to the pregnant mares about 3 mos before foaling and keep them on for about 3 - 6 months afterward - depending on mare. Raspberry leaves help with uterine contractions (during foaling and afterwards) - also works with humans too; and also helps with milk production, as well as quality of milk. But cannot be used with dogs - according to my vet. It was recommended to my by a very good friend who is a breeder and pretty much does all of her own vet work. My personal breeding vet was a little skeptical until last year when she was telling me about the number of foals that were having low iGg scores and she kept running out of plasma for transfusions. She was expecting the same thing, especially being that this particular mare we had rescued off the track (she was almost shipped to Phillipines for who knows what) and was already pregnant, though no one knew how far along she was. She was a very hard keeper and we really didn't know what to expect. This was the mare that foaled out in the early a.m. after I had been on foal watch all night with nothing occurring. Anyway, my vet was amazed at the quality of her milk and the iGg test score was the highest she had ever seen (don't remember the score off the top of my head though - sorry). Then also last year a surrogate QH mare that was carrying a WB foal (poor thing) was also put on the raspberry leaves too. She wound up foaling out at Equine Hospital due to the potential of a large WB foal trying to come out of a 15 hand QH mare. The birthing actually went alright, but baby tore his bladder and had to have surgery shortly thereafter. But, again the vets were all amazed at how high the iGg score was (also the highest they had every seen) and the quality of the milk. I purchase them from www.herbalcom.com. You can get them cut/sifted or ground. I am currently using the cut/sifted and give 1/2 (due to consistency). If you decide to use ground, then about 1 TBL.

jennifer myers
Neonate
Username: Tequila

Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello, i have a mare that is 340 days today. she has ben bagged up for 7 wks, rolling and kickin her belly for a wk,last week she got the v shape her tail is sunk and her volva is realy swollen and long. her milk is thick like wax kinda a cloudy yellow.does she sound like shes getting close? my husband said im getting kinda like an air head from staying up all night going to the barn:-)

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 865
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds close..any way to post some pics?

jennifer myers
Neonate

Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know how to post picts on hear. just went out to check her. her milk smells realy sweet. and its thick light yellowy color.she has bloody crustys on her rear end and way sunk in around her tail and jello like

jennifer myers
Neonate

Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tonight she is rubbing all over everything. her rear is realy swollen and dark pinkish maroon inside? hope we have a baby by morning:-)

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 867
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sound like a long night for you...hopefully a productive one. While you are waiting between watching, you should go to photobucket.com and set up a free account to post pics! Its not fair to tease with no photos

jennifer myers
Neonate

Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try and o so. im on my way to the barn to check on her now. keep all your fingers crossed she does something TONIGHT:-)

jennifer myers
Neonate

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well no baby yet:-( maby today. she has some slimmy gew on her rear this morning, called the vet and she said sounds like her waters about to break.her bag is tight and hot with a little wax.so maby we,ll have an easter baby:-)

michelle loring
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintedmini1

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like she is headed for an Easter baby to me...the slimmy gew was probably her mucus plug! All else points to her foaling soon so WATCH HER CLOSELY!!!!GOOD LUCK! Happy Easter

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Jennifer, here's hoping for an Easter Baby.

DTQH
Nursing Foal
Username: Dtqh

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to all that had babies!

Amy, I'm so sorry for your loss, and hang in there Tracey, I've seen some pretty miraculous comebacks!

Well, the only difference in Asia today is frequent runnier poops. She gets very restless, kicks her belly, paws, then rests. Still only half bagged up. Dang maidens!

jennifer myers
Neonate

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i have the vet coming out today to check on my mare "tequila", she had clear stuff driping from her rear last night so i slept in the barn and nothing.her wax fell off and is forming again. shes at 343 days.looks like the baby could just fall out today.

sheila kelleher
Nursing Foal
Username: Innishfael

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jennifer, did your mare foal?

Bryany Walker
Neonate
Username: Bryany

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! I am so loving this site! It is so nice to have such a wealth of knowledge out there. I have been so stressed. My QH mare is currently at 362 days. This is the first time we have ever bred this mare, but she is not a maiden mare (2 previous foals). Her utters are HUGE! And I am still trying to get the whole "waxing over"thing too. Her vulva is very relaxed, she has a very prominent "V", but she is not dripping any milk. I have not tried to milk her yet. Nothing has changed in her attitude; in fact she is so laid back and calm like she is just taking it all in. Meanwhile, I have a few less hairs, and few more bags under my eyes. I am not sure if it is from staying up at night either checking on her or staying up all night reading these wonderful posts!

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome aboard . Don't forget your pictures. So we all can compare our mares

Deb Anderson
Weanling
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like the mom to a teenage girl. One day flat the next day we have boobs!!! Our mare is at 301 days today and yesterday - no udder, today a nice one shaping up.

Sheila Brookins
Breeding Stock
Username: Sheilabrookins

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryany,I know how you feel!My mare Molly is either 376 or 369 days today!Can you post some pics?

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryany, sounds like she's ready to pop, at least you know it's coming soon. I'm on 344 days with mare number 6 of this year, she's the last one and I really just want her to get it over and done with at this stage. If she goes to 362 days I'll be bald, it's been a long few months with the first one foaling on the 28th January and still waiting for the last. Would love to see pics of your mare

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Addie - not 362 - Dessie is going at 355!

Bryany Walker
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel so welcome...thanks to all! I will pics today and see if I can figure out how to post them.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryany - we can help with that, too

(Message edited by katheekj on April 22, 2009)

Bryany Walker
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok...I am not even going to try and figure this out on my own...I need help with loading pictures please

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they already on your computer? And did you set up a username on photobucket.com?

Bryany Walker
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are on my computer but I will set up user name in photo book now.

Bryany Walker
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Kathee! okay...so I now have a user name in photobucket and am currently uploading photos...how do I share with this bullentin?

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once they are uploaded, there will be a link displayed below each photo. You can click on that link to highlightt it and then copy it and paste it directly into the box you type the text for this board. Are you familiar with copy and paste functions on a computer? If not, I will be more specific.

Bryany Walker
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...hopefully this will work. This is the first time I have tried to post pics. These pics do not do Chance justice...she is 15 hands, but 1250 pounds when she is not pregnant.

Side Shot-
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/bryanywalker/IMG_2062.jpg

Udder-
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/bryanywalker/IMG_2064.jpg

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It worked! Beautiful mare with a great looking udder...but I wouldn't expect less at 362 days! Are you just posting pics or did you have a question for the board? I forgot!

Diane Loveday
Breeding Stock
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryany, Very nice looking mare and she looks very ready to foal. Her udder is larger than my nursing mare's.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryany - at 362 days, Chance deserves her own foal watch thread. Would you like to start one?

Bryany Walker
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee...come to think about it...I never posted my question. I got so overwhelmed with the wealth of knowledge, that my brain was on overload. I have been watching my mare's udders for what seems like a month now(ever since she stared bagging up), and I can see no change as far as "waxing over" goes. I have read all the posts, but I wanted to know if anyone out there could look at her udders and give me any guidance as far as wax or no wax. That is probably not an easy task, as my picture's are not the best. I But if anyone could see any waxing and point it out I would be greatly appreciative. }
I am not really sure what a foal watch thread is. I just stumbled across this bullentin today, so I am still learning.

Diane--Chance has always been a great milker. I purchased her in 2007 along with her two month old foal and her bag stayed that big the entire time she nursed.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will start her one. It just is a topic dedicated to Chance under the Foal Watch section instead of WHo is Seeing Signs section. Most people start one for their mares around 300 or so days so Chance definately deserves her own spotlight at 362! You can post all of her specific updates there and you will have a ton of responses. It keeps your questions from getting mixed up with other questions.

Bryany Walker
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok...thanks Kathee for all of your help...you have been great!

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK - I started her thread and copied her pics and your questions there. I find it easiest to just click on the New Posts for the last 1 day and it will bring up everything posted the last 24 hours. It will also change the color of what you have already read. After you post, the board automatically takes you to the top of the page. That is where the yellow box is that says New Posts and it gives you the options of previous 1 day, 3 days, etc. Just click on the 1 day and you will see many topics and thier indivual threads (sub topics) listed underneath. There is a topic called Ready and Waiting Foal Watch 2008-2009. Chance is now the first thread. Send us a message there if you find it so we will know you are not lost in cyber land!

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone! Lady has all the signs and this evening it was weird. I was watching her belly as the foal was quite active and it looked like a litter of puppies in her belly instead of a foal. It was kinda awkward. Her udder is swollen and her female area is so swollen and long that it wont even close all the way. She is also somewhat of a rose color inside and having some blood and discharge. I have everyone else locked up in stalls except for the 25 y/o mare whom Lady has buddied up with and gets upset and restless when she cant see her. (This is the same mare Lady hates called Annie) Anywho, Lady is also walking stiff in her hind end and is somewhat loose in the muscles around her tail, All of her viens from the girth line back are very visable and she keeps sweating under her mane. Her temp seems to be fluctuating alot although shes been on the warm side for about 3 days. (we have been having temps outside in the 90's) She wont express milk but with this girl that says absolutly nothing as she was dry for the most part up until her first colt was born. Her nipples are pointing down mostly and she is REALLY tender on her belly and hip. Also her back normally has that nice quarter horse slope to it and tonight her back was somewhat arched up starting about half way down her back to her hips. She also has dropped alot to the point of her back bone and hips being visable. I know she is not under in weight because this only showed up yesterday/today and she gets approx. 4-5 pounds of grain each feeding and all the bermuda hay and green grass she can eat. (she is somewhat of a hard keeper during the last tri-mester this is the feeding that the vet recomended) She is eating a 14% sweet feed made for all horses including preggo & lactating mares, nursing foals, performance, stallions, and senior horses. PLEASE if anyone could clue me in on when to camp out that'd be great! Oh and did I mention that she is big enough to have twins in her belly? The doc told me it may just be extra weight but it could be twins or a very large foal. He couldnt get a good reading on the ultra sound. Thanks everyone! Lady does have her own thread which this will also be posted on. Here is the link- http://www.equine-reproduction.com/board/messages/32196/32731.html?1240271779 I will get more photos of Lady as soon as possible.

Michele Bluemel
Neonate
Username: Emkjbluemel

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna blow everyones mind! I have a 17 yr old maiden mare that is 384 days bred! I'm about to lose my mind! Had her ultrasounded at 365 days, vet said baby is in position looks good size no problem, just wait! Called him 380 days he still says wait! I'm just not seeing this mare progressing. a little of a bag but not like what I've seen today on this thread. She enlongates her vulva at night, then nothing the next morning. Thats been going on for a month! No waxing! Help I'm going to lose my mind!

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how you had the sanity to even post!

Baraaks_Storm
Nursing Foal
Username: Baraaks_storm

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm in the waiting game as well now. Last Wednesday my vet came and palpated my mare, Lady, and said anytime in 7 days. She's yet to foal and she's on 8 days now. I thought for sure it was going to be last night as she ate her dinner then went down her vulva was open and she was breathing hard. She strained like she was going to pee twice but nothing. When she got back up she kicked her straw bales (which she's never done before). After that she stayed up until 5 am when she slept down.

She's bagged up and hard but I am not able to express anything but a few drops out of her and its mostly clear. She is a maiden though so I'm not counting on the milk. She's laying down a lot in the pasture during the day and isn't interested in grazing too much but is eating just fine at night. She's pacing a lot a night, swishing her tail and shaking head. She's holding her tail up, and shifting her weight constantly. She didn't want me messing with her teats today and she's been very good about that until this morning. She's also nipping at her belly, and kicking the ground a lot now. Her vulva is relaxed and opening every now and then. Her belly is also dropped and her back end is mushy.

I did bring her in for a bath today and when I put her in the stall to dry, she pee'd and I noticed some blood after she finished drip down her a bit. Is that normal or should I be worried?

The only other foal that I've had myself was a maiden who decided to pour milk the night she foaled, and she didn't show half the signs as Lady is now but she did have the milk.

Baraaks_Storm
Nursing Foal
Username: Baraaks_storm

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ignore the message above, I posted it in the foal watch of 2009.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 930
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryany, tell me you have a foal?? Maybe you posted on the announcement page. I'll check. I have had a lot of computer issues lately, so I'm not consistent.

Someone on here went 391 days.

ruth leann fowble
Neonate
Username: Fowble1228

Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi i'm new and been trying to post on here but can't ever find it afterwards but anyway i got a rescue mare in may and she looked terrible well now everyone says shes bred and due anyday from her looks so i thought i would ask some of you on here since you have mares ready the main problem with her is she has a 3 month old colt with her but i'm thinking maybe it wasn't hers
[IMG]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/fowble1228/lopside.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/fowble1228/05114842.jpg[/IMG]
please any help out there vet want be here for several days and i have posted this on here before but can't find it so please someone let me know if this shows up e-mail fowble1228@yahoo.com

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She definitely looks pregnant to me. It will be interesting to see what the vet has to say. Is the 3 month old foal still nursing on her? This could be a problem if she is preg.

ruth leann fowble
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what r some of the main things to watch for if she is bred and ready i can't do much bout her bag since she has a colt on her please help

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing to watch for is softening of the tail muscle, it will be like jello. Also keep an eye on her flank area, usually just before foaling the foal will start to move into position and fill up the flanks. One concern is that if she is actually is in foal that the 3 month old will end up consuming any colostrum that she will make for the foal. I would definitely try to get a vet out as soon as possible to palpate her so you know what direction to take with her. Good luck!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 944
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, I'm confused. How can she be more than about six weeks gestation, if the foal is only three months old? I do understand that you suspect it may not be her's.

I'd absolutely get a vet check. And like Beth said, there is a danger, if she is due to foal and the three month old is nursing, that it will take the colostrum, if she is producing any even. I'm not sure she would, if she is being nursed on.

Also, she may hurt the foal when she gives birth. I don't know if the foal can continue to stay with her, if she gives birth, but certainly not, while giving birth. So it is really important to find out what is going on here.

You've come to the right place for lots of great information, but please do have a preg. check done and let the vet advise you on this.

And please let us know what you find out. I have seen horses that look pregnant after they have had a foal, or lost one, for awhile. The other thing is, she could have some serious problem. so once again, please get her checked, ASAP.

And let us know what happens please. I am very curious about this.

ruth leann fowble
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the advise problem is my hubby got laid off and now we r running short on anything extra just keeping them in feed and hoof care is bout all we can do till he goes back to work hopefully next week she has been weaning this colt and her colt she had before this one nurseed up til this one was born then it died probably from hungar but i've been watching her close and the only thing that has changed is her flanks have filled out and it looks like i can see something moving but not sure if i have to pull the colt off her do u think it will be stunted i just wish we could get the vet out i'll post more pics tonight maybe someone else will notice a change thanks again

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once foals reach the 3 month mark, they can be weaned. It's better to go to four months, but if you wean at three, just make sure that his nutritianal needs are met properly using high quality young horse feed (I reccomend Omolene).

ruth leann fowble
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok here's pic from the start when we got her 1st one is in the middle of may (colt was 1 m/o ) 2nd one is middle of june then 1st of july and last one is from tonight can anyone see much diff. in the later ones

ps sorry bout that last post it sure was a mess to read but i had a 2 littles running around me so was trying to hurry lol
[IMG]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/fowble1228/before.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/fowble1228/2weekslater.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/fowble1228/05114842-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/fowble1228/S2010002-1.jpg[/IMG]

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is going to be my bet that the foal is HERS, and that she is not bred. It is very common for extremely thin horses to put all the weight back on the belly first. It is also very unlikely that she got bred in the condition that she was in, and even more unlikely that she would have taken on nursing a newborn foal (esp one that wasn't hers) while she was that thin. It is my bet that she foaled extremely thin, and you saved her.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You did save her and she looks so much better! I would worm her. It could be worms and she would do well to have a good worming.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 970
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, how is your mare doing? I understand the money issues and am sorry you've been hit by this economy. We had a sudden decrease in our income too and it really makes things hard.

Is the baby weaned? Does your mare still look pregnant?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US